Surprise dinner for MC birthday (1986 GPL will be open)

Nicklasss

Surprise dinner for MC birthday (1986 GPL will be open)

Post by Nicklasss »

Later today.

JeanFred will be here normally with a white Bourgogne, a 2000 Montus and another Bordeaux.

I will open 1986 GPL, probably a Champagne, another red and 2004 Raymond Lafon.

Please don't say it to MC, it is a secret!

Nic
Jay Winton

Re: Surprise dinner for MC birthday (1986 GPL will be open)

Post by Jay Winton »

Have fun! Nic, did you see my pm?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Happy birthday to MC.
Sounds like a very nice evening shaping up.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Great dinner last night, we had a lot of fun. And many very good Bordeaux.

2016 Chateau du Grand Bern : Bordeaux supérieur, 60 merlot, 40 cab sauvignon. Red and dark berries, with a touch of kirsch, light heat from the alcohol, and light spicyness. Convenient apperitive red. Tn: 85.

2009 Chateau Cantemerle: a very nice wine. Dark color, the nose has that strict blackcurrant, light smoke, oak, spices, purple fruit. Mouth is having a light extra richness of the vintage, with flavors of blackcurrants, dark berries, grainy, strong structure, with an almonds and purple fruit long aftertaste. Still young but excellent Haut-Médoc. Tn: 91.

2015 Chateau Fonbel: from the Vauthier family. Dark too, but a complex nose of herbs, crushed red berries, flowers and spices. Mouth is concentrated, red licorice, bay leave, good structure and freshness. Red fruit flavors, elegance in the long final. Very goid. Tn: 90.

1986 Chateau Grand-Puy Lacoste: this was an ok bottle. Ready to drink, I would not keep it longer. Bloody red color. Nice nose with something green, tea leave, light redcurrant fruit, redberries, sweet fruit too, and light cedar. In mouth, light, tannins fully resolved. Good ethereal fruit flavors, with some light licorice and light spices. Caressing but fragile. Very good but better days are behind. Seems light and a bit old for a 1986. Tn: 89-90.

2 more to add tomorrow.

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2007 Chateau Pavie Macquin: again, dark wine. Aromas of rasberries, sweet black cherries, light herbs and a good core of vanilla and oak. The wine is still young to me. Mouth is concentrated, with good fruits, with also a good core of oak. Ripe tannins, long, light licorice and that mineral and woody finish. Light touch of cinnamon. One more blanquito to go i guess, before offering more. Tn: 90.

2004 Chateau l'Égliset-Clinet: to end in beauty, i opened a bottle of this, knowing how good it was a few years ago. Dark color, nose of crushed rasberries, black plums, earth, black chocolate, truffles, and something bloody. In mouth, well it is a dense and tasty wine. You warm it up in mouth to discover a great expression of the Pomerol terroir, underba super winemaker. Great attack on black berry fruits, rasberries, than the terroir grow with all the iron clay minerals, truffles, flavors. Silky abundant tannins, the wine is very long on the terroir and light spicy oak. Black fruit from start to finish. A concentrated 2004 that shows the best of the aoc and vintage. Tn: 94, even 95. I guess can age more, if you prefer lighter mouth, but powerful and what a wine now! Again, this makes me think how much I like 2004.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow, excellent mix of Bordeaux. The Cantemerle sounds great as does the l'Église Clinet. I’ve never drunk a 2004 l'Église Clinet but I have a single bottle of the 2005 waiting in the cellar. Lots of love on CT but also some suggestions from AFWE palates that it is too modern. Your 2004 doesn’t sound excessively oaky or ripe to me.
jal

Post by jal »

Very nice! Congratulations to Marie Claude. 2004 is a favorite vintage of mine. Most 2004 Bordeaux that I’ve had had been focused and bright
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very nicely done, does l'Eglise Clinet ever disappoint?
Give MC our love, hope to see you guys later this summer.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Quite the spectrum of wines there.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JeanFred brought also an excellent 2009 Pouilly-Fuissé, but he'll have to precise the producer. It was full of lemongrass and buttery notes, with tilleul (linden in english?) and pears.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

I don't recall ever being disappointed by a l'Église Clinet, not that I have drunk very many of them.