What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

sdr

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by sdr »

Wow, Chris, I use CT every day for keeping track of my collection and TNs, but I had no idea the weeds were this deep. Bravo.

Stu
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight with grilled chicken thighs, arugula, tomatoes with burrata and basil, and untouched orzo I drank 2009 St Innocent Shea Special Selection.

Being ocularly challenged, I noticed that this was a special selection only after I uncorked the bottle. The regular 2009 PNs from SI are in prime time, but this wine is still on the upslope. It is a monster with dense dark fruit and a super glue stickiness on the tongue. Mark over oaked some of his SS wines in this period, but the wood in this bottle is no match for the fruit. I hope I have another bottle stashed away to drink in five or more years.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

sdr wrote:Wow, Chris, I use CT every day for keeping track of my collection and TNs, but I had no idea the weeds were this deep. Bravo.

Stu
I'm sure there's still a number of features I don't know about.
But I do look in on the cellartracker support forum to see what troubles and ideas other users come up with.
:ugeek:
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2012 St Innocent Momtazi Pinot Noir
Holy mackerel, this is good. I am enjoying it as I type, popped and poured, and it's gloriously fruity on the nose and attack. There are great pomegranate acids on the finish and this lingers on with intensity and a touch of bitterness. There's plenty of cherry fruit but also lots of soil and mineral tones as well. Both sexy and serious at the same time, it's early days here still but really in the How zone right now. Delicious.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I have not tasted any OR vintages post 14 except a lone 16 that I liked. 14-16 is a string of warm to hot vintages. My last SI was a puzzling 06 Seven Springs Special Selection. It was more a product of 06 heat than Seven Springs. I just could not get a good handle on what this wine was about. My last bottle is slated for consumption in 2 years.

An 05 Seven Springs is coming up soon. The 05 opened with Arv and Bill last summer took my breath away.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

Don't finish the bottle before the traditional Momtazi dustiness comes out, Patrick.

Tonight with seared tuna I am drinking 2013 Domaine Drouhin Laurene. 2013 is a strange vintage in Oregon. stefanJr loved the St Innocents on first tasting, and I bought quite a few as a result. When we drank them together a couple of months later both of us found them unattractive. I decided not to purchase more 2013, but I got the D.D. Laurene automatically as a club member. Some Burgundy lovers on wine boards said that the 2013s would be very good eventually, but I had my doubts. However, they have begun to come around. The Laurene is atypical for Laurene, which generally is a full bodied, seductive wine. In 2013 it is thinner than usual but has tart framboise flavors that accent the tuna.
Claret

Post by Claret »

My next vintages of SI to explore with be 11 and 13. I have liked the 13 vintage in general.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

Wish I had some more 2005 7 Springs, Glenn. I hope stefanJr has one or two stashed away.

Although I tend to prefer leaner Burgundies, in Oregon I like more the fuller PNs. So I am not a fan of 2007, 2011, and I like 2013 less than 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2016, not that I am unhappy with the number of 2013s I bought.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

For whatever reasons, about 90% of my SI experiences have been Shea and Momtazi, and at this point I’m cozy with them.

I’ve mostly had 99, 02, 05, 07 and 08 SI vintages through the years. Whatever their general rep in Oregon, I’m a fan of the 05, and to a somewhat lesser degree, 07 SIs. The 99s and 02s were great, better than the other years, but I drank those up ages ago.

What’s the skinny on 12? This Momtazi seems ripe (but by no means over ripe) to me for SI.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Blanquito wrote: .

What’s the skinny on 12? This Momtazi seems ripe (but by no means over ripe) to me for SI.
I got 3 splits of 12 Momtazi. I drank 2 of them. The first one I think I had in 16 or 17. The nose was a dynamite and the room was filled with that terrific red fruit and granache type nose. It was so good. So much so like an overdose of incense! The second split I had may be few months to an year later, and the nose was a typical pinot noir which was good, but very much muted when compared to the first one. I was puzzled, but I enjoyed both splits drinking them...I have the last split and am hoping that it would resemble more like the first one...

It was such a surprise for me that these two splits showed such varying degrees on the nose. Maybe stefan or others can chime in if they had any such experience...

