What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

DavidG

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by DavidG »

JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

A friend sent me that a few days ago. Pretty funny.

Have you seen the Ina Garten one making a cocktail? Short video at the bottom of the article.

https://people.com/food/watch-ina-garte ... -a-crisis/
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Funny stuff.

Danny emailed a video of a guy explaining the importance of "exercizing" during the crisis, I don't know how to post it here, Danny can you figure out how to post it, it had me laughing out loud.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had an 01 Ridge Geyserville last night. Just needed some lamb stew. Very good, but I suspect it was better/fresher 4-5 years ago:

Rich, roasted, jammy bouquet reminiscent of cocoa powder, cassis reduction, hot chocolate, black cherry compote, and minty-eucalyptic topnotes. There’s something a touch feral and foxy, with a meaty nuance and hints of stewed fruit to boot. The palate is fresher and has nice grip and acids to balance the rich, concentrated fruit. There’s a potent finish — which shows some spirit — that’s long, bright, and drying. Honestly, there’s almost an amarone quality too this, but with better brightness. I like it a lot but wouldn’t crave everyday... with a few hours of air, the bouquet takes on even more late harvest character, showing raisins, anise, and iodine, but the balancing, freshening mintiness amplifies at the same
Time. Intense, complex, rich.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I opened a bottle of the 2004 Geyserville this week. Both Paula and I thought it was fabulous. It had such lovely balance and, surprisingly for a Zin, it was almost Burgundy-like in its finesse. It may be the best Ridge Zin I've ever drunk.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JCNorthway wrote:I opened a bottle of the 2004 Geyserville this week. Both Paula and I thought it was fabulous. It had such lovely balance and, surprisingly for a Zin, it was almost Burgundy-like in its finesse. It may be the best Ridge Zin I've ever drunk.
Sounds great. I normally love Geyserville, it’s probably my favorite Ridge bottling overall. I really enjoyed the exotic, rich 2001, but I normally expect more refinement and restrain from this wine, like your 2004 showed.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

On day 2 of a bottle of 2015 Ch Siran. Has opened up very nicely and fights way above its weight. Its been too easy to reach for this since its' release. I'm down to 7 bottles and hope I can hang on to a bottle or two until the 10 year mark.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

We polished off the 1989 Lynch Bages tonight. Just killer.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Had one of my favorite bdm's tonight. Livio Sassetti brunello 2010. went great with Lamb meat sauce with spaghetti squash.

I am excited to try one of my bottles of 89 LB David, did you use a repour? i am still a little skeptical of these as i have heard they can give a metalic taste to the wine. especially with lighter bodied wines such as burg or barolo. Thoughts?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks
Singapore has been really hot and wet the last few weeks, so if the COVID-19 virus is killed by heat, it isn't working here.
It rains for a while then the water vapour rises as if it was a boiling pot. Closest thing to a sauna bath.
If I move from Singapore eventually, I will try and pick a temperate climate.

So I have not drunk any Bordeaux for a few weeks, been quaffing NV Champagne, red and white Burgundy and some Australian whites.
Since 2005 Burgundy was the rather controversial WOTY, I've attached a photo.
IMG_0335[1].JPG
IMG_0335[1].JPG (136.73 KiB) Viewed 4716 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm David, nothing like an '89 Lynch when it is on.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Joel, the Repour put the wine in suspended animation from 3/31 to 4/2. I've used it successfully out to 5 or 6 days and haven't noticed any metallic notes. I think Stefan has been happy with it too and maybe he'll chime in.

YMMV so I'd try it on some inexpensive current releases to see what you think before using it on an expensive bottle.

Repour is fairly inexpensive compared to the value of a well-aged Bordeaux. I don't use it on young wines I expect to drink up in 1-2 days. For me it is simpler than the Coravin for aged bottles with a lot of sediment.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Makes sense, and Ihave used with great results on a 1977 warre port.. however what I have heard from people in the industry is that its great for bigger wines, bordeaux, cabs, and anything younger... however it can have the negative effects with old barolos, burgundies (older and more fickle grapes with age) etc.. Coravin same problem on those old bottles..

