1990 Leoville Barton
2000 Magdelaine
2003 Montrose
2004 Gracia

Sauternes:
1975 Rieussec
1989 Rieussec
1989 Suiduraut

Great wines and company, and the WOTN: (!)
2005 Bouchard Corton - congrats for a great bring MarcS. Thanks to David and Marcus for maki g this weekend happen and putting together the venues. And thanks to Nic and Jim for making the long trip down to see us!
DavidG

Re: BWE Impromptu Convention (6/15)

Post by DavidG »

A few more wines to add to Noah's list above:
2001 Guigal La Mouline
1986 La Lagune - I have a pic of this bottle but never made a note of tasting it.
1996 Pontet Canet - didn't get opened.

Great time. Too much fun to take any real notes but some highlights...

Champagne: 1996 Krug (though the other bubblies were just fine, including the Clos des Goisses - nothing tired or too acidic about that one)

Reds: 2005 Bouchard Corton - stole the thunder from some excellent Bordeaux. That said, my two favorite Bordeaux on the night, the 1989 Pichon Baron and 2000 Magdelaine, were not far behind. Also excellent and not far behind them were the 1986 Talbot and 1990 Leoville Barton. The 1970 Lascombes and 1971 Gruaud had terrific noses but couldn't quite deliver on the palate, but they were still very good and a real treat to drink. Nic brought a 2001 La Mouline, which was very heady and full of spice, oak, got a bit alcoholic at the end but another treat.

The 2014 Mikulski Meursaul Poruzots was fantastic.

Loved all the Sauternes, my favorite was the 1989 Rieussec.

The chef at Bistro Bis, Mac Buben, put together a fantastic menu. He's the son of owner Jeffrey Buben, and has trained at a number of all-star places, Le Bernardin, Inn at Little Washington... He came out to chat and kept us rapt with some tales of his prior kitchen adventures. Many were commenting that this was one of the best BWE meals we've ever had as a group.

I'll try to post some pics if I can get them sized right.

20190615_192709.jpg
20190615_192709.jpg (309.35 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

20190615_192733.jpg
20190615_192733.jpg (240.41 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

Chef Mac Buben
20190615_212002 Chef Marc Buben.jpg
20190615_212002 Chef Marc Buben.jpg (900.92 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

Our Fearless Leader:
20190615_213525 Jim Howaniec.jpg
20190615_213525 Jim Howaniec.jpg (646.76 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Awesome night and lineup. Glad to have a case of the 2000 Magdelaine, which also showed very well in Denver.

How’d the 82 Dominique show? That has been a long time favorite and it always seems to over perform, but I haven’t had it since BWE’17.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Heavy duty lineup. Almost never see Gracia mentioned!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Patrick, I really liked the La Dominique and thought it was drinking well. No specific notes, too busy having fun.

Arv, I had a couple of 2005 Gracia and found them a bit too modern for me, ended up selling the rest. The 2004 was not as ripe as I remembered the 2005.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Congrats on another successful BWE weekend. I would have joined in but we had our annual golf and wine member guest on Friday that had been booked before Christmas. Sounds like a great couple of nights with a strong showing from the purple Baron again. We also enjoyed the 1990 Leoville Barton and there's a wine that never disappoints. Still youthful,black currant,cedar perfect balance and great length. This wine has been simply ageless and still a long life ahead.

