What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Comte Flaneur

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by Comte Flaneur »

sdr wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote:Bois De Boursan Chateauneuf Cuvee Felix 2005. On the tin (bottle) it says 14%. I think they have rounded it down (from above 14%). But it is vgi (very good indeed) and I am not generally a fan of C9 (Chateauneuf du Pape) but this is a great expression full of Provençal optimism, sunshine and exuberance; within but close to the limit of my tolerance (of alcohol, extract). If it had counoise (a regional grape used in Beaucastel, which I don’t get on with) it would be outside the pen (It would take it beyond my limit of tolerance (and it is for this reason I plan to sell my 2001 Beaucastel)).
Ian, please translate this paragraph into American :roll:. (I hope those edits make sense Stu).

Stu
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

2000 Talbot St. Julien with braised lamb shank for a birthday dinner. This was the first bottle from a case purchased just after release. I chose this because, of all the 2000s I have, Parker gave this one the earliest drinking window - 2006-2020. Well, I'm glad I did not open one in 2006. After decanting for 3 hours before dinner, I think this wine is still a blanquito or two from peak. The nose was classic Bordeaux with dark fruits and earthy aromas. The palate was more dark fruits, earthy minerality, along with freshness from acidity as well as pretty apparent tannins. Letting the wine sit in the glass for 20 or 30 minutes allowed it to open a bit. Despite is still being on the youngish side, I found it quite enjoyable. I put part of the bottle in a sealed small container in the refrigerator. Tonight I will see what 24 hours has done.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Comte Flaneur wrote:
sdr wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote:Bois De Boursan Chateauneuf Cuvee Felix 2005. On the tin (bottle) it says 14%. I think they have rounded it down (from above 14%). But it is vgi (very good indeed) and I am not generally a fan of C9 (Chateauneuf du Pape) but this is a great expression full of Provençal optimism, sunshine and exuberance; within but close to the limit of my tolerance (of alcohol, extract). If it had counoise (a regional grape used in Beaucastel, which I don’t get on with) it would be outside the pen (It would take it beyond my limit of tolerance (and it is for this reason I plan to sell my 2001 Beaucastel)).
Ian, please translate this paragraph into American :roll:. (I hope those edits make sense Stu).

Stu
Ian, can you please elaborate on your dislike of counoise, what about this grape is causing your unhappiness with Beaucastel, I believe the 2001, had 10% of it? Thank you!
Always hunting for more knowledge.
Best, Dan
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Hi Dan, I can’t really put my finger on what it was about that wine. It may have been the Mourvedre but that is a variety I haven’t had a problem with in the past, so I assumed it must have been the counoise. I would acknowledge that the 2001 Beaucastel is probably a very good wine but I just could not get along with it. Sorry that is far from a satisfactory answer. Atb Ian
P.S., as you may know, or may have experienced, the 1998 Beau is all over the place.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Ian, yes sometimes it is strange like that. What tastes good for some doesn't for others. Good luck selling the 2001, do you have a lot of it? I am sure it will be easy to sell. Thank you!

Best, Dan
stefan

Post by stefan »

For lunch we ate chalupas compuestas and drank Margaritas a la Français made with 50% Reserva de Don Julio Reposado and 50% Sauza Extra Gold Tequila.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’m not really a fan of the 01 Beau, either. But the 99 is smoking good.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2019 Bonny Doon Vin gris with lobster rolls. What a great match!

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

1983 Gruaud Larose with filet mignon and homemade saffron egg noodles... fully mature, perhaps just off its long peak, but still sensational. Smoke, leather, cranberries, cedar, bell pepper, and mint highlight it’s lovely bouquet. Quite intense on the palate with high acids, some savory fruit, a surprisingly layered and silky mid-palate, and some lingering grip and woody tannin. Has a wonderful element of smoke and capsicum. Really really good. 94 pts.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

JCNorthway wrote:2000 Talbot St. Julien with braised lamb shank for a birthday dinner. This was the first bottle from a case purchased just after release. I chose this because, of all the 2000s I have, Parker gave this one the earliest drinking window - 2006-2020. Well, I'm glad I did not open one in 2006. After decanting for 3 hours before dinner, I think this wine is still a blanquito or two from peak. The nose was classic Bordeaux with dark fruits and earthy aromas. The palate was more dark fruits, earthy minerality, along with freshness from acidity as well as pretty apparent tannins. Letting the wine sit in the glass for 20 or 30 minutes allowed it to open a bit. Despite is still being on the youngish side, I found it quite enjoyable. I put part of the bottle in a sealed small container in the refrigerator. Tonight I will see what 24 hours has done.
Let us know how it was on day 2 Jon.

