Xmas 2019

stefan

Xmas 2019

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day -6

We arrived in Berkeley late last night. After a busy day of mostly work for Judd, T, and me, school for Rye, and mostly wrapping packages for Lucie, we settled down for a family dinner of lamb. Before starting on the meat we drank an old Zin that Judd had sourced.

2001 Ravenswood Sonoma County Zinfandel. I always enjoy trying old Zins. This one, popped and poured, has a shy nose that becomes more expressive with air. The tannins are gone and the tobacco accented fruit is nice. Zinfandel is my go to wine with fudge, but the Ravenswood doesn't pair well with T's freshly made fudge. OTOH, this Zin is a good complement for Texas pecans (the BEST pecans, BTW). "Like a very subdued, elegant, mild Amarone," opines Lucie. We have a discussion on how to rate old Zins. Her opinion is, "I rate it on how it tastes to me right now". Lucie 92. stefan 88. T 89. Judd 91. After drinking the Bordeaux with lamb we revisit the Ravenswood. Amazingly, it has improved with additional air. T raised her score to 91. I raised mine to 92 and declared it my WOTN.

With the lamb we drank

2002 Lagrange. "OK, I should not have rated the Zin before trying this wine", T says. I detect something in the nose that I identify as TCA, but the cork smells pure and the taste is proper at the outset. "The Lagrange is lovely, but a bit soft", observes Judd. "Funny smell, but I love it", swoons T. Exposure to air brings out the TCA. "I get a cardboard smell", says Lucie, "and the wine does not improve in the glass". Without comment from me, first Lucie and then Judd realize that the Lagrange is flawed, and T does also after returning to the Lagrange after tasting the next wine.

2002 Leoville-Poyferre. The pure nose is particularly noticeable after the Lagrange. "No contest for me: dark, leathery licorice and anice that I love; almost an aperitif", says Judd before he realizes that the Lagrange is flawed. "You like the masculine wines", comments T, perhaps condescendingly, but she later says, "The Leoville I am loving more and more". stefan 92. Judd 92. Lucie 92+. T 90.

Judd and I finished with a sticky he had

1998 Raymond-Lafon (375). Moderately sweet, some old tastes, and lots of botrytis. I like 1998 Sauternes more than most people, I think. s 90.
stefan

Re: Xmas 2019

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day -5

Before dinner Judd pulls a Champagne that is unfamiliar to all of us.

Philippe Gonet Brut Reserve. Too cold. Thin with citrus flavors. "I think it is a food Champagne", says T. "Does it have much mousse?" inquires Lucie. No. She continues, "Doesn't have much oomph in the mouth. And no toast. Maybe it would be better with food." "It's OK. Awfully cold", inputs Judd, "not my favorite; a little thin". The Gonet improves quite a bit as it warms and Lucie says it is better with cashews. "Fine to serve at a party", T concludes. Maybe, but after I inquire Judd says that it is $5 more than the superior Philippe Prie that has become their house Champagne. stefan 86. Judd 87. T 87. Lucie 88.

With slightly seared scallops we drank

2019 La Chablisienne Vaucoupin 1er Cru Chablis. I am embarrassed to admit that this is the first Vaucoupin I have drunk even though it is the largest AOC in Burgundy. The Vaucoupin is steely and minerally. "Good wine; not exciting", says Judd, and I agree. T opines that it is "perfect with the scallops". I ask whether this Chablis has seen oak. Judd, noticing some creaminess, correctly says yes, but no one finds oak intrusiveness. L 89. T 90. J 88. s 89.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Thanks for the notes as always-always a welcome precursor for the holidays.. I opened a magnum of 2000 Ravenswood SC recently. It drank well with nice berry flavors on day one and day two.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day -4

For lunch, with grilled ham & cheese sandwiches, we drank

2012 Westrey Oracle Vineyard Dundee Hills Pinot Noir.
Slightly thin on the entry for a 2012 OR PN, but the wine firms up in the mid palate. Briary blackberry flavor. This was a steal at $22. Good for drinking now or wait five years. stefan 88. Lucie 88. Judd 88.

With cheese & charcuterie we drank

2012 Omero Coats and Whitney Yanfill-Carlton Pinot Noir. Fuller in the front than the Westrey, with coarser tannins. The structure suggests that this wine will be better with cellaring. s 87. J 87.

