TN: 2002 Château Léoville Barton (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

JimHow

TN: 2002 Château Léoville Barton (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

Post by JimHow »

• 2002 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (2/12/2020)
    I know Ian had a disappointing experience with this wine recently but the last bottle of my case was uncorked tonight as I sat here preparing for an argument before the Maine Supreme Court tomorrow morning (weather permitting... four inches of snow are projected in Portland, and the sissies will most likely close down the courts.)

As I was prepping my final argument here this evening -- I do it without notes, anyway -- I sipped on this very, very lovely Leoville Barton. I can certainly see how this wine, like many 2002 Medocs, might get lost in a vertical tasting in Olde London Towne....

But, fortunately, I have consumed every one of these puppies on their own. And when you don't compare them to 1982, or 1990, or 2000, or 2010, etc., etc., they are stunning on their own... Like MOST 2002 Medocs.

This wine was just magnificent, sigh, I wish I had about three cases more. Wow. THIS, my friends, is what we call Bordeaux. Classic, classic, cedar St. Julien. Let me check.. Yeah, as I guessed: 12.5% alch. From a place called the Medoc.

Wow.

As good as it gets.

Last bottle of a brilliant case of wine was the best, they got better and better. No need to blanquito it.

Rating: 95 points. (95 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
JimHow

Re: TN: 2002 Château Léoville Barton (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

Post by JimHow »

Wow, look at this, I forgot you can post your notes from Cellartracker.
We are really something, aren't we?
brodway

Post by brodway »

have had very similar experience with a case of 2002 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou. sitting on 1 bottle which i will greatly regret once it gone. i find the off vintages offer very classic Bordeaux qualities that amplify structure over fruit and they are just perfect for times you are sitting around pondering on things needing a drink that doesn't distract you from deep thought.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

That’s one of my favorite things about 02 Bordeaux— most/many of them are in the zone, drinking well.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

They have attained Howquito.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

So damn good, we needed two threads!

I have to admit, I blew the 2002 vintage. Have had some very lovely Mouton and Cos, but never bought anything else.

Sounds like the vintage is at apogee.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Jim - all my experiences with this wine have been great barring one flawed bottle. My last note:

3/5/2019 - 93 Points
On great form last night. Perfectly judged, with richness, judicious heft, lift, verve, freshness and a satisfying raciness and grippiness all the way without being rustic or raspy. Plenty of trademark cigar box notes this is a more textbook expression of Leoville Barton than the smoother and rounder 2001 and I think I prefer the 2002.

Having said that I think the 2004 is even better.

You can always buy more Jim, but it may not be as cheap as it was in the day.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Here's my remaining stash of 02 and the prices I paid (including my holdings from the great 2002 Heist at MacArthurs at the BWE Convention):
  • Branaire-Ducru -- 4 bottles -- $24
    d’Issan -- 2 bottles -- $22
    Gloria -- 4 bottles -- $24
    Lafon-Rochet -- 1 bottle -- $20
    Leoville-Barton -- 5 bottles -- $36
    Leoville Las Cases -- 1 bottle -- $83
    Pichon Baron -- 6 bottles -- $36
    Pichon Lalande -- 3 bottles -- $99
    Sociando Mallet -- 2 bottles -- $24
Which should I drink tonight?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:They have attained Howquito.
I love when a wine is Howquitoed.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Leoville-Barton, and tell us if it should be Blanquitoed or Howquitoed.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote:Here's my remaining stash of 02 and the prices I paid (including my holdings from the great 2002 Heist at MacArthurs at the BWE Convention):
  • Branaire-Ducru -- 4 bottles -- $24
    d’Issan -- 2 bottles -- $22
    Gloria -- 4 bottles -- $24
    Lafon-Rochet -- 1 bottle -- $20
    Leoville-Barton -- 5 bottles -- $36
    Leoville Las Cases -- 1 bottle -- $83
    Pichon Baron -- 6 bottles -- $36
    Pichon Lalande -- 3 bottles -- $99
    Sociando Mallet -- 2 bottles -- $24
Which should I drink tonight?
Lalande!

