Two La Lagunes

jal

Two La Lagunes

Post by jal »

Still not mobile in NYC, we had friends over for dinner yesterday and opened:

For aperitifs, we had a 2017 Charlene and Laurent Pinson Chablis les Clos Grand Cru: this is a gorgeous Chablis, clean aromatic, minerals and good acidity. Not in the same league as Raveneau but for a fraction of the price, I'll take that any day. 92

1982 La Lagune: dark purple color, beautiful nose, thin texture. This is gorgeous with resolved tannins, mature fruit, complex and layered, good structure, stands up very well to the heavy short ribs, long finish. 93 at least.

1985 La Lagune; right from the start this is weird, disjointed with the fruit all over the place. There is so much VA in this, I can't even drink it or rate it. May have suffered being drank after that amazing 82 but more than likely, an off bottle.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Re: Two La Lagunes

Post by DavidG »

Sorry to hear you’re not up and about, must be frustrating.
Company and that 1982 La Lagune sounds like a nice distraction.
Here’s hoping you turn a corner soon.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I've got a case of each going to Oregon and might drink one of each at Thanksgiving. Good bottles of the '82 are great. I went through three cases of the '85 and all bottles were very good, but I have not drunk an '85 for probably ten years. At that time I thought the wine would out live me. I bet (hope?) that yours was not properly stored.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Love both the 82 and 85 La Lagunes, given correct bottles.

But there’s definitely been a significant uptick in the last 5 years or so where my rate* of tired, dead, and flawed bottles from 1986 and older has really jumped, while in comparison 89 and 90 Bordeaux still seem vigorous by and large. Maybe in another 5 years, as the 89s and 90s get into their mid-30s, these two vintages will go through the same inflection.

Even for lovers of fully mature, old claret like myself, it is time (except for all but a small handful of château) to start drinking our remaining 82, 83, 85 and even many 86 and 88 Bordeaux.

*folks who bought these vintages on release and stored them perfectly for decades might have a different experience. But virtually all of my bottles sourced second-hand have showed every outward sign of pristine storage (fills into the neck, pristine corks for wines so old, no seepage, no pushed or dried up corks, etc.) and until recently these sourced bottles performed at a very high level.
Last edited by Blanquito on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I mostly agree, Patrick. Once the wines start hitting their 30s the success rate starts dropping, including those purchased on release that have good fills and healthy looking corks. So it becomes a calculated risk to keep holding. I'll usually start drinking around age 20. Drink up the more advanced ones, hold those that appear to have the potential to gain complexity for another 5 years, rinse and repeat. Those that make it to 30 and beyond with continually evolving complexity and without drying out have been some of my best Bordeaux experiences.

If you like aged Bordeaux, the 82 and 86 Mouton and Haut Brion were going strong as of a year ago. Probably the other 82 and 86 first growths as well, but I have no recent experience. 82 Pichon Lalande was no longer nearly as magical as it was but not dried out yet - not one to hold much longer. 83 Margaux was fine a year ago. 88 Haut Brion, Lynch Bages, Climens, and Yquem have been fine in the past year. 88 Margaux not so much but it was never all that. Many of the other 88s started fading 5 years ago and have been drunk up. I didn't hold my 83s or many 85s as long so can't comment, though 85 Cos was excellent about 8 months ago. Many 89s are in a sweet spot at age 30 and hold the promise of further development over the next 5-10-15 years. If you like them aged.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

'07 la Lagune is a gem...all the classic claret charms
sdr

Post by sdr »

Sorry to hear about those recent failures, Patrick.

An ‘83 Margaux (from WineBid) last weekend was fabulous, at the peak of its perfumed and svelte power.

All the top 15 or so ‘82s I have had in the last couple of years sourced from the secondary market were still vigorous, including Pichon-Lalande, although the latter not as boisterous as in its youth. Léoville Las Cases still needs a couple more Blanquitos.

Stu
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I can’t roll with you guys, but the (few) first growths I’ve had from 1982 definitely have more legs — Ian brought an 82 Chateau Margaux to an 82 horizontal in NYC that was super young and needing time, whereas every other wine was at least fully mature and in the zone, though that was now 7 years ago so maybe it too has arrived. That 82 Haut Brion you shared with me in FL, Stu, seemed fully mature and at its apogee, but I gather the 82 Latour, Lafite and Mouton could benefit with more cellar time. And LLC always can use another 5 years.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

And the Medoc is one thing, but nearly all of the many wonderful right bank wines from 82, 83 and 85 (excepting an 82 Cheval Blanc in London last year which was preternaturally primary) are either fully ready or need attention soon. Not had any Petrus but I’ve tried most of the rest.

Of course, many individual bottles from both banks will undoubtedly hold in their 40s and become ever more ethereal and inspiring, but the odds against immorality get steeper with each passing year.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I picked up three pristine 85 ‘’ gunes recently at the first one was marvel(l)ous

It’s been a decade probably since I had the ‘82 but it is a special wine in my memory.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte’s note from June 2010 at one of those fabulous Fabio’s dinners:

1982 Ch. La Lagune
Really vibrant, strutted its stuff with lashings of sweet cherry 1982 fruit. Reminded me of Beyonce’s ‘Crazy in Love’. A racy 28 year old extrovert and just drop dead gorgeous which really knows how to shake its booty. 95

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... une#p12802
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

A good example of the understated British stiff upper lip.

That was some line up. We used to live well in those days, and that was post-crisis.
jal

Post by jal »

LOL, Ian.
I am convinced the 1985 La Lagune we had was a bad bottle.
I don't believe I've ever had a bad 1982, maybe the Grand Puy Lacoste (tasted 3 times over the years) which had a horribly roasted flavor profile, but that's more of a personal preference.
Last edited by jal on Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best

Jacques
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Last Saturday I participated in tasting of 21 1971s, 20 Bordeaux and 1 Burgundy.

One of the wines was La Lagune 1971, which came up as well-preserved wine, fruity, elegant, taste of cherry drops, splendid balance and smooth fruity finish. Keeps extremely well for its age and is great pleasure to drink. 92p. :D

I will come back in few days time with a report from the tasting. :o
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

greatbxfreak wrote:Last Saturday I participated in tasting of 21 1971s, 20 Bordeaux and 1 Burgundy.

One of the wines was La Lagune 1971, which came up as well-preserved wine, fruity, elegant, taste of cherry drops, splendid balance and smooth fruity finish. Keeps extremely well for its age and is great pleasure to drink. 92p. :D

I will come back in few days time with a report from the tasting. :o

My birth year!..which to this day, I still have not partaken in the '71 vintage ...any others stand out aside from La Lagune?
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

F.i. Brane Cantenac and Les Carmes Haut Brion.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Robert,

Not greatbordeauxfreak, but you may be interested in this ‘71 tasting last year: http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... f=4&t=8124

Stu