For dinner we ate cassoulet with an arugula salad.

1995 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle. Upon opening, the wine has a funky, poopy northern Rhone nose. "Like a smoked wine", observes Judd, "like they camped this wine over fire". "Great with the bacon fat", T says approvingly. It is interesting to me that the bouquet and taste is clean with the cassoulet. "Lovely," says Judd, despite his stopped up nose, "good balance with red and white; heavy and light". "Quite smooth", observes Lucie, "also, like walking through a dusty, hot, berry grove". J 91. s 90. L 90. T 91.

2009 Mas de Boislauzon CdP. "Reticent; needs time", comments Judd. "This has a lovely nose", Lucie observes. "Hot; in your face", complains T. But the label says that the alcohol level is 13%. "In your face", says Lucie. For me this is a big, grapy, modern CdP. Not my cup of tea, but it is good for what it is. The Hermitage is much better with the cassoulet, although the CdP is very good with the sausage from the cassoulet. s 88+. J 88. L 87. T 88.
Last edited by stefan on Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Cassoulet and a soggy, foggy day. Can't beat the Bay Area!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice report stefan and Happy Holidays to Lucie, you and the family.

So the 2002 Léoville Poyferré delivered the goods, so still a great choice for the 2007 BWE WOTY.

I like chablis but i think i also never had a Vaucoupin.

The 1995 Jaboulet La Chapelle looks like a "barbecued" wine!

In your honor, I will open an Oregon Pinot Noir in the coming days.

Last thing: i will also opened lot of wines in the next days, so I think i will steal your reporting style, putting everyday in a row in the same post.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

I look forward to reading your wine journal, Nic.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day -3.

stefanJr, Irena, Shea, and Elle arrived at 8 AM after taking an early flight from Oregon. T had breakfast crepes waiting for them, and we drank

2012 Franck Bonville "Les Belles Voyes" Blanc de Blanc. Blanquito suggested this sparkler, and it is quite good; "The best [of two] we have had so far", says Lucie after a taste. She continues shortly, "but no distinctive fruit flavors" except, of course, for citrus. Nevertheless, the Champagne pairs pretty well with persimmons and apples as well as with the sausage. It would be better with oysters. Lucie downgrades the Champagne because of the acidity, and others also comment on the acidity. stefan 90+. Lucie 89. Judd 89. sJr -. Irena 88. I liked the Champagne more than the rest of the family. stefanJr considers the NV Baron Fuente Blanc de Blanc, which is half the price of the Bonville, to be better. He drank the Baron Fuente the previous evening and served it to us at Thanksgiving. The Baron Fuente is indeed a fine Bl de Bl and is a best buy. Or was, as K&L is now out of it. It is not surprising that the Baron Fuente is further along in its development than the Bonville.

With beef stew we drank two very different modest St Emilion wines.

2000 Larmande. Clean, solid, balanced, and unmanipulated. "This is a beef stew wine", several say. I love the purity of the wine. Irena puzzles us with, "Very good, but tannic and acidic", but I really like it". T 89. s 90. L 90. J 88. sJr 90-91. I 90.

2005 La Tour Figeac. This spoofilated Grand Cru Classe St Emilion is more concentrated and has a broader taste profile than the Larmande. The oak is not integrated and the tannins are coarse. The structure suggests that blanquitoing it will improve it. T 91. L 88. s 87+. J 91. I 89. sJr 85.

Opinion was sharply divided, with sJr, L, and I much preferring the lower clossified but classically styled Larmande and T & J preferring the modern La Tour Figeac. Irena, perhaps influenced by her portion of the multiple Bourbons the younger adults consumed while Lucie and I were at a Nutcracker production with our grandchildren, thought we were drinking four different St Emilions. Actually, maybe she was right, as the wines did taste very different with and without food.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Very nice, Bill. I’m glad you enjoyed the bubbly.

