2019 BWE WINE OF THE YEAR: 2016 TOUR SAINT CHRISTOPHE

JimHow

2019 BWE WINE OF THE YEAR: 2016 TOUR SAINT CHRISTOPHE

Post by JimHow »

Last winter I was sitting at my desk in my office and a call came in on my cell phone. It was from China.
Well, that's unusual, I thought, but I answered it.
The call was from Howard Kwok. Howard and his family are based out of Hong Kong.
They have purchased a number of properties on the right bank in Bordeaux, including Belfont-Belcier, Haut Brisson, and others.
One of their smashing successes has been Chateau Tour Saint Christophe.
Howard had come upon one of my notes singing the praises of the 2014 Tour Saint Christophe.
He was coming to New England to give a presentation of his wines at a wine appreciation class at Harvard, his alma mater.
I was thrilled to be able to join him!
We had a great time. Howard was there with Jerome Aguirre, the engaging young winemaker at Tour Saint Christophe.
They are two great guys, who definitely have the BWE spirit of generosity, friendship, and love of the miracle that is French wine.
Chateau Tour Saint Christophe has been a "hot" property for several years now. Jeff Leve is a big fan.
But not just Leve. Decanter picked them as one of the best bargains for the level of quality, and they have scored very high with almost all critics of varying palates.
The property is due east of the Saint Emilion village, near Valandraud and Chateau Fleur Cardinale.
To me, their triumvirate of 2014-2015-2016 will go down as the timeframe when they brought their wines to a whole new level of excellence.
The prices up to this point have been under $30... incredibly, I got a case of the 2016 vintage at Zachy's on futures for $23 per bottle.
If there is a better QPR out there then I am unaware. Prices have been increasing though, and I expect that trend to continue.
The 2014 Tour Saint Christophe is brilliant, just a personification of that classic Bordeaux vintage. Structured, balanced, reserved.
I actually liked the 2014 a touch better than the flashier 2015. The first time I had the 2015 I thought it was just a bit too hot but I had a second bottle and it was tremendous, balanced and settled down.
But it all comes together with the great 2016 Tour Saint Christophe.
This wine reminds us that 2016 was a great vintage on both the left and right banks, one of those years like 1989, 2000, 2005, etc., where it comes together everywhere.
The 2016 Tour Saint Christophe has such great precision. The attention to detail from the winemaking team is clear with every sip.
It is 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc.
There is chocolate and licorice, but to me the distinguishing trait of this wine is the class and precision. It is a beauty.
Wonderfully balanced, with a structure that perfectly complements the fruit.
The bottle says 15% alcohol but it is not noticeable at all.

The 2016 Chateau Tour Saint Christophe represents everything that BWE stands for: a commitment to quality that is second to none; a fair price for its value; a spirit of generosity and friendship.

The story of the Peter Kwok and his family is quite inspiring, there's a very nice story about them here:

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/ ... eter-kwoks

We are very excited to announce that we will be hosted by Howard Kwok as part of our 20th anniversary BWE visit to Bordeaux in March.
We will be doing a tasting at Tour Saint Christophe and then head on to neaby Belfont-Belcier for dinner.
It should be an exciting visit, and I look forward to seeing my friend Howard Kwok again!
I hope we get to raise a glass of the 2016 Chateau Tour Saint Christophe, which now joins the legendary pantheon of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts Wines of the Year!

Thank you again to everyone for your participation worldwide on Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts, the best internet wine website in the world!
Peace and health to all BWEers far and wide as we look forward to a new year -- 2020 -- marking our 20th year of wine and friendship!

BWE WINES OF THE YEAR

2000: 1996 Sociando-Mallet
2001: 1989 Lynch-Bages
2002: 1995 d'Yquem
2003: 1999 Haut Brion Blanc
2004: 2000 Pichon Baron and 2000 du Tertre
2005: 2000 Margaux
2006: 2003 Pontet-Canet
2007: 2002 Leoville Poyferre
2008: 2005 Burgundy vintage (protest vote)
2009: 1989 Lafite Rothschild
2010: 2005 Cantemerle
2011: 2008 Leoville Poyferre
2012: 2009 Giscours
2013: 2004 Smith Haut Lafitte
2014: 2010 Chasse Spleen
2015: 2012 Leoville Las Cases
2016: 2012 Barde-Haut
2017: 2014 Calon Segur
2018: 2015 Brane Cantenac
2019: 2016 Tour Saint Christophe

So it is written.
So it shall be done.