Well done in DC and sorry we couldn't make it.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, 2005 Bouchard Le Corton en magnum was my wine of the night, but then again the 2005 Burgundy vintage was a BWE wine of the year protest vote.
Just really smooth, I was surprised at how well it was drinking from what was a tannic vintage.
2005 Burgundy is truly one of the wine vintages of our lifetimes.
Along with the 2000 Pichon Baron, it was a strong weekend for past BWE wines of the year.
I, too, enjoyed the '90 Leoville Barton, although Nic said he didn't like it as much. There were two bottles there, I wonder if one was better than the other.
The Saturday night dinner was really fun, the food was just brilliant matched up with our fine French wines.
Had a chance to meet some really fun new BWEers, and even got some sound hearing aid advice.
Noah saved my life by pointng out the pistachios on my plate but, hey, that's what he does.
Peggy and I were plotting a U.S. Senate run, although a couple candidates jumped into the Democratic primary in Maine during the time I was in Washington.
Nic and I went to MacArthur's and Blac salt earlier in the afternoon. Nick was holding a 2015 GPL in his hand. I got a kick when the Bordeaux guy there said that GPL has been "underperforming its terroir" for decades.
We finished up in my room with a '96 d'Yquem that Chris brought in half bottle, and Nic and I wrapped up the festivities late into the night by uncorking my last 1996 Pontet Canet, which was in an absolutely spectacular place. Wow, it was really classic aged Pauillac, seems a pointe to me at age 23.
Rushing back to Maine today, thanks again to everyone, we will do it again soon!
marcs

Post by marcs »

This weekend was proof that BWE can bring the thunder on a totally impromptu weekend with like two weeks advance notice. Truly an awesome showing. And agree that Bistro Bis really rocked the dinner, food-wise one of the best I can remember, we should use them more (except that their room doesn't seem large enough to handle a full biennial Saturday night dinner).

A few thoughts on the wines -- there were so many tonight that I was dumping glasses of wines I liked and would have stuck with any other night. Typical hazard of a full-scale BWE dinner, when there are a year's worth of great wines in front of you and only a few hours to try them.

--I had the 1970 Lascombes in my glass for a while (it was one of the first wines I tried) and the palate really grew on me. With time it opening up and revealed a meaty midpalate that had some fruit depth and bacon fat. Score one for 1970. Agree that the 71 Gruaud was on its last legs though.

--the 2000 Magdelaine rocked, my first experience with that wine, it's a shame that you have to travel to Denver and make nice with Blanquito to sample any of the remaining U.S. supply. I was struck by the combination of sweetness with delicacy -- there was a pervading sweetness to the palate but the texture was very light and lifted, and the finish was crisp.

--my second 1986 Talbot, home runs both times. Archetypal Bordeaux and still very solid and substantial, not fading.

--2004 Gracia overextracted and somewhat cloying, bad to do that in 2004.

--my first 2003 Montrose, been waiting to try that for a while. It was good, a huge massive black-fruited wine, but lacked precision. This crystallized an issue I do have with 2003. There is a certain chunkiness or blockiness to the midpalate and some roughness on the finish that detracts from the complexity of sophistication of the wines. You get a lot of fruit depth and satisfying flavors, but some lack of sophistication. With that said, I have never been one to dump on 2003 left bank, had a lot of good to excellent bottles of 2003. For some wines like Leoville Barton the additional fruit cancels out some characteristic flaws with the wine and gives you one of the better years of LB I have had. And some wines like the 2003 Cos d'Estournel handled the big fruit more gracefully.

--thanks to Nicklass for the 2001 Guigal La Mouline, very generous! My second Guigal La La, and the second that didn't live up to the price tag. Intense and satisfying but a little crude -- these wines would be good at a third to a half of their typical price, but for that price you can do a lot better.

--the 1989 Pichon Baron and 1990 Leoville Barton were casualties of the setting in that they didn't get the time or reflection they deserved. But my second 1989 PB in the last few months and both have felt just a touch tired -- very good but a bit on the down slope compared to e.g. the 2000 Pichon Baron we had on Friday.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

On Saturday, we were a good crowd of 15. Meeting back with usual suspects was fun, and DavidG and Mr Vino (and their wive) all looked in great shape. I was happy to learn that the Vino will be in Montreal for the Jazz Festival, so i'll try organize something with them.

It was a pleasure to meet the newcomers that are Rich, Kalum, Isabella and Costa. All of them have the BWE spirit, that is clear. Rich was taking note on everything, the young Kalum enjoying every wine seriously, and Isabella and Costa becoming familiars quickly. I had the surprise that Isabella speaks french and discuss with her in that langage at the end of the dinner. We should see them back, but have to figure out when Costa is sailing.

