Last Strokes For Bordeaux 2020 and poll

dstgolf

Last Strokes For Bordeaux 2020 and poll

Post by dstgolf »

The itinerary for BWE Bordeaux 2020 is nearing completion after a lot of work by many and thanks for everyones input. Never easy to plan an epic trip for 20.

With PLL offering up lunch on Wed and a second day on the right bank there has been a minor conflict of those wanting a half day on Wed to take a pause for self preservation and those die hards that want to do and see as much as they can so we are trying to compromise. Wed am visit has not been fixed and Jim is going to work on something. Giscour has agreed to have us on Wed but they are a ways from PLL and Jim is still hoping PB may reconsider...I doubt it but there are others he will try. After PLL some of us will head back to the hotel and just rest up, go downtown for dinner and call it an early day whatever.

Michael P has put a lot of work into a full day on Wed and for those diehards with more energy than Jim and I/Danielle may want to join MP for an afternoon visit to Maltus group which I thoroughly enjoyed in 2015. If MP can rearrange the Maltus timing and maybe squeaze Valandraud late afternoon if possible and or just tour St Emilion can people who are going on the trip answer this thread if they'd like:

Plan A. Head back to the hotel and do whatever.

Plan B Go with MP and a group to the RB.

This isn't an either or but trying to meet peoples needs and wishes. I caution people that have not been on one of these before. The days are long starting at 7am...the bus doesn't wait for stragglers and there is a lot of tasting...don't forget to spit because by midnight when the bus usually rolls back to the hotel there are a lot of bleary eyes. One or two nights seem fine but this is six nights with jet lag thrown in. Both previous trips many people became sick and had to miss one or more days and that's why we have been preaching a slower pace. We are all grown men and women and you decide on your own but it won't be fun to miss Thursday and Friday because...

Enough preaching. Can people answer their preferance and I need answers from all 20 svp.

Danny
Danny
JimHow

Re: Last Strokes For Bordeaux 2020 and poll

Post by JimHow »

Put me down for Plan B, Danny.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Plan B for me and Brendan.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Plan B for Lucie and me.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

I'd like to see the Cite du Vin so I'll go with A
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Neither Plan A nor Plan B for me... Ha!... :lol:
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I agree with Danny, as the visit at Teyssier, with wines like Le Dome or Les Astéries in 2015, was very hot. The welcoming was outrageous and the wines, well, like the Doors, so taking. All that because of my very good fellow, Michael P.

Nic

P.s. Le Carré. Geez impossible to spit.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I would take the self-preservation option (plan A).

In fact, would prefer to have only the PLL lunch on Wednesday so we could also sleep late...that is also very helpful in recovery.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Marcs,

Stefan has also made the suggestion of PLL and split... After talking with Jim this afternoon I also am having second thoughts and have no issues about sleeping in( which really is an oxymoron for us ) but I'm good either way with morning visit PLL then relax. LikeHarry I'D like to see the wine museum and idf not Sunday we'll do it Wed afternoon.

So far 9 out of 20 responses and 5 to the right bank afternoon and 4 to relax. Still waiting on 11 more which are key to decide rent bus or no bus for balance of the day.

Waiting on MP/Nalan I'm sure RB. along with Ian Maureen Rb. Tony/Jennifer likely take it easy, Tom/Gail/Mark/Wendy/Tim ????? Please pipe in sap.

Thanks
Danny
tim

Post by tim »

I missed it in 2015 so I would prefer to go to the RB.

We can extend the bus to take us as well.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Danny, why don't we leave Wednesday morning clear, at least for now.
I don't have a plan on how to get Pichon Baron to change their mind but I guess I can still dream.
Lunch at Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande with its winemaker could be one of the highlights of the trip, let's not rush it.
We have huge days on Monday and Tuseday, let's go at a slower pace on Wednesday, even for those going to the right bank.

I'll let you know what Tony and Jennifer want to do. I'm guessing it will be Plan B but i'll get back to you today or tomorrow.

As soon as MichaelP finalizes the Wednesday afternoon schedule and you wrap up Thursday evening, I'll publish and print up the BWE France 2020 schedule.

