What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Claudius2

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by Claudius2 »

Dujardin Beaune Les Beaux Fougets 2012
A lieu dit near Clos De La Mouches. A rather odd Burgundy with some twangy metallic character which eventually blew off but never showed balance or interest. It did improve with air to show red fruit and some spicy oak but rather disappointing. Cest la vie.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Opened the first bottle of a lot of 1988 Lynch Bages snagged at auction earlier in the year. Great old school Bordeaux with great balance, a bit of a green streak, iron, earth, and plenty of other notes contributing to a classic wine along the top of its plateau. Should go another decade easily based on the fruit, acid, and tannin.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I also love the '88 Lynch, David.

Tonight, with a bison cheeseburger, I drank 2015 Le Conseiller, which is a Bordeaux Superieur. This was a bottle left over from a large business BBQ I did last summer. It is good for its $20 price. No subtlety, but there are a variety of tastes in the mouth, and it is powerful enough for bison or BBQ.

OTOH, I have had better CA Cab for $80.
jal

Post by jal »

• 1981 Château Gloria - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (6/11/2020)
    Opened with roast chicken, roasted sweet potatoes and arugula salad; lovely dark purple color, no bricking, I can't smell anything at all except a note of stewed prunes that quickly dissipates. On the palate it is soft, sweet with the fruit still hanging on but feels like it's on its last legs, the acidity and complexity almost all gone and the wine feels a bit monolithic. An abrupt finish. This is decent but I would drink it sooner rather than later (88 pts.)
Best

Jacques
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jal
It is quite amazing that a CB is still okay after 40 years, particularly in a vintage that was good rather than great. In the meantime I’m sipping a 2010 Bel Orme Tronquoy Lalande. The first of these was ordinary but this bottle is pretty good. Yet I have no reason to keep this Haut Medoc CB. Quite open now and fine with Striploin steak.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night with grilled lamb chops and while zooming with good friends Lucie and I revisited a BWE favorite--1996 Leoville Barton. It has matured to become the outstanding wine many of us thought it would be 20 years ago. The tannins are soft but plenty strong to stand up to lamb, the fruit is delicious, and the mouthfeel and length great. This sturdy and elegant bottle shows that Leoville Barton can produce the best that St Julien can offer.

I finished with a glass of 1988 Suduiraut and later had a second glass with Lucie while eating popcorn and watching Bosch, season 3. This bottle, which I purchased at auction last year, was in perfect condition, and the wine itself was precise, with mineral infused honey and a hint of jasmine. I love 1988 Sauternes.

Two wonderful wines, and our company for the evening made them even better. We are anxious to see them in person soon.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Gaza, Sori San Lorenzo, 1985

Struck a rich vein of Piedmontese magic and perfection. In the sweet spot; gorgeous nose entices you into a rich, spicey Piedmontese magical mystery tour and heady paradise of dark fruits, woodsy bonfires and herbs; it still has grip, punch, power, persistence and exhilarating tension on the palate, with superb precision and definition, and a classy lingering finish. Still has a decade in the tank but perfect now.

My wine of the year - ps one from a few weeks ago stood up and it remained stood up for three weeks. Top five Piedmont experiences, restores my faith in Gaja.
stefan

Post by stefan »

With grilled chicken thighs we drank 2011 St Innocent Freedom Hill PN. I never liked the 2011 PN from Oregon, but others said they would be good in time. The FH, undrinkable by itself, was pretty good with the chicken. Lucie liked it more, but agreed that by itself it was not very good. To me it has too little fruit, is thin, and the acid is too high for the fruit. In that it is like many Burgundies. It does have nice aromatics and some character, which is also like many Burgundies. I am glad that this was my last bottle.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2009 Togni Tanbark Hill Cabernet
Their equivalent of a second label, quite nice for the price with good red cherry fruit buttoned down by some ample acids (by cali standards). But compared to the grand vin this is nothing more than a straight-forward, reasonably balanced quaffer.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

stefan wrote:Last night with grilled lamb chops and while zooming with good friends Lucie and I revisited a BWE favorite--1996 Leoville Barton. It has matured to become the outstanding wine many of us thought it would be 20 years ago. The tannins are soft but plenty strong to stand up to lamb, the fruit is delicious, and the mouthfeel and length great. This sturdy and elegant bottle shows that Leoville Barton can produce the best that St Julien can offer.

I finished with a glass of 1988 Suduiraut and later had a second glass with Lucie while eating popcorn and watching Bosch, season 3. This bottle, which I purchased at auction last year, was in perfect condition, and the wine itself was precise, with mineral infused honey and a hint of jasmine. I love 1988 Sauternes.

Two wonderful wines, and our company for the evening made them even better. We are anxious to see them in person soon.
We drank a bottle of 1996 Leoville Barton 3 weeks ago with identical results. Patience rewarded!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I thought the 1996 Chateau Léoville Barton i brought to the 2019 Denver lunch was a bit the same.

So much Barton and so much 1996, a perfect mix.

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Salade niçoise with a 2018 Chavy-Chouet Bourgogne Aligoté "Les petits poiriers".