Go big.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Léo Barton, as it seems at it perfect spot. If still thirsty after, Gloria?

Nic
jckba

Post by jckba »

I would also vote for a Barton and then we can cross reference your note against Jim’s ...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Decided on the Barton.
Attachments
1F0AA07E-AB34-40BF-BC75-C852A455A9C0.jpeg
1F0AA07E-AB34-40BF-BC75-C852A455A9C0.jpeg (128.09 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’m with Jim — this beauty is ready to roll! It has attained the transcendence of Howquito.

2002 Château Léoville Barton
Expressive, lovely, utterly classic bouquet of cedar, graphite, charcoal, and purple flowers. Overall, this is cool fruited and extra juicy with a minty intensity that just purrs Cabernet. Nice mid-palate weight and punch. Tangy and savory finish, still showing some primary char and tar. Fully in the zone structurally and aromatically. With more time, more nuance and an inner sweetness could develop, taking this to another level, but drinking really well as is. A classic. 93-94 pt
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nicely done and I have a couple left so I will be sure to enjoy them with BWE brethren.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I froze the 2nd half of the bottle on day one, and thawed the remains tonight.

Wow, this is even better than the first go. The nose is a little better (but it was excellent on day one), but there are more fireworks on the palate today. So smooth, tangy and savory, generous even for a Barton, and fully in the zone. I’d say mid maturity overall. Pop one now, especially if you prefer your claret younger with more vigorous fruit.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I like it when Blanquito write that a 2002 is ready. And it is not a full moon night yet.

For what if worth, the 2017 Barton was one of the best 2017 i tasted a month ago.

I might have some Barton at the DC convention. Not 100 % decided yet. The 1996 was very shinning at the Saturday lunch in Denver.

Nic
marcs

Post by marcs »

I have two bottles of this in my DC storage from our MacArthurs heist a couple of years ago, maybe I will bring one to the March 7th dinner along with various 2000 Bordeaux, although as Jim points out 2002s don't do their best in mass tastings.

More excitingly, I have three bottles of it in my long term storage that were purchased on release and have been stored perfectly since then. Jim and Blanquito, can I ask if these bottles were from MacArthurs? I have found those bottles to be a little more advanced than 2002s I purchased on release.

P.S. have to say, I'm sure this is great, based not just on these notes but my previous experiences with it, but I'd be surprised if it's better than 2004...that last 2004 I tried was the best LB I've ever had and I've had some good ones.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I got my 2002 L Barton at Table and Vine in 2005, so they were stored properly. If I only had two bottles though, Marcus, I’d probably wait a few more years at least.

It’s crazy to think how “cheap” wines like this were not long ago (2005 feels like yesterday). I did get the 2014 Barton for a good price at $57, and in real terms that’s probably pretty close to $35 in 2005, but even still the 2014 feels expensive. Bottomline: When great wines were <$50, it made wine appreciation easier.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I have *five* bottles, three purchased at release and stored perfectly, two from MacArthurs. Think I'll crack another one of the MacArthurs soon.

Should have bought those 2002s by the case lot, three bottles was a lot for me then believe it or not...

I think Barton's prices will stay somewhat affordable even if not like the glory days of 2002. Even the 2016 which as the WS Wine of the Year is as hyped as you can possibly hype a wine has settled in at $140 and new releases are in the $70 range.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I don’t own any 2002 Léoville Barton but still have some 1996 which Nic says was showing really well last year in Denver. Last 1996 I had was years ago. It took 3-4 hours to really open up, which led me to Blanquito it. Maybe time to take another look? A number of people on CT seem unimpressed, suggesting it made a rapid move to a not so great maturity.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Bold statement of the day: either the 96 needs more time, or the 02 is clearly the superior wine. Per usual, I’m in the former camp (though I think overall the 96 and 02 are similar in quality, once the 96 fully blossoms).
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