Guess this pandemic will just have to end and we'll have to share some bottles!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yesterday I came across a half full 2012 Ridge Lytton Springs that I had Repoured and stuck into my warmest wine storage location some (maybe two) weeks ago. It was very fresh and went well with Lucy's Margherita pizza. I just opened a 2013 Ridge Geyserville to drink with the leftover pizza, which is heating up now, while Lucy is making us some masks. I ordered some on line that might arrive by May. We each have one N95 courtesy of our daughter and will hold them for a time that we hope will not come.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ve liked the 13 Geyserville from day 1.
stefan

Post by stefan »

It is very good now, Patrick. Decidedly better for my taste than the 2012 Lytton. Usually I prefer Geyserville to Lytton.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

stefan wrote:It is very good now, Patrick. Decidedly better for my taste than the 2012 Lytton. Usually I prefer Geyserville to Lytton.
Incidentally, I pulled a split of 13 Geyserville to drink in the next few days... Last time I had it, maybe be 3 yrs ago, I loved it...
Claret

Post by Claret »

2000 Rauzan Segla was stunning, my WOTY. It lit up all my tastebuds like 89 Beaucastel fireworks.
Glenn
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I'll be drinking a 2016 Produttori Barbaresco shortly during our weekly on-line poker game. I've heard very positive comments about it thus far and looking forward to it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've been finding myself playing a lot of on-line Solitaire these days, Gerry....
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

JimHow wrote:I've been finding myself playing a lot of on-line Solitaire these days, Gerry....

We've been playing the last couple of weeks using the Poker Stars app for home games. we try to play on Friday nights along with a wine theme,
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight Lucie and I are drinking 2003 Jadot Corton-Pougets (Heritiers) with chicken paillard with a tomato sauce, broccoli, leftover Israeli sous sous, and one of the breads Lucy baked today. This is good time to be drinking this '03 Corton. The fruit is still fresh, but some dried hay is also there, so it is like drinking an old Burgundy that has been infused with fresh fruit.

Year in and year at, the Jadot Corton-Pougets Domaine des Heritiers is about as close as you can come to finding a "best buy" in Grand Cru Burgundy.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Stefan: So are you saying my case of Cal Cab that went into FedEx from HDH 2 weeks ago will be OK when finally delivered? Seems because I used a business address, and the Bay Area shut down all but essential businesses 2 weeks ago, that FedEx decided they can't deliver those and has just left everything in their trucks parked under the California sunshine. FedEx said they might get to these in May, or whenever those businesses can reopen.

This week we've had an 05 Gay (closed), 03 Pontet Canet (nice and complex but not especially impressive), 10 Vieux Chateaux Mazerat (concentrated but not especially complex, needs time) and an 11 Kistler Hyde Chardonnay (nice mix of classic flavors but a bit thin finish).

Michael-P
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Michael-P wrote:Stefan: So are you saying my case of Cal Cab that went into FedEx from HDH 2 weeks ago will be OK when finally delivered? Seems because I used a business address, and the Bay Area shut down all but essential businesses 2 weeks ago, that FedEx decided they can't deliver those and has just left everything in their trucks parked under the California sunshine. FedEx said they might get to these in May, or whenever those businesses can reopen.

This week we've had an 05 Gay (closed), 03 Pontet Canet (nice and complex but not especially impressive), 10 Vieux Chateaux Mazerat (concentrated but not especially complex, needs time) and an 11 Kistler Hyde Chardonnay (nice mix of classic flavors but a bit thin finish).

Michael-P
Shipping insurance cover this situation for your locked down shipment?
stefan

Post by stefan »

No, Michael. I was referring to the Repour rather than the temperature. My warmest storage is below 70F. If I intend to keep an open wine longer than a day or two I generally Repour AND fridge it, or at least put it into cooler storage. I was happy that Repour worked fine when the storage was not much below room temperature.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Finished a great bottle of 2004 Selvapiana Bucerchiale Riserva Chianti Rufina last night. This is in a great place. Traditional stylings combined with tremendous freshness and a terrific core of unadulterated fruit. One of my favorite Tuscan wines and truly one of the world’s great QPRs at $25-30. If you enjoy chianti and never had this before, hunt down a bottle.
stefan

Post by stefan »

We are drinking 2016 St Innocent Momtazi. It is almost as open as the Temperance Hill but not yet dusty and a bit sharper and more scratchy. The red raspberries are fresh off the vine. It is fun to drink these 2016s before they close down. Or maybe they will not close down; only time will tell. The taste hangs around as the wine drips off my tongue.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Got an 09 Lanessan breathing to accompany dinner tonight.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

HDH says their insurance will cover my loss. But I would have rather received those wines (uncooked) than a refund. I'm not sure when I should ask for the refund. Now? Or wait until they are delivered and try one or two and see how they are? I just can't imagine anything but a Port surviving in the truck trailer outside in California for a few months during Mar-May.
Michael-P
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote:Finished a great bottle of 2004 Selvapiana Bucerchiale Riserva Chianti Rufina last night. This is in a great place. Traditional stylings combined with tremendous freshness and a terrific core of unadulterated fruit. One of my favorite Tuscan wines and truly one of the world’s great QPRs at $25-30. If you enjoy chianti and never had this before, hunt down a bottle.
I picked up some of the 2015, and am also waiting for the 2016 release.

