What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Comte Flaneur

Re: What are we drinking in the booster boon?

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ninety-six La Mission

Such a compelling wine with plenty of scorched earth rocky volcanic notes

Just checking back in on this because it came in #3 in our 1996 tasting recently after 96 Lafite and Margaux

Because we are approaching the Christmas holiday season plenty of other treats in the last few days:

85 DP - 96
96 DP - 93
93 Leroy Vosne-Romanee Beaux-Monts - 98 - strong-willed more than Delphic, brilliant
83 Clape Cornas - 94 - shy nose good palate
85 Chave Hermitage - 94 - brilliant but bret level border obtrusive
86 Pichon Lalande - 94 - very solid in the palate, real substance
95 Pichon Lalande - 95 - brilliant showing, outpointed the 86
99 Cheval Blanc - 94 - class

13 Marc Colin Montrachet - 97 - slow to unfurl, magnificent
11 PYCM Corton-Charlemagne - 96 - brilliant contest still young

01 Grivot Echezeaux - 97 - my wine of our Christmas lunch yesterday
06 Rossignol-Trapet - 95 - taut backward, brilliant, all there
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Tom In DC wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:38 pm '82 Ormes de Pez is not a bellweather of whether the vintage is in decline. Echoes of AlexR in 2002????
Especially not with a bottle like this one. The cork started turning when the corkscrew was only half an inch in. After extraction the cork showed mold all around a half inch down from the top.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Tom In DC wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:38 pm '82 Ormes de Pez is not a bellweather of whether the vintage is in decline. Echoes of AlexR in 2002????
Is that where that started?
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

From my memory (as a father of a 3 month old daughter), a couple of weeks ago: 2018 Lynch Moussas vs GPD. First evening both wines were big and not showing much at all. I was not very impressed. Day 2, both wines were opening up. Lynch a bit lighter not as concentrated, with some menthol notes that might be a telltale sign of this wine. GDP starting to show a good broad dense Pauillac fruit flavor. Both wines are going to be very nice in say 5-10 years. I ended up liking the GDP and my wife the Lynch M. Bought 2 GDP for the cellar.
Trying to stay active with BWE but not so easy, having smiles from my Freyja taking up most of my "free" time

Best, Dan
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Dandersson wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:40 am
Trying to stay active with BWE but not so easy, having smiles from my Freyja taking up most of my "free" time

Best, Dan
I can hardly believe we don't rate in comparison. :oops: :lol:

I bought some of the 2014 GPD, which to me has been quite open all along.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Racer Chris wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:15 am
Dandersson wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:40 am

Best, Dan
I can hardly believe we don't rate in comparison. :oops: :lol:

I bought some of the 2014 GPD, which to me has been quite open all along.
:D :) :lol:
It seems to me that GPD and Lynch M are really good QPR, especially for me with my love for Pauillac. This was my first experience with these wines. I don't see a lot of tasting notes here regarding these wines. Have one of each of the 2016 also, will wait a couple of years for those.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:03 pm Ninety-six La Mission

Just checking back in on this because it came in #3 in our 1996 tasting recently after 96 Lafite and Margaux

Because we are approaching the Christmas holiday season plenty of other treats in the last few days:

85 DP - 96
96 DP - 93
93 Leroy Vosne-Romanee Beaux-Monts - 98 - strong-willed more than Delphic, brilliant

:o

What a list that would fit my preferences perfectly, and first tn about a Leroy on a long time...

Ian, what aoc the Rossignol-Trapet?

Here, everybody seems crazy about PYCM whit Bourgogne, at any level. Never had one as they sold at the speed of light...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2018 Stag Leap Cabernet Sauvignon : believe it or not, excellent. The nose is very rich and Napa-esque, but mouth is more strict while being fruity and complex. Long time i did not had a strong Cabernet from Napa like that one, at that nice price.

2016 Michel Magnien Gevrey Chambertin VV seuvrées: complex, medium body, hard to define, mixtureof little red berries, soil and vine wood. Some leftover i will try back tonight.

2018 Chateau Ferrandes white: Graves. Very fine, but you have let it breathe for 60 min. After opening, almost nothing there. 60 min = honey, white flowers, starfruit, green melon, iodine, minerals, shells. Mouth has enough power and complexity to make that very special. I guess this is what Sauternes producers are aiming at for their dry white.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

I had Honig Cab Sauv yesterday, not impressed. Not worth half of the price I paid.
Nic, have you had 2017 of Stag Leap? I have one awaiting me.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nicklasss wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:40 pm
Comte Flaneur wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:03 pm Ninety-six La Mission

85 DP - 96
96 DP - 93

:o

What a list that would fit my preferences perfectly, and first tn about a Leroy on a long time...

