2020 WINE BUYERS SUPPORT THREAD

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

2020 WINE BUYERS SUPPORT THREAD

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Out of respect for the rules of the 2020 BUYING MORATORIUM SUPPORT THREAD I am starting this thread specifically for the apostate. There are just two rules:

1. POST YOUR 2020 purchases here to discriminate from the "What have you bought lately?" thread.

2. NO PEEKING ALLOWED by moratoriumites.

I don't have any specific purchases in mind for the year but I am grateful for the opportunity to do so with the reduction in demand. Might result in a few more bargains, might clear the auction sites a bit.
Racer Chris

Re: 2020 WINE BUYERS SUPPORT THREAD

Post by Racer Chris »

Should I delete my post in the SWHYBL thread before I post it here?
AKR

Post by AKR »

I grabbed a nice fresh six pack of Roederer Estate for $96.

(Mrs. AKR practically bathes in the stuff)

Typically in February the good deals will start.

I've bought relatively little swill in the last 12 mos. anyways.

My goal in the next year or so is to get rid of some off site storage, as we have 3 lockers in various places, and that's just nuts.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Racer Chris wrote:Should I delete my post in the SWHYBL thread before I post it here?
These rules are just advisory.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I had a shopping cart saved at Central Wine Merchants for the last couple months with some '16 Lilian Ladouys, '15 Prieure Lichine, and '16 Dame de Montrose, but I was over-budget for the year. So I waited patiently.
Yesterday I got an email with a free shipping coupon good for today and tomorrow so I logged in. The Lilian Ladouys was gone and the other two were still there at the original price, so I pulled the trigger.
4x 2015 Ch. Prieure-Lichine
4x 2016 La Dame de Montrose

Up next I have a shopping list for my local wine purveyor but always pay cash there, as he gives me great discounts. As sn as I have enough $$ in my wallet that isn't already committed to regular expenses I'll stop in. He has a few bottles of 2015 Ch. Siran that I want. That will mean I have all the Bordeaux already on my buying list - which should keep me from complaining too much about the tariffs.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

It looks like I may be travelling to Maine the weekend of Jan 31-Feb 1, in time to take advantage of the New Hampshire Liquor Stores' Customer Appreciation Days.
I took a few minutes to look at inventory in the two Hampton stores on I-95. Northbound (#76) appears to have a good assortment of Cru Bourgeois 2016 Bordeaux that I could fill a mixed case with. I need to add some champagne for the wife so she'll agree to stop, and maybe get a few bottles of liquor while we're at it.
@JimHow - is the 15% discount in addition to current sale prices? For instance, Billecart Salmon is on sale at $44.99 thru Feb 2. Will my price be reduced to just $38.24 if it's part of a mixed case?
Unfortunately the BWE WOTY isn't currently available in the stores I have good access to.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm trying to remember, Chris, but I think the answer is yes, it gets reduced an additional amount.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:I'm trying to remember, Chris, but I think the answer is yes, it gets reduced an additional amount.
After looking around a bit more I think I'd better start saving for two cases. One at store 76 on the way up Friday and one at store 73 on the way home Saturday.
That way we can get two each of Krug, Pol Roger (on sale), and Billecart-Salmon (on sale) which should last us the year. And I can easily come up with another 18 bottles of Bordeaux to buy between the two stores. I may splurge and get one bottle of 2016 Talbot at $65. Everything else will be from $15-40, such as Sociando, Senejac, Labegorce, and the like, including a few bottles from older vintages that I saw.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done. Very well done indeed.
And tax free too.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

With all the talk of great buys in NH, I was resigned to missing out - until my dad called yesterday and said he wants to get the family together in Maine that weekend.
Our gathering isn't firm yet, and there's always the chance of inclement weather putting an end to the plan, but at least I'm optimistic right now. :)
brodway

Post by brodway »

other than Calon Segur and Rauzan Segla i don't see any compelling deals with the NH pricing taken into account 15% off.

what am i missing ? i see many of the wines i would want to have in my cellar available nationally and in many instances delivered tax free

https://www.liquorandwineoutlets.com/wi ... ux_release

above link is what i found. maybe not seeing what you are Jim
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don’t think the 2016 Bordeaux pricing is that great Emil, I think they get to reasonable with the 15% discount, but nothing I would drive up for. The 2014 pricing was great, that’s what I bought big on.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I'm not shopping for classified growths to lay down for 20 years. My cellar has nearly all of what I want for that already.
Rather, I need daily drinker/cellar defender level wines to help me keep my hands off the good stuff.
So I'm looking at Baron de Brane, not Brane Cantenac. The Baron will be under $30, and I won't mind buying a couple at that price to drink later this year.
I have no intention of driving to New Hampshire just to buy wine, but if I'm driving by the store anyway I don't have travel/delivery costs to consider.
If I can get a few '16 Lanessan for $17/per bottle, to me that's a worthy deal.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll buy more 2016 Sociando in NH at $41.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