It looks like you had a higher priced bottling of the Bonville than the one I had (which was the standard 2012 Millesime at $40, now sold out: https://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1302045). I’ve been wanting to try the fancier cuvees from Bonville.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, Patrick. My guess is that the Les Belles Voyes version is made for laying down, while the regular vintage BldBl is designed for earlier consumption. As usual, my + means that I expect improvement with age.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Stefan,

After our tour in 2005 through Bordeaux and our visit to La Tour Figeac I was looking forward to receiving as part of my 2005 futures order the LTF which has completely disappointed and your notes are good approximation. Too much unintegrated charred oak, acrid tannins and acidity with a background of over extracted fruit. Green olives on over drive which I don't expect in a ripe year. I don't think all of Blanquitoing/time are going to turn this ugly duckling into a swan....maybe a Christmas miracle in 5yrs??!!

I used to love the La Chapelle and the last 6 pack was 96 which was fabulous. 95 not as good but don't remember either being bretty. I suspect it was better 10yrs ago when my last bottles were downed.

Keep the notes coming and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, Danny, the 95 La Chapelle is no match for the 96. The auction lot of 95s I bought has three more bottles; I hope the other three are not bretty. The La Tour Figeac was in a lot of three; I'll wait a few years before opening another. I saved a small glass of it to try today. It had smoothed out somewhat.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day -2

Tonight the middle aged adults are going out for dinner while Lucie and I take our grandkids for pizza. While sitting around, Judd opened a gem from Last Bottle.

NV Antoine Derigny Grand Cru Brut. Judd often jumps on Champagnes from unknown small producers and none of us had ever heard of this one. This brut had good mousse, a range of flavors that includes oranges and persimmons, and a firm mouth feel. "I think it is great", says Judd, and I agree. Even stefanJr compliments this NV. Only T has reservations, "It is making me thirsty [for water]". s 91. sJr 90. I 90. L 90. T 89. J 90.

With pizza I drank a pale ale and Lucie had a glass of ND Chianti, but later our kids rescued me from a Nutcracker movie that our grandchildren were watching in order to get a fourth poker player and we drank

1988 Rieussec. "Really good; I love 88 Sauternes", says stefanJr, "Rieussec needs time to develop this kind of minerallity". This light amber colored wine shows no flaws; it clearly has had excellent storage since release. It tastes more like a 20 year old Sauternes than a 30 year old. "Rich, thick honey", Irena says appreciatively, "it tastes so fresh and vibrant". s 92. J 91. sJr 91. I 92.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day -1 (Xmas Eve)

With cheese and other appetizers we drank a Champagne that has been a family favorite for three years.

2005 Paul George Brut 1er Cru. As usual, this solid Brut is solid and clean with tasty apples and citrus on the sides. "I might like this better than the Derigny we drank last night", stefanJr says. I have a very slight preference for the Derigny. sJr 92. s 90-91. T 90. L 91. I 91.

We continued with

NV Gardet Blanc de Noirs Grut. "It was a mistake to follow the Goerg with this", complains Judd, who supplied both Champagnes, "and it is too apple-y". Maybe, but the Gardet is properly made and I like the crabapple taste. It does lack the refinement of the Goerg, though. s 88. J 87. I 89. L 88. T 91.

2008 Pierre Paillard La Grande Récolte Bouzy Grand Cru Extra Brut. I opened this bottle thinking that we were moving on to sushi, but instead we opened presents. Most paid little attention to the sparkler. To me it was proper for a vintage Champagne but unexciting by itself. Quite a bit was left when we did eat sushi, and Lucie commented, "Great with food". I agree. s 89 (by itself) 91 (with food). T 89. L 90. I 89.

With Dungeness crab and shrimp we drank

2016 Jadot Blanchot. This Grand Cru Chablis is oily, smoky, and sweet. This is far from the style of Chablis that I enjoy, but I do understand why some people love it. "Oaky; not the kind of Chablis that I like", son stefanJr says. "Awfully oaky", complains Judd, "round oaky richness". "How do you rate a wine you want less of", asks stefanJr. "I want to pour it down the drain", sneers T as she passes her glass to her husband J. L 87. s 88, but 84 for my taste. J 86. sJr 84.

While opening more presents some of us drank

2001 Canon-La-Gaffeliere. This St Emilion tastes more like a Pomerol with its licorice laced blackberries. It has a solid core of tannin that would pair well with red meat and is good with chocolate. s 91. sJr 90.

Happy Holidays to BWEers everywhere!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Merry Christmas to the whole family. Appreciate the countdown as always.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Xmas Day

While playing Thunderbolt with the 40 something kids we drank

NV Salmon Brut. This slightly sweet Champagne would be good with buttered popcorn. "The flat mousse dies quickly", complains Lucie, but, drinking it after it warms a bit, I find the mouth explosion reasonable for a non vintage Champagne. stefan 88.