Ian, what aoc the Rossignol-Trapet?

Here, everybody seems crazy about PYCM whit Bourgogne, at any level. Never had one as they sold at the speed of light...
Apologies Nic it was the Rossignol-Trapet Chambertin

When you come to London I will open a 2011 PYCM Corton Charlie for you, among other delights, so you can see what all the fuss is about.

Btw the 96 Mission was only 13% abv - just goes to show, doesn’t it?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nicklasss wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:48 pm 2018 Stag Leap Cabernet Sauvignon : believe it or not, excellent. The nose is very rich and Napa-esque, but mouth is more strict while being fruity and complex. Long time i did not had a strong Cabernet from Napa like that one, at that nice price.

2016 Michel Magnien Gevrey Chambertin VV seuvrées: complex, medium body, hard to define, mixtureof little red berries, soil and vine wood. Some leftover i will try back tonight.

2018 Chateau Ferrandes white: Graves. Very fine, but you have let it breathe for 60 min. After opening, almost nothing there. 60 min = honey, white flowers, starfruit, green melon, iodine, minerals, shells. Mouth has enough power and complexity to make that very special. I guess this is what Sauternes producers are aiming at for their dry white.
Finished the Michel Magnien tonight, after being opened 2 days. Clearly excellent Friday, even better tonight. More blackfruits, humus, refined spices. Still having minerals. Nice.

I also bought some 1er Cru Les Chaffots Morey. Looking forward to it.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Racer Chris wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:44 pm Right now I'm sipping on 1989 Haut Marbuzet from a half bottle in one decanter,
and in the other decanter, a 1982 Ormes de Pez, from a 750 with shoulder fill and evidence of seepage under the capsule.
Both wines came out of the bottle kinda brown in color.
The Haut Marbuzet had a slight sherry character which blew off quickly.
The Ormes is very funky on the nose and lots of tobacco on the palate, but it hasn't gone south yet.
The Haut Marbuzet went well with a roast beef grinder I bought.
I recanted the Ormes and took it home with only a glass and a half missing from the bottle. After just a few sips Karl had suggested that he wouldn't be able to drink that wine. So I left the bottle in my refrigerator overnight and revisited it Sunday with the remainder of my RB sandwich. Drinking it slightly chilled didn't hurt it any, and I was able to savor a couple glasses before pouring the rest down the drain.
I'm guessing it would have been right up Orlando Robert's alley. Mushroomy earthy nose, the color of meat juice, vegetal - almost feral on the palate. It was wine, and not entirely unlike other bottles of '82 Ormes that I've had, but time had not done it any favors and it was at the extreme edge of enjoyment for me.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Nicklasss wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:20 am
More blackfruits, hummus, refined spices.
Hummus, or humus? It matters.
I prefer not to taste humus in my hummus. :D
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Racer Chris wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:04 pm
Nicklasss wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:20 am
More blackfruits, hummus, refined spices.
Hummus, or humus? It matters.
I prefer not to taste humus in my hummus. :D
You're right Racer. Just one M.
stefan

Post by stefan »

With a rack of lamb we drank 1989 Meyney and 1989 La Lagune. The Meyney was all tertiary--tobacco soaked in charcoal infused roasted blackberries. Very nice if you like old wines. The La Lagune was 10 years younger; mature red fruits, lenthy tannins, and a hint of Margauxberries in the nose. This was very lucky as most 1989 La Lagunes one finds at auctions are so cooked that the juice is fit only for pouring down the drain, so I strongly recommend not bidding on bottles.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah thanks for the warning, Bill, I was thinking of bidding on some '89 La Lagune until you told me about that provenance problem with the vintage. Thanks for warning me off.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

stefan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:44 pm With a rack of lamb we drank 1989 Meyney and 1989 La Lagune. The Meyney was all tertiary--tobacco soaked in charcoal infused roasted blackberries. Very nice if you like old wines. The La Lagune was 10 years younger; mature red fruits, lenthy tannins, and a hint of Margauxberries in the nose. This was very lucky as most 1989 La Lagunes one finds at auctions are so cooked that the juice is fit only for pouring down the drain, so I strongly recommend not bidding on bottles.
I really enjoyed my bottle of 1990 La Lagune. Went out and snagged 5 more. Hopefully they're not as cooked of swill as most of your bottles that no one should bid on. Also have a 1990 Meyney that just came in.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think you should sell those five remaining bottles of 1990 La Lagune to Stefan at a discount, JoelD, and cut your losses.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:36 pm Ah thanks for the warning, Bill, I was thinking of bidding on some '89 La Lagune until you told me about that provenance problem with the vintage. Thanks for warning me off.
Yeah, I believe the entire US allotment of the 89 Lagune was hideously cooked in transit.

