TNs 2000 Ch. Duhart Milon +++

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TNs 2000 Ch. Duhart Milon +++

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Had three wines last night that I had not tried in a while. They all get the green light rating so don't hesitate to step on the gas.

2001 Marcarini Barolo La Serra. This was really nice but the most tannic of the three. Evolved color and nice secondary flavors. Good body and acidity. There remains a flourish of tannin, mezzo-forte-minus approximately, so this is a green light to me but others may want to wait a bit, but again, the flavors, body and color say, "drink me" to me. Again, really nice. Opened and sampled first, this went down fast.

2000 Ch. Duhart Milon. Now, another green light but showing somewhat opposite characteristics. Mouthfeel here is plush and resolved. Good density. Dark color. Flavors are more or less secondary but not as evolved as the mouthfeel. This was also really showing well and made an interesting contrast in evolution to the Barolo. Any way you look at it though this was very enjoyable and certainly ready to go. This, consumed in parallel with the Barolo, also disappeared quickly.

2003 Ch. Moulin Saint Georges. Another green light although this is not a surprise as this wine has always been delightful right from release. Again, good mouthfeel and volume and the evolution here in the flavor profile is a little different. Thirteen years ago this was just a lovely kind of floral wine, with higher-toned and brighter flavors, which perhaps was against the received notion of the vintage type or style. Last night I noticed some unabsorbed oak--not drying or tannic oak but kind of that toasty-coffee sensation oak. Otherwise the flavors are darker and earthier than I remembered. Still quite on par with the first two wines but I enjoyed it perhaps slightly less due to this oaky element.

This all went nicely with various appetizers, grilled chicken, cob corn and asparagus.

2003 Niepport Porto. I drink almost nil porto but dessert was up and there was this bottle so ... I assumed, and still assume, that this will be quite different/"better" in another decade or five decades. It was actually quite enjoyable last night. A bit of bowling alley (so that would be lane oil, urethane, leather and Lysol) in the bouquet that receded to reveal an unexpected lovely floral note. The palate was not fiery or terribly tannic and somewhat to my surprise this was really enjoyable now. As I said I don't know much about port but I have once had a nice glass of something old-like 80 years old-and resolved and this was not that but it seems like it is on its way. I probably won't live to see the outcome but this was a nice capper with caramel topped flan (no Sauternes handy), dark chocolate and fresh Bing cherries.
AKR

Re: TNs 2000 Ch. Duhart Milon +++

Post by AKR »

Those sound awesome. Some years ago we had an awesome 55 Niepport courtesy of Roy Hersh.

Moulin St. Georges might be one of those wines where they might be worth buying even in normal vintages. It's so distinctive I think.

=======

I'm sipping on a really elegant 2001 Pecina Reserva [Rioja] right now. Great for daytime/summertime.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't have any 2000 Duhart Milon in my cellar but I'm wondering when I should crack open my case of 2005s. Probably blanquito it at least x 1.
i also have a 2002 6L that I'll bet would be drinking well, I have a big wedding on Cape Cod to go to at the end of July, I wonder if this would be the time to crack it open.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice report Art.

I feel a bit like you this morning as the dinner I had at my place last night, with friends in cluding JeanFred, all the wines showed very well.

At Denver Friday night dinner, i brought a 1990 Marcarini La Serra, but it was almost unremarked that night, showing very basic Barolo characteristics, nothing from a Cru.

I want to hear more about the 2000 Duhart Milon. I had that wine a few times and always thought it was a kind of "perfect claret spirit" red Bordeaux. Drinking too easily, with that complex dense and aerial fresh style all at the same, with Pauillac character.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Nic,

I've got a bottle.

You make it over here, and I'll open it.

Deal?

Alex R.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Alex, I was looking for a place to go this fall.

Why not Bordeaux, if Christine and you are welcoming me with a 2000 Chateau Duhart Milon?

Any other BWEers had that 2000 Duhart?

Nic
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Nic, I have had the 2000 Duhart perhaps three times in 10 years or so and it has impressed each time.
johnz

Post by johnz »

I've had the 2000 Duhart twice in the last two years and found it solid, quite smooth and ready to drink, but without much complexity. The smartest move might have been what my friend did in 2011 -- sold all for $120/btl, which is a crazy price for that wine (has it come down a bit since then?). I find the 2000 du Tertre (Margaux) more complex now and just more interesting.

--Gary Rust
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

johnz wrote:I've had the 2000 Duhart twice in the last two years and found it solid, quite smooth and ready to drink, but without much complexity. The smartest move might have been what my friend did in 2011 -- sold all for $120/btl, which is a crazy price for that wine (has it come down a bit since then?). I find the 2000 du Tertre (Margaux) more complex now and just more interesting.

--Gary Rust
Pretty much tracks my comment. The Marcarini was more evolved and complex as far as flavors. The Duhart tastes great and is in a sweet spot tannin-wise but not as complex in the flavor department.