What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

JCNorthway

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by JCNorthway »

I had a few 2007's that I thought were reasonably balanced and enjoyable. However, there was one that was over-the-top oak - Grand Veneur regular bottling. My note upon opening a bottle at age 10 - "Overly oaked, badly out of balance." I opened another bottle a few months back and a similar initial reaction. I did find that several hours in a decanter reduced the oak somewhat. So I've decided the remaining 3 bottles will rest until at least age 15 to see if more time helps to resolve the oak issue.

And regarding "pruney," I'm with Blanquito.
jckba

Post by jckba »

2014 Domaine de la Pépière Château Thébaud "Clos des Morines": Crystal clear aroma’s of lemon, tangerine and seashell that lead to a juicy, lively mineral and stone driven palate that is both mouthwatering and leaves you wanting another sip. 94
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Arv, I think you’re right about the luxe cuvées. Most amp it up too far for my palate.
I actually prefer a simple, honest Côtes du Rhônes to those monsters.
I thought I sold all my 2007 Usseglio but apparently that one bottle was a stowaway.
The Beaucastel was a disappointment but better than the mon Aieul.
Jon, I think time may well help that oak to integrate.

A 2009 Meyney tonight was more like it. Showing well but young still.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ended the fast early as a few tastings have been scheduled...

Tonight, I am thoroughly enjoying the 2012 Louis Roederer Brut Champagne. Probably too rich for the ultra brut and nature crowd and the BdBs lovers might like brighter fizz, but I think this is fantastic. Nice fruit forward attack, but then it’s all business of the mid palate and finish. Minerally and intense. Terrific long, mouth-coating finish. Irresistible.

Do they even make bad champagne anymore? Seriously, it all seems so high quality to me, and then it boils down to which style you prefer.
jckba

Post by jckba »

2006 Pierre Usseglio Mon Aieul Chateauneuf du Pape: An insanely aromatic nose full of fig, blackberry, raspberry, licorice, cinnamon and garrigue scents that lead to a juicy, seamless palate that is blackberry and garrigue driven and turns to lavender on the long pleasing finish. No heat, no prunes, no sweetness; just pure goodness. 97
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Blanquito
I have some of the 2012 LR must try it soon.
In relation to bad champagne, the Grands Marques rarely make "bad" champagne, it is just that some are better than the others.
It is however rare I try a faulty or unpleasant champagne, though we sometimes get supermarket or Internet seller brands that are pretty ordinary and have little identifiable flavour.
Yet I will often pick them up cheap as an experiment. Most are no more than half the price of a decent NV (LR, Bolly, Billecart, etc) though I suppose you do get what you pay for.
These brands seem to change regularly, though some very ordinary wines I have tried in the last few yrs include:

Comte de Noiron Brut and BdB.
William de Montez Brut
Chateau de Bligny Brut
Veuve de Bellay Brut
Adrien Chopin Brut
Bichat Brut and Rose'

All of these were at least drinkable, but none were even close to an average Grands Marques. However, I have had $10 Australian sparklers that were just as good as any, and better than Bichat or Comte Noiron.

I could probably think of a few better known brands that I am not so fond of, but they are not "bad", just not to my palate.
A few that can be disappointing to me are Pommery, Mumm and Veuve Cliquot. Although VC is part of LVMH, it is a lighter style.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jckba wrote:2006 Pierre Usseglio Mon Aieul Chateauneuf du Pape: An insanely aromatic nose full of fig, blackberry, raspberry, licorice, cinnamon and garrigue scents that lead to a juicy, seamless palate that is blackberry and garrigue driven and turns to lavender on the long pleasing finish. No heat, no prunes, no sweetness; just pure goodness. 97
That sounds like a bottle of the 2010 I had a few months ago JC. Really packed and delicious with plenty of ripe fruit balanced by acidity that the 2007 lacked. A touch port-y but not over the top for me, though I’m sure it would be for the strict traditionalist.

Last night a 2009 Rostaing Côte Rôtie Côte Blonde. Purchased 2016, perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Nose a bit reductive and shy at first, but opens up nicely after an hour with a complex mix of dark fruits, leather, game, smoke. Medium body, ripe lush fruit good acidity and tannins , it’s well balanced, medium-long finish. Excellent stuff, should drink well for at least another decade.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Now drinking Billecart Salmon NV Brut Reserve.
Always a favorite with lots of baked apple, citrus and brioche with a touch of nuts and honey.
This bottle has been in a wine fridge for some years and shows the honeyed complexity that comes with age rather than citrus. Rich and flavoursome with a touch of sweetness.
AKR

Post by AKR »

DavidG wrote:
jckba wrote:2006 Pierre Usseglio Mon Aieul Chateauneuf du Pape: An insanely aromatic nose full of fig, blackberry, raspberry, licorice, cinnamon and garrigue scents that lead to a juicy, seamless palate that is blackberry and garrigue driven and turns to lavender on the long pleasing finish. No heat, no prunes, no sweetness; just pure goodness. 97
That sounds like a bottle of the 2010 I had a few months ago JC. Really packed and delicious with plenty of ripe fruit balanced by acidity that the 2007 lacked. A touch port-y but not over the top for me, though I’m sure it would be for the strict traditionalist.

