Thanksgiving 2019

stefan

Thanksgiving 2019

Post by stefan »

Thanksgiving 2019, Day 2

I got to Eugene at 1 AM on Thanksgiving Eve. With friends of stefanJr and Irena over for dinner that evening, we did not do our usual family discussion of wine. So I start with Thanksgiving day itself.

With bagels & lox we drank

Baron Fuente Brut. This is a very nice Pinot Noir based Champagne that stefanJr sourced from K&L. "Yummy," is his critique. stefanJr 90. Lucie 91. stefan 90. Irena 89.

We continued with

2009 Pol Roger. The mousse dies quickly in the mouth. Is this a bad sign? In the mouth there is not the usual Pol Roger explosion. The tastes of apple and citrus are good as is the length, but the Champagne is "a bit watery," (stefanJr, but I agree). We opened the Champagne when it was quite cold. After it warms up the mousse explosion in the mouth is proper and the flavors, already good, improve. I think blaquitoing this vintage will help. s 90+. sJr 89. L 91. I 88.

While watching football we drank

2018 Antiquum Farms Black Sheep. This is an entry level Pinot Noir from the what stefanJr considers the best winery in Eugene. It is a soda pop PN with good cola flavor but not much depth. s 86. sJr 88.

(To be continued.)
DavidG

Re: Thanksgiving 2019

Post by DavidG »

Now it feels like a BWE Thanksgiving. Always love your family notes Stefan.
jal

Post by jal »

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend Stefan and family. One day, I too will watch football with a glass of wine or Champagne. And I too love this series of posts
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, David & Jacques. I hope you and BWEers everywhere had a great Thanksgiving.

With turkey and all the trimmings we drank

2008 Chehalem Ridgecrest Best Barrel. While not as vibrant as usual, this Ridgecrest is well balanced and has a lasting finish. Irena says, "the dark brown earth flavors complement the food," but Lucie and I disagree, with Lucie saying, "I don't get richness and it is not good with cranberries". stefanJr opines, "it has the briar that Ridgecrest is famous for". L 87. s 90. I 89. sJr 90.

2009 St. Innocent Shea Special Selection. stefanJr says, "really dark fruit for a Shea", just as I am about to express the same opinion. The fairly sweet Shea is better than the Ridgecrest with the food and the finish is at least as long. Some dirt in the nose enters the mouth, and, with air, the wine develops Momtazi like dustiness. "Lovely nose; lovely wine", opines Lucie. "Deep, rich, red and purple grapes", comments stefanJr. This Shea is excellent and still improving even if it is atypical for Shea. s 92+. sJr 92-93. L 92. I 92.

With pumpkin pie and Bono, Boss, and others we drank

2005 Doisy-Daene. Good with the pie, this young Sauterne would be even better with a creamy dessert. Very good, but less acidity than I like when drinking the wine by itself.Mick improves the taste, but "it is better still with Sting", says stefanJr, and, indeed, Sting intensifies the limestone. s 91. sJr 91.

We finished the evening with a half bottle of

1990 La Tour Blanche. Tasty mineral laced sticky caramel. Blanquitoing it twice will make it better for my taste. s 91+.

Note: My + means that I expected improvement with further aging.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Your music references made me think of Clark Smith and his "Cognitive Enology."
http://www.postmodernwinemaking.com/wine-and-music
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ha-ha. Thanks for the link, David.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanksgiving 2019, Day 3

For lunch we had Thanksgiving Day leftovers and

1995 Larmande. This is a proper but unexciting wine from a reliable right bank estate. "Lovely nose and very good with the turkey," comments Lucie. "Better with the turkey than by itself", agrees stefanJr. Good now; better in five years (or ten if you are in Blanquito's camp). The tannins are still firm and there are no secondary characteristics as yet. s 89+. L 88.

2005 Sigalas-Rabaud. There was a bit in a bottle that stefanJr had put into the refrigerator a month ago. There no oxidation apparent. The wine is full of persimmons and peaches; really nice. I'll buy some if I come across it.

