What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Tom In DC

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by Tom In DC »

With a reverse-sear tri-tip roast, we tried the first half of a bottle of 2002 Branaire-Ducru. A very 2002, very JimHow kind of wine. Plenty of fruit on the nose and palate but a bit lean in the finish. I'll try another one soon before I decide between zero or one blanquito.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Marjorie had two Zoom video happy hours on Friday - she drank 2007 Maximun Grunhauser Abtsberger Spatlese and 2012 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch. I had a taste of each, both very good German Riesling.

Just having one glass of wine most nights so we’ve been going through mostly 375s as all of the following were. We have enjoyed 2012 La Fleur de Bouard, 2016 Garraud (another nice Lalande de Pomerol), 2016 Grand Veneur Chateauneuf du Pape Le Miocene and NV Deutz Rose Champagne. Limit to what we have in 375.

Chris Bublitz
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You can wash leafy greens in mildly soapy water, rinse the hell out of them, and dry them. It’s just a pain. In fact, that’s what some recommended prior to C-19 in order to reduce the risk of E. coil contamination. "Triple-washed" gets rid of dirt and grit but won’t necessarily reduce bacterial counts.

In any case, we gave in this time and ordered fresh lettuce. We’ll let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Hey Chris good to hear from you. Hope this hasn’t put a dent in your treatment plan. Have you tried Repour for bottles you'll drink over a few days, a glass or two at a time?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Drinking mostly whites lately. Last night, the 2018 La Segreta Il Bianco from Planeta was nice and simple, white peaches, citrus, almonds. Very good with the pasta primavera.

Tonight, it will be a 2018 Domaine de la Ragotière Chardonnay, Vin de Pays de Loire. With a sime tuna salad. Looking forward to have a nice surpride if possible.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Glad you are partaking in vino, Chris, hope you are back up to full speed soon!
brodway

Post by brodway »

Arv

Had my last bottle of the 2001 Donjon a few weeks back. It was still singing...can you believe i paid no more than $30 a bottle for those...Who ever said Parker elevated the price of Rhone wines wasn't kidding...Still see Usseglio for a very reasonable entry price
jal

Post by jal »

Drinking a 2016 Jean Louis Chavy Puligny Montrachet Les Perrieres. Good mouthfeel, but kind of weak mid and structure. Seductive and tasty enough but for the $95 it cost and this being a 1er Cru, it really should be better.

It's been 85f in Sarasota every day. Difficult to drink anything but whites and roses.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Peggy asked for a cup of an inexpensive white to bake some chicken breasts so I fishe a 2012 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Kabinett Riesling. Crisp, light, fresh, a bit of sweetness, well-balanced, very good and a nice match.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Not drinking wine every night for sure and sharing a 375 with Marjorie means about 6 ounces which I tolerate pretty well. Partial bottles of German Rieslings (as well as some other whites and most roses) can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week without much effect on the quality. Don’t use any special methods of preserving opened bottles.

Chris Bublitz
stefan

Post by stefan »

We are having dinner* with my sister and brother in law tonight. I opened 1998 Beausejour and 2000 La Lagune for the occasion.

*via zoom, of course
brodway

Post by brodway »

Stefan...

So they zoomed into your glass with their lens and you had a liter and a half of Bordeaux in your blood stream?
jckba

Post by jckba »

2006 Gaja Rennina BdM and it was seriously good
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

OrlandoRobert wrote:Stefan - It’s excellent, loved the meaty quality that vintage possesses.

David - Reach out to Paul Gordon, the owner. He’s on WB.com, check out the Berserker Relief Aide page, worth a purchase. I’ve been buying his syrah since the inaugural release and they are getting better and better, especially since he turned to neutral oak. Personally I think this is the best syrah made in Cali. A very high elevation vineyard, hence the name, Alturas. It even gets snow. Has a Cornas-power to it.
Thanks for the tip. I connected with Paul and grabbed a 3 + 3 of the 2018 Alturas and Elevacion Syrah.
My first purchase in 2020!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Excellent.

I cannot imagine you won’t like, or love, these. If not, send them down to me and I’ll buy them back from you.

How is that for a money back offer!?! :D
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think these will be in my wheelhouse. Haven't had a dud recommendation from you yet.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had a very pleasant bottle of Gruner from Alzinger last night, got a dry Alsatian Riesling from Weinbach on deck for this evening.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie is making a Moroccan lamb stew. It is challenging to pair a wine with this dish. I decided to try a Usseglio CdP. We'll see.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Weinbach, one of my favorite producer. Went there in 2004 with MC and had very good time with the Faller.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:Lucie is making a Moroccan lamb stew. It is challenging to pair a wine with this dish. I decided to try a Usseglio CdP. We'll see.
Almost sounds like something for an Amarone.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Hmm. You might be right, Patrick. But the CdP is open and I do not think I have an Amarone. Lucie likes them, so I should keep some around, but I never think about Amarone when I am shopping.

Lucie just dished up our stew over Israeli cous-cous and a side of broccoli. I poured our 2011 Raymond Usseglio & Fils Chateauneuf du Pape. The lamb stew contains cinnamon, orange juice, and dates. The CdP is pretty good with it. Lucie thinks an Amarone would be too much for the stew; I agree. The grass fed lamb actually tastes like lamb. I'll post a (probably upside down) picture in a minute. The Usseglio is about as good as you can expect for a cheap CdP.