BD
Attachments
IMG_3209.jpg
IMG_3209.jpg (92.53 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
AKR

Re: 2019 BWE WINE OF THE YEAR: 2016 TOUR SAINT CHRISTOPHE

Post by AKR »

All hail a new Prince of Peace has been named - a St Emilion that will heal the great schism that a river has torn through our hearts - cabernet on one side and merlot on the other.

Congratulations to the stewards of this blessed terroir!
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

15% alcohol :o ....I'm breaking up with u Jim ;)
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Rolland! I’m breaking up with you too, Jimbo! :o :lol:

Marc a/k/a Goulay is much prettier, anyway.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Not tried this wine in any vintage and can’t find a local distributor so can’t really comment other than it’s nice to see a right bank wine win - only the second time.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

robertgoulet wrote:15% alcohol :o ....I'm breaking up with u Jim ;)
Cocktail wine.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’ve never had it either but will have to pick up a bottle to check it out in the next few days before the buying freeze sets in. It’s available around here for about $40. Zachys of all places has it for less - $33.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I must admit I was taken aback when I read 15% abv but it gets good reviews from the critics:

https://www.farrvintners.com/wine.php?wine=46625
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

15%?!?! Wow. No wonder Jim needs so many wine fasts. :D
brodway

Post by brodway »

Also don't sleep on the other Kwok property Bellefont Belcier. Also 15% alcohol but integrated in a way that the juice is not overshadowed by the heat. Most are not talking about 2018 just yet but the 2018 Bellefont Belcier is being described as outstanding.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Congratulations to Chateau Tour Saint Christophe.

Never had any vintage myself but as my long time friend JimHow nominate the wine, i am confident in his nose, palate, and appreciation of excellent red Bordeaux.

I'm sorry I won't be part of the BWE mystic 2020 Bordeaux tour, for celebrating 20 years of generosity, friendship and enthusiast, knowing the group will pass by Tour Saint Christophe.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jal

Post by jal »

Congratulations to Tour Saint Christophe, I'm sure it's delicious. I really can't comment more as I have never had any in any vintage. It is also not available anywhere in Florida, but I am looking forward to getting some when next in NYC.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

jal wrote:Congratulations to Tour Saint Christophe, I'm sure it's delicious. I really can't comment more as I have never had any in any vintage. It is also not available anywhere in Florida, but I am looking forward to getting some when next in NYC.
Yes.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

:?
Last edited by Nicklasss on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

At 15% does it still qualify as a table wine, or is it classified as a fortified wine?

I look down the list of BWE wotys and a striking (disturbing) number of them are creations of M Rolland.

The cynic inside me tells me this wine will be an amorphous blob not recognisable from anywhere.

I just looked on my CT and see I have a case of the 2015, how did that happen?

I had better shut up until I have tried one, or I might get into trouble.
jal

Post by jal »

Comte Flaneur wrote: I look down the list of BWE wotys and a striking (disturbing) number of them are creations of M Rolland.
I think that's what happens when you select a wine from a recent vintage; the fruit forward dominant one stands out! As long as the wine is balanced, the alcohol should not be an issue. The big question for me is whether it will age well.
Best

Jacques
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

There's always next year, where we can lobby for the Couspade at 16% acl...lol
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jal wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote: I look down the list of BWE wotys and a striking (disturbing) number of them are creations of M Rolland.
I think that's what happens when you select a wine from a recent vintage; the fruit forward dominant one stands out! As long as the wine is balanced, the alcohol should not be an issue. The big question for me is whether it will age well.
Yes agreed Jacques. Alcoholic wines usually stand out in tastings of young wines. However what can be an issue is not just the semblance of balance. It is also the ‘lingering afterburn’, which you may not notice on the first glass but starts to become problematic from then on.

What would be fun would be to do a 20th anniversary BWE woty retrospective either at DC or the Bordeaux conventions in 2020, bearing in mind some of the winners may be difficult to source easily.
brodway

Post by brodway »

I just looked on my CT and see I have a case of the 2015, how did that happen?

That's the HOWE effect....you cant fight it... so just succumb to it...
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Comte Flaneur wrote:What would be fun would be to do a 20th anniversary BWE woty retrospective either at DC or the Bordeaux conventions in 2020, bearing in mind some of the winners may be difficult to source easily.
That's a great idea.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Stands tall with the other BWE right bank wine of the year, the 2012 Barde Haut...
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Of course now you cant find it under $30. WS average is $42 with a low of $33. Best price locally is $40. NH has a small amt for $35.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Gerry M. wrote:Of course now you cant find it under $30. WS average is $42 with a low of $33. Best price locally is $40. NH has a small amt for $35.
Mark the occasion, as it has been many years since this has been said:
Zachy's has the lowest price in the country at $32.99:
https://www.zachys.com/tour-st-christop ... 750ml.html
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Comte Flaneur wrote:
jal wrote:
.It is also the ‘lingering afterburn’, which you may not notice on the first glass but starts to become problematic from then on.