P.S. I had 14 Momtazi also, and enjoyed it very much, but felt it was a bit more robust than the 12 version.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Blanquito wrote:2012 St Innocent Momtazi Pinot Noir
Holy mackerel, this is good. I am enjoying it as I type, popped and poured, and it's gloriously fruity on the nose and attack. There are great pomegranate acids on the finish and this lingers on with intensity and a touch of bitterness. There's plenty of cherry fruit but also lots of soil and mineral tones as well. Both sexy and serious at the same time, it's early days here still but really in the How zone right now. Delicious.
No need to blanquito it anymore? I thought you would... :P
Claret

Post by Claret »

12 in OR is considered a ripe but not crazy hot vintage and I like the results. I am opening a 12 Walter Scott Dumb Ox on Saturday for the WS Zoom event. I do not have any recent data points on this vintage so this is a good exercise.

I find it amusing that SI has so much traction here.

Is the 17 vintage a less ripe vintage? How about 18? I seem to recall this being the case. My current wine strategy is consumption mode and buying is at a minimum, mostly daily drinker Italian Soave and Verncaccia's and roses. 2018 Pratsch Rose from Austria uses organic Zweigelt grapes producing a crisp and interesting wine. A new grape experience for me.
Glenn
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Chateau Roc Taillade Medoc 2016
Another inexpensive Bas Medoc wine. Good color with nose of cassis and plum fruit plus some old oak and tobacco. Palate is light to medium bodied with soft dark fruit and medium acid, the back palate being astringent and short. It is an okay wine but is rather angular and simple.
stefan

Post by stefan »

CV, the 2012 started closing rather quickly, but there is so much fruit in them that they have continued to be good for current drinking. The challenge is to hold on to enough for drinking when they hit full maturity.

As for the 2012 SI Momtazi, I have all three: the regular bottling, the Special Selection, and the Fujian. I would like to have a horizontal blind tasting of all three when they are age 15 to see how much they have separated.
Last edited by stefan on Fri May 29, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Well, that 12 Momtazi from half bottle was delicious. It settled down a bit with some air, but remained an inverse mullet over the evening: party upfront, business in back. As CV said, this is a gloriously aromatic wine, and while not close to full maturity yet it doesn’t require another blanquito (shocking, I know) as it is so good now. Plus pinot, like most other red varietals, has a earlier drinking window than Cab-based wines.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Blanquito, it would be tough to hold on to the last split of 12 SIM based on your assessment, but heeding to stefan to hold on to it for a while would also be rewarding...Wow, tough choice. The only way out is to be on the lookout and source more of them...
Claret

Post by Claret »

In my experience SI wines reward ageing. I have not opened any 12's yet.
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I went through about 20 bottles of 2012 Momtazi, it was always a favorite at the family and friend gatherings etc.
Ah, family and friend gatherings... A fond memory.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Tonight:
Chateau Tour de Cazelle, Cotes de Bourg, 2016
Crozes Hermitage, Guigal, 2016
Greg Norman, Shiraz, 2016

Blind...
Last edited by Dandersson on Fri May 29, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I am thrilled to have a small group of friends over for dinner next week for a landmark birthday.
Glenn
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Bois De Boursan Chateauneuf Cuvee Felix 2005. On the tin it says 14%. I think they have rounded it down. But it is vgi, and I am not generally a fan of C9, but this is a great expression full of Provençal optimism, sunshine and exuberance; within but close to the limit of my tolerance. If it had counoise it would be outside the pen.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Chateau Tour de Cazelle, Cotes de Bourg, 2016, Nice clear appearance, a lot of fruit and some oak. Good depth of fruit flavor, open, some tannin and acidity to hug the fruit. The fruit is merlot driven, checking this confirmed 80%. The length is not short nor long. I like this wine but far from great. 85p
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Greg Norman, Shiraz, 2016, An Aussie structured Shiraz, Nice clear appearance, this has a peppery note with some mint and dark fruit, Shiraz/blackberry fruit, nice gripping tannin with complementing acidity, some pepper flavors. Not as much length as I would have wanted. I do like that it has a good structure and balance. This is an enjoyable wine for me, also not great but clearly good, for the price good QPR. 85p
stefan

Post by stefan »

With excellent Camembert from fromage.com (recommended by Jacques) we are drinking 2008 Bollinger. Excellent! Mouth filling mousse, flavorful citrus laced apples, lasting finish--what is there not to like?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I love Camembert, but my wife always threatens to evict me when I bring some home.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Blanquito wrote:I love Camembert, but my wife always threatens to evict me when I bring some home.
Guess she is really sensitive, it is one of the milder cheeses.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah, it's a bit runny....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Any Norwegian Jarlsberger, per chance?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2018 Monte Zovo Oltremonte sauvignon Verona.

Organic wine, french whit grape, made near Verona in Venitia.

13% of slightly burning alcohol, with tropical fruit with concentrated sweet lemon, peaches, mango. A bit extreme and missing balance to me.

