Back home; Niellon Vergers, Latour

jal

Back home; Niellon Vergers, Latour

Post by jal »

We got back to Sarasota yesterday after a long travel day. So today for dinner we celebrated with some amazing stone crabs and the 2014 Niellon Vergers::Patrick and co. please don't wait too long to drink this, it's on the way down and by far the worse bottle I've had, flat and flabby, not yet oxidized but will be in another few months. Happy I only have one bottle left and I may open that one next week.

With an aged strip steak cooked sous vide, we thought a flabby Chassagne will do the trick but Jill (rightly so) wanted a half bottle of red, I spin around open the wine fridge and the half bottle I grab is a 2001 Latour. I have obviously had this since release but it has been to Israel and stood in a dark closet for 3 years so who knows how good it kept? But it's still young and the fruit is good, the structure really sound and the tannins still drying. Obviously keep for 3-4 blanquitos, but I really enjoyed it with the first steak we've had for a month.
It's good to be out of the cold.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Re: Back home; Niellon Vergers, Latour

Post by stefan »

Thanks for the tip on 2014 Niellon, Jacques. I am sending a bottle with Lucie to drink over the Thanksgiving break in Oregon (I cannot go until next week because of work). The last bottle we drank was great, but that was a few months ago.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ok, twist my arm, I’ll drink another 2014 Chassagne. :)

Finished another JM Boillot Puligny tonight, so good.
jal

Post by jal »

Wait a week Patrick, maybe my last bottle will be stellar
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’m also enjoying an 02 PLL tonight. Very nice.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I'm drinking a 2002 Lagrange. Not in the PLL class, but pretty good. Strong tannins but also strong fruit. I'll Repour half a bottle and revisit in the next few day (Lucie made me promise not to drink an entire bottle by myself every night in Texas while she is stocking our wine fridge in Oregon).
brodway

Post by brodway »

i need to work on my spin move....i usually fall .....never had a Latour show up on the other side
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I am worried. I have a case and a half left of the 14 Vergers. I agree it is evolving rapidly. Hopefully they will hang on for another few months. Last one I had a week ago was very good, but definitely on the turn, like an autumn leaf.
jal

Post by jal »

Do not despair, the last bottle was awesome!! All the fruit, minerality, vibrancy and acidity that we love is here. 94.
Best

Jacques