That's the perfect waffle, Patrick, and an almost universal response to a wine that underperforms: the 1996 either needs more time or it's not that good. I'll say that I've loved every bottle of the 1996 that I've opened, even though it took a loooong time for it to open up. It won the BWE "Leovilles Vertical" tasting in NYC in 2002, but I don't have the details of what other wines were in the mix back then. Obviously not the 2002, as the grapes were still on the vine.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I thought the 1996 Léoville Barton at that lunch in Denver was perfect. A very nice 23 years old claret, still fruity, concentrated, with also that dark something and leathery oak, but strongly showing the 1996 vintage. This is exactly how I like my Médoc wines, with still some structure too. Most of the recent comments/notes on CT are clearly saying it is good now, in a 92-95 rating depending of your bottle. For my taste, it is about right. Waiting longer is possible, but if you like Cabernet Sauvignon dark fruit, with some freshness, it is now or in the next five years.

If the 1996 Léoville Barton needs 12-15 more years, well 1996 Latour needs what? 35 more? Hum? And that 1996 Lafite in Fort Lauderdale could surely takes more years, but seems like it was stellar anyway, in a different way, and that was 2 weeks ago.

Never had the 2002 Léoville Barton, but I mostly liked the 2002 i had, except La Mission who has a nice nose, but the mouth is not at par.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

strongly showing the 1996 vintage.
When you drink a 1996, you know it.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Alright, I’ll play. The 02 LB is better than the 96, high praise indeed. The 02 is a more pleasurable and complete wine.

I can’t promise I’ll feel the way in 10 years or so, but who wants to wait that long?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

We need to drink these side by side.
I’ll bring a 96 to DC if someone brings an 02.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I’ll bet the 2004 would be best of all of them, it’s a fantastic wine when well stored

I have the MacArthurs 2002 and also 1996, 2003, and 2004 sourced on the secondary market all available in my DC storage so would be easy to bring...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Alright, I’ll play. The 02 LB is better than the 96, high praise indeed. The 02 is a more pleasurable and complete wine.

I can’t promise I’ll feel the way in 10 years or so, but who wants to wait that long?
Well done, well done. Agreed.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I think a mini Leoville Barton at the DC Convention is a great idea! Comparing the 96, 02, 03 and 04 side to side. I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts on that.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I agree the 02 gives more pleasure.
But that is because the 96 needs at least one more Blanquito.

I have cases of 02 and 04 coming out of storage this week in time for the end of my fast. As well as a whole bunch of other lovely wines.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Blanquito wrote:I think a mini Leoville Barton at the DC Convention is a great idea! Comparing the 96, 02, 03 and 04 side to side. I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts on that.
We should do it but Blanquito needs to be there!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I agree David, blanquito needs to be there. I never had the 2002 and I know if must be very good because these Léovilles are the best in less stellar vintages.

I liked the 1996, but i liked all the 1996 Médoc i had!

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

BWE moves the market (again): a 4 bottle lot of the 02 Leoville Barton just went for $431 all-in!

https://m.klwines.com/Auction/BidDetail/1465401
marcs

Post by marcs »

LOL holy shit. Who would have thought that would ever be a $100 wine...you bastards have to stop it with all your purple prose praising 2002.
jal

Post by jal »

No Léoville Barton tasting is complete without Ian and Patrick. These two are to the estate what Bill is to La Lagune.
Best

Jacques
marcs

Post by marcs »

There's still time to jump on a plane you guys! The collective will subsidize your trip to DC!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I tried to talk my wife into coming to DC for the weekend, but she wasn't game, not with 2 little kids, too much hassle for someone who doesn't care about wine.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Patrick, tell her MC doesn't care too much about wine either.

I have to go shopping with MC on Saturday, but if both of you are there, we can send the wifes shopping while we havi g lunch with other BWEers... to keep our couple relationship strong!

Nic