TN: 09 La Prade [Cotes de Francs / Bordeaux]

AKR

TN: 09 La Prade [Cotes de Francs / Bordeaux]

Post by AKR »

09 La Prade [Cotes de Francs / Bordeaux] I'm not sure what the true AOC titling is here, since the label seems to impute both CdF and CdB. It's states 14.5% abv, but doesn't feel clunkier than you'd expect. Popped and poured over 3 days, on the first night with couscous, lamb chops, and a smoky paprika rubbed roast cauliflower. Kind of French Foreign Legion & Afrika Korps mashup feel to the supper. At age 10 the color is still more on the dark purple side, no bricking at the edges yet. I get a hint of oak on the nose, and then roast coffee. On the palate blackberries, maybe some plums. It has good balance, but the tannins have receded mostly. Pleasurable, but a bit of a single note here. I bet it was a little better younger. In this small satellite, which I don't taste / drink often nor much, I quite like Ch. Marsau. This is a solid slurp -- and a fair enough trade for the merlot enthusiast at $18.50. Still, I'm not going to go out of my way to buy more or look for other vintages. I'd give this a strong B, maybe a B+. It doesn't have a distinctive chord to it.

"How cunning it was to rename the Cote de Francs! Soon my plan to ensnare Minister Macaron will be complete"
JCNorthway

Re: TN: 09 La Prade [Cotes de Francs / Bordeaux]

Post by JCNorthway »

times 2!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Arv,

I admire your eclecticism and experimentation with the lesser-known wines.

La Prade belongs to Nicolas Thienpont, who makes wines at a couple of Saint-Emilion grands crus classés.

Côtes de Francs is an itsy-bitsy appellation. The wines are never expensive, and often quite good.
The wine you had seems like really good value for money.

All the best,
Alex
brodway

Post by brodway »

Agree on the Cotes de Francs value.....i drank through my case of the 2000 Marsau a few years ago and wish i had more....just can't be beat for under $20 bottle