2005 Girardin Volnay

William P

2005 Girardin Volnay

Post by William P »

I drank this little beauty last night. I convinced that Volnay was one of the big winner in the 2005 vintage of the century, well decade, well last 8 years. No matter, the 05 volnays are good and this did not disappoint.

A deep ruby color. The body is medium on the lite side and a medium concentration. It crisp acidity giving a bright mouth sensation. It has a ripe strawberry taste with a hint of cherry and a mineral base. Average length.

I did not note the price, but I think it was in the mid $30s. $35.00 would be a fair price but not a screaming qpr. Nevertheless, it was a very enjoyable wine. If you find this for under $30.00 grab a few. Over $30.00 grab one to see if it really floats your boat.

Bill
daramg

Re: 2005 Girardin Volnay

Post by daramg »

I got this at Roseville Costco and I believe it was less than $30.
I liked one btl I had and went back to Costco to get some more and it was obviously gone.
William P

Post by William P »

And so did I! Finally a BWE member in the sacramento area. Offline in the future?
daramg

Post by daramg »

I had a feeling you bought it from the Costco as I have not seen this btl from anywhere else.
I am actually in Fremont, CA but in Sacto many times a month because my in-laws live there. :D
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Sounds like a solid and honest village wine. Nice.
stefan

Post by stefan »

These '05s are indeed nice, but there are so many older vintages of good Burgundies out there that there is no need (other than for purchasing or ITNOS) to drink them now.

Last night at Veritas Wine & Bistro (arguably the best restaurant in Texas) we drank a 2000 Ponsot Clos de la Roche that was simply fabulous. This is a vintage that Ponsot got completely right (after notable failures in e.g. '95 & '96). Our waiter rated it among the best five Burgundies he had tasted. Lucie also thought it outstanding and deserving of 98-99 (sic) points, far and away the highest score she has given a Burgundy. I did not do a careful evaluation, but feel sure that I would rate in the 94-97 range. Unfortunately, there is no more of this to be had in the U.S. Fortunately, I have three more bottles.

stefan
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

HMMM, will there possibly be an appearance of the Ponsot at BWE 2010?
Claret

Post by Claret »

Giradin is another negociant that I generally like for his reds. I had 2/2 premox disasters with his 1996 Meursault, so beware the whites. I still have some untasted 1996 Volnay Clos de Chenes which was low 30's at release.

Glenn
Glenn