2016 Chateau Fombrauge - Anyone tasted this?

JCNorthway

2016 Chateau Fombrauge - Anyone tasted this?

Post by JCNorthway »

I'm curious if anyone has tasted the 2016 Chateau Fombrauge St. Emilion. Comments I've seen in other places seem inconsistent with respect to its style. However, the major critics seemed to like it.
Ianjaig

Re: 2016 Chateau Fombrauge - Anyone tasted this?

Post by Ianjaig »

Not sure if this helps or not (as you're after notes for the 16) but I tried the 2015 at a tasting a couple of years ago and was impressed enough to buy some and tuck away.
brodway

Post by brodway »

JC

i had a note on the Fombrauge from a small sample at a local wine shop. it was a good wine with a good bit of fruit not unlike a number of 2016's. i only bought a bottle of it as i thought it was a wine i'd like to try again in a few years. if it was under $30 i'd be a buyer, but i had a better note for the Berliquet which was $35 locally and i thought had more layers of complexity and fruit that was almost silky.

overall, i'm a fan of St. Emilion wines in 2016. if not for the price inflation, i'd be accumulating Troplong Mondot, Figeac, Clos St. Martin, Canon and Clos Fourtet.....still haven't wrapped my hands around the fact that prices have doubled and tripled for these wines in a decade
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

if not for the price inflation, i'd be accumulating Troplong Mondot, Figeac, Clos St. Martin, Canon and Clos Fourtet.....still haven't wrapped my hands around the fact that prices have doubled and tripled for these wines in a decade
Broadway, that is my Bordeaux dilemma in spades. I bought multiple cases from 95, 96, 98, 2000, and then laid low for personal economic reasons. As I look at my cellar, I need to fill in some wines to follow these vintages without needing 15-25 years to evolve. I thought the Frombrauge might be one of those wines. I have a lead on some for under $30, so I might bite.
AKR

Post by AKR »

You might want to snoop around for Cote de Baleau or Grand Corbin Despagne.

They are making reasonably priced St Emilions with the legs to run for a decade or two.

I'd class them both in the traditional camp, so don't get hyper about scores.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Cote be Baleau has been a regular for me...have been drinking them since 2000 vintage..i find them to be early drinkers...have to find a bottle of the 2016 for sure
AKR

Post by AKR »

My 2000's CdB are drinking very well...They have held their fruit well.

I remember their sister estate Grandes Murailles got raspy over time, even though in theory it was supposed to be the better wine. But the fruit fell behind the tannin.

Moulin st Georges has gone up in price (rightfully) but is also a special wine at the $50ish price point. I remember the good old days when a case was $300ish and DavidG picked one a box of 1998 for me in Maryland at some not shipping retailer.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Moulin St. Georges was a definite buy at $25 back in late 1990's and 2000. Enjoyed the 2000 quite a bit. But for me, it is an easy pass over $40.