What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Racer Chris

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by Racer Chris »

2009 Reserve de la Comtesse, served alongside pasta with homemade pesto sauce.
This is in a good place for drinking now. Maybe the $56 I paid was a bit steep, but I just bought it off the shelf a couple weeks ago and it is an excellent bottle of Pauillac.
Medium fruit intensity, with strawberry, cherry, blackberry and cassis. Good amount of acidity and tannins, a bit of pencil shaving, with some bitterness and bramble.
It must be good because my wife kept grabbing my glass. :)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2017 Jean Foillard Eponym Morgon: well made in the Foillard style. Cherries and red berries, kirsch, herbs, lively, very good. The price is a bit high.

2017 Mommession Beaujolais- Villages grandes mises: concentrated gamay, sweet red berries, flowers like iris, and geranium, with a good core on fruit and thick cherry skins flavors. Less freshness and elegance than the Morgon, more brutish, but very good anyhow, in that 94 F sunny day.

After all, it is just "fucking Beaujolais" like Jim would say.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night with mushroom pizza we drank Domaine Drouhin Laurene. Lucie liked this a lot. I think it is a very good Pinot Noir that has good balance and mouth feel, but it was more attractive before it shed its baby fruit. In general, I think it is time to let the 2015 Oregon PNs sleep. My guess is that the Laurene will be excellent in around five years.

For lunch yesterday and today I drank Chateau Puynormond, a 2016 Mantagne St-Emilion that I bought just to taste an unoaked 2016. Yesterday the wine was pretty harsh, but with 24 hours of air it has smoothed out considerably. This Lamarque wine is 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc. Lucie finds it too thin and tannic for cheese and crackers, but it goes well with my leftover pizza. "Like drinking unsweetened cranberry juice," Lucie comments, adding that older males should ask their wives how that tastes.
stefan

Post by stefan »

With a dinner of left over flatiron, spinach, and baked potato we drank 2002 Leoville Poyferre. Lucie commented on how much better than this is than the wine we drank at lunch. True, but why compare a second growth to a minor wine from a satellite appellation? Anyway, L-P is classically styled (apparently unlike later Poyferre, but this is the youngest one I have drunk) and balanced, but lacks the oomph of some and also needs more time to soften the tannins. The cassis is strong, the concentration is fine, the taste lingers, so I think this will be an excellent St Julien after being Blanquitoed once more.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Boy, the 02’s were soooo cheap. I got the Poyferre for $26 at PJ’s, according to my records.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Tonight with sockeye salmon, the 2015 Pepiere Clisson which is just wonderful. Steely and crystalline as always but with a bit more heft than is the norm. Better on day 2, so easy to drink, so food friendly. B+
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Drinking too much lately, a dinner with friends last night did not saved me.

2017 white Saumur, 2018 Chavy-Chouet Bourgogne blanc (lightly corked on the nose, not in mouth. but drinkable), 2017 Paul Mas Languedoc (very good), 2015 Chateau des Pins Côtes du Roussillon (very ripe and smoky).

2016 Chateau Capbern Gasqueton, i would say fabulous. Such a beautiful 2016, with lots of blackcurrants, minerals, flowers. The best bottle i had to now, i guess it was better than the 2014 Meyney...

Nic
marcs

Post by marcs »

2008 Chevillon Roncieres -- right out of the bottle at cellar temperature this was really nice, thicker, deeper, and more velvety than you would expect from a 2008 Burgundy and having a kind of California richness to it while still humming with Burgundy energy. However, as it got warmer it went somewhat out of balance and got a bit alcoholic/boozy on the back end. It never did have real precision of detail. Still quite good overall though, especially for the price I got it at as opposed to current Chevillon prices.

