Hart Davis Hart shipping

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Hart Davis Hart shipping

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

HDH wants to charge me $168 to ship two cases of wine to Colorado, standard ground UPS. When I observed in my usual understated manner that the price seemed a tad high, I got a song and dance about rates varying, etc., and an offer of a $20 credit against the shipping cost.

Anybody know what's up with this? I'm shipping from elsewhere in the midwest for $32.50 a case. Anybody have shipping experience with HDH they could share with me? Thanks.
Blanquito

Re: Hart Davis Hart shipping

Post by Blanquito »

Their shipping has gotten nutty at HDH. For a long while, they’ve told us they can’t even ship to Colorado anymore. But we found a work around by having a bunch of wine consolidated into a pallet and shipped direct to a wine storage company in Denver. Ended up like $5 a case to do this.

You could ask about this sort of option? I have buddies at both Wine Storage of Denver and Corkscrews, who could receive the wine on your behalf.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Thanks, Patrick. I'll ask about this.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I used to buy quite a bit from HDH. Then they moved toward auction over retail. Then shipping costs grew exponentially. I’m out. Prolly have not bought a thing from them in over 2 years.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The only downside to consolidating was we had wait until a quorum of cases was reached, but they might have plans underway already for a pallet and truck to Denver; I got the impression they arranged this trip semi regularly.
AKR

Post by AKR »

OrlandoRobert wrote:I used to buy quite a bit from HDH. Then they moved toward auction over retail. Then shipping costs grew exponentially. I’m out. Prolly have not bought a thing from them in over 2 years.
I'm the same, except for the 'quite a bit' part. Used to be a case or two a year, but for maybe 10-20 years. I also started having low level glitches, when this had been a retailer with - at one point - a zero problem rate. I'm not referring to corked bottles or anything like that. Just things mislabeled etc.

Other than garagiste, I don't buy out of state any more. Although Chambers St. is definitely worth getting stuff shipped from.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I find HDH to be a reliable source for older bottles in good condition. I travel to Chicago twice a year and pick up in person, but never more than 6-8 bottles at a time.