TN: 2014 Château Calon-Ségur (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe)

Gerry M.

TN: 2014 Château Calon-Ségur (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe)

Post by Gerry M. »

It's been quite a while since I've had this and was totally amazed how good it was. Not sure if it's shutting down but damn, it was good.
  • 2014 Château Calon-Ségur - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (2/15/2020)
    Just Wow! This is still an infant but it is so balanced it is still extremely enjoyable now. Decanted for two hours and enjoyed with filet mignon and cheezy potatoes. The tannins are there but not overly harsh. The fat from the meat and cheese cut through the tannin and let the fruit shine through. I'm so happy to have over a case of this and can only imagine how good the 2016 will be. I'll try to hold off another 5 years before having again but boy it will be tough. (94 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Racer Chris

Re: TN: 2014 Château Calon-Ségur (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe)

Post by Racer Chris »

I couldn't help but drink three of the nine I bought, all in 2018. I don't think about the other 6, being safely stowed where I won't touch them for 5+ years.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I only tasted this once at a Zachys tasting and it was quite good but for current prime time drinking I would take a hard look at the ‘95 with some air or the ‘96 as the pricing is more than fair considering the upwards direction in which some of the more current vintages are retailing for ...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Look delicious Gerry. Calon is on a high since when? 2000 or 2005?

My problem, i did not bought enough 2014 Bordeaux at all.

Nic
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Nic
the 14's are going for reasonable prices at least here in balmy Singapore as the usual suspects had talked up 2015 and 2016 so much that when the 14's were released, it was something of a non-event.
I drank a 2014 St Emilion (Clos Jacobins) last weekend which was pretty good for a modestly priced wine, and have managed to buy a few cases of 14's retail - at lower prices than the indents would have been.

Not sure if the new tariffs have hit you, but the 14's have slipped under the radar.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

2014 was a very good year for both Red Bordeaux and Sauternes/Barsac. Really classy and reasonably priced compared with 2015 and 2016.

Chris Bublitz
marcs

Post by marcs »

2014 is going to turn out to be one of the great underrated vintages I think. A light and classical touch but also surprisingly vivid and powerful