Lucie's thought of the day: "If you have a glass of wine in your hand you cannot touch your face".
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:Lucie's thought of the day: "If you have a glass of wine in your hand you cannot touch your face".
Genius. Someone should get the CDC on the horn and have them update their guidelines and recommendations.
stefan

Post by stefan »

How do you post a picture from a computer? I dragged and dropped, but this gives only the local path file.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I think the better solution is to have two glasses of wine so you absolutely cannot touch your face.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

How do you post a picture from a computer? I dragged and dropped, but this gives only the local path file.
It is quite complicated.
You have to follow the following steps in order:

1. Take picture with your iPhone.
2. Before you send the picture to your email you have to "edit" it by rotating it completely around and upright again. If you don't do this you will get the mistake that jckba keeps making, which is that your pictures will come out sideways.*
3. Send picture to your email.
4. From email download the picture to your computer.
5. Go to BWE thread. Be sure to click "post reply," not just quick reply.
6. Click "upload attachment."
7. Click "choose file" and find the file in your computer.
8. Click "Add the file."
9. Then click "submit."

*The tricky part is step 2. If you do not edit and rotate your picture it will come out sideways like jckba's always do.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Jim.
UsseglioAndLamb.jpg
UsseglioAndLamb.jpg (112.34 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Perfect! Well done!
brodway

Post by brodway »

Stefan

What is Warren Buffet doing in your kitchen drinking a CDP?
brodway

Post by brodway »

Stefan....

please let Lucy know that i actually made a very similar lamb stew on Sunday (i too used Cinnamon but instead of dates and orange juice i used an Indian Korma spice, dry apricots and red wine to braise the lamb) but served it over Farro which is nutty and meaty textured grain and stands up really well to the sauce of the stew...I find the cous cous absorbs all of the sauce and tends to be a bit soggy. highly recommend you try this grain.

asked my wife to choose a bottle of wine while i was finish up the dish and she came back with a bottle of 2014 Duckhorn Merlot that was gifted to us for the holidays....actually the chocolaty notes of the merlot went quite well with the slight sweetness from the dry fruit

keep the great recipes and food shots coming
jckba

Post by jckba »

Diebolt Vallois BdB

And Jim, I think that when I take a picture horizontally it may come out sideways, otherwise I think they post the right way?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

No your pictures appear sideways to the rest of us JC.
They appear normal to you.
It's a bizarre phenomenon that I don't understand why it occurs.
All I know is that it gets fixed if you edit/rotate your picture completely before emailing it to yourself.
Every picture you take vertically appears on its side.
The only pictures that you take that appear properly are the ones that you take horizontally.
Don't ask me why. I think it's because iphone pictures are inended to be snapped horizontally?
Hell if I know.
Occasionally I forget to edit my picture before forwarding it on to my email and when I then post it here on BWE it appears on its side. Then I have to go back and edit it, resend it to my email, etc., before reposting it, at which time it appears properly vertical.
Perhaps others can chime in, on your screens, do JC's pictures usually appear on their sides?
jckba

Post by jckba »

I know what I will do, I’ll take a picture both ways horizontally and vertically and then will post each and we shall see. My exact steps are I then email said picture(s) from my gmail to my yahoo as that allows me to make the picture medium sized (though now I am realizing that after whatever iPhone update, I can now resize the picture when uploading), followed by re-saving it to my pictures where I then upload it from.
Last edited by jckba on Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just pulled up your Rioja thread, which has one horizontal pic and the rest vertical.
All the vertical pictures appear on their sides on my screen.
The horizontal picture is fine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What's extra crazy is if I view the Rioja thread from my iPhone, the pictures appear proper.
I'm curious to hear what others see in the Rioja thread.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ha ha, Emil; you remember that old and true story. I keep telling myself that Buffett is a young 89 year old.

I'll tell Lucie about how you made lamb stew.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:What's extra crazy is if I view the Rioja thread from my iPhone, the pictures appear proper.
I'm curious to hear what others see in the Rioja thread.
I think it has to do with metadata attached to the picture. Photos will show sideways depending on browser used to view it, UNLESS the photo is edited prior to posting. Then it should show properly on all platforms. Any trivial edit will do the trick.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

1989 Lynch Bages for our Zoom online offline with the Vinos, Tom and Gail, and Chris and Marjorie. This was a secondary market buy and it was kicking ass.
4C895FEC-BB24-41C8-B6CD-A24184F316D1.jpeg
4C895FEC-BB24-41C8-B6CD-A24184F316D1.jpeg (66.03 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I brought home Pad Thai last night and decided to open the white Bordeaux I had put in the refrigerator a couple days ago. I thought it went very well with the medium spiced entrée. My wife thought the meal was too spicy but she normally enjoys this wine. 2016 Cote Montpezat Cuvee Compostelle Blanc.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucy sends her thanks, Emil. We did not have apricots else she would have put some in. She said she'll try Farrow. The Israeli toasted cous cous does not absorb sauce very much and does not get soggy.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Stefan...

i see the Israeli cous cous is larger and more pearled in texture....so that would make sense