TN: Chris B in town and a few 2005s from half bottles.

Blanquito

TN: Chris B in town and a few 2005s from half bottles.

Post by Blanquito »

Winona Chief was in town a fortnight ago or so, so four of us (including Ricky and Steve) went to our old haunt and had some lovely wines. We had a 100% pinot noir champagne of Chris' that was really good, and an excellent 2010 Billaud Simon chablis. Then we had some epic reds:
1990 Figeac
This is an incredible wine. Combines the glories of old school Bordeaux from a great terrior and a distinctive cepage with the rich, deep, ripeness of the 1990 vintage. Deep, seamless, distinctive, close to perfect. This is a wine that gives you tingles as you drink it. Tastes young still, this is probably just hitting prime time. 95 pts today but 98+ once fully mature? Pricey these days, but good bottles are worth the tariff. Man. 95 pts
1982 Beychevelle
A lovely showing from an old friend. This charms mostly with its utter seamlessness, a lovely fresh herbal essence married with the deep, resplendent fruit of the 82 growing season. Still has a good core of color, but going a touch brown at the rim. I purchased this bottle a few years ago, but the fill was into the neck and the cork was perfect. Like many once glorious 82's, this is probably past peak as the fruit has faded from its apogee and it has begun its slow decline, but still a sensational wine. 94 pts

There was also an imperfect, slightly musty bottle of the 1989 Pichon Baron and an 05 Cote Rotie.

Then last, I tried some 2005s for fun...
2005 Saint-Pierre
From half bottle, had next to the 2005 GPL... Richer, more precocious wine than the Pauillac, with a spicy expressive nose. There's a pretty big wine here, that is refined on the backend with enough acid and structure to stand up the fruit. Really nothing cloying or garish at all, just a touch a candied fruit and a hint of caramel in the bouquet show any modernist vibe. I expected to dislike like this, but in 05 at least their approach worked, combining a classic young Bordeaux profile with a little extra oomph and jazz. Young, but fun to drink now. If these integrates more and displays some complexity with age, this will be killer, but excellent already. 93 pts
2005 Grand-Puy-Lacoste
From half bottle... This is pretty textbook showing an earthy, cassis profile with good brightness and soft tannins. Shy on the nose, there's a rounded mouthfeel, good length. Very good stuff, but lacking in a little pizzazz for current drinking. Probably 92 pts tonight with a point or two upside. Wait 5 more years minimum. 92 pts
Nicklasss

Re: TN: Chris B in town and a few 2005s from half bottles.

Post by Nicklasss »

Gread report blanquito.

I kind of liked all the Figeac i sampled within the years, but never had the 1990. Rob Dayton was ready to open one when i passed few days in Charlotte in Jim's company. But as Rob had already opened 86 Climens and 90 Beauséjour-Duffau, we tought his generosity was already over the top.

Good news about 2005. I'm salivating until the next time i'll decide to open one.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

1990 was such an amazing year for so many of the classic styled St Emilions.

I wish I had bought more of them during the 90's era.

But, saying that, realistically they would not have survived if within my clutches.

Like the radiant 2003 St Estephes and Cote Roties, you just can't help yourself, and whatever stash one has, is guzzled like an old school Caddy & high test.

=====

I've had a few of the 00 St Pierre's so far; it's a solid, up the middle St Julien.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

1990 Figeac is an epic wine.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Chris came to Denver in 12/18, and amongst many other marvelous bottles (including the 86 Talbot, 86 Cos and 86 Rausan Selga), he popped a hauntingly good 86 Pichon Lalande in peak form which in the end left the other wines humbled. The 86 PLL is correctly ‘valued’ by the market but I had to have some.

Now he comes with the 90 Figeac, which really was just a good as the PLL if not quite at the same summit of maturity, and rational thought once again was lost. I had to have some, and I now have 4 bottles!

BWE strikes again. We are lucky.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Thanks for the notes and I had a 2005 Leoville Poyferre the other night and while it was still a little youngish aromatically the palate is really beginning to give one a definitive idea of what the 2005 vintage has in store for us but unfortunately just in another 5 years time, ie the wait continues ... and agreed, the 86 Lalande is dynamite.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote:1990 was such an amazing year for so many of the classic styled St Emilions.

I wish I had bought more of them during the 90's era.

But, saying that, realistically they would not have survived if within my clutches.

Like the radiant 2003 St Estephes and Cote Roties, you just can't help yourself, and whatever stash one has, is guzzled like an old school Caddy & high test.

=====

I've had a few of the 00 St Pierre's so far; it's a solid, up the middle St Julien.
Ever since I joined BWE in 2003 you’ve always championed the glories of 1990, Arv, and for my palate your love for the vintage has never been more spot on than now— the best 1990s have really turned it on in the last few years, finally shedding some baby fat and fanning out. Many still taste primary compared to the 80s vintages (excepting 89)...

St Pierre underwent a big change in management and style (and attendant Parker points) beginning with the 2003 vintage. I’ve not always really liked these changes at least when young, and the 09 and 10 St Pierre are pretty gross in my book being sickly sweet, heavy and boozy and uber oaky. But the 05 was much more balanced.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I haven't had any St Pierre post 2003, which was indeed a weird year for them.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Then you would probably also enjoy the 2016 St Pierre as the style has definitely returned to its former glory in my book.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Sorry to be so slow in responding. This was a really fine evening - these small gatherings where you can spend a bit of time with each wine (and perhaps revisit later) are so nice. Lot of very nice wines. Many thanks to Banquito for putting this together.

The Champagne from Bertrand Delespierre was made with 100% Pinot Noir, 2012 Saignee des Terres Amoureuses Rose. It was a very red and very Pinot Noir Champagne, pretty distinctive and good in its own way.

The Chablis was very good - don't remember the vintage (2010?) but it had a bit of age on it. I always enjoy a good Chablis.

You know, the last time I drank the 1990 Figeac was over 7 years ago and it wasn't showing much. Glad it has really come around. It has a lot of richness but it's not over-the-top. Good stuff.

The 1982 Beychevelle is fully mature and ready go. An excellent wine to be drinking now. I have been a minor fan of Beychevelle for a long time, having enjoyed the 1971, 1973, 1978, 1982, 1985, 1986 and 1989 vintages may times. It's rarely disappointing.

The 1989 Pichon Baron was a little tired. This is the second time in a row this wine has been less than hoped for but expect many successes wit this wine in the future.

Don't remember the name but I thought the Cote Rotie was quite lively and showed very well.

A very good time, we should do this again soon.

Chris Bublitz
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

We are at your disposal, sir. Any time.

Thanks for the info on the red bubbly, that was really good.

Yes, the Billaud Simon was a 2010, can’t recall which vineyard. Ive has a bunch of those 2010 B-S (picked up cheap once upon a time), they all have been really good and none have showed any sign of oxidation at all.