Actually, if memory serves, I think this is true for the ‘61-‘96 vintages of Lagune too.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes all US stock of pre-1995 La Lagune was on that ship that went down with the 1995 Bordeaux vintage <rolls eyes>.
Whatever happened to that ship anyway?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:38 am Yes all US stock of pre-1995 La Lagune was on that ship that went down with the 1995 Bordeaux vintage <rolls eyes>.
Whatever happened to that ship anyway?
Where’s the GIF of Stefan in SCUBA swimming down to a sunken wreck when you need one? Arv?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

3rd Growth Salvage Operation. Our motto is, Any Lagune in here?
Attachments
C669BD00-55FB-4243-8525-133D5CDE7BC9.jpeg
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Lagune at the bottom of a lagoon?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Last night, we drank this. 2016 Galius St Emilion GC (14% ABV)
Galius.jpg
The wine got rave reviews on Decanter - it did well in their wine awards, and received 97 points.
Now, I have often expressed some disbelief and a little bewilderment at high scores for what are inexpensive wines (this cost about SGD34 or about USD24) but my curiosity got the better of me.

I decanted it for an hour of so before consumption. Quite good dark red colour with slightly fluid rim.
Nose initially was shy and a little flat. Some dusty oak and red fruit, but not really much of anything.
When first tasted, I thought it was more akin to a satellite wine than a St Emilion GC (though GC there does not mean much).
So when left to breathe, it did taste better but seriously, how anyone could give it 97 points and top awards is beyond any rational thought.
I suppose if 2016 Wynns Coonawarra Cab Sav (Black label) can get 99 points, maybe it figures.

Overall, it shows typical left bank Merlot fruit - a bit plummy, some dark cherry and redcurrant, a touch of dusty older oak, and medium acidity and intensity. Tannins are light to medium. It is a pleasant little wine that I think has no claims to greatness or long ageing. It is probably at its best now or in the next few years. It is light to medium bodied without a lot of structure. Wendy also thought that the alcohol was a bit intrusive - I think 14% is pushing it somewhat, but the fruit at least wasn't porty or tarry.

I imagine that I'd give it a "good" rating which is 2-2.5 stars on my own scale. It is a modern style with no green characters, reasonable balance though not a lot of interest.

So Wendy asks me would I buy it again?
Well, I think it is worth no more than USD20 thus I am not in any hurry to buy more and I'd prefer the 2016 Wynns CS at a slightly higher price.
So once again, I wonder why wines like this win awards and get high points.

cheers
Mark
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

1A1048CB-82F6-4951-82B9-F48BB681F4CA.jpeg
Gorgeous old Cordier funky komadina.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:38 am 1A1048CB-82F6-4951-82B9-F48BB681F4CA.jpeg

Gorgeous old Cordier funky komadina.
I’m having a Pavlovian response just looking at that photo. My browser needs a scratch-and-sniff plug-in.
jal

Post by jal »

After a very tiring flight back from Israel, we went out to the local branch of Capital Grille for their excellent seafood platter (and nothing else).
Byo'ed two White Burgundies:
2018 Michel Niellon Chassagne Montrachet Les Vergers 1er Cru is golden yellow, very very tight with a reductive note of flint I usually am not crazy about. It takes almost all evening to open up and by the end was great, with minerals and citrus and a searing acidity. We should have decanted that. 91 but with lots of potential
2018 Bessin Chablis Valmur Grand Cru is much more ready to play, pale yellow, fine texture, strangely, it is more expansive than the Chassagne but the fruit is nice and complements the shellfish better. Good finish 93
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Welcome back Jacques and Jill!
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

1st of 4 bottles of 2006 Ch Lynch Bages. What a weird experience. After opening and decanting for an hour it opened up nicely with a nose of tapenade and tar. Dark fruited with moderate tannins and all in balance. I would give it 92 pts. Sadly, at the two hour mark it flipped. It became astringent with fruit totally gone and tannins, dominating, just a mess. Barely 85 at the end.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

2000 Bel Air Marquis d'Aligre - classic Bordeaux, just as advertised. A reminder of favorites from the ‘70s and ‘80s. I could drink this all day.