Agreed. I don't like afterburn, and for me, it ruins the balance of the whole wine...

I have a different take regarding balance and alcohol in wines. I personally think fruit, tannins, acid and alcohol levels form the balance in a wine. As the wine ages, tannins and fruit fade, and at that time, inevitably alcohol becomes an issue, especially for wines that start with high alcohol. Some might opine that alcohol also lessens as the wine ages, but I am in the camp that it doesn't...That's why I am wary of high alcohol wines, especially those north of 14%, for my palate...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Wasn't 2016 vintage billed as low alcohol, great pH balance vintage? What happened there at WOTY with 15% alcohol level? Or the billing refers only to left bank?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Chateau Vin wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote:
jal wrote: I think that's what happens when you select a wine from a recent vintage; the fruit forward dominant one stands out! As long as the wine is balanced, the alcohol should not be an issue. The big question for me is whether it will age well.
.It is also the ‘lingering afterburn’, which you may not notice on the first glass but starts to become problematic from then on.

Agreed. I don't like afterburn, and for me, it ruins the balance of the whole wine...

I have a different take regarding balance and alcohol in wines. I personally think fruit, tannins, acid and alcohol levels form the balance in a wine. As the wine ages, tannins and fruit fade, and at that time, inevitably alcohol becomes an issue, especially for wines that start with high alcohol. Some might opine that alcohol also lessens as the wine ages, but I am in the camp that it doesn't...That's why I am wary of high alcohol wines, especially those north of 14%, for my palate...

While certainly the subject of debate as well, but I feel the same about oak, especially new oak, American oak and toasted oak. Some say oak integrates with time. I am not of that opinion. What I have personally experienced with these modern wines that were not balanced or judicious in their use of oak, when the fruits and tannins fade, and when we should start enjoying the complexity and nuance of maturity, this is when that flaw (or style, if you prefer) becomes more pronounced. Like with alcohol, the baby fat of ripe and expressive fruit offsets to a point the negative impact of what will showcase more in 10+ years. Not all wines, of course, but many of these new darlings, who perhaps do not have the great terroir to produce complex, mature wines, but are extracted enough in the winemaking to show well on release. That’s my two cents, wrong or right. Right for my palate, of course.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’ve seen oak presence diminish and "integrate." It’s a matter of degree rather than all or nothing. But if the oak sticks out like a sore thumb in the wine's youth, it’s likely to remain a distraction rather than an attraction even after it recedes with age. I may be more tolerant than the average BWE, but my tolerance has diminished with age.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I received a nice note back from Howard Kwok after I told him of our selection:

Hello Jim and everyone,

Seasons greetings from Kyoto, Japan! I'm here for the holidays with my wife, and it's such great news to hear that Chateau Tour Saint Christophe has won the wine of the year! I've cced my team from Vignobles K, who will no doubt be delighted as well. This award is a huge acknowledgment of our team's efforts over the last few years.

It would be such a pleasure to show you our properties in March. Wine is big a passion for our family. I even had my wedding at Chateau Bellefont-Belcier in July! I would be very happy to host the group there for dinner after a visit at Chateau Tour Saint Christophe.

In the world of wine, Vignobles K is still very young, and we have a lot to improve. Thank you for your support, as well as all the support from the BWE community. This means so much to us, and I promise that more good things will come from Vignobles K!

I wish you all a very happy 2020,

Best regards,

Howard
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (29.14 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
brodway

Post by brodway »

That's a heartfelt note. Bellefont Belcier would certainly be a treat for those making the journey to France
marcs

Post by marcs »

Comte Flaneur wrote: What would be fun would be to do a 20th anniversary BWE woty retrospective either at DC or the Bordeaux conventions in 2020, bearing in mind some of the winners may be difficult to source easily.
Everyone will be showing up with cases of the 2012 Barde Haut and 2005 Cantemerle but the 2000 Margaux will be mysteriously absent.

