What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

AKR

Re: What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Post by AKR »

Ianjaig wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:05 pm 2020 Kumeu River Chardonnay Rays Road:
I don't drink a lot of New Zealand wines but was tempted to try this after its big brother (the 2020 "Mates") took out some recent awards.
Enjoyed this. Citrus, lime and green apple. Subtle and refined, not overly buttery at all. Very enjoyable and worth cellaring to see how it develops. Not sure if this is available much overseas, but I would recommend giving it a go.
I had Kumeu's basic 'village' bottling last summer and thought it was ok. I listened to a podcast from the owner/producer/winemaker and it was informative. They seem to put a lot of TLC into their output.

Of NZ chardonnays, although Craggy Range might be better known for SB, their 'Kidnappers Vyd' is quite good and I would recommend that to try.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Claudius2 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:49 pm Last night drank 2017 Muga Rioja Riserva.
It is not nearly as good as the Prada Enea but a really well made Rioja with good structure and a tightness that I’d normally associate with Bordeaux rather than Spain. The oak is mainly French and there is lots of good dark fruits, cedar, smoky oak and good acid and tannins. The fruit tends to hide the firm tannins and after sipping through the bottle we were both thirsty and felt the tannins for some time.

The fruit is fresh and intense and this is a very good value - the Prada Enea was about 2.5 times the price when I last bought it. I bought 6 more so will leave the rest for a few years to tame the tannins.

Cheers
Mark
Love this producer!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, I agree. This thread has been a terrible idea. Why would we want to hide all of our tasting notes into one thread. I think it stunts participation on the site. I always post my notes separately.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I like having this thread for telegraphic tasting notes. Detailed notes are better posted separately IMO.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Drinking a 1997 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Volcanic Hill right now.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Racer Chris wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:49 pm Drinking a 1997 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Volcanic Hill right now.
wow that's a rarity
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Even more rare than this bottle, yesterday we drank a 1980 Diamond Creek CS Red Rock Terrace. :)
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

2011 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett

Peach and lime. Couldn't detect any kerosene notes and I thought it lacked a bit of acidity. Much as I love aged German Riesling, I preferred this more in its youth.
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

Two Bordeaux recently at a dinner
1982 Vieux Chateaux Certan. Took a while to open up but showed a nose like my Potting Shed. Some celery and smoke. A bit past prime
1988 Lafaurie Peyraguey. A long time favorite Sauternes of mine. Honeyed sweetness. Beautifii up wine.
Brian Pinci
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Last night drank a Beaune (village wine), being 2017 Nuiton Beaunoy.
Somehow Wendy seemed to like it more than me. I thought it was very ordinary and tasted more like a standard Bourgogne, with its rather dull appearance, tobacco dominated nose, and rather boring palate, showing little fruit and too much stemmy, tobacco and white pepper characters. It tasted more like a basic wine from NZ or Southern Victoria to me, with rather coarse, peppery tannins, firm acid and little fruit or any kind.

Whilst I don't totally disregard village Burgundy, I will disregard this producer in future. Have previously tried one white from this co-op and it was pretty unbalanced and rather ordinary. Oh well.

cheers
Mark
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Tonite drinking a Rioja - 2017 Vina Pomal Ecologico.
Not generally taken by organic wines with a few exceptions but this is pretty good. Lots of dark fruit, some spice and pepper, a touch of sweetness and good acid and tannins. It was rather sweet initially but has opened up well. A good wine at a fair price though no pretentions of greatness.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight with grilled lamb chops, mashed potatoes with a mushroom gravy, and boiled carrots we drank

2002 Pichon Baron. This was (allegedly; there are lawyers here) loot from the infamous BWE heist of MacArthur's. This is a beautifully crafted old style Pauillac; none of that modern nonsense caused by too much sun, too late picking, and Rolland. Precise, with black currents, cassis, a touch of asphalt, and tobacco lingering in the background. No velvet and certainly no silk in this wine. Drink now and until climate change floods the estate.

