TN: 05 Giscours

Michael-P

TN: 05 Giscours

Post by Michael-P »

05 Giscours (July 2009 in Dubai) – opened ala Francois 2.5 hours before pouring. Opaque, medium garnet red with hints of yellow/orange that makes it look a lot like blood. Nose of alcohol, blood, heat, roasted strawberry, black pepper, some chemical (formaldehyde?) that eventually blew off. Smooth, chewy, viscous, very concentrated and thick, smoke, meat, hints of coffee, overall balance of tannins and acid consistent but seems to lack fruit, some pepper spice in the finish.

2 hours, still tight and closed, some cherry now plus meat and blood.

5 hours, adds some coffee, cocoa, could this have an interesting future?

24 hours, a little better, still closed very thick and viscous but now smoke with touches of sweet cherry.

I think someone mentioned 05’s closing down and I think this is one too. Accordingly, 88 but based on its high concentration I’d guess it could be 91-92 in 10 years.
SteveH

Re: TN: 05 Giscours

Post by SteveH »

Giscours 2005 and your Dauzac seem promising for the future, Michael. I think your're right, they've closed.
As for the Reserve de PLL, I always prefer their Bernadotte property, and both are about the same price.
Thanks for your notes.

Michael, I suppose it's not all sand and headscarves over there.
Is Dubai the most liberal of the emirates? May locals drink there as well?

Steve
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Michael,

Thanks for the update. I'd expect this to be tight at this stage in its life along with many/most left bankers. I'm hoping on the optimistic 92 pt side with a case in the cellar sleeping.

Danny
Danny
billfgrady

Post by billfgrady »

Saw this recently at Sam's in Chicago for something close to $50. Almost pulled the trigger on a bottle or two but decided to pass at that price. I'm interested in what others think. I definitely like Giscours in most vintages (2000 was a favorite, what a great wine).
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think the '05 will turn out nicely - agree with Michael P and SteveH that it is probably closed right now. And $50 seems like a pretty good price for the wine at this point, though like almost all the '05s it's experienced a significant price escalation since the '00. Value is a relative thing...
sdr

Post by sdr »

Michael-P wrote:05 Giscours (July 2009 in Dubai) – opened ala Francois 2.5 hours before pouring.
I thought the purpose of the Audouze method of opening bottles was to aerate them very gently and slowly so as not to overdo the oxygenation and lose the bouquet. Therefore, I assumed it might be useful for old to very old bottles, but not for the young ones.

I find the concept interesting, but I have not found it necessary for any thing less than 50 years old, which is all I own.

~stuart
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Stuart:

You are correct about the methode Audouze, but in the case of an 05, I would have throw it all in a decanter a few hours early. Unfortunately, in Dubai, the largest glass container I have is a wine glass.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

All that sand and heat and no glass decanters? What's wrong with this picture?