Nice match, with the light citrusy, strong honey, medium weed of the Aligoté.

I had 2 reds and one white of Chavy-Chouet, and up to now, i like a lot what they are making.

I bought some of their basic white Bourgogne from grape near Puligny... looking forward to try that too.

Nic
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Branaire Ducru 2009.

Needs a minimum of 3 or 4 more years IMO (opened this too early). Classically styled, tannic with an incredibly long finish.

Ian.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Last night was a white wine night with mussels in white wine, followed by blackened scallops. With the mussels I opened (and decanted) a 2008 Fevre Chablis Vaillons. It was a great pairing with the mussels. It had wonderful Chablis characteristics - tense and minerally, but the decant let the fruit shine through. With the scallops, a 2010 Girardin Corton Charlemagne (also decanted). This worked very well with the scallops. It was a bit softer and and rounder, and with very full and rich fruit flavors. I brought these wines to an evening with my wife's brother's family - they were very appreciative, and I had an excuse to break them out.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night with a salmon spread we drank 2010 Philippe Fourrier Brut. This relative inexpensive vintage sparkler contains citrus that accents the fish. I think it will improve with further storage. With our main course of mushroom crepes and ratatouille crepes we drank 2012 St Innocent Zenith Special Selection. This PN is a pleasure to drink now. The oak is integrated, the tannins are smooth, and nose almost mesmerizing. I did not expect it to be so good at this time.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Last night with our first dinner out in almost 3 months we opened the 2000 Lanson "Noble" champagne. Certainly ready to go but plenty of bubbles and a rich dry flavor. I told our friends I courted (successfully, as we all know now) mrs vino wayyy back in the day with a 1976 Lanson which was bone dry.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

1990 Louviere rouge, fully mature, wonderful as always, still a sensational QPR.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2012 Harper Voit Strandline. This Oregon Pinot Noir was fine with the stir fried duck Lucie made. No excitement, but the balance is good and the tastes pure.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Blanquito....

The 1990 La Louviere is one of those finds that fell into my lap about a decade ago at auction when i least expected it...It was one of the best purchases i ever made for a mature wine....i love how this wine just came together in the last few years...there is just a pleasing tobacco character filled with chuck full of berry clusters...the right balance of structure, fruit and acidity. There was some bottle variation, but overall a very good drink
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

brodway wrote:Blanquito....

The 1990 La Louviere is one of those finds that fell into my lap about a decade ago at auction when i least expected it...It was one of the best purchases i ever made for a mature wine....i love how this wine just came together in the last few years...there is just a pleasing tobacco character filled with chuck full of berry clusters...the right balance of structure, fruit and acidity. There was some bottle variation, but overall a very good drink
Yeah, i didn’t discover this wine until long after either (just 10 years ago), and it’s been a great value in mature Graves ever since. I reloaded recently for $65 all-in.

They’ve been fully mature the whole time I’ve been having them, makes me wonder how much longer the plateau will last.
Claret

Post by Claret »

stefan wrote:With our main course of mushroom crepes and ratatouille crepes we drank 2012 St Innocent Zenith Special Selection. This PN is a pleasure to drink now. The oak is integrated, the tannins are smooth, and nose almost mesmerizing. I did not expect it to be so good at this time.
This sounds like a winner. I did not start buying Zenith until 11 due to the young vine age. I have a few bottles from 11-14. I recall the nose as being superb the couple of times I have opened Zenith. Certainly Mark was getting the prime blocks. Who gets them now?
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

I dunno, Glenn. Didn't Ramey start using some? It would be strange if Ehren Jordan was not able to pick some plots. Ramey does still sell to a few wineries, I think.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Zenith is nice O'Connor dirt with better clones. The nose is sexy spicy.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

Both Monday night and Tuesday night I drank with beef paprikash 2014 Beaucastel. My son in law Judd loves CdP while my son stefanJr hates them all. Well, except for Beaucastel. The paprikash and the Beaucastel fought both nights. The paprikash won easily, although the Beaucastel might best it in five years. I doubt that either Judd or stefanJr would like this Beaucastel for drinking now. With the paprikash it is completely flat; by itself it is uninteresting despite having reasonable structure and length.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2017 Niellon Chassagne villages tonight with baked char, seared green beans and whole wheat couscous... wow, this is great, on its own at least it is nearly equal to my memory of the single vineyards cuvées, only lacking some of the finesse of those. Long and intense, filled with lemon and dried ginger.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Tonight, a very Red Burgundy like rose Champagne, 2012 Bertrand Delespierre Saignee des Terres Amoureuses with soft shell crabs and blackened crispy skin salmon. The seafood was takeout from a restaurant a few blocks from our house. Very happy with the food and the Champagne.

Chris Bublitz
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2019 S de la Sablette Coteaux du Varois rosé. On that very warm day (90F), with pork lemony souvlakis, very cold rosé, it was perfect.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Winona Chief wrote:Tonight, a very Red Burgundy like rose Champagne, 2012 Bertrand Delespierre Saignee des Terres Amoureuses with soft shell crabs and blackened crispy skin salmon. The seafood was takeout from a restaurant a few blocks from our house. Very happy with the food and the Champagne.