Hard to fathom why, but their normale sells through very quickly at all my usual places, so I seem to have missed 2016 & 2017.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

PNP a Domaine Janasse CDP 2010 - mistake on my part as this needs a lengthy decant. 15.5% - Yikes!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I bought some 2013 Ridge Geyserville for Béatrice when she'll be 18 years old. I guess it will be ok to keep it until 2031?

Try to open less wine at the moment. It is too easy being locked at home to open a lot.

Nic
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Opened a 1987 Pichon Lalande that had a fill level below bottom shoulder - discovered the reason, the cork had fallen into the wine and the capsule was the only thing that kept all of the wine from draining out. Aroma was surprisingly appealing but we just used it to re-hydrate dehydrated shiitake mushrooms. After filtering, the wine and the mushrooms went into beef stew that turned out just great. Didn’t have any wine that night (besides what was in the stew).

Some recent German Rieslings (7.5-8% alcohol) that are open in the refrigerator: 2015 Schloss Lieser Brauneberg Juffer Sonnenuhr Spatlese, 2015 von Kesselstatt Scharzhoffberger Spatlese and 2013 Willi Schaefer Graacher Dombrobst Kabinett.

Chris Bublitz
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I've pulled out a few nice wines to help with the tough times of the moment. But I can't bring out the good stuff every night. So we have also been enjoying some pretty nice "everyday" wines, such as:

2018 Jean Manciat Macon Charnay
2017 Girardin Bourgogne Cuvee St. Vincent
2016 Piaugier Cotes du Rhone Sablet
2016 St. Patrice Cotes du Rhone
2017 St. Prefert Cotes du Rhone
2017 Garrigue Cotes du Rhone Cuvee Romaine
2016/2017 San Felice Chianti Classico
2016 Moulin d'Issan Bordeaux Superieur
2016 Laronde Desormes Bordeaux Superieur

All but 2 of these are in the $15-20 price range, and the others under $25. Lots of good wine values out there to help with our tough times.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Really enjoying a 2006 Tempier Bandol rouge tonight. Man this is good.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night Lucie and I had a nice dinner with Jacques and Jill. We drank 2008 Dom Perignon, which tasted even better than the bottle in Fort Lauderdale in February, perhaps because it did not have to compete with 2008 Cristal. Lucie and I ate an Alsatian tart Lucie made that we rated only good. However, for lunch today we heated it and ate it while sipping on 2006 Trimbach Frederic Emile. The combination was great. This was a good time to drink a fine Riesling because with so little driving during the lockdown we haven't been to a filling station for quite some time.
jal

Post by jal »

We had a lot of fun in this impromptu virtual dinner catching up with Stefan and Lucie, we would have been having dinner together in Tel Aviv otherwise this month.
I also thought the 2008 Dom showed even better than in Fort Lauderdale, it had a bit of flint on the nose and was excellent with our homemade chicken Thai curry.
Apart from that we drank very little the last few days, we did have a 2012 Smith Haut Lafitte that we drank over four days (with help of a Repour). That wine was delicious as are most vintages of SHL (I can barely tell the difference between each vintage), bright vibrant and structured with a good core of black fruit, it is a bit modern and I don't really think the SHL wines benefit from long aging.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Bill, I thought in Texas one was never far from the smell of petrochemicals?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ah, for the good ole days when we lived near the Houston ship channel, which occasionally would even catch fire.

In College Station we get attractive aromas in the air only when TAMU has its firepersons school. I imagine the school will be virtual this summer with the main course entitled "How to put out a virtual fire".
stefan

Post by stefan »

With turkey cutlets we drank

2015 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir. The AVA of this rather inexpensive PN is Ribbon Ridge, which is in the Chehalem Mountain/Willamette Valley AVA, but it is modestly labeled "Oregon Pinot Noir" on the front. It has a wonderful smoky nose and a lovely cranberry taste with plenty of acid. I have been very pleased with Marcus' PNs and Chardonnays and intend to buy more.