TN: 05 Hortevie [St Julien]

AKR

TN: 05 Hortevie [St Julien]

Post by AKR »

05 Hortevie [St Julien] This was something I picked up at Total Wine when I moved back here, just right off the shelf, for maybe $29ish. It's - strangely - a French grey market import which I didn't think a place like T-W would do, especially since they can direct import. But in any case, beyond the strange provenance of this compared to my normal 'buy on release and be patient' wont, it's a lovely wine. 13% abv, and it carries that balance effortlessly. On the first day its all sweet fruit and cassis, with resolved tannins, and a rich depth of flavor. On the second day, it rounds out with a touch of mulberry on the nose, and you can see bricking at the rims. I'd say this is a point and can be consumed with delight. 2005 is one of my favorite overall vintages -- behind maybe only 1990 -- and this Hortevie is a fine example of everything that year offered: ripe fruit, depth, and interest. I'm trying to think of the last time I had this bottling...maybe 1996 or so? In any case, I don't think this is around any more. If you like Ducru, this is worth exploring if you ever seen any 2005+ vintages. A- in my ledger.

PS: It went well with a platter of sushi the first night too, whether or not that is an approved pairing :)

PPS: it appears there is a bottle of this on WineBid right now, currently bid at $21. I realize everyone has different 'net' prices for items they acquire there, depending on shipping/taxes etc., but I doubt anyone would by unhappy with this at $30 or less.
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: 05 Hortevie [St Julien]

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks Arv that’s interesting. I have dabbled with this wine from time to time, which the UK Wine Society sells. It never got my pulse racing. But your note on the 2005 puts it back on my radar.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I poached every of ‘12 in Orlando when it went on sale for $23.99 ....incredible value, plenty of old school characteristics and healthy ripe fruits, I must say, the leather notes really sucked me in...yum

So yes, it’s still around...and I’m currently tracking the ‘05 on winebid :D
AKR

Post by AKR »

I didn't find leather in the 05, but maybe our noses are attuned to different notes. Believe 2012 is the last year it was bottled on its own, assuming Leve's site is correct.

Definitely buy what you can find of this if you've enjoyed this in the past....