TN: 2002 Pol Roger Champagne Blanc de Blancs

DavidG

TN: 2002 Pol Roger Champagne Blanc de Blancs

Post by DavidG »

Wanted a BdB to go with blinis, creme fraiche and caviar and this was a great match.
  • 2002 Pol Roger Champagne Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne (2/3/2020)
    Consistent with past bottles. Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Medium yellow. Toasted bread, almond, baked apple nose in just the right proportions for a pleasant complexity without excessive oxidative nature, at least for my palate. Medium body, good balance, flavors follow the nose, medium finish. Drinking well now and should continue to do so for the next few years at least. Excellent.
ericindc

Re: TN: 2002 Pol Roger Champagne Blanc de Blancs

Post by ericindc »

Thanks for the note. I had the 2008 Pol Roger BdB a few weeks ago. I didnt take notes but I liked the body and brioche notes. I was a bit surprised that the 2008 didnt have strong acid bite, but maybe that's because it was very balanced vs. some others i've tried.
--
Eric
stefan

Post by stefan »

"A few years?" Quite an understatement, I think.

Was the caviar from Berserker Day? I was tempted to buy some.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Eric, I haven’t had the 2008, thanks for the note.

Yes, Stefan, I splurged on a 3-pack of Charlie's caviar on Berserker day. Finished off the tin straight up with the remaining Champagne for breakfast this morning, then fixed a bagel and lox with creme fraiche. Yumm.

The 2002 PR BdB got to that almost perfect level of maturity a bit quicker than I expected. I like old Champagne and suspect this one will still appeal for 10-20 years. For those who prefer freshness and eschew oxidative notes it might be 5 years or so before it’s past their preferred peak.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I've had the 2002 PR BdB four or five times over the last 4 years, having bought good stash of it from PC. And I am inclined to agree with David, I think this is a comparatively early maturing Pol Roger compared to older vintages (but I am finding that true of the 02s in general) and as such it is close to peak drinking for my tastes.

See, I don't always think a wine needs more time!
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Looks like need to open soon and not wait too long...