The Champagnes were a good start. The 1996 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses is unique in it's signature of great Champagne. Very masculine, with all these mineral, yeasty, light mushrooms, stone, and fresh white berries fruits. Long, distinctive, great in it way, i guess not everyo e will have the same enthusiast for it. But I do. Tn: 94. The 1996 Krug that followed is not for kids too, but more flamboyant, spritzy, ginger, sweet grapefruit, spicy, ripe green apple, a superb Champagne as well. Tn: 92-93.

Next, i had the 1970 Chateau Lascombes and 1971 Chateau Gruaud Larose. The 1971 GL was very drinkable but tired. Nose light red berries and incense spices. Mouth very light with cranberries. Interesting anyhow take give ligjt to tbe 1970. Tn: 84. The 1970 Lasc on the other hand was a mix of old spices, old flowers, old berries, like you would expect of an old Margaux. But it was not dead, the soul was still there, and the wine was like mother Teresa, giving everything it got to other. Thank you Chris. Tn: 92.

Next i had tbe two Corton from Bouchatd, 2005 and 2009, and for now, i will just say that the 2009 was excellent, and some preferred it to the 2005, but less my style. A very ripe Pinot noir, that remind me too much somd ripe pinot from the USA. Lot ok oak, sweet, milky ripe berries fruits. Lwt it sit for 10 more years easy, especially in magnum size. Tn: 90-91.

The 1982 chateau LaDominique was excellent too, but you had to wait for it. Exotic spices and oak to start with, a challenger to the exotic style of La Mouline. But with time, the La Do.
Minique showed more complexity, more ripe plums, ripe berries, rasberries a d minerals. In magnum, excellent. Tn : 93-93.

Next was the 1986 Chateau Talbot. Very concentrated, probably the most concentrated juice that night with the 2003 Montrose. Very blackberries, blackcurrants, licorice, old wood, tannic, long, a medium aged bottle to me. Not as ready of seductive as the 1982, but that 1986 is a monster. Tn: 93.

The 2003 Chateau Montrose is offering a concentrated block of slightly roasted oak, strong blackcurrants, dark mineral, clay ripe tannins, and some blue fruits too. The vanilla.is very present too seems like it did not evolved a lot in it first 16 years of life. Still very young and i still have faith. Tn : 92-93.

I had the 2001 Guigal La Mouline after. Dark color, super exotic spices nose, stewed rasberries, light bacon, more oak. Mouth was.powerful, but drying or fading too quickly. Yes there was that smoky creamy syrah fruit, the exoyic oak with spices, vanilla, almost Christmas cake with ginger. But the price is more kmpressive than the wine. I was a bit sad but hey, we're not making the wine, we're just offering it. Tn: 90-91.

The 2004 Gracia was very ripe merlot. On it own very good. Compare to other Bordeaux there, feeled overripe, a bit overdone. Candy cherries, sweet rasberries, some prunes, with some oak. Modern wine. Tn 90-91.

3 last red were excellent. 1990 Léoville Barton was a bit roasted to me, but with lot of cassis, hemp, spices, rasberries and sweet bkack licorice. In mouth very medium body of Saint-Julien. No deception here. Tn :92-93. The 2000 Magdelaine was glorious. Nose of candy berries mixed with austere blackcurrant and blackberries cab sauvignon. Also some noble wood. At a perfect place, mouth is intense mixture of fruit and soil, with a light austerity, condensated tannins, powerul elegance and length in mouth. An easier styld to like in 2000 for Magdelaine. Tn :93. The 1989 Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron was like always: a perfectly ripe Pauillac, cassis, spices, complex oak on the back, lot of tanins and fresh blackberries. This is a do rewarding wine. The previous night, we were discussing about the fact that PB is the most consistent Pauillac since 1988... Tn: 95.

I now comeback to tbe 2005 Corton Bouchard Pèrevet Fils. A superb wine for many reason. Restrained but powerful, tannic and easygoing at the same. Rasberry red berry currants fruits, later on flowery, spicy, raw wood, later on pink peppercorn. Tasty pinot, very Côte de Beaune. I think i ptefer great Corton and Musigny Grand Crus to the one from Vosne Romanée. A superb showing from that 2005 super great vintage sll accross France. Tn:96.

