2017 White Burgs: recommendations?

DavidG

2017 White Burgs: recommendations?

Post by DavidG »

Nothing will replace the greatness of a perfectly aged white Burgundy, but I’m not rolling the dice on long agers after having been burned with premox. I’m willing to give them a try for shorter-term consumption, out to 5-7 years. With that in mind, and hearing that 2017 is supposed to be a decent vintage, what are some worth pursuing in the under $100 range?

Looking at the 2017 Jacques Carillon Puligny-Montrachet. Villages level at $70 - deal or no deal? Jacques opened a 2014 Champs Canet 1er that was killer. Could this be a poor-man's version?

Also have access to a range of Bouchard Meursault and Puligny 1ers.

What are people buying?
jal

Re: 2017 White Burgs: recommendations?

Post by jal »

DavidG wrote: What are people buying?
From the "So what have you bought lately thread":
jal wrote:At a visit in Beaune last month, we stopped at the Caveau de Puligny Montrachet and bought the following:

1 2017 Domaine Jacques Carillon Bienvenues Batard Montrachet
2 2017 Domaine Jacques Carillon Puligny Montrachet Les Referts
3 2017 Domaine Jacques Carillon Puligny Montrachet Les Perrieres
2 2017 Domaine Jacques Carillon Puligny Montrachet Les Champs Canet
2 2017 Thomas Morey et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chenevottes
1 2017 Domaine Michel Bouzereau Puligny-Montrachet Les Champs Gains
2 2017 Henri Germain Chassagne-Montrachet Les Morgeots
2 2017 Domaine Tessier Meursault Genevrieres
2 2017 Domaine Rollin Pere et Fils Corton-Charlemagne
Since then
I shared a case 2017 of Niellon Chassagne-Montrachet Champgains with Jean Christophe last month.
I bought two bottles of 2017 Domaine Benoit Ente - Bourgogne Blanc for $45/per at 67St Wines in NYC.
I bought two bottles of 2017 Dauvissat Chablis
I bought three bottles of 2017 Dauvissat Chablis Forest

I tasted the 2017 Puligny Villages in Jacques Carillon's cellar last July, I thought it was delicious and rated it 91. At $70 it's not a great bargain though.

Yesterday we had friends over and finished my last bottle of the 2014 Jacques Carillon Champs Canet and it was as good as ever.

David, I seem to recall you will be coming to Sarasota in February, looking forward to opening some good stuff with you and Peggy.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thanks Jacques.if you’ve got a lead on a lower cost source for the Carillon Puligny and feel like sharing I’m all ears.

Yes Peggy and I will be in Sarasota for 5-6 days in February before heading over to Stuart's. Will definitely like to get together. I’ll send you an email and we can figure out dates.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The only 2017 I had is the Marc Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru En Virondot. I recommend it.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I just copy Jacques’ white burg reccos these days, budget allowing. As such, I have some 17 Niellon CM and Bouchard Meursault coming.

There’s one exception: as stated before, I really like PYCM’s wines and the 2017 PYCM Pernand Vergelesses Combottes secured on sale for a bit <$40 is a wonderful QPR.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Patrick, that's a great price for that wine. Everything I see is $50 or more.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Yeah, it was a score for sure, $37.50. I bought 6, it sold out in a hurry. But if you like the PYCM house style, the $49.95 I see it at WineX is a solid deal
jal

Post by jal »

I am not a big PYCM fan, but I'm glad you like it, Patrick. Nice haul. I think for St. Aubins I like Hubert Lamy much better. I am becoming a Benoit Ente fan btw.
David, I may have a source for decent pricing but the guy, a distributor/importer/wholesaler, is totally unresponsive. I sent him a friend who wanted to buy about $4,000 worth of WB and my friend had to constantly harass him to get a response. It may have to wait till December before I can be in touch with him. I can also ask around today but don't wait for me, go ahead and do your thing.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thanks Jacques, if it’s not easy and straightforward it’s not worth the hassle for a few bottles/dollars. I went ahead and got them from MacArthur which is as easy as can be.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Patrick, I’ve never tried a PYCM but have heard good things. Those that fly below my $100 ceiling and are available locally include the following 2017s. Any experience?

Pernand Vergelesses Fretilles 1er
Rully Cailloux
St. Aubin Chateniere
St. Aubin Le Blanc
jckba

Post by jckba »

With all the chatter and love for the PYCM wines, you could also take a look at the wines of Caroline Morey as she is the wife of Pierre-Yves Colin and they share a similar winemaking approach.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I checked my records, and here's what I've tasted and then bought:
- PYCM Combottes Pernand Vergelesses 2017, $42.50
- PYCM En Creuzilly Haut-Cotes-de-Beaune 2017, $37
- PYCM Le Banc St. Aubin 2017, $55
- PYCM Le Cailloux Rully 2017, $40
*I had the pricing backwards on the En Creuzilly and Combottes earlier in the thread.

Clearly I am not dallying in his higher end stuff, but I have been quite happy with all of them. I haven't done any side by side tastings, but overall they seemed very similar in style and quality to me (maybe that could be a criticism of PYCM?). I wish I have bought more of the Cailloux Rully at $40.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Got an unsolicited email to join a Bonneau du Martray mailing list. They dangle the potential (no guarantee) to buy the 2017 Corton Charlemagne and other possible goodies (their Corton, library releases, large formats). I don't think I've encountered this approach before.

The potential offer is $735/3-pack ($245/btl), which seems a decent price on WS non-pro. Way above my $100/bottle limit, but wondering if this is a "reasonable" price WRT quality. I'm not in the market for $245+ white burgs in any case, but if anyone is drooling over this wine and willing to arrange delivery, I'd be happy to inquire about availability and all-in costs.
stefan

Post by stefan »

After having most of my case of 1999 BdM CC premoxed I gave up on BdM.
jal

Post by jal »

What Stefan said. All my case of 1999 BdM CC was poxed. No more for me.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Oh, nary a bottle, Jacques? The couple of mine that had no oxidation were great and a couple of others were drinkable.
jal

Post by jal »

I returned the rest of the bottles after having a 100% oxidation rate on the first 4-5, Stefan. It was a Zachys special and Pappadoc was there to help at the time.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Oh, Pappadoc! We miss you.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Good move, Jacques.

I also miss Pappadoc.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up with a pre-embargo mixed case of Bouchard Meursault Perrieres (I liked the 2016 version), PYCM St Aubin Le Banc, and Jacques Carillon Puligny villages. Picking up at MacArthur tomorrow.

I wasn’t tempted by the Bonneau du Martrey due to price, even before hearing about the pox on their house.