Chris Bublitz
We all loved the bottle of 2012 Bertrand Delespierre Saignee des Terres Amoureuses you brought to Table 6, Chris. We even split a 6 pack, definitely a ‘should’ve bought more’ bubbly.
jal

Post by jal »

Blanquito wrote:2017 Niellon Chassagne villages tonight with baked char, seared green beans and whole wheat couscous... wow, this is great, on its own at least it is nearly equal to my memory of the single vineyards cuvées, only lacking some of the finesse of those. Long and intense, filled with lemon and dried ginger.
2017 White Burgundies are great!
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

jal wrote:
Blanquito wrote:2017 Niellon Chassagne villages tonight with baked char, seared green beans and whole wheat couscous... wow, this is great, on its own at least it is nearly equal to my memory of the single vineyards cuvées, only lacking some of the finesse of those. Long and intense, filled with lemon and dried ginger.
This was my first and I was duly impressed. I liked this 2017 villages Niellon pretty much as much as the Maltroie and Clos St Jean 2014 -- it lacked a bit of the nuance of those wines but made up for it with more depth and intensity.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

92 F today. With salmon tartare and simple salad of red/yellow pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and cheese, opened a 2019 Cazal Viel rosé. Less expensive than last night Coteaux-Varois, dryer, easier to drink, very easy... exactly what you need on that kind of day.

Nic

P.S. forecast tomorrow, sunny and 95 F!
sdr

Post by sdr »

Blanquito wrote:
jal wrote:
This was my first and I was duly impressed. I liked this 2017 villages Niellon pretty much as much as the Maltroie and Clos St Jean 2014 -- it lacked a bit of the nuance of those wines but made up for it with more depth and intensity.
I too have been trying the few ‘17s I can source locally and also like most of them.

The reputation of Niellon has been flagging for a number of years. Do you experts find them comparable to J. Carillon, Sauzet, Jadot for example?

Stu
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Good question, Stu. I’m certainly not expert on this topic but I have noticed the high scores William Kelly has given to many Niellon cuvees in recent vintages.
jal

Post by jal »

Stu,
The 2014 Niellon 1er were all terrific; the Chaumées Clos de la Truffière and the Vergers a little more austere and tense than the more opulent and tropical Champgains.
I have not tasted any 2015 and if I tasted 2016 I can't remember.
Of the 2017 I only tasted one bottle of the Champgains and thought it was awesome but need time, it had a bit more gun powder on the nose and I'm not usually a big fan of that but that will dissipate with age.

J. Carillon is a class above all in Puligny imo.
I find Jadot's 1er a bit boring tbh, so haven't bought them in a while. His Duc de Magenta Clos de la Garenne disappointed me the 3-4 times I had it. His GC are great, though, but I haven't had any in a few years.
I had a bunch of issues with Sauzet's wines being premoxed ten or so years ago and stopped buying them., I had one bottle I liked a year ago at a friend's house but details escape me.

Ian and Patrick can give more details
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ve had a bottle of the 2016 Niellon Truffliere and I was really impressed.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I am not very familiar with Jacques Carillon Jacques, seems a pretty high sticker price here, is it Champions League (as opposed to Premier League) quality?

As for Niellon I have drunk through through two cases of the 2014 1er Cru Vergers with enormous pleasure. Two bottles out of the last case were a tad darker and had light blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe, but the others were magnificent, especially the last four. I have another case of the 14 Vergers which I will start getting to work on later in the summer. The Truffiere has that extra bit of class. I drank through my 14s (sadly only a half case) but have a full case of 17 waiting in the wings.

Thanks to Jacques and Patrick for the enablement now my go to top end white burg producer.
jal

Post by jal »

Comte Flaneur wrote:I am not very familiar with Jacques Carillon Jacques, seems a pretty high sticker price here, is it Champions League (as opposed to Premier League) quality?
Ian, it is Champions League quality (as long as it's not Atletico Yawn Madrid playing)
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Tonight 2004 Forman Napa Cabernet, uber ripe and garish out of the blocks, but this settles down a little with some air. For my palate, this is a big, ripe wine infused with vanilla, mint, ink, iodine and cherries. There’s plenty of sweetness, lift, mixed with some acids and a touch of heat. My main thought is, what is this stuff? Forman was part of the old guard once upon a time, and I loved his cabs from the 80’s and early 90’s, but this is pretty much modernista swill. For sure there are many cali cabs far worse than this, but still.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Blanquito...

the 1995 is monumental...drank my last bottle last year.....spotted many of same ripe fruit characteristics bu no heat at all....more of a backwards wine than an upfront modernist swill as you refer to it....I think winemaking in California should revert to the style that we enjoyed from the 80's and 90's...i think Bordeaux is getting back to its roots and California will follow...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

brodway wrote:.I think winemaking in California should revert to the style that we enjoyed from the 80's and 90's...i think Bordeaux is getting back to its roots and California will follow...
I agree completely with this, and hope you’re right about the direction cali cabs are going...