It is spectacular!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

I agree with your/Bill's Plan C as discussed this am. Leave morning free to recharge with PLL lunch followed by afternoon on RB if Michael P can alter the plans with Maltus etc. Nice to have some time for everyone to stroll downtown as well...beautiful spot. We still need to know how many would be going to RB so MP can plan around it. If its 20 great and start at that max but lets find out for sure. We'd be in for Plan C but we'll crash early I'm sure.

Harry and Mark with this change in plan do you want to head to the RB or back to the hotel? I'll assume the ones who already intended to visit RB are unchanged.
Danny
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Plan B for Gail and me.

Thanks, Danny!
Tony Ferguson

Post by Tony Ferguson »

Plan A.

Thanks for all the hard work you have put in on this.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Thanks for the replies and Wed has had some wrinkles in planning still a work in progress at this time.

FYI We are back to the drawing board for Wed. It logistically does not work to go from PLL after lunch to the right bank with drive time over 1.5hrs. If lunch ends 3pm the math leaves no time for anything. The team is working on a shortened schedule for Wed to accommodate everyone. After what will be a marathon day on Tuesday Wed am off is sounding good and straight to PLL but Jim is quarterbacking the Wed planning and a finalized itinerary is not far off. S,M,T,Th,Fri are virtually done shy of finalizing lunch Tuesday and Michael P is leading to final details. Patience and Jim will release the completed itinerary certainly before Christmas.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Much thanks to you, Danny, for stepping up big time in the planning.
We have basically morning, lunch, afternoon, and evening scheduled each day, except for one, maybe two slots.
Wednesday we are trying to turn into a half day, like we did in 2015.
The itinerary is amazing!
We've gotten a great response from the Bordelais.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I for one would vote for Wednesday being the PLL lunch and nothing else. It would be far better to have a truly relaxed day in the middle of the week than to try to cram in one more chateau
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Marcs,

I'd second and third that motion but the BD gets the final say in a true dictatorship!!
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

As BD I dictate a simple day on Wednesday of a liesurely noontime lunch at Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande with its CEO and winemaker, Nicolas Glumineau.

I do know that there are others who want to visit estates in the Pauillac/St. Julien region that day, like Ducru, LLC, etc.

I'm sure we can accomodate both sides.

Myself, I'm all for sleeping late, having a nice 3 hour lunch at Pichon Lalande, coming back to the city to take a nap, and having dinner later that evening in the city of Bordeaux. These are long days, and by midweek we usually start to experience casualties. Those first two days are VERY heavy schedules.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Recall that Bordeaux Lac is not right in Bordeaux, Jim.

Lucie and I might skip dinner on Wednesday and have popcorn in the room, perhaps washed down with Pichon Lalande. It goes pretty well with popcorn even if vintage Pol Roger goes better.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok I'll join you and Lucie in your room on Wedneday night, you bring the popcorn, I'll bring the vintage Pol Roger....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Bring it on! This is BWE, not the now-defunct Squires sheep!

We will follow your lead BD, fear not. Once more into Classified breach, dear friends!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If Blanquito and Bro join us I'll bring the Cristal '08...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

In fact, I'm calling a Benevolent Dictator Champagne Reception in my room on Wednesday at 5:00 pm, before Wednesday evening festivities....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This is going to be so epic...
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I like the benevolent decree for Wed. Just heard from Giscours confirming Wed am that I'll cancel and confirm du Tertre Thursday dinner/tasting 6pm. I think we are virtually done!!!!
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Oh, Lucie will love having a Champagne afternoon/evening, Jim.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Excellent!
Benevolent Dictator Champagne Reception at 5pm on Wednesday at 5pm!
You bring the popcorn, I’ll bring the champagne!

You are right, Danny, I think the schedule is just about complete!
I’m gonna confirm some of the exact times and then post the schedule.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Timing is everything Jim and yes the things lacking in your schedule are time of arrival, anticipated length and we need to record addresses of each place with contact phone number/name in case of delay. I remember 2005 trying to find canon la Gaffeliere out of the Bordeaux book with maps as no address/cell phone with GPS etc and bus driver no clue. Pavie Macquin bus getting stuck in narrow fork in a road about a km out and had to back out while rest of grouped walked to the chateau!! Rather be a little more prepared this time and who wants to be navigator TIM!!

A lot of work and still details trickling in but glad this rollercoaster ride is almost over. Tom's turn to ensure bills paid on time and next up to budget what final payment will be. Hopefully the message will find itself under your Christmas trees.
Danny