Lucky me, MC cook shrimp and asparagus pasta in a cream sauce, so calm down the wine.

Want it or not, in italian dry white wines, i seem to like only some Soave and Alto Adige area wines.

Nic
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Crozes Hermitage, Guigal, 2016, sound color, great nose after given some time. Pepper, violets, dark berries, taste is great, smoked meat, small tar and licorice developing, pepper nice dark blackberry/syarh fruit.It is medium bodied so nothing like the big stuff. But wow I like this stuff. 88-89p
Claret

Post by Claret »

Nic, if you can find any Pieropan Soave give it a try. I have only had the basic bottle and it is fantastic, especially with fish. Venica in Friuli is also excellent.
Glenn
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:Ah, it's a bit runny....
Sorry, the cat's eaten it.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Dandersson wrote:Chateau Tour de Cazelle, Cotes de Bourg, 2016, Nice clear appearance, a lot of fruit and some oak. Good depth of fruit flavor, open, some tannin and acidity to hug the fruit. The fruit is merlot driven, checking this confirmed 80%. The length is not short nor long. I like this wine but far from great. 85p
I drank a few bottles of the 2013, and a couple of the 2014. They were also enjoyable, good but maybe not Very good. At least they were worth the small price paid, and a decent weeknight diversion.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Racer Chris wrote:
Dandersson wrote:Chateau Tour de Cazelle, Cotes de Bourg, 2016, Nice clear appearance, a lot of fruit and some oak. Good depth of fruit flavor, open, some tannin and acidity to hug the fruit. The fruit is merlot driven, checking this confirmed 80%. The length is not short nor long. I like this wine but far from great. 85p
I drank a few bottles of the 2013, and a couple of the 2014. They were also enjoyable, good but maybe not Very good. At least they were worth the small price paid, and a decent weeknight diversion.
Yes, it certainly is a decent QPR, even when the price has gone up a bit lately. Though, if one affords say $5 more, I personally would go for one of the cheaper Haut Medoc/Medoc wines out there. No doubt partially due to my Cab based preference.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

2016 Janasse Côtes du Rhône Reserve - I’ve gravitated away from S. Rhônes due to a dislike of the sweetness of ripe Grenache, but a couple of these rounded out a shipping pack of some 2008 PR Winston. 2016 is supposed to be a great year with more structure than 2015. Still this is a bit on the too sweet/not enough acid side for me. Popping it in the fridge to chill it actually improved the balance, making it a nice deck quaffed.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Bois De Boursan Chateauneuf Cuvee Felix 2005. On the tin it says 14%. I think they have rounded it down. But it is vgi, and I am not generally a fan of C9, but this is a great expression full of Provençal optimism, sunshine and exuberance; within but close to the limit of my tolerance. If it had counoise it would be outside the pen.
Ian, please translate this paragraph into American :roll:.

Stu
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Dandersson wrote: Yes, it certainly is a decent QPR, even when the price has gone up a bit lately. Though, if one affords say $5 more, I personally would go for one of the cheaper Haut Medoc/Medoc wines out there. No doubt partially due to my Cab based preference.
I'd like to know what you think of Chateau La Cardonne (Medoc). See if its available locally to you.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Racer Chris wrote:
Dandersson wrote: Yes, it certainly is a decent QPR, even when the price has gone up a bit lately. Though, if one affords say $5 more, I personally would go for one of the cheaper Haut Medoc/Medoc wines out there. No doubt partially due to my Cab based preference.
I'd like to know what you think of Chateau La Cardonne (Medoc). See if its available locally to you.
Yup, you will get to know that hopefully this fall. I will put it on my next order, when we get a respite from this summer weather.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Domaine Chanson Beaune Clos des Mouches Blanc 2007
A pity this is the last bottle from the case and this one is a bit out of shape.
Color is buttercup yellow and shows aromas of honey and quince paste. The previous bottles from the case were excellent but this one is a bit disjoint with a lack of minerality and length. Palate is dominated with honey though with tart acidity and a lack of balance. The citrus and stony characters have deserted it. Not a complete disaster but a disappointing bottle.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Domaine Chanson Beaune Clos des Mouches Blanc 2007
A pity this is the last bottle from the case and this one is a bit out of shape.
Color is buttercup yellow and shows aromas of honey and quince paste. The previous bottles from the case were excellent but this one is a bit disjoint with a lack of minerality and length. Palate is dominated with honey though with tart acidity and a lack of balance. The citrus and stony characters have deserted it. Not a complete disaster but a disappointing bottle.