2014 Neillon Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St-Jean

Blanquito

2014 Neillon Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St-Jean

Post by Blanquito »

Had another bottle of this tonight from the stash Bill and I split... best bottle yet, fantastic expressive nose showing more mature nuances (note to self: beware the pox!). The palate has deepened a lot since my last try — still quite bright and racy, but the mouthfeel has thickened and the richness has amped up a couple of ticks. Excellent lemony length. Really in the zone, I might have to find more! There really is no replacement for great white burgundy. 93-94 pts.

Thanks again Jacques and Jill for the introduction to this fine domaine.
jal

Re: 2014 Neillon Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St-Jean

Post by jal »

Yummm. I would not buy more 2014s though...
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Getting too risky, Jacques? I have not had a premoxed 2014.

Thanks for sharing the Niellon with me, Patrick.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I'm drinking through a stash of 2014 1er cru Chablis. Good juice.
sdr

Post by sdr »

The 14s are so, so good. Tense and full of flavor.

Incredibly hard to source though, not only now but on release. Scattered bottles in Moscow, Singapore, Oslo or equally unlikely places but very few in USA.

Last week a PYCM Caillerets was very good but disjointed. I’m sure it will improve.

“There really is no replacement for great white Burgundy.” Yep, that’s right. I can no longer maintain my self imposed hiatus, just drink ‘em younger, keep one or two back for aging and hope for luck. Haven’t had an oxidized 14 yet.

Stu, hopelessly in love with WB
jal

Post by jal »

Stefan and Stuart,

The 2014 Mikulski Meursault Poruzots Jim brought over last month was showing clear signs of premox. A 2014 Niellon ChampGains drunk in August was flat, very different than the other bottles I had. These are all bad signs for me. I suggest buying 2016 and 2017 and I think they will be as good as the 2014s in a year or two. I'd stay clear of the 2015s and 2018s just because they are a bit ripe and expansive for my palate.

I will stop buying now, I have plenty of White Burgundies now as I received in Sarasota my shipments of 18 bottles from Le Caveau de Puligny Montrachet. Hopefully the wines are ok, I'll find out when we get there before Thanksgiving.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’ve been buying a little Bouchard Meursault Perrieres and have liked them a lot. I’ve been happy with the 2016 and 2017. Bouchard is using Diam closures which are supposed to reduce the premox risk. I’m still chicken to cellar them long-term. Which is a shame, because no matter how good and tense and full of flavor these are young, there really is no replacement for great aged white Burgundy.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I've only had a a few wines pre-mox that I was cellaring, just the 2005 Carbonnieux blanc and a few white burgs. I know its silly, but not having been burned much by it I keep letting my white Burgundy (usually chablis) age a little. I have had a bunch of chablis from Billaud-Simon 2008 and 2010 over the years that's never shown any hint of pre-mox and I've been quite lucky with Ferve too (apparently they're one of the worst in chablis for pre-mox). My 2007 Boillot Puligny-Montrachet is still going strong, and all of my bottles of Vincent Girardin grand cru white Burgundy have held up for 8-10 years. It's probably all just dumb luck.

But I'll never forget all those poxed white burgs opened at Jacques' pool party, at least half were totally shot.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote:... no matter how good and tense and full of flavor these are young, there really is no replacement for great aged white Burgundy.
This. I was lucky enough to enjoy a bunch of 90 and 92 white burgs at peak, and they are unique.

But I still think even young white Burgundy is special.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Grand Vin Wine Merchants has a half dozen of these available for $70/each, after I picked up 3. So much for my resolve to stop buying!

Given the exorbitant shipping prices lately, I am shipping them across country by ground, hopefully that's safe given that this is a shoulder season...hopefully they don't run into a snowstorm of something.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

That’s where we bought ours from, Marcs.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I have about 20 bottles of the 2014 Vergers left...I had one bottle which was a bit on the dark/evolved side...but others have been great...but I won’t be buying anymore 2014 Neillons...have a case of 2017 Clos St-Jean.