There are a couple of places that claim to have this wine at around $120, which is a bargain in today's market. 93+
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We paid $39 for the Purple Baron at that MacArthur’s heist. A kind and benevolent dictator advised purchase of the 2002 left bank vintage after He Who Shall Remain Nameless blew it post 9/11. The wines from that vintage have stood the test of time, now at age 20. I think I have one bottle left, a 2002 Cos, from that heist. The wines have been brilliantly classic.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Wow. I haven't touched anything from that heist. Sitting pretty on the mixed case of those 2002s...
stefan

Post by stefan »

You will be justly rewarded for your patience, CV.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Well done Prof. Just adore the 2002 Baron. Probably my favourite 2002. It has been drinking well for a decade. It really stood out in a vertical hosted by Christian Seely in London exactly ten years ago. Like a moron I only bought six then, rather than by the case load, so only have one lone bottle left, and now am blighted by the ‘lone bottle syndrome’. When to drink it, a terrible conundrum.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A 2019 La Crema Sonoma Cast Pinot Noir tonight. Not bad. Nose of sweet red berries with strawberries in vanilla cream. Something like sweet vegetals. Made to please, this is sure. Light sweet hickory smoke. Mouth is all about light infused sweet vanilla oak in a nice cherry and red berries fruit base, flavors. No structure or tannins, some length, sweet spices. Not fresh but not heavy. Very good custom product. Of course, maybe a bit easy, but still ok. Tn: 88.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight with pan seared red snapper and oven baked French fries we are drinking 2007 Trimbach Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile. We rarely drink Riesling, but when we do, this is our "go to" one. While the '07 FE will be more complex in five years, it is good for drinking now. It has a light petrol infused fresh flower nose, the acid is not irritating, and the fruit is sticky.

Perhaps we should drink Riesling more often.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Currently sipping 2017 Oakridge Yarra Valley Cab Sav.
An Estate wine but not single vineyard.
Medium bodied with nose of aged oak, red and black fruits, a touch of capsicum and spice.
Pretty good palate with a floral character. Medium body, tannins and intensity, 2017 was a cooler vintage with well balanced wines though less weight and intensity than usual.

Typically Australian though lighter body than usual. Quite enjoyable with home made pizza (with everything incl bacon and prosciutto).
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight I had veal marsala and Lucie ate cannelloni. We drank 2008 La Gomerie. This is highly concentrated, fruity, and has solid tannins that are not yet resolved. Most of the action is up front. The wine leans toward the modern style, but is not overblown IMO. The alcohol level is listed as 14%.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
St Emilion tonight.
Sipping Ch Dassault 2013.
Nice colour, dark red with a touch of mahogany at the rim.
Nose shows dusty oak, red and dark fruits and some stemmy, herbal characters.
Palate is light to medium bodied with some plummy fruit, grainy tannins and cedar oak.
There is a bit too much acid and the fruit is slightly underripe.
It is quite good and shows the character of the vintage - not a good Bordeaux vintage and arguably the least good of the decade.
Yet it isn’t a disaster and does offer reasonable fruit but not a wine I’d buy again.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

More 2020 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Sainte Claire. Incredible qpr.

2020 Bonny Doon Cigare Blanc. Thought that was really good, very Rhodanian. Went very well with chicken cook on the gas bbq.

2018 Mission Hill Chardonnay Reserve. Well made, balanced, very nice Chardonnay made in British Columbia.
AKR

Post by AKR »

stefan wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:56 am Tonight I had veal marsala and Lucie ate cannelloni. We drank 2008 La Gomerie. This is highly concentrated, fruity, and has solid tannins that are not yet resolved. Most of the action is up front. The wine leans toward the modern style, but is not overblown IMO. The alcohol level is listed as 14%.
Wow. That's a cuvee one doesn't see or hear about much.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Over two nights I drank 2012 Giscours. Lucie joined me for the second night.

Giscours has a special attraction for us because we drank many bottles in the 1970s and 1980s. I think that up until 1982 Giscours was the third best Margaux. Then there was a huge fall off and I quit buying it. In recent years Giscours has gotten good press, so I bought a few bottles, but this is the first time we drank one at a dinner at home. In some ways, the 2012 is fine. The balance is OK and it has a good flavor base. OTOH, there is no hint that this is a Margaux. It is very generic, and, for my taste, no better than many reliable Cru Bourgeois from more modest appellations. Perhaps it will improve with time, but in the olden days Giscours was excellent at age ten.
un bureaucrate

Post by un bureaucrate »

My first plunge in this thread… I wrote no formal notes, but thought I’d record a few impressions anyway.