Just goes to show what nonsense are those drinking windows
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

On day 2, the 2000 Talbot was pretty much unchanged from day 1. It was perhaps a bit more open, but still pretty structured, and no signs of tiredness. Just as enjoyable as on day 1, this time with grilled ribeye steak.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Clerc Milon 2006
Lovely aromatics. Soft and round on the palate with good tertiary flavors. Mineral finish. 92

With Lynch Bages pricing where it currently resides, I think that with Clerc Milon coming from the same stable while also being another wonderful Pauillac 5th growth, is for me, a better candidate for being candidly referred to as the poor man’s Mouton.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

1983 Suideraut with a Zoom group. Gorgeous color, somebody wanted to paint their walls the same color. Enticing nose, little botrytis, good fruit, some caramel, on mid palate there was a bitterness, which dissipated, but did not disappear as the wine warmed, and actually made the wine a little more interesting. Medium finish. 91 points.
stefan

Post by stefan »

On successive nights, 1999 Bruno Clair Savigny-les-Beaune Damodes 1er Cru and Morey-St-Denis. These took Lucie off her wine fast. Both have tertiary notes of tobacco, the Damodes more than the MSD. The fruit fresher in the MSD, while the bouquet of the Damodes is more inviting. Both were a pleasure to drink with poached chicken in a white sauce. The Damodes is the first bottle from a case I bought on futures and more or less forgot about, and I have 5 more bottles of the MSD. Good thing, as most of my 1999 Burgundies have not reached prime drinking time.

Last night we drank 1917 Domaine Drouhin Arthur Dundee Chardonnay. This is about as good as one can expect from a basic OR Chardonnay; in particular, I like it more than the St Innocent Freedom Hill Chardonnay; but it does not compare to a Drouhin village wine from a respected appellation. I expect it to improve with 2-5 more years in bottle.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

stefan wrote:On successive nights, 1999 Bruno Clair Savigny-les-Beaune Damodes 1er Cru and Morey-St-Denis. These took Lucie off her wine fast. Both have tertiary notes of tobacco, the Damodes more than the MSD. The fruit fresher in the MSD, while the bouquet of the Damodes is more inviting. Both were a pleasure to drink with poached chicken in a white sauce. The Damodes is the first bottle from a case I bought on futures and more or less forgot about, and I have 5 more bottles of the MSD. Good thing, as most of my 1999 Burgundies have not reached prime drinking time.

Last night we drank 1917 Domaine Drouhin Arthur Dundee Chardonnay. This is about as good as one can expect from a basic OR Chardonnay; in particular, I like it more than the St Innocent Freedom Hill Chardonnay; but it does not compare to a Drouhin village wine from a respected appellation. I expect it to improve with 2-5 more years in bottle.
Stefan, i would say it is that 1917 Chardonnay that you had clearly forgotten about, more than the Savigny! ;)

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Why oh why is white Burgundy so special, so hard to replicate?

Sub-question related to Bill's post: is there any dry white wine made outside of France that is special?

For me, yes the rieslings of Austria and Germany, but it that it?