2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Montafi Ranch -- I was on Carlisle's list for a while and got a lot of their wines before figuring out that they were way too alcoholic and overdone for me. I now use them to give away to others and sometimes dip back into the stash myself, as for this bottle. Found this just unacceptably alcoholic and overconcentrated, with distinct flavors of raisins on the back end and an amarone-esque feel to it. Probably the worst wine I had (for my tastes at least) over this "quarantine" period.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Now Sipping Remoissenet St Romain Blanc 2014.
Chablis like acidity and minerality with citrus, honey, nuts and lanolin characters. Light to medium bodied with a very linear and long profile. Gets better as you drink it with persistence to burn. Wendy did not like it as me but I’ll happily gulp it down any day. 2014 is a great white Burgundy vintage - glad I bought half a pallet load of Remoissenet.
stefan

Post by stefan »

With sautéed quail, black rice, and broccoli we drank
1983 La Lagune. I regret opening this just before dinner because it improved as the night went on; in particular, the floral notes in the bouquet took some time to come out. The fruit is still there, although now it is dry rather than fresh. Overall the wine seems middle aged rather than old and still demands to be drunk with food. It would pair better with grilled quail than with the more delicate sautéed quail.

With a nectarine tart we drank
2003 Coutet (375). Golden hued and very sweet for a Coutet, but it has enough acid to go well with the tart. It tastes older than its age.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

For Father's Day we started with some Thai bang bang shrimp with a 2004 Pol Roger Champ followed by NY strip and my last bottle of 2007 Carlisle Papas block Syrah. Finished up with a berry creme brulee and a 2006 Ch Guirard sauterne. Now its nothing but salad, fish and chicken for the next week.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jacques complained that we have been drinking too much Oregon Pinot Noir, so tonight with turkey and mushroom in a white sauce over mashed potatoes we recalibrated with

2002 Jadot Domaine des Heritiers Corton. "Amazing!", exclaims Lucie on first sniff & pour. I agree. This wine has many layers even if it is mostly pure pinot with just a bit of road tar in the back and red raspberries mixed with the grapes. The finish is very long. This was one of the bargains among the Grand Crus that deserve to be Grand Crus. I guess it is a low production wine as it does not show up on WineSearcher Pro in any vintage. Jadot Corton does, and Jadot Domaine des Heritiers Corton Pouget does, but not Corton with Domaine des Heritiers outlined.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2015 Liquid Farm White Hill Chardonnay is just terrific tonight. Super bright, gooseberry bright almost, with lime and minerals and a kiss of vanilla, so fresh and clean and a wonderful value in New World chard. The attack is so crisp and intense, you almost miss the layers of (dry) fruit and substance. Long, tangy and delish.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Just for something different tonight with my red snapper with caramelized onion, I tried a 2017 Kongsgaard Chardonnay. While the femme enjoyed it, I was reminded for the 1000th time why I don’t like California Chardonnay. While the alcohol was almost under control, the burnt pineapple and bitter oak tannins were off putting to me. Never had a Liquid Farm, though.

Is the *worst* Burgundy blanc better than the *best* California Chardonnay (troll fishing)?

Stu
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

We had a Felton Road ‘Bannockburn’ 2011 Chardonnay yesterday - remarkably youthful. But it was an ordeal to drink because it was so powerful and concentrated.

Cheval Blanc 1970 was marvellous not quite as good as Tim’s 1975 magnum in 2015 but superb nonetheless even if it only has a few more years left

The Ausone 1970 we had to go with it turned out to be my ‘late’ bottle of Ausone 1970 so a Drouhin-Laroze Clos Bougeot 1970 came off the bench and was triumphant - all delicate translucent mature red burgundy and sous bois.

But the Cheval Blanc was wotn.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Drank a 2015 Carmes Haut Brion a few days ago. First ever try with that producer. Really interesting mix of ripe fruit, crispy acidity, gripping tannins, and a nice green streak. Not quite Sociando-ish, it’s riper than that, but still well balanced. Not screaming Pessac-Léognan either, probably due to the Merlot/Cab Franc-heavy cepage, but I liked it. Glad I have more from my recent local haul, and will look for the 2016, which is supposed to be even better, if it goes on sale there next year.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks David for that comment on the 2015 Carmes Haut Brion. I have some, how long would you wait before opening your next one?