Over the weekend and then some, with friends I visited a few states over, all in Conterno Sensory glasses:

2005 Calon Segur — from the first day. Unfortunately, only decanted for 30 min, then drank over a couple of hours. Of course the last glass was the best, but it was a pleasure to “watch” this unfold.

2014 Montrose — From the second day. Decanted an hour, drank over dinner with penne vodka. Came across as subdued. Maybe not the best wine-food pairing? This one vanished fastest though, so maybe it was just me.

2016 Giscours — From later in the second day. Followed over two days. Not my first rodeo with this one, every bottle better than the last. Black fruit and violets stood out this time. Just lovely. Why haven’t I bought a case yet?

2017 Guigal Cote du Rhone rouge — From the third day. Picked up as a day-drinker, after reading this was the “house wine” of Clive Coates (besides wine, we share an affinity for cigarettes). Obviously not in the same league as the others, and the 14.5% abv made me apprehensive, but eminently “quaffable” nonetheless. I think this would have paired better with the penne vodka.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get around to a 2010 Leoville Barton, which I left behind for after my friends move later this month as a house-warming gift. Better than a vase or “Live Laugh Love” plaque.
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

2014 Lacoste borie (2nd label GPL)

Drank this over 2 nights. Absolutely banging - length, flavour, depth, pauilllac typicity. Would love to go back in time and triple up on these 14’s. Shame the 21’s are priced as they are - really sounded like a bwe type of vintage.

Tucking into a good Mornington Pinot now (Mooorooduc estate) to go with some confit duck. Happy days.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Ch Tour St Bonnet 2005:
Rustic, tannic, leather, old school - beautiful. The 3 hour decant helped. Last of my two bottles bought at auction. Wish I had more.
JimS

Post by JimS »

Cracked a 2014 Meyney I picked up at a local wine shop here on vacation in Denver. Hard to imagine a better QPR between both vintage and producer - one of those wines that every once in a while makes me wonder why I spend so much chasing some other labels. Anyway, I digress…

Absolutely fantastic, but time is still this wines friend. Wonderful nose, dark, brooding, and while holding a fair bit back also delivers a lot of pleasure today. Prolly 92-93 with definite upside as it still seems to be a bit closed in on itself
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JimS wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:41 am Cracked a 2014 Meyney I picked up at a local wine shop here on vacation in Denver. Hard to imagine a better QPR between both vintage and producer - one of those wines that every once in a while makes me wonder why I spend so much chasing some other labels. Anyway, I digress…

Absolutely fantastic, but time is still this wines friend. Wonderful nose, dark, brooding, and while holding a fair bit back also delivers a lot of pleasure today. Prolly 92-93 with definite upside as it still seems to be a bit closed in on itself
Nice note Jim, and you're right, the 2014 Meyney is very special and a super Saint-Estèphe for the price.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

2007 Ridge Geyserville - a pleasant enough wine but not as much kick as I usually get out of Ridge Geyserville. For one thing, only 58% Zinfandel and seemed it was past its best. Nothing really wrong with it but a bit tame. I think I would have been happier with a 2016 Cote du Rhône in the $20-25 price range.

Chris Bublitz
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

stefan wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:31 am Over two nights I drank 2012 Giscours. Lucie joined me for the second night.

Giscours has a special attraction for us because we drank many bottles in the 1970s and 1980s. I think that up until 1982 Giscours was the third best Margaux. Then there was a huge fall off and I quit buying it. In recent years Giscours has gotten good press, so I bought a few bottles, but this is the first time we drank one at a dinner at home. In some ways, the 2012 is fine. The balance is OK and it has a good flavor base. OTOH, there is no hint that this is a Margaux. It is very generic, and, for my taste, no better than many reliable Cru Bourgeois from more modest appellations. Perhaps it will improve with time, but in the olden days Giscours was excellent at age ten.
That is interesting stefan. I admire (modern) Giscours more than I love it. Modern Giscours can be clunky and slow evolving. No hint that it is Margaux? Perhaps this has something to do with Giscours being some way south of those Margaux estates renowned for their Margaux berries?