We keep it secret, but the 2014 vintage is a great one for white in Bourgogne and Chablis. I brought a bottle of the 2014 François Mikulski Meursault 1er Cru Poruzots that was just great. We had it in the middle ofvtbe reds, and this Meursault took it place easily. Flowery, mineral, fruity, the mouth is lime the one of the 2005 Corton, a peacock. Fat elegance, sweet fruit controlled, pears, melon, with flowers minerals and the butter kicks off at the very end. Fresh, you would drink that all night. Tn :94.

For the Sauternes. They wrre all good. Ight preference fir the honeyed apricots botrytis style of the 1989 Rieussec. But the 1975 Rieussec was also very knteresting with more mellowed apricots ans peaches, light spices and some d weedy vanillin. The 1989 Suduiraut was fattier, sweeter, candied dry apricots with thick honey, botrytis roasted raisins and long citrus quince. Rating in that order : 93-91-92.

Thank you everyone forvthe fabulous night. Finally, it is true that tbe young Chef at Bistro Bis impressed us. The food was incredible from a to w. The dessert was very sweet (my lone critic) but everything else was impressive: the salad at the beginning with vinaigrette that went decently well with the reds, the pasta filled with cheese perfectly cooked, the tuna on kind of arborio rice and green beans and my duck confit with the right amount of tastu sauce behind. Well organized, a great moment.

Love to you all.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It was a pleasure to meet the newcomers that are Rich, Kalum, Isabella and Costa. All of them have the BWE spirit, that is clear. Rich was taking note on everything, the young Kalum enjoying every wine seriously, and Isabella and Costa becoming familiars quickly. I had the surprise that Isabella speaks french and discuss with her in that langage at the end of the dinner. We should see them back, but have to figure out when Costa is sailing.
What a delightful bunch.
I only got to talk to them at the very end, but I hope we see a lot more of them!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

marcs wrote:-the 2000 Magdelaine rocked, my first experience with that wine, it's a shame that you have to travel to Denver and make nice with Blanquito to sample any of the remaining U.S. supply. I was struck by the combination of sweetness with delicacy -- there was a pervading sweetness to the palate but the texture was very light and lifted, and the finish was crisp.
Magdelaine is our house cooking wine, we have so much of it. It’s always on tap for BWE visitors to Denver!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Patrick,

Never had Magdelaine so next time in Denver ....house wine it is.

Nic,

2014 white Burgundy stellar. We had a St Aubin by Remoissenet that was simply singing with butter poached lobster/lemon pasta primavera. Outstanding pairing and sad to say no more in the cellar.

The 1990 Leoville Barton was outstanding and youthful. I'm sorry to here that you were less than impressed. I must have had a case or more of this over the years and it just seems ageless. I'm not sure what you didn't like and maybe bottle variation played a roll because this is one of Bordeaux's great wines.

I know Jim doesn't like hearing it and I'm fond of his 89 Lynch but year in year out Pichon Baron 89 et al rocks my boat more than the Lynch. Especially through the 2000 onward PB hands down holds my heart. The Comtesse also superb but the two can't compare apart being across the road from one another. Both fabulous but one masculine and bold the other delicate and sexy. I'll leave you to differentiate.

The 82 Dominique was amazing 10-15 years back and more recently I've felt past prime. I agree with someone comment that the right bankers in 82 are generally beyond what their peak unless you are a rare necroenophile( I thank Christine...AlexRs better half for that term!) but this just isn't what it was.

2005 Burgundy reds are having some issues coming into prime time especially the Grand Cru. I think the 05s are still in their infancy even though overall a superb vintage and happy to see the joy the Corton brought. Likely should improve.

Wonderful wines with wonderful friends and sad to have missed another.
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi Danny.

Finally, I liked the 1990 Chateau Léoville Barton. It is very ripe and roasted, but the property hold that well. But I think I preferred the 1996 I opened at the Saturday luch in Denver. More concentrated cool fruit, freshness and perfect ripeness of the abundance of tanins.

Nic
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

By the way, great to read your posts and comments on this Impromptu Convention

JeanFred
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We missed you there, JeanFred!