Mussels and a good rich Vinho Verde

Nicklasss

Mussels and a good rich Vinho Verde

Post by Nicklasss »

Meen masala mussels tonight, they are delicious. Béatrice, 6 years old, ate as much mussels than Marie-Claude!

But no wine for Béa, wine just to calm unpure spirits of adults.

2018 Muros Antigos, Alvarinho. Light yellow, with bit of tropical fruits on the nose like ripe starfruit, light mango, with white flowers, white peaches and yellow apples. Mouth is nice, rich, but not reflecting that much the nose. Mineral flavors, some fat and unctuosity, green lemon, more limited but still good friend for the mussels. Very light acidity and bitterness. Very good. Tn: 87.

Nic
dstgolf

Re: Mussels and a good rich Vinho Verde

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

Love mussels and Albarino. I have not found a Portugese equivalent Alvarinho to match up. Usually less crisp acidity and low alcohol leaves me a little flat. I keep trying as they are available but haven't found a reasonable match even though the grapes is the same. Do you have any favourites of either?
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi Danny.

In the past, i liked the Zarate albarino from Spain. Better than the Portuguese one I had tonight.

On the Portugal side, Morgadio da Torre is very good.

Need to explore more toward that grape, wine <25 $, but distinctive, a bit of complexity, and go well with shell sea foods with different "aromates".

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

The one Iberian white I quite like is that Basque stuff - Txactoli or something.

It's feels like an appley type of riesling.

I've been pleasantly surprised with California SB and other whites in recent years.

I made a shrimp scampi with spaghetti noodle the other night and used a mass market 2017 Coppolla pinot grigio for part of the sauce, and the rest with supper, and it was quite good.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nice stuff, Nic. I don’t drink much Vinho Verde but I usually enjoy it a lot and mussels seem like the ideal pairing.
jal

Post by jal »

Txakolina, I love that stuff as well, it's a little effervescent, goes great with light seafood dishes
Best

Jacques