TN: Dinner with some Bordeaux

roadfork

TN: Dinner with some Bordeaux

Post by roadfork »

Last couple of years, in a fall, few crazy wine aficionados get close to Cape Code area to match food with some amazing wines.

Starters:
1992 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses Brut Champagne – nice, a bit tired, some nutty flavors, some citrus notes.

2000 Dom Pérignon "P2" Brut Champagne – fresh and lively, with tiny bubbles, some green apple and amazing strength and complexity, zest and minerality – simply superb.

Flight 1: Halibut crudo with Cuabanelle pepper mousse
2002 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Ruchottes – became first cause of lively discussion. At first wine came out with a bit of bit nail polish, yet through evening started changing with layers of rich caramel and pear. Finish became long and intensely mineral. By the end of the evening it blossomed.

2007 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Ruchottes – white flowers, elegant and well rounded. Felt completely different than 2002, fresh and crisp, but didn’t display intensity and richness.

Flight 2: Roasted rabbit with preserved peaches, shaved zucchini and delicate herb sauce
1953 J.Dervieux Côte Rôtie Côte-Blonde – this is one of those unicorn wines which reached almost fantasy status. Light and pale color, almost Burgundian nose, with hint of dry cranberries. I expected a better experience and was a bit disappointed. Opened and consumed almost immediately, maybe we should have waited for it to develop… Definitely expected more. This is now La Mouline property.

1971 Dervieux-Thaize Côte-Rôtie La Viallière – some pale brick on edge of the glass, yet color is vibrant and clear. Dry, cured meat flavors with dry forest undertone. Another wine I wish would have been open about 10 years earlier.

Flight 3: Grilled American rack of lamb, served with rosemary gelee, matsutake mushrooms, crispy potato pancake, Romanesco cauliflower
1966 Ch. Lafleur – Wow, this probably one of the best overall wine experiences I had this year. From start to finish this wine had it all! Aromas of plum and figs, velvet and amazing black cherry finish. Beautifully integrated tannins, and a palate full of flavors. Stunning!

1964 Ch. Petrus – I have been lucky enough to have some experience with this wine. Unfortunately it never matched expectation. Someone suggested that we “jumped” on it without waiting for it to completely open up… maybe. Beautiful and still vibrant garnet color, a bit subdued on a nose (I couldn’t pick up anything for a minute or so), rich, somewhat ripe, dark fruit and a bit short finish. I couldn’t find any flaws in this wine, but was enamored … and didn’t do any justice standing next to Mr. Lafleur!

1967 Heitz Cellars Martha’s Vineyard – another bottle in a perfect condition, yet didn’t “hit the spot”. Quintessential eucalyptus nose, some mint and forest underbrush some cedar on a finish, fun to taste, but didn’t move me at all.

Flight 4: Assorted cheeses and desert
1988 Ch. D’Yquem – ’88 is my favorite year in the trio of ’88, ’89, ‘90. We had two .375 bottles, unfortunately one of them was corked. Good bottle showed amazing concentrate of burned orange peel and marmalade undertones. Aromas of pineapple and crisp wonderful acidity with long crème brulee finish

Cheers, Albert
DavidG

Re: TN: Dinner with some Bordeaux

Post by DavidG »

You guys don’t mess around, what a combination of wines and food!
I agree with you on 1988 being the best of the 1988-1990 trio of Yquems. Glad at least one of the bottles showed well.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Those are some impressive bottles.
roadfork

Post by roadfork »

AKR wrote:Those are some impressive bottles.
Hi Arv,

I still remember '95(I think) Henri Bonneau MB you brought to an offline to Boston and how much I love that wine!

Cheers, Albert
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

My Lordy, what a night! Some unique stuff there!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

A ‘67 Heitz! Wow.