I will say one thing -- retrospective or not I am definitely going to be bringing the 2000 Pichon Baron to the DC convention. Continuing my role as the official 2000 Pichon Baron supplier to BWE; I think it will be the third BWE dinner I've brought it too!
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

marcs wrote: Everyone will be showing up with cases of the 2012 Barde Haut and 2005 Cantemerle but the 2000 Margaux will be mysteriously absent.
You don't seem to know this group very well.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Have the tales of the generosity of the benelovent benefactor been told here in recent times.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I can already guess correctly who will bring the 1989 Lynch...

Nice answer from Mr. Kwok and Vignobles K.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

Has Bellefont Belcier ever changed their labels? It looks the same as what they used to have when I last bought some in the 95 - 05 era? I'd think an ownership / style change would be a good time to freshen up the label.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Tour St. Christophe is OK wine in range of 90-92p.

For me, it's not overly special, there's plenty of wines with same style in Saint-Emilion.

But everyone has its own taste, so beat it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, for my taste I have it closer to Jeff Leve's 95 point rating.
Here is Leve's note, which joins all of the high accolades from Decanter, Wine Advocate, and numerous other wine publications:

With layers of ripe, juicy fruits, crushed stone, truffle, licorice and smoke, this is showing just great. There is volume, depth and definition, with energy and length. Lay this down for 7 years and enjoy it over the next 15 years or even longer.
Read more at:https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/se ... christophe

Sept 21, 2019

Deep, dark and almost opaque in color, the wine is made from blending 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc. Ripe and loaded with fresh fruit, with a real sensation of purity and silky, polished tannins and a hint of chocolate in the finish. The wine reached 14.5% alcohol with pH of 3.7.
Read more at:https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/se ... christophe
April 29, 2017

I'm looking forward to our visit there in March, we will miss you there Nicola!
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

A rare and infrequent reader and contributor.... but Jim you have become Parkerized. While enjoyable to drink a glass, this hardly qualifies as a wine of the year. 2016 offers many, many more compelling wines. Nice forum that I enjoy reading from time to time...Happy New Year to all.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I’d say 2016 Haut Bailly or Pichon Lalande.

Two significant stand-out wines in the 2016 vintage. And they remain true to Bordeaux, not internationalism.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've enjoyed having you here RPCV.
I'm a Bordeaux wine enthusiast, I enjoy Bordeaux.
I don't pretend to hyperanalyze and give low scores to impress my peers like on the Squires site and Berserkers and elsewhere.
We pick one wine each year, with varying reasons.
If we picked the "best" wine each year it would be Petrus or Margaux or Cheval Blanc or...
It is certainly not just me who has observed the quality improvements in recent years at Tour Saint Christophe, Belfont-Belcier, and Haut Brisson.
Neil Martin gives it 94 points. Decanter has it as one of its wines of the year. Wine Spectactor has it rated very high.
All for a wine that has been selling in the mid-20s.
I know we can't all satisfy the brooding, super-serious, self-important, I-can't-be-an-enthusiast crowd, but so be it.
I've had the 2016 Haut Brisson several times and I think it is a beauty, especially at the price of low $20s.
The Kwoks have brought some real quality efforts to Bordeaux in recent years and this pick is a celebration and recognition of those efforts.
Plus, they are super nice people, and we are going to visit their estate in March.
I know Danny had a wonderful experience at their estate, and I had a wonderful time meeting Howard and Jerome at Harvard.
Imagine that, rewarding someone for their unsolicited niceness.
I'm more than happy to celebrate the successes of nice people.
Sure, there are "many" other properties out of the hundreds (thousands) in Bordeaux that could be selected.
That's the case each year.
But we only pick one.
I certainly welcome dissent but the thread sounds like something over on the Squires site.
To those who don't like the Tour Saint Christophe, among the 14/15/16, how do you rank them?
Oh, wait, you haven't tasted them.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I can't really pan Mr. Kwok's TSC seeing as I never tasted it, though I have my concerns ....and seeing his response here it is obvious he is a fine gentleman with a great passion for wine which I applaud...at this time his wine unfortunately has no presence in the Orlando market since we are mostly comprised of unsophisticated backwoods rednecks (O.Robert and I included)...what I find a bit puzzling is of all the right bank wines we could choose for BWE WOTY...we get Barde Haut and Tour S.C....as I said, I am sure T.SC is a fine wine, but honestly, I knew very little to nothing about this wine ...of course I can't even remember what the criteria is to obtain WOTY designation...but there are so many great right bank wines with incredible quality, history and predigree that 'could of' or dare I say 'should of' been chosen first...maybe we are not drinking enough righties? Just some backwoods scribble....regardless, I would like to congratulate Mr. Kwok on making the club!