I remember when we visited Du Tertre in 2015 how inviting the 2012 was. I immediately bought a case because it was also very inexpensive. Has anyone tried the 2012 Du Tertre recently? I have been toying with the idea of releasing my case from storage.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The 2012 du Tertre was impressive and true when we drank it in 2015, but I have not tasted one since. Historically du Tertre matures early, years before Giscours. I wonder if that is the case now.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes we liked the 2012 du Tertre when we were there in 2015. Gerry is holding six bottles for me in his cellar. I gotta get those from you at some point this century Gerry.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

2010 Château Haut-Beychevelle Gloria (the same owners as St Pierre & Gloria I believe).

Still dense, thick and somewhat brooding. This is a big, tannic wine that may have benefited from more time in the cellar. Alas, my last bottle. Blackcurrants, and chocolate, earthy and meaty. Mocha on the nose. It mellowed with time - very cabernet dominant. Very nice, classical wine.
stefan

Post by stefan »

With prime rib we drank two wonderful and mature 1996 Pauillacs: Clerc Milon (93 pts) and Pichon Baron (96 pts). The balance and length of the Purple Baron were particularly impressive.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

stefan wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:39 pm With prime rib we drank two wonderful and mature 1996 Pauillacs: Clerc Milon (93 pts) and Pichon Baron (96 pts). The balance and length of the Purple Baron were particularly impressive.
Lovely. I need more Clerc Milon in my cellar. And that 96 Baron is beautiful. Definitely better than my experiences with the 96 Lalande.
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

2015 Malartic lagraviere.

First ML for me, really like it. Better second night.
Claret

Re: What are we drinking in the booster boon?

Post by Claret »

Claret wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:34 am 1994 Montrose, fully tertiary and will not improve. Good but not great at this stage.
My last bottle last week was much better.

Starts off full cedar with dry tannin. After about 1 hour in the decanter the mature fruit emerges. Fully tertiary and enjoyable old school Bordeaux. The tannins do not disappear, but do get smoother with a grilled NY Strip.

Drink now or over the next few years, will not improve.
Glenn
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

1988 Haut Marbuzet. Another excellent, fun bottle of wine from my friend's cellar.
He came by in his 4cyl 914 to show me some new things he did, and have me help with a throttle limit adjustment.
The bottle had been left in advance - so it wasn't shaken by the ride.
This wine features a prominent wood note, rather harmonious with the subdued leather, cherry and tobacco/ash flavors from the fruit. Medium plus acidity helped carry the lengthy finish.
I'm just finishing the last glass at home now and it seems to have given it's best already, 4 hours after decanting.

edited to add: for those of you who know something about old Porsches, Karl's 914-4 sports a 2.5L engine putting out at least 200 hp (more than double the original 4 cyl engine).
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Chris
Funny my last bike - have not ridden for some years past unfortunately - had a claimed 200bhp and made 186bhp on a rather conservative dyno. Kawasaki ZX1000R. Surprised a 2.5litre Porsche only made 100bhp or so in original form.

This weekend I’ve drunk a few wines pulled out of storage after finding room for my 2019 Bordeaux.

2014 Justin Girardin Santenay 1er Cru Beauregard.
Good dark red core though fluid rim. Looks like it’s light bodied but nose was quite quite pretty with strawberry, red currant and smoky oak nose. There is some minerality evident meshed to sweet fruit. Palate is light to medium bodied - fruitier than the colour suggests - with red fruit
, medium acidity, a touch of savoury characters and firm French oak. The fruit is a bit simple though quite quite pleasant. The downside is rather peppery tannins that made me think of some southern Victorian Pinots. Happy to drink without pretentious of greatness

2011 Spy Valley Marlborough Pinot Noir
I did not like this much. Colour was medium red and a bit tawny at the rim. Nose was rather odd and the fruit is overtly sweet though with some stalkiness as well. Gives a rather sweet/sour flavour. The palate comes across as disjoint and quite frankly, unbalanced and a bit odd. Wendy thought I was being a bit hard but this wine was more expensive than the Santenay and depending on my mood I’d varyingly rate it as Do Not Put in Mouth (DNPIM) or merely okay.

In all my years I have never sipped a NZ wine that really wowed me. I’ve have a handful of good Pinots mainly from Martinborough but even some very expensive (for NZ that is, not DRC priced) that were just ordinary wine despite lots of oak and attention.

I’m not sure why I ever bought a 12 bottle case of the Spy Valley but I’ll probably send the reminding 11 bottles to auction.

Cheers
Mark