I like some Californian and Oregon whites, but are they special? Maybe a few, like Mount Eden, Stony Hill, perhaps Rhys?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Musigny 151 wrote:1983 Suideraut with a Zoom group. Gorgeous color, somebody wanted to paint their walls the same color. Enticing nose, little botrytis, good fruit, some caramel, on mid palate there was a bitterness, which dissipated, but did not disappear as the wine warmed, and actually made the wine a little more interesting. Medium finish. 91 points.
Years ago I showed my designer a bottle of Phelan Segur and requested that my flat's walls be that color cream, and the door window/moulding/trim, that hue of red.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Blanquito wrote:1983 Gruaud Larose with filet mignon and homemade saffron egg noodles... fully mature, perhaps just off its long peak, but still sensational. Smoke, leather, cranberries, cedar, bell pepper, and mint highlight it’s lovely bouquet. Quite intense on the palate with high acids, some savory fruit, a surprisingly layered and silky mid-palate, and some lingering grip and woody tannin. Has a wonderful element of smoke and capsicum. Really really good. 94 pts.
Nice one Patrick, when you neXt come to this side of the pond I have a d-mag of the 83 Gruaud with your name on it
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jckba wrote:Clerc Milon 2006
Lovely aromatics. Soft and round on the palate with good tertiary flavors. Mineral finish. 92

With Lynch Bages pricing where it currently resides, I think that with Clerc Milon coming from the same stable while also being another wonderful Pauillac 5th growth, is for me, a better candidate for being candidly referred to as the poor man’s Mouton.
It really is JC. I visited Clerc Milon in 2018. It is literally wedged between Lafite and Mouton in a FG sandwich, but a bit closer to the river. I tried the 2006 last year and it was v good, my only slight gripe was that it did not appear to have much length. Last year I picked up a case of the 2009 at auction, I can’t remember for how much but I think in the £500-600 range.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
is there any dry white wine made outside of France that is special?
>>

Not in my experience. All the special dry Rieslings I have drunk have been Alsatian.
jckba

Post by jckba »

stefan wrote:>>
is there any dry white wine made outside of France that is special?
>>

Not in my experience. All the special dry Rieslings I have drunk have been Alsatian.
Try Keller and at any level.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I have long admired the rieslings from Alsace, especially Trimbach and Weinbach gets an honorable mention. Trimbach is my favorite. But the dry rieslings of the Wachau have really come on strong in my pecking order.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Do not overlook dry Australian Riesling. I am enjoying Rolf Binder.
Glenn
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote:
Blanquito wrote:1983 Gruaud Larose with filet mignon and homemade saffron egg noodles... fully mature, perhaps just off its long peak, but still sensational. Smoke, leather, cranberries, cedar, bell pepper, and mint highlight it’s lovely bouquet. Quite intense on the palate with high acids, some savory fruit, a surprisingly layered and silky mid-palate, and some lingering grip and woody tannin. Has a wonderful element of smoke and capsicum. Really really good. 94 pts.
Nice one Patrick, when you neXt come to this side of the pond I have a d-mag of the 83 Gruaud with your name on it
Wow, a double magnum! I bet it is fresh as a daisy in that format.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I opened a bottle of 2015 Ch. Guillou last Friday and drank one glass, drank most of it last night, and had the last glass tonight. Its a cheap satellite St. Emilion. I really liked the first glass, the rest was good but not as exciting. Saturday night I finished an open bottle of 2016 Albrecht Riesling Reserve which had been in the fridge for a couple weeks. I really enjoyed that with the Coho salmon for dinner. I enjoy this wine much more after a good airing out.
Tonight, after the final glass of Giullou, I opened a bottle of 2014 Ch. du Retout, and drank 2 glasses with dinner. It has nice rich fruit, toasty oak character, and a healthy dose of tannins. The oak is ok, strong but not overpowering, and also not quite to my preference. I am hopeful for improvement over the next few years. Maybe I'll like this more after a good bit of air too.
stefan

Post by stefan »

With Lucie's pizza we drank tonight 2012 Ruffino Riserva Ducale Oro Chianti. This is our go to Chianti. While there are probably better choices for the price, it is consistently good and available locally. The 2012 is less precise than the 2010, but, come on, this is Chianti. Who intellectualizes Chianti? Not stefan and Lucie.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Last night drank 2018 Marcel Amance Bourgogne (Rouge)
I normally don't bother with basic Bourgogne AOC wines but this was quite good for what it was.
Very dark ruby colour showing the vintage well - 2018 is well regarded in Burgundy.
The nose showed red fruits, savoury, herbal characters and a touch of oak in the background.
Quite firm acid and medium weight palate with redcurrant, cherry and cranberry fruit, quite dry and firm, finishing with crisp acidity and a slight stalky/stemmy character.
For a basic Bourgogne, this is a good wine. Cost about $S19 (around $US14).
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Couple days ago, 2011 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese was a little too sweet and a little short on acidity (for my taste) - a bit disappointing considering its status. Tonight, going with nv Laurent-Perrier Rose. Easy drinking and very pleasant Champagne.

