2008 Dom Perignon

Blanquito

2008 Dom Perignon

Post by Blanquito »

All the chatter made me pull one of these out for test drive to see what all the fuss is about...

Scents of musk flowers, lime and ginger, quite fresh without any yeast or brioche. The palate is extra zesty and coiled, with layers and layers extract and a super long, mouth-coating finish. Quite dry. When you take a sip, this bubbly has a big impact on the taste buds, weighty and profound with a real presence, yet somehow it’s light and bright all the same. There’s also a flavor here akin to umami or maybe something like a caraway seed (from Pinot?), to go with all the kaffir lime. In many ways, this reminds me of a great Muscadet as much as a champagne. I’m really enjoying this tonight but this is way too young. Wonderful potential. Probably 93 pts today, but 95+ when at peak.
stefan

Re: 2008 Dom Perignon

Post by stefan »

2008 Dom or NV Krug? That is the question, sayeth the Bard.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:2008 Dom or NV Krug? That is the question, sayeth the Bard.
A true conundrum, so I bought a bit of both (more Dom though).
stefan

Post by stefan »

As a true BWEer, you passed the test with the answer "buy both"!
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Typical Blanquito: “way too young”

Well, I opened one of my 2008 Dons at an ‘82 Bordeaux dinner last Sunday. I thought it was great for current drinking (Panos scored it at 95) and I will be opening another bottle at the next appropriate occasion. By the way, 1982 Pichon Lalande is really rocking and 1982 Leoville Las Cases still needs time.

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm heading to NYC this week and I'm buying more 2008 Dom Perignon.

We will be drinking 2008 Dom Perignon and 2008 Cristal at the Benevolent Dictator Champagne Reception in Bordeaux in March, it'll be fun to try them side by side.
jal

Post by jal »

I'm with Chris on the 2008 Dom, perfect now and may improve a bit but I find older Champagnes a bit heavy (ok, it's just me!).
And as far as Dom vs Krug Grande Cuvée, why choose? Both are stunningly delicious.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ha, I resemble that remark. The 08 Dom is delicious now, in case that was lost in my review, but it is a long ways from its peak, let alone full maturity. And based on my sampling, I am of the position that will be (much) better at peak than it is today.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

But I like mature bubbly, not so mature as to be fully oxidized or bereft of all effervescence, but complex and texturally open.

Come on guys, I came of age in the UK! That’s where I cut my teeth and developed my blanquito palate. And I like my wines young and feisty compared with the Oxbridge, necrophile palate.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’m with Patrick: excellent now, will be even better in 10 years.
sdr

Post by sdr »

DavidG wrote:I’m with Patrick: excellent now, will be even better in 10 years.
Even better better in 15 years. Good reason to stay alive at least that long.

Stu
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I'll admit to my ignorance of aging champagne. Always pop and pour enjoying most but have certain dislikes. I've enjoyed virtually all of the high juice striving to at least say I've sampled in my lifetime the broad selection but aging of champagnes is not something that I've done or had experience with. I was very interested reading SDR recent notes on his champagne night and INTNOS I'd love to have experienced the difference but I've never approached champagne that way. I know I don't like yeasty ,bready notes and the Salon that we bought just because years back I enjoyed in the beginning but found it heavy, yeasty and not to my liking. Dom in between and Cristal in a sweet spot. Complex, citrus zest, green apples fine mouse all a pleasure with that nice clean finish but it doesn't have to be Cristal to satisfy me. There are lots of less expensive Champagne or sparklers that we enjoy but this concept of better in 15 yrs...maybe but if it's so good now why wait until it's Francois age with no bubbles, golden yellow and oxidized to find those nuances to talk about then no thanks not my cup of tea!!
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Me, I'm happy with young Dom Perignon.
And that '96 Winona brought was great, too.
It's all great, young and with some age on it.
Dom is a sweet spot for me, though, I prefer it over Krug.
I guess I just don't "get" Krug.
Looking forward to the big Dom vs Cristal faceoff in France....
jal

Post by jal »

I agree with every word Danny said. I don't need layers of flavors, nuance and strong backbone in my Champagne, I'm happy with excellent fruit and clean finish.
But like Danny, I also think an evening with Stuart trying a bunch of P2s would have been an extraordinary once in a lifetime experience.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I agree with 99.358 percent of what Winona Chief said.
Just give me young Dom Perignon and shut up.
I’ll never taste a Dom vertical like what Stuart drinks.
And I have no doubt the ‘82 Pichon Lalande is still drinking great as well!
sdr

Post by sdr »

Cristal mini vertical last night, from ‘09 back to ‘95. Many, including me, the necrophiliac-in-chief, preferred the ‘95 for its depth and complexity. But the ‘08 soared above all the 21st century vintages. Fabulous roundness and balance. Young champagne often tastes overly severe and acidic to me although Cristal is the most approachable young. We also had the ‘10 Roederer vintage which confirmed my opinionated view. Obviously, palate preference, no wrong answers.

Stu
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:I agree with 99.358 percent of what Winona Chief said.
Just give me young Dom Perignon and shut up.
I’ll never taste a Dom vertical like what Stuart drinks.
And I have no doubt the ‘82 Pichon Lalande is still drinking great as well!
Chris didn't tell anyone to shut up, but maybe that part is the 0.642 percent where you disagree with him.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

sdr wrote:...Young champagne often tastes overly severe and acidic...
Be careful, Stu, this sort of take will get you branded a Cassandra!
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I think I’ll open another bottle of 2008 Dom tonight.

I have come to just love Champagne (in many different styles, ages and flavor profiles). If it tastes good I will drink it. I have had some that I thought were too young and some that I thought were too old. But it’s all just my personal taste.

By the way, I do agree that bottle of 1996 Dom that I shared with Jim in Maine a few years ago was spectacular. Of course it was a perfect relaxed setting on Jim’s deck with perfect weather. That was a great evening in every respect.

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I brought a bottle of 2008 Dom to NYC this week, it'll be uncorked at some point this weekend....
It's great now and I'm sure it will continue to please for as long as I'm still around for another decade or two.
I'll be heading back through NH on Sunday, the last day of their 15% off sale.
Has anyone tried the Pol Roger NV? It gets like 92 points from the Advocate.
Don't see the regular vintage bottlings of Pol Roger in NH any more, I wonder why.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I used to drink NV Pol Roger regularly, but that was like 20-30 years ago. Sorry I can’t add any recent useful opinion.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I've drunk a few bottles of Pol Roger in the last several years. I'd say it's generally above average quality for its price point. Certainly decent QPR, but you have to pay if you want fireworks.
stefan

Post by stefan »

In recent years I have not been impressed with NV Pol Roger.