Dinner with JeanFred and my bro tonight

Nicklasss

Dinner with JeanFred and my bro tonight

Post by Nicklasss »

I'll miss blanquito's pool party, but nice dinner planned tonight.

Some nice Bordeaux will be opened. Maybe some 1990. Will report later.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: Dinner with JeanFred and my bro tonight

Post by Nicklasss »

Fun time. Suffering fun.

Henriot brut rosé
2006 Pascal Doquet Le Mesnil
1990 Sociando Mallet
1990 Léoville Barton
1990 Pape Clément
2008 Léoville Barton
2009 Leoville Poyferré
2000 Carmes Haut Brion
2011 Doisy Védrines

What are the conclusions? Let see tomorrow. Clearly my favorite red was....

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow, what a lineup! Quality and quantity.
If that was for just the 3 of you, I understand the "suffering" comment.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

DavidG, the significant others were there too. So for 6 persons. But of course, the men drank probably 2/3 while the women were satisfied with 1/3.

No corked wines, they all showed very well.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow! Three of my favorite 1990s.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

First, thanks to the hosts, Josée and JeanFred, who were great company like always, and cook some beet/spinach tartare, rack of lamb with gremolata, and crème brûlée. We feel like in a restaurant!

It has been sometimes since my last Henriot Champagne, and it was an error. The Henriot Brut Rosé was just a perfect apperitive, with aromas of little red berries, some minerals, and just a touch of bread crust. In mouth, fresh, medium body, medium refreshing bubbles, a perfect dosage of everything makes the wine very dry, almost aerial for a rosé. Red berries, flowers and mineral in mouth, very good start. Tn: 91.

Next the 2006 Pascal Doquet Le Mesnil extra-brut Coeur de terroir is supposed to be dry. But these Chardonnays, on that Mesnil sur Oger terroir, vinified in fûts de chêne, are giving a rich and complex Champagne. Small abundant bubbles, with a nice yeasty, bread crust, yellow flesh fruits on the nose, with also butter, light spices and spritz ginger. In mouth, well again a perfectly balanced Grand Cru Champagne. Rich and aerial at the same time. Tasty fruit and very mineral and saline at the same time. More body than the Henriot. Make no mistake, that Champagne is hitting way higher than it price. Tn: 94-95.

More later.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

After was the three 1990, that were exactly representative of the personnality of each of these Chateau/terroir. All very dark red wines.

The 1990 Chateau Sociando Mallet is unmistakably very "Sociando". A powerful nose of creamy ripe blackcurrants, with some earthy black notes, the light but always present light green pepper touch of Sociando. Some spices and more blackfruits like black plums. In mouth, flavors very similar to the nose, but add a touch of noble wood. Very rich and creamy while in mouth, fresh tannins, the final unfortunately is a bit short. A favorite around the table, especially for the ladies. With more length at the end, it would be a great wine, but i think this is anyway a great wine. Tn: 94. Drink now or in the next 3-5 years.

The warm 1990 vintage had a slight noticeable impact on the 1990 Chateau Léoville Barton, as i feel this vintage is a bit less classic than some other. Especially compared to the 2008 opened a bit later. But don't get me wrong, it is still the Barton signature. Nose of cocoa dust, concentrated ripe red berries, some rasberries, that evolved on roasted spices, mint and some light oak. In mouth, more classic with lot of redberries, heated cocoa, blackberries, with still good tannins. While the attack is great, the final is more woody and dry than what you would like, but long. Seems to me that it is the 1990 that lost more character with time. Anyhow, a distinctive and excellent Léo Barton. Tn: 93. Drink now, as the final doesn't have much fruit.

The 1990 Chateau Pape Clément started slowly, but it is the wine who evolved the most during the night. Started with light blackberries and strong leather on the nose, moved on to light blackcurrants and smoky minerals, than later on more powerful redfuit mixture, green tobacco, and finally paprika spices. In mouth, consistency all the time we enjoyed it. Complex mixture of blackcurrants/blackberries, with spicy oak, leather flavors. Great density of flavors from start to the long finish. Spicy tannins, light smoky meat and black berries final, very long and classic Graves character. Delicious, complete. Believe it or not, i think the 2015 will be the same style than that 1990.. that says everything. Tn: 96. Drink now or in the next 10 years.

More later.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2008 Chateau Léoville Barton was very classic. Medium red color, with blackberries, light black currants and some light spicy oak. In mouth, medium body, good structure, fruity and fresh. Drinks well already with light black currant flavors, some mineral earth, light oak. Will keep well for 10-15 more years. Finish still need to develop a bit. Tn: 91.

The 2009 Chateau Léoville Poyferré is already a slightly controversial wine. Dark, more on the modern side, but still very Bordeaux by it structure and freshness. The nose is hallucinating, with no blackcurrants, but all other concentrated berries (black berries, rasberries), light plums, lavender, tobacco, vanilla spicy oak. Got some cocoa too, and some earthy minerals. In mouth, very concentrated, long, creamy, velvety. A dense fruit and flower attack, with lot of berries, grape and violet flowers. Fresh, long, continues it crescendo with light roasted oak, some spices, but back to lot of fruit on the long finish. Lot of superfine ripe tannins too. I understand that it some can have a perception the wine has no soul. Personnally, i think it is a very controlled modern Bordeaux. Lot of flowers on the final too. I'm looking forward to see it age. Tn: 95-96.

I had another bottle of the 2000 Chateau Les Carmes Haut-Brion not so long ago, that was excellent, but the one I brought at JeanFred was probably the best that wine can offer. An extraordinary bottle. Deep color, the nose started like a syrah with bacon fat, blackpepper and smoky blackberries. It evolved dramatically during the night, adding minerals, black licorice, black currants, cherries, and some blond tobacco tones. In mouth, a near perfect balance, with lot of fruit, dark and red, rasberries, leafy tobacco, light smoky cocoa. Stay in control, complex, the type of "I want more" wine. Final was also long, fresh with classic tannins, old oak, more blackcurrant and licorice. Almost too good to be true. Finally, my favorite that night. Tn: 96-97.

The 2011 Chateau Doisy Védrines is extremely good and very Sauternes. Sweet, with all the peaches, apricots, quince flavor, thick, honey, light botrytis, and creamy vanilla oak. Good length and will offer even more in 5-10 more years. Tn: 92.

A long and very nice dinner.

Nic