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nic I would say that they’re plenty fun to drink now and there’s nothing wrong with doing that other than the lost opportunity to drink them with added complexity. That’s a high priority for me and since I have a bunch left I’ll check in again in 5 years. If I had only 2 or 3 I’d wait 10 years.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

s*d*r wrote:Just for something different tonight with my red snapper with caramelized onion, I tried a 2017 Kongsgaard Chardonnay. While the femme enjoyed it, I was reminded for the 1000th time why I don’t like California Chardonnay. While the alcohol was almost under control, the burnt pineapple and bitter oak tannins were off putting to me. Never had a Liquid Farm, though.

Is the *worst* Burgundy blanc better than the *best* California Chardonnay (troll fishing)?

Stu
If price weren’t a factor, I’d probably never bother drinking chardonnay outside of Burgundy. But price is a factor, so I dip my toe in new world chards and I’ve found a half dozen I really like. In addition to Liquid Farm, I like chardonnay from Wind Gap (often dirt cheap these days), Mount Eden, Rhys, Ridge, and Enfield. With the possible exception of Mount Eden, none of these get the nuance and intrigue of a really good white burgundy, but at the same time I don’t find any of these heavy, alcoholic, monolithic, etc. Rather, I find them bright, minerally, balanced, refreshing, food friendly, but comparatively speaking, a touch straightforward.

I hear other AFWE speak highly of Ceritas, but I haven’t tried one yet. I’ve not had the Oregon chardonnay epiphany yet either, but they’ve been getting lots of accolades for some time.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Blanquito wrote:
s*d*r wrote:Just for something different tonight with my red snapper with caramelized onion, I tried a 2017 Kongsgaard Chardonnay. While the femme enjoyed it, I was reminded for the 1000th time why I don’t like California Chardonnay. While the alcohol was almost under control, the burnt pineapple and bitter oak tannins were off putting to me. Never had a Liquid Farm, though.

Stu
If price weren’t a factor, I’d probably never bother drinking chardonnay outside of Burgundy. But price is a factor, so I dip my toe in new world chards and I’ve found a half dozen I really like. In addition to Liquid Farm, I like chardonnay from Wind Gap (often dirt cheap these days), Mount Eden, Rhys, Ridge, and Enfield. With the possible exception of Mount Eden, none of these get the nuance and intrigue of a really good white burgundy, but at the same time I don’t find any of these heavy, alcoholic, monolithic, etc. Rather, I find them bright, minerally, balanced, refreshing, food friendly, but comparatively speaking, a touch straightforward.

I hear other AFWE speak highly of Ceritas, but I haven’t tried one yet. I’ve not had the Oregon chardonnay epiphany yet either, but they’ve been getting lots of accolades for some time.
But a chardonnay like Mount Eden is like $50+, and you can still get solid white Burgundy premier crus or quality village lieu-dits for $60-70. Is the quality close enough that it's not worth the relatively small step up in price? I say this not having tried Mount Eden.

Also, re Chardonnay, has anyone tried the top New Zealand Chardonnays like Kumeu River? The London critics pitch that as competitive with Burgundy and it's similarly priced to the Chardonnays you mention

P.S. speaking of Chardonnay I tried one of the Aubert single vineyards, which are priced like top Burgundy premier crus or good Corton Charlemagne (three figures) and is supposed to be among the very best American Chardonnays, and it was GOD AWFUL. Gloppy, sweet, heavy, just yuk.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Good point, Mount Eden ain’t cheap. I’ve been lucky to load up on it from time to time around $40 on the secondary market. And I usually can get the others for ~$30.

But I’d be all-in on a good white burg that cost <$50, I just can’t seem to find them (outside the occasional deal).
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I like Cali Chard but it’s no substitute for white Burgundy. Guess I’m just not that discriminating.

Tonight a 2010 Beychevelle, one of the stash I just grabbed locally, is very nice. Just starting to show a little tertiary complexity and tobacco notes, nice balance, a refreshing green streak. Entering its drinking window with a promise of future improvement and a long life ahead.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
But I’d be all-in on a good white burg that cost <$50
>>

Well, I would say that there are many "good" Chablis, even 1er Cru, for less than $50. There are serviceable Macon for $20. At the REALLY good level, say, which rival lower level 1er Cru Meursault, Puligny, and Chassagne, I have the same question.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

As much as I love a great Chablis, it doesn’t provide the same thrill as a Meursault, Puligny or Chassagne for my palate. I’ve had much better luck with some closer satellite appellations like St Aubin and even Rully at getting something like a facsimile for Chassagne or Puligny.