Thanks for hooking me up, OrlBobby.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Steak'n' Rotie

Long in mouth. Super. Clearly a very serious 100% syrah Côte Côtie. I feel fine. But at the same time, i miss you BWE guys.

When you take a good sip of that wine, keep it in mouth for many seconds, you understand there are still very good thing in that World. Wat is that strong aromatic herb and black currants and strong mineral long final?

Still amazing 2 days later. Add peppermint, black olives and chocolate. Sensass!
Attachments
Young, superb mineral Syrah. Meaty, bitter ripe currant, tannic.
Young, superb mineral Syrah. Meaty, bitter ripe currant, tannic.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

1st of 4 bottles of 2006 Ch Lynch Bages. What a weird experience. After opening and decanting for an hour it opened up nicely with a nose of tapenade and tar. Dark fruited with moderate tannins and all in balance. I would give it 92 pts. Sadly, at the two hour mark it flipped. It became astringent with fruit totally gone and tannins, dominating, just a mess. Barely 85 at the end.
Sigh. Sadly, some question me when I make comments about the inadequacies of wines like Lynch Bages and GPL. Yet, over and over, we see notes like this. I have absolutely no agenda against Chateau Lynch Bages. If I thought it warranted second growth status -- or first growth even -- I would say so in a heartbeat. Likewise, the "underperforming its terroir" GPL, as Phil Bernstein at MacArthur's put it to me and Nicola, without prodding.... My position remains firm, as we approach the end of this difficult year: Out of sympathy and friendship for Ian and others here, I will continue to rank Lynch Bages at the top of fifth growth status. (If I took emotion out of the equation, it would rank lower.). As for GPL -- notwithstanding the lovely 2014 tasted recently by RC and Jckba, and another vintage or two over the past forty years -- it barely merits cru bourgeois, supermarket shelf status.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Every GPL I've had beats every Cru Bourgeois I've had from the same vintage. The only thing (of a lower classification) that might beat it sometimes for me is a second wine of a second growth.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Chateau Lafite last night

Remarkably approachable for a young Lafite, it is also uncharacteristically lush and full-bodied, with 13.6% abv which may be the highest ever for Lafite. It is a gorgeous satin-textured wine, with black and red fruits, wet stones and minerals, ultra fine tannins and the luxurious oak is not fully integrated yet. It reminded me a bit of the otherworldly Mouton 2009. If I had a case of this - I don’t! - I would wait until 2030 to check in on the next one. ****(*) 97-99

Slightly more than medium-bodied and 12.5% abv, it has an enticing rich ripe entry of red fruits, but it is on the palate that it delivers an absolute masterclass, similar to other vintages of Lafite we compared between 1976 and 1990 a few years ago. The 1989 was not in that line up, but it has trademark cigar box, tobacco, graphite and truffly notes, but it is the way they unfurl, with such mesmerising poise and refinement that takes your breath away and makes Lafite so special and first among equals among the other first growths. It is interesting how this gets mixed reviews on CT and from NM. This was a bottle out of the case that destroyed the field in a 1989 BWE Bordeaux horizontal in NYC in 2009, which included all the top left bank wines including Haut-Brion and La Mission. ***** (99)
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Last night, a 1990 Canon-la-Gaffelière… Minty, cooling bouquet, plush layered attack of plums and tar, good grip and tang. Fresh, even zippy, but also rich and dark, showing that wine reduction/concentrate I often get in 1990 claret. Tasty, gulpable, ready to rock’n’roll. 91-92 pts
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2012 Edmunds St John Rock and Gravel.
Tasty, sweet and bright, spicy, a delight.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Where are the iodine and salty notes? Buried under the 2018 vintage, with green apples, pineapple, candy and lime. Missing a bit of acidity, but still very good.

Yes, finally, i drink way more Loire wines than i can imagine.
Attachments
The (electric?) Power of Muscadet
The (electric?) Power of Muscadet
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Later on, corn, red cherries, cinnamon, wood, light toffey, smooth. Well made, dangerous, poisonous.

Far away from Bordeaux, but no omicron for me in the coming days!
Attachments
I'm going off the track tonight. Feel like i need it.
I'm going off the track tonight. Feel like i need it.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Good alicante bouschet wine from Spain. Well done, great drinkability, cherries, red berries, light meat, a little black pepper on the finish. Medium body, fine tannins, and only 13% alcohol. Simple, efficient, very good.
Attachments
Well, A very nice wine, ligther style grenache, no oak, simply good.
Well, A very nice wine, ligther style grenache, no oak, simply good.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2001 Malartic Lagraviere Blanc
Mature, rich, glorious.