Chris Bublitz
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2009 Huet Petillant Reserve. First things first: champagne suffers no contenders. But this is really nice. Lots of white cherries to go with plenty of grip and verve. So easy to drink, delicious. 92 pts.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight with fresh fettuccine with mushrooms I drank more 2016 St Innocent Justice Pinot Noir. I just cannot keep my hands off this wine. I know it will be even more fantastic in 15 years, but it is so good now that the bottles jump at me when I enter my wine room. I am down to 13 bottles. Got to buy more and ask Mark to hold them at the winery for ten years and refuse to ship them before then no matter how much I plead.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:Tonight with fresh fettuccine with mushrooms I drank more 2016 St Innocent Justice Pinot Noir. I just cannot keep my hands off this wine. I know it will be even more fantastic in 15 years, but it is so good now that the bottles jump at me when I enter my wine room. I am down to 13 bottles. Got to buy more and ask Mark to hold them at the winery for ten years and refuse to ship them before then no matter how much I plead.
Can these be held in escrow in case of insolvency?
Claret

Post by Claret »

1990 Leoville Poyferre for a landmark birthday. Consumed over 2 nights with a 375 recork tonight, this is a wonderful St. Julien. Fully mature and nicely textured, no need to wait on this any longer.

Tomorrow night we will open more celebratory gems at the gathering at my house.
Glenn
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

That 1990 Leoville Poyferre sure is a wonderful wine. I think I still have a couple bottles of it down in the cellar.

Tonight, we shared a bottle of 2015 Keller Limestone Kabinett. Now this is a really great classic German Riesling. About $30 and worth every penny. What zinging acidity with nice fruit and just slightly sweet.

Couple weeks ago we enjoyed a classic Barolo - 2004 Cavallotto Bricco Boschis in good place for current drinking.

Chris Bublitz
Claret

Post by Claret »

The Only Keller I ever had was a basic Trocken and it was rockin.
Glenn
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I occasionally splurge (like $40 - $60) on a big name German Riesling but am generally quite happy with the good selection that is available here in the DC area for $25 - $40. Really not tempted by the very high end stuff.

Chris Bublitz
stefan

Post by stefan »

2003 Calon-Segur with grilled flat iron, a corn salad, and small potatoes. The bouquet was inviting at first but died quickly and did not return. Lots of of black cassis, firm but smooth tannins, solid mid palate, but one dimensional. Lucie said she might have guessed it to be a CA cab if she had not seen the label.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

With takeout from our favorite local Thai place, 2007 JJ Christoffel Ürzinger Würtzgarten Spätlese one-star, AP 05. A little lower acid than many of the German Rieslings I’ve been drinking recently but well balanced and in a really nice spot.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Haha I did Thai takeout as well last night and went with a pair of 2010 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Rieslings in both an Auslese and Spatlese. The Spat was the better wine last night with or without food as it was more fragrant, crisper, insanely well balanced and with a long pleasing finish.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2005 Edmunds St John Parmalee Hill Syrah tonight, still going strong. Lavender, sweet tarts, blueberries, blackberry zinger tea with some savory and saison notes. Delightful, mature, silky, quite bright. Not much complexity, but otherwise excellent.
jal

Post by jal »

A delicious 2017 Jacques Carillon Puligny Montrachet, crisp and tense with a light clean texture and as good a structure as many 1er Cru. 91
A wonderful 2006 Bruno Clair Gevrey Chambertin Clos Saint Jacques with a wonderful nose, excellent fruit, purity and minerality, light on its feet and a very complex classic Pinot, just my type of red Burgundy. 93
Best

Jacques