With shrimp and crab bisque we drank

2014 Michel Niellon Chassagne-Montrachet Clos St-Jean. Everyone likes the Niellon with T's incredible bisque. The soup draws most of the attention and I do not push for comments as this wine is well known to most BWEers. There is no trace of oxidation in the lovely wine. "Fantastic mouth feel; no oiliness", Judd says approvingly. stefan 91. Lucie 93. Irena 89. stefanJr 92. T 92. Judd 91.

All of us being too lazy to wash zillions of glasses on Xmas day, I opened a 2001 Grand-Pontet to rinse our glasses. My ignition impression of this wine is positive; more later.

With the prime rib we started with a wine that I expected to be the second best wine of the day.

1983 Lynch-Bages. When middle aged T turned 21 we had some of her friends over for a birthday dinner. When I opened a then young 1983 Lynch-Bages hours before the guests came, T exclaimed from the other side of the kitchen, "that smells so good! Do we have to share it with my friends?" Today's bottle, 20 years older, has a deep black cassis flavor that contrasts with a light bouquet that contains a trace of acetone and something that reminds me of TCA, which later shows up in the taste as well. "The nose is in the bank", says J, "I love it". "Amazing; bright", exclaims Lucie. "Pencil lead", says stefanJr, who is very sensitive with TCA, "I sometimes confuse this with TCA". The wine does not taste old to me, but sJr says "I get a ton of tobacco when back breathing; like a cigar". "I get tea leaves on the sides, but no tobacco", adds Lucie. I finally detect tobacco at the bottom of the bottle. s 91. sJr 92. J 92. T 93. L 91. I 92.

Everyone saved some of Judd's perfectly cooked prime rib to eat with

2001 Mouton. "Crazy berry thing", cries Judd, "somebody jammed cranberries against the back of my palate". "Lots of cassis", says stefanJr, which I assume is red cassis, I this wine contains what I call pencil lead. This wine tastes to me much purer than the Lynch-Bages. "Plum sauce", comments Judd. "Plums and currants and a fantastic finish", chimes in Lucie. I ask, "Is this too young?" As I expected, T answers, "yes, and the finish is short". Judd observes, "this will still be good in 20 years". "Raspberries and blackberries for me", says Irena. "I much prefer the Lynch-Bages", T says, "the Mouton is an adolescent". "The end bits of the rib roast kill the Lynch-Bages while the Mouton overcomes it", says stefanJr, who continues "the second pour of the Mouton has more perfume; it smells like a red rose". s 93+. T89. L 93. sJr 93. J 93. I 93.

We returned to the rinse we used earlier

2001 Grand-Pontet. "The St Emilion smells better than the two Pauillacs", opines T. I find the tannins coarse, as in most modern styled St-Emilions, but the wine is very tasty. "I think it has a funny, menthol kind of thing", says Judd. J 89. s 90. L 90. I 90. sJr 90.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Very nice line up Stefan. The 2001's seem to have fared well. Im personally a fan of the vintage as the fruit is not over ripe and manageable alcohol levels offer classic Bordeaux qualities. Surprised about the Grand Pontet. Love the 1990 for it's backward but persistent fruit. Seems they changed up the play book 2001.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well done Stefan. Love the history on the 83 Lynch. A sleeper vintage.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day +1

Tonight the 40 somethings are taking the grandkids to Zoo Lights at the Oakland Zoo, so Lucie and I invited the family to Chez Panisse for lunch. I had some worries about how the seven and eight year olds would handle a long lunch, but they were great and cannot wait for their next visit to a fancy restaurant. We started with the Chez Panisse house Champagne, Lasalle, which is good as an aperitif and sweet enough to drink after the meal if any is left. The main wines were excellent with my fettuccine and wild mushrooms and also with duck confit. The first red is as old as Judd.

1979 Palmer. This is more concentrated and has darker fruit than the 1978 but is less floral. The tannins are still firm and the finish is lasting. This is my favorite Bordeaux of the week, edging out the 2001 Mouton for now. stefan 94.

