TN Shoutout to 1998 Ch. Sociando Mallet

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN Shoutout to 1998 Ch. Sociando Mallet

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Seems like January is Sociando Mallet month. This came to hand first so I cracked it open last night. This bottle was spot on. It was at times rude and overbearing and at others irresistibly charismatic, suave even. Large scale, full-bodied but not heavy, though initially quite dry with vibrant acids, I'd say a flourish aptly describes the mouthfeel. Very dark flavors including some coffee. Oak largely integrated and complimentary in both bouquet and flavor. Mild to moderate green peppers in the bouquet. Good sweetness. I think the acids and tannic lift are just right.

It would be great to bottle this, so to speak, and be able to access this exact experience on demand. As it is this may well have been my last bottle of this vintage of SM.
Blanquito

Re: TN Shoutout to 1998 Ch. Sociando Mallet

Post by Blanquito »

I can practically taste the wine. Very evocative note. I guess I am a bit surprised too how good this sounds, as 98 wouldn't be a vintage that I'd expect to favor SM (but neither would I expect the 95 to be so good at this address).
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Dayum, perhaps I pull one this weekend! Thanks for the note.

Just had some beers and sushi, and am now finishing the last 1/4 of the 1998 Ch La Conseillante that I popped last night, then sealed with Repour.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I love '98 sociando!! So crazy classic
Ognik

Post by Ognik »

Imo the best SM of the 90s decade. Love this wine. Still a half case to go.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

You guys are terrible enablers. Despite having sushi and beers out, coming home to polish off the remainder of a La Conseillante, I ended up popping the 98 SM for a final round. A truly beguiling nose of classic Bordeaux perfume with some musk, dark cassis. The palate is much tighter, showing a leaner profile that was actually lip-smackingly good and refreshing but not necessarily deep. I chalked that up to potentially suffering from a pop and pour, but did close the remainder up fast with Repour to enjoy tonight. Looking forward to it, this is an excellent wine.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Sociando Mallet did it again!

One of the most interesting and always truly Classical Médoc wine. Long time since I had the 1998, it seems to age well.

Nic