With stefan's turkey soup we drank side by side

1983 La Lagune/1985 La Lagune. Having drunk through three cases of the '85 and more than a case of the '83, I was glad when I could pick up a case of each at auctions this year. "The '83 tastes young and old at the same time; fruit and tobacco", observes Irena, and Lucie agrees. "exactly, I really like it". I think, "when did Lucie ever not like a La Lagune?" "All sorts of flavors in the '85", comments Irena. Indeed, it has deeper, darker, and sweeter fruit than the '83 as well as tobacco and licorice.
1985 La Lagune: s 92. I 91. L 89. sJr 89-90.
1983 La Lagune: s 89. I 91. L 90. sJr 91.

I was surprised that I was the only one who preferred the 1985 to the 1983.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanksgiving 2019, Day 4

With cheese we drank

Baron Fuente Blanc de Blanc. "This is good", judges stefanJr, "I am going to order more right now". He did. The Baron Fuente has toast, yeast, and limes. Good by itself, it is even better with Manchego. s 91. L 94. I 91. sJr 91.

With flat iron steak, mushrooms, and leftover dressing and veggies we drank my favorite vintages of two St. Juliens.

1986 Gruaud Larose. The Cordier funk does not hide the cassis. "The Chanterelles are even funkier than the Gruaud", observes stefanJr, and I agree. At age 33 the Gruaud still has loads of tannin and black fruit. "This has everything I like about Bordeaux", swoons Lucie. "It is really well balanced", says Irena, "and it goes well with everything on the plate". s 90. sJr 91-92. L 96. I 92.

1990 Lagrange. The purity of the Lagrange is in striking contrast to the Gruaud. "This smacks the Gruaud on its ass and puts it into its place", says stefanJr. I love the purity, balance, length, and depth of the Lagrange as well as the cassis. This wine is in its prime. s 93. L 95. sJr 93+. I 92.

One box I bought at auction contained a pleasant surprise.

1990 Filhot Creme de Tete. The last couple of bottles that I drank of this special wine probably did not have good provenance. They tasted and looked old. This bottle also was dark orange, so I was worried about it until I tasted. OMG! It has intense flavor at the top, sides, and back of the mouth. Even sandpaper does not remove the taste. "A tropical fruit explosion", exclaims Irena, "pineapple and passion fruit and...". stefanJr tries to pick a song as intense as this Sauternes. "Like sitting under a coconut tree", Irena continues, "and mimerals, too". s 95. sJr 96. I 97.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow, that’s a great lineup Stefan.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

If you guys are buying grower bubbles from K&L, don’t miss the 2012 Franck Bonville BdB for $40 (I got it for $34 after using auction credits). Best value in vintage champagne, perhaps ever.
AKR

Post by AKR »

stefan wrote:Thanksgiving 2019, Day 4

With cheese we drank

Baron Fuente Blanc de Blanc. "This is good", judges stefanJr, "I am going to order more right now". He did. The Baron Fuente has toast, yeast, and limes. Good by itself, it is even better with Manchego. s 91. L 94. I 91. sJr 91.

With flat iron steak, mushrooms, and leftover dressing and veggies we drank my favorite vintages of two St. Juliens.

1986 Gruaud Larose. The Cordier funk does not hide the cassis. "The Chanterelles are even funkier than the Gruaud", observes stefanJr, and I agree. At age 33 the Gruaud still has loads of tannin and black fruit. "This has everything I like about Bordeaux", swoons Lucie. "It is really well balanced", says Irena, "and it goes well with everything on the plate". s 90. sJr 91-92. L 96. I 92.

1990 Lagrange. The purity of the Lagrange is in striking contrast to the Gruaud. "This smacks the Gruaud on its ass and puts it into its place", says stefanJr. I love the purity, balance, length, and depth of the Lagrange as well as the cassis. This wine is in its prime. s 93. L 95. sJr 93+. I 92.

One box I bought at auction contained a pleasant surprise.

1990 Filhot Creme de Tete. The last couple of bottles that I drank of this special wine probably did not have good provenance. They tasted and looked old. This bottle also was dark orange, so I was worried about it until I tasted. OMG! It has intense flavor at the top, sides, and back of the mouth. Even sandpaper does not remove the taste. "A tropical fruit explosion", exclaims Irena, "pineapple and passion fruit and...". stefanJr tries to pick a song as intense as this Sauternes. "Like sitting under a coconut tree", Irena continues, "and mimerals, too". s 95. sJr 96. I 97.
I had the same thing happen many years ago with the 90 Filhot CdT - I bought what was what I thought was the regular bottling, and then many years later when I finally pulled it for consumption realized I'd been shipped the CdT.