But the white burg I’ve come across of late that gives the magic at close to the ~$50 marker is the 2017 Niellon Chassagne villages, but the best I can find that for is $58 (which is still very tempting). Liquid Farm on the other hand — which I just got some more of at $28.50 — is priced in a different league.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Blanquito
I posted a note about Chablis recently with the heading: "Les Miserables?"
The fundamental issue I have is that most Chablis now does not taste like any concept I have of Chablis.
Even GC's are often a poor imitation of what I look for.
Sometimes however a decent village wine like 2017 Jadot taste better than a GC from some producers.

If you don't want to pay a lot, I can vouch for the Remoissenet wines from the lesser appellations, especially the 2014's.
I import my own here but don't sell them commercially.
The Givry, St Romain and Pernand V are inexpensive (I mean around E10 cellar door) and are a very nice drink but of course, don;t expect a Montrachet.
jal

Post by jal »

I used to be on the Ceritas mailing list for a couple of years but cancelled in 2016. The Chardonnay are good but they are still California ripe without the intensity, focus and minerals of a good Burgundy village. I found them tiring.
I'd even buy regular 2017 Bourgogne blanc before any California Chardonnay.
2018 is in Burgundy is riper but still nothing like California. 2018 Chablis may be a good purchase; William Fevre, Louis Michel, PInson are easier on the wallet than Raveneau or Dauvissat.
Best

Jacques
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jal
2014 and 2017 are better for whites if you like acidity, minerality and length over roundness.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Blanquito wrote:As much as I love a great Chablis, it doesn’t provide the same thrill as a Meursault, Puligny or Chassagne for my palate. I’ve had much better luck with some closer satellite appellations like St Aubin and even Rully at getting something like a facsimile for Chassagne or Puligny.

But the white burg I’ve come across of late that gives the magic at close to the ~$50 marker is the 2017 Niellon Chassagne villages, but the best I can find that for is $58 (which is still very tempting). Liquid Farm on the other hand — which I just got some more of at $28.50 — is priced in a different league.
I got the 2016 Niellon C-M Clos Maltroie Premier Cru for $65 at auction, and per WInesearcher it is still available on pre-arrival at Vins Rares for that price. Not as good a white vintage as 2017 but that site did escape the 2016 frosts. Who knows it if is actually better than the base village but it is a step up the hierarchy. I do see a lot of white Burgundy 1ers to backfill in the $60-70 range at auctions. Then if you go to St Aubin you can definitely find them at $50. What seems definitively gone is the ability to get village wines in that $25 range.
Last edited by marcs on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Claudius2 wrote:Jal
2014 and 2017 are better for whites if you like acidity, minerality and length over roundness.
I actually like roundness in white Burgundy, as long as solid levels of acidity and lift are there. In my (limited) experience even the "round" white Burgundies will still have far better balance and minerality than new world whites. You can go too far in the acidity direction as well IMO.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I opened a 1996 Lynch Bages last night to go with a grilled rack of lamb. The lamb was great, the wine not so much. This was "soft" with no real structure, somewhat lacking in fruit, and lacked freshness. I had the same reaction to this wine when I last drank it 4 years ago. At that time, I thought it might just be an off bottle, but I now think this is just an off wine. And that is a bit surprising for a 1996 left bank of that reputation.
Claret

Post by Claret »

marcs wrote:
Blanquito wrote:
s*d*r wrote:
Stu

Also, re Chardonnay, has anyone tried the top New Zealand Chardonnays like Kumeu River? The London critics pitch that as competitive with Burgundy and it's similarly priced to the Chardonnays you mention
When I was ITB we were poured Kumeu River Mates Chard blind. It was very good in a Burgundian manner. Although this was 15+ years ago I recommend it.

Rhys can be outstanding although some early vintages have not aged well. There is lots to like from Oregon.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

I don't buy any CA Chardonnay, but I do drink St Innocent, Drouhin, and Goodfellow from Oregon. My order of preference is Goodfellow, Drouhin, St Innocent.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Re Kiwis the Felton Road Bannockburn was better on the second day but not a wine I would buy.