2009 Gerard Raphet Charmes-Chambertin. This Grand Cru Burgundy will benefit from double blanquitoing, but it is very good already. This is stefanJr's favorite wine of the week. stefan 91+.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Rinsing glasses with 2001 Grand-Pontet. Now a Christmas classic!

:-).

Nic
brodway

Post by brodway »

Stefan

How do you manage it all. Grandkids poker games elaborate dinners serving quality drink and keeping track of all the inventory at all the residences...making sure not to run out? I want to be like you when I grow up
stefan

Post by stefan »

Today I did crash for an hour after Lucie and I took the grandkids our for Mexican food. They spent the lunch talking about the lunch yesterday at Chez Panisse and comparing the food there to that at La Mission. Elle actually preferred her L-M chicken enchiladas, but Rye (nee whiskey^2) raved about the green fettuccine from C-P. He was worried when it was served, but today said it was the best pasta he had ever eaten. The grandkids' parents did not come as they were otherwise occupied; one set buying some kind of fancy automobile and the other working out at the gym. Tonight we'll have pizza delivered from Lucia, which has gluten free crust that T can eat. Dunno about wine. Judd opened a magnum of a 1999 Tour du Haut-Moulin Cru Bourgeois that is corked, so we have to go back to the cellar.
AKR

Post by AKR »

That is awesome. I had a pretty good magnum of the 98 La Tour Figeac on a ski trip a few years ago with some friends. Perhaps they have changed their winemaking so the 2005 didn't show so well. I have not had any of theirs in quite some time, although I did purchase a bottle of 2015.

Canon La Gaffelliere has been making such good consistent wines for so long now.

We made prime rib too, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the extensive leftovers, beyond what the dog might have me do with them. (He gets 5 minutes on a timer to gnaw on 1 rib bone each night, before those get disposed of). Maybe tacos or a seared steak salad.

At last it seems to be dry today.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Arv, we'll use some of our 3 lbs of leftover prime rib for tacos and quesadillas today. Maybe I'll drop on the floor for the two dogs in the house.

This reminds me that I have to make guacamole before everyone else gets back from shopping and manicures. I'll do that after I finish some work that cannot be put off.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Tacos/Quesadillas sounds like the right move...a bit of lime and cilantro will add freshness to the meat
stefan

Post by stefan »

The tacos and nachos (subbed for quesadillas) were quite good. The guac provided the lime and cilantro.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day +2.

While waiting for pizza and for Judd to choose wines, I open another bottle of 2000 Larmande. It is just like on Day -3: very pure and clean. It also is good with the specialty pizzas.

2008 Gary Farrell Boschetti Vineyard Russian River Valley Zinfandel. This seems not very interesting at first, but it develops in the glass. Still quite fruity, and the lasting flavors suggest to me that this Zin will be better in five years. However, Judd opines, "I think this was probably better five years ago. Acidity has broken through the flavor." "I like it", says Irena, "the fruit is still good". Later, after we also drink some of the Ridge, stefanJr says, "The Farrell tastes more balanced than earlier; I like it more than the Ridge". stefan 88. Judd 88. stefanJr 89. Irena 88.

2013 Ridge Lytton Estates (ATP wine). This is more of a fruit bomb than I expected. It is disjointed as well but has good structure. I guess that it will be good in ten years or so. I return to the Larmande before finishing the pizza. It is so much more to my taste that I have to resist the temptation to lower my ratings of the Zins. s 86+. Lucie 87. sJr 84. J 86. I low number.

While watching "The Empire Strikes Back" for the umpteenth time we sipped on

1983 Rieussec. Oranges, tangerines, and persimmons steeped in syrup. What is not to like? Maybe that the acid level is too low for drinking it with food? Actually, it might be good with persimmon tart a la mode. s 92.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day +3.

With duck breast sous vide après Judd with a rich red wine sauce, sautéed mushrooms, and latkes we drank

1989 La Lagune. What would a family holiday be with no La Lagune? stefan's family does not know. My cold challenged nose gets pleasant but light aromas of red berries. The red raspberries and cranberries are pure. Looking around, I see that all have almost drained their wine glasses while on their second bites of duck. T says, "The wine is so lovely that I want to drink it by itself". stefanJr asks why I do not have magnums of La Lagune. I tell him I do, but only of the 2005. stefanJr thinks the 1989 is too delicate with the duck, but T tells him, "this wine would be good even with cheerios". Irena 92. stefanJr 91. Judd 91. Lucie 95. stefan 94. T 93.