That 2016 Sociando sounds right in my wheelhouse.
I need the web equivalent of putting fingers in ears and chanting "LALALALALALALA."
Unavailable locally but B-21 has it for $40 in FL, and we’ll be down there next month.
Must resist!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You have some exemptions available, David, no?
A half dozen 2016 Sociandos at $40 seems to be in order.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Chris

Lanessan at $17 is a steal...i would also look at Cantemerle at $30 (got an email from LA Wine this afternoon), Haut Brisson $23, Meyney $33, Olivier $32, Lilian Ladouys $23, Fonbadet $32, Fombrauge $32, Badette $32, Tour St. Christophe $33, Fontenil $25, Pressac $30, Poesia (saw it at $33 still searching for it)

I'm finding for the non trophy wines in 2016, much of the pricing is reasonable and in a good number of instances at first tranche pricing. Bordeaux, for the level of quality is inexpensive, especially the St. Emilion region that rarely gets the respect it deserves.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

It didn't take me long to virtually fill two cases, just shopping in the Hampton North store. In fact I could easily fill 3 cases. That's with only 4 bottles of champagne for my wife, which may not work too well when she goes in with me and sees how many bottles of Bordeaux are going into the shopping cart.
Of course, the month is early and I won't be there until the end of the sale, so inventory may be depleted when I get there.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done indeed. The Bordeaux inventory moves slowly.
marcs

Post by marcs »

DavidG wrote:That 2016 Sociando sounds right in my wheelhouse.
I need the web equivalent of putting fingers in ears and chanting "LALALALALALALA."
Unavailable locally but B-21 has it for $40 in FL, and we’ll be down there next month.
Must resist!
Two things that might help -

1) My thread on the 2016 Sociando where I liked it OK but wasn't super enthusiastic (read down in the thread to where Jim asked me if I liked it). After trying it in 2019 (so I could have purchased) I did not feel urgency to get more:

--viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8629

2) Reflect on how incredibly unlikely it is that all the 2016 Sociando Mallet in the world will be sold out before December 31, 2020 so none will be available in 2021.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thank you, Marcus, your point about waiting a year makes eminent sense.
I may ultimately use an exemption for it, but not this early in the year.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

They the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

I knew I was in trouble when at 9am the Farr Vintners annual end of year sale email landed in my inbox.

I didn’t have to scroll down very far to see that they were selling cases of 2016 Sociando Mallet at a discounted price which worked out at less than $30 a bottle ex-tax and less than $35 including tax.

I blame you lot and especially Jim for my transgression.

To compound my malfeasance, upon scrolling down further I stumbled across a case of 2000 Bel-Air Marquis de L’Aligre at a price too good to turn down especially as it is a wine I have been on the look out for.

So a week in I have used up 27 out of my 36 bottle annual allocation.

I am happy to report though that despite my dismal backsliding when it comes to wine buying, one week in my 60 day fast is going swimmingly. No problem at all. I sail through the 7-8pm danger zone as I plonk my Chinese ready meal into the microwave on getting home from work. It has been a piece of cake. A walk in the park. Easy peasy.
stefan

Post by stefan »

27 bottles in the first week of the year is not too bad, Ian. I am not participating in the freeze because the BD did not approve my exceptions, yet I have bought nary a bottle in 2020.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It's ok, Ian. It's ok.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I can only help you within the constraints of the moratorium.
I just see no exemptions for those wines you purchased.
I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ian, thanks. I feel better now about being 7 bottles in the hole already. But then, I only opted for 1 case of wine for the year purchased in the USA. I’ll probably pick up a mixed case or two in London and France, depending if I can wrangle out of VAT or not.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I will help you as much as I can blanquito....
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Not too bad guys. Seems like you will resist and respect the moratorium.

I guess I should pay a trip to either North Korea or Iran, to each BWEers that will respect the moratorium, as you will be used to be tortured...

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I’m done now anyway. I am confident I can restrict my purchases to within nine bottles over the next 357 days.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Berserker Day is only 2 1/2 weeks away. I read that Ridge is on the list this year. :mrgreen:
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Must... stay... away... from... Berserker... Day... !!!