Kumeu River always does well in blind tastings against white burgundy. Everybody gets fooled. Until you sit down with a full bottle over an evening and you realise these wines are plodding/heavy in the saddle compared to fine white burgundy. Having said that the wine society Exhibition Kumeu River is good value at £17.99.

The best Kiwi Chardonnay, however, is Neudorf Moutere from Nelson.

My favourite Cali chards are Ceritas - but they need quite a bit of ageing, I still have some 2009 Porter Bass which are exquisite - and Rhys. I have decided I am going to do a Rhys tasting next week, on the 7th, rather than Beychevelle which I know pretty well.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2010 Marques de Caceres Rioja Reserva. We drink Spanish wine at home maybe once or twice a year. We should drink them more often as it is difficult to find a similarly priced Bordeaux that is as satisfying as this Rioja. Also, while still quite young and full of tannin, this wine is more accessible than 2010 Bordeaux.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Kumeu River always does well in blind tastings against white burgundy. Everybody gets fooled. Until you sit down with a full bottle over an evening and you realise these wines are plodding/heavy in the saddle compared to fine white burgundy. Having said that the wine society Exhibition Kumeu River is good value at £17.99.
This is an interesting point about wines in the blind tasting context. It's why I only really trust the test of sitting with a wine over an evening. The second glass of a wine is where you learn a lot about how drinkable and appetizing it actually is, as opposed to just its initial palate impact. In my experience this "plodding heavy" quality is also a big deal with California Pinots as opposed to Burgundy

The one problem is that selecting a collection for irresistibly drinkable wines means you have a tendency to overindulge when you open a bottle...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Blanquito wrote:2015 Liquid Farm White Hill Chardonnay is just terrific tonight. Super bright, gooseberry bright almost, with lime and minerals and a kiss of vanilla, so fresh and clean and a wonderful value in New World chard. The attack is so crisp and intense, you almost miss the layers of (dry) fruit and substance. Long, tangy and delish.
Finishing the second half of the bottle tonight, and if anything I’m liking this even more now. Still defined by its acids, but the nuance of the fruit has emerged with distinct notes of white tea, ginger, musk flowers and sultanas now to go with all the lime. Shows a wonderful combo of zest and depth. Really good. Nothing remotely cloying, boozy or heavy here.
Claret

Post by Claret »

stefan wrote:2010 Marques de Caceres Rioja Reserva. We drink Spanish wine at home maybe once or twice a year. We should drink them more often as it is difficult to find a similarly priced Bordeaux that is as satisfying as this Rioja. Also, while still quite young and full of tannin, this wine is more accessible than 2010 Bordeaux.
In my early wine days I drank a lot of Spanish wines, less so today. Caceres was a staple.
Glenn
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

marcs wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote: Kumeu River always does well in blind tastings against white burgundy. Everybody gets fooled. Until you sit down with a full bottle over an evening and you realise these wines are plodding/heavy in the saddle compared to fine white burgundy. Having said that the wine society Exhibition Kumeu River is good value at £17.99.
This is an interesting point about wines in the blind tasting context. It's why I only really trust the test of sitting with a wine over an evening. The second glass of a wine is where you learn a lot about how drinkable and appetizing it actually is, as opposed to just its initial palate impact. In my experience this "plodding heavy" quality is also a big deal with California Pinots as opposed to Burgundy

The one problem is that selecting a collection for irresistibly drinkable wines means you have a tendency to overindulge when you open a bottle...
I have taken a shine to another kiwi white this time a Seresin Sauvignon Blanc 2011, another remarkably young wine. It is a fine aperitif with its cacophony of bright tropical fruits. It is a nice pick me up, but only one glass at a time. One a day.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight with bison & beef meat loaf we drank 2009 La Tour Carnet. As in some other GCC 2009 left bankers, the tannins are strong but pretty soft. The basic Bdx flavors go well with meat loaf. The oak is not completely integrated but does not overshadow the fruit. It is OK to drink this now, but for my taste it will be better in five years and maybe better still in ten.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm a fan of this property.