Those sound like a great pair of St Juliens
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

First time I met stefan he had a couple 1986 Gruaud Laroses in his hands...

Patrick, looks like they have quite a champagne selection at K&L, assuming I were able to figure out shipping, do you have any other recommendations from their inventory?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Filhot CdT 1990 is a true BWE insider wine. I’ve never heard it plugged anywhere else and it’s an epic. I’ve picked it up at auction multiple time on the cheap (eg < $55 all in). I think half of the time it’s so inexpensive because no one realizes it’s the CdT (other than those of us BWEers using the high-res pics to zoom in on the pertinent part of the label), given how small the lettering is denoting it’s the reserve bottling.
Last edited by Blanquito on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Clearly another great Thanksgiving time for stefan and lucie familly.

Two great Saint Julien there. Had great experience too with 86 GL and 90 L. But even a greatest experience when having fun with stefan and lucie.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:Patrick, looks like they have quite a champagne selection at K&L, assuming I were able to figure out shipping, do you have any other recommendations from their inventory?
I’ve bought a ton of champagne from K&L in the last couple of years. Their selection of direct import, grower champagne is second to none; as far as I can tell, it’s not even close.

That said, I don’t bother with the big houses much at K&L as their pricing is usually just reasonable for those (unless on the sale). It’s the $20-$50 range that’s sweet spot. A few times I’ve bought a mixed case of their cheap stuff to drink through to find the ones that I like. I haven’t been enamored with all of these, but the good ones have been delicous 89-92-pt type bubblies, representing sensational values.

The biggest challenge giving out suggestions is their inventory turns over a lot. For example, I got some Jean Josselin Cuvée des Jean NV Brut Champagne for $17 from K&L on close out, and it’s an amazing champagne for that price... but it’s long gone. I had some 09 and 10 Brison Brut for $20, wonderful stuff for the money, but those too are gone (they had the 2012 for $35, which is still a good deal, but that’s gone now as well).

Right now, in stock, the 2012 Bonville BdB is in a league of its own. They also always get annual shipments of Launois (though they’re currently out of stock except for the cuvée Clemence which I’ve not tried), which I think it outstanding stuff for the tariff, especially the Cuvée Quartz NV ($40), the vintage brut BdB ($50-$55), and the vintage special club BdB ($60-$65). The 2008 special club was $60 and runs with champagnes twice as expensive for my money.

A few caveats: I think bubbly is very much a matter of personal preference, far more so than red wine in a given region with the wide range of styles and cepages out there today in champagne. I for one am not a fan of the Nature or zero-dosage stuff, and the Blanc de Noirs and even rose don’t typically wow me like Blanc de Blancs can. And I don’t drink Cristal every night (as is done in certain quarters), so my bar is lower than for others, probably much lower in some instances.

That all said, I would love to put the 2012 Bonville in a blind line up of other 2012 bubbles and see how it goes...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok thanks, so I see five different 2012 Bonville BdB, what do you recommend:

2012 Bonville Grand Cru, $34.99
2012 Bonville Pur Oger, $64.99
2012 Bonville Pur Mesnil, $64.99
2012 Bonville "Prestige", $44.99
2012 Bonville Pur Avize, $64.99
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:Ok thanks, so I see five different 2012 Bonville BdB, what do you recommend:

2012 Bonville Grand Cru, $34.99
2012 Bonville Pur Oger, $64.99
2012 Bonville Pur Mesnil, $64.99
2012 Bonville "Prestige", $44.99
2012 Bonville Pur Avize, $64.99
The one I am recommending is the 2012 Grand Cru*, which is $39.99 and can be found here:
https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1302045&s ... archRank=8

*The only one I see on their site for $34.99 is the non-vintage one; it's good, but the 2012 Millesime is well worth the $5 hike. I haven't tried any of the $64.99 ones.