1999 Henri Gouges NSG Les Chênes Carteaux. "Whoe! What is happening in my glass?" asks Irena. "This is a much better match with the duck", judges stefanJr, and I agree. I wondered a while back whether the Gouges would ever come around (I bought a case on futures). It has. Herbs from Provence infuse the berries, and Asian spices come out in the mouth. I 93. s 93. sJr 93. L 93. J 93. T 91.

I did not expect our Saturday reds to surpass our Xmas day wines, but they do.
brodway

Post by brodway »

La Lagune comes through again...its a perennial favorite in your household
stefan

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day +4.

No one for stefan et al as we were traveling from Berkeley to Eugene.

Xmas 2019, Day +5.

I worked most of the day, as did stefanJr and Irena. While they were picking up Shea from friends who later came to eat pizza and play poker with us, Lucie and I drank some 1995 Larmande. When we drank this at Thanksgiving I thought it was good but unexciting and needed blanquitoing. The bottle yesterday was similar, but I am less confident that the fruit will outlast the tannins. We'll see down the road. To drink with pizza I opened

2001 Casanova di Neri Tenuta Nuova Brunello di Montalcino. This was auctioned to me as a 2007 (one of three(!) errors I had in the shipment of 100+ bottles). I had high hopes for it, but Lucie refused even to taste it after one smell. "Oxidized!" she pronounced. I think not, but the smell was quite bad. I think, as does Irena, that heat damage is the problem even though the cork was stained only on the bottom. In the mouth the fruit is concentrated and dark. I would like to have a correct bottle of this wine.

stefanJr pulled:

2016 Ridge Ponzo Zinfandel. I think this is an ATP wine. It is 97% Zinfandel and 3% Petite Syrah. It does not smell like any Ridge Zin I have drunk previously. The red fruit is pretty light and unexpressive. Some liked it, but both stefanJr and I thought it the worst Zin we have ever had from Ridge.

2012 Ridge Jimsomare. This 100% Zinfandel is an ATP wine. It is a typical Jimsomare with beautiful and rich red berries and proper balance. Jimsomare usually is a wine I like young and old, and this should not be an exception.

While I was winning most of the money from a 13 year old poker beginner and other guests in a penny ante game of Texas Hold'em, stefanJr opened

2017 St Innocent Village Cuvee Pinot Noir. Probably stefanJr received this entry level PN in a club shipment. I found it OK but below average for Village Cuvee. The balance was off and the concentration less than the wine has in strong vintages.

Happy New Year!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Gosh, there’s lots of 80’s La Lagune for sale in France for <$80 all-in.

Road trip anyone, say in March?
Last edited by Blanquito on Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Actually I am interested in sourcing some champagne in Paris before we head to Bordeaux.
Timmy are you still in Paris?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2019, Day =6.

After arriving in Oregon we have had some nice wines, but circumstances kept me from doing my usual holiday report. Last night we had a family dinner at home, so I opened some older wines from my winnings in the Mark Golodetz auction. All wines appeared to be in very good condition even if none met my expectians.

With beef, pork, mushroom, and nuts meat loaf we drank

1975 Pape Clement. Suspicious upon opening, the bottle was noticeably corked by dinner time. So I opened a second bottle of it while we started on

1975 Branaire Ducru. This has a beautiful red currant taste, and "it smells like your dining room", says Irena. "Fennel", adds Irena, and stefanJr nods in agreement. The second and subsequent tastes are less impressive. This is a good wine that was fun to try, but it is not won to seek out. "Real short", summarizes stefanJr, and Lucie adds, "the tastes are mostly up front". stefan 88. stefanJr 88. Lucie 89. Irena 88.

1975 Pape Clement. Also corked. We discuss a bit which bottle is worse. I wonder is the taint is due to corks (both bottles apparently are from the same batch) or from the barrel or room in the winery. The wine itself would have been quite enjoyable absent the TCA.

I then popped and poured

1981 Leoville Barton. This has a classic St Julien cassis and currant bouquet. The taste is consistent but watery. Modern concentration techniques might have produced a better wine. L 87. s 88. sJr 89. I 88.