Last night a 2009 Rostaing Côte Rôtie Côte Blonde. Purchased 2016, perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Nose a bit reductive and shy at first, but opens up nicely after an hour with a complex mix of dark fruits, leather, game, smoke. Medium body, ripe lush fruit good acidity and tannins , it’s well balanced, medium-long finish. Excellent stuff, should drink well for at least another decade.
We had an 03 Rostaing Ampodium Cote Rotie back during the winter, and it was a bit disappointing, with a kind of vulcanized rubber note. I'd saved that for so long and was so disappointed. I love the hot 2003 vintage in the NoRho and it was one of the first disappointing ones. Very few are left now....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Claudius2 wrote:A few that can be disappointing to me are Pommery, Mumm and Veuve Cliquot. Although VC is part of LVMH, it is a lighter style.
Yes, I hadn’t though about Mumm and Pommery in a while, both are indeed mediocre at best.

Veuve Cliquot used to be my go domaine in the 90s, but quality sure did fall apart after that. I’ve heard folks saying it’s getting better again though?
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Yuengling with Maryland Crabs!!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

AKR wrote:
DavidG wrote:

We had an 03 Rostaing Ampodium Cote Rotie back during the winter, and it was a bit disappointing, with a kind of vulcanized rubber note. I'd saved that for so long and was so disappointed. I love the hot 2003 vintage in the NoRho and it was one of the first disappointing ones. Very few are left now....
The 09 Côte Blonde had a whiff of burnt rubber on opening but it didn’t persist.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I’ve been drinking a lot more single malt scotch over wine this past month or so. Been hanging out at the beach a lot. Warm days and cool ocean breezes, brine and seaweed in the air, and Alfert is thinking of Islay.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ardbeg? Caol Ila?
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I’m out in Colorado again (finally) and have been enjoying easy drinking Avery Ellie’s Brown Ale. Other than that, 2019 Miraval Rose, 2019 Mordoree Dame Rousse Rose, 2013 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese, etc. All very nice.

Chris Bublitz
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

In the hot weather, not drinking much red wine. Last 3 weeks, only 3 bottles: 2012 Louis Latour Corton Grancey, 2015 St Innocent Temperance Hill and 2005 La Croix St Georges. All three were excellent and was particularly impressed by the low end Pomerol which punched above its class.

Lots of Champagne consumed this summer - always seems to put me in a good mood.

Chris Bublitz
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Another hot day here so had to drink a white.
2016 Albert Morot Beaune Aignots 1er Cru Blanc.
Rich yellow gold color with nose of citrus, pineapple and stone fruit with some nutty complexity.
Masses of ripe fruit on the palate showing tropical fruit - mango, pineapple and lime plus honey and cashew nuts. Good acid cleanses the palate. Changed considerably with air.
A rich white Burgundy that isn’t a classic style though is quit delicious.
Yet it tastes a lot like Cape Mentelle Margaret River Chardonnay.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I opened my last bottle of 1999 Livio Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino Pertimali. I was not sure what to expect from a 21 year old Brunello, but was pleasantly surprised. It still had a very nice amount of fresh red fruit, and with the soft tannins, this made for a very nice pairing with a spicy veal chop dish. I had been reticent to open this bottle for several years, fearing it was past being enjoyable. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2013 Ridge Lytton Springs with Margherita pizza. Good enough, but lacks the excitement and depth of the excellent Lytton Springs Zinfandels. The fruit has receded and secondary characteristics are not developed enough to replace the fruit.
Last edited by stefan on Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

stefan wrote:2013 Ridge Lytton Springs with Margherita pizza. Good enough, but lacks the excitement and depth of the excellent Lytton Springs Zinfandels. The fruit has receded and secondary characteristics are not development enough to replace the fruit.
I thought Ridge Lytton Springs Zins were supposed to age well, is that not true?

Stu
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
stefan

Post by stefan »

They do, Stuart, or at least they used to. I think the 2013 will age well, but now it is in that awkward phase when the big fruit it had as a youngster is gone but the wine has not yet developed much complexity. My guess is that the 2013 will not become one of the outstanding LS in spite of the favorable reviews it got from critics, but only time will tell.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Blanquito
I find it hard to generalize about NV for the obvious reason that it varies yr to yr but you can’t pick when it was made.
I’d say in the 80s and 90s that VC was pretty good and often Moet NV was rather bland.
Maybe it is corporate positioning but I think Moet is now pretty reliable in a fresh citrusy style that has commercial appeal.
I quite like it these days but don’t ever rate it as highly as several others. I suppose when LVMH makes so much of it, the style has to be agreeable to a big market.
So maybe VC has been positioned as a different style - not a fresh and fruity style but leaner and drier.
Yet I drank a few VC earlier this year that were from airport duty free - a gift from a guest - and it was disappointing.
Similarly at the big NV tasting last year, it was the lowest ranked wine in its flight and some non- French sparklers were ranked above it (and frankly the tasting confirmed that such sparklers were generally bland).
My most recent bottle of Mumm showed better than I’d remembered, but not well enough for me to buy more.
In any event I have plenty of NV in the wine fridges to last for some time.
Cheers Mark
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

This week I have 3 vintages of Larose-Trintaudon in my kitchen wine fridge at once, all classified as "most drinkable" based on my application of the Cellartracker "Ready to Drink" feature.
On Tuesday Mary opened a bottle of 2011 when she had a friend over, and tonight I finished it with my dinner (while she's in a zoom meeting). So that she won't notice the loss, I pulled the cork on a bottle of 2012 and stuck the green wine stopper in it like she had in the '11. :) I also drank a glass of the 2012, since I still had a little Butternut ravioli left after polishing off the '11. Before dinner I was moving wine from the cellar to the kitchen and added a 2010 L-T to the mix. I expect that the '10 will be opened as the 2012 is being finished, this weekend.
The 2011 is very enjoyable and easy to drink right now, and the pnp first glass of 2012 isn't far behind.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2018 Domaine Drouhin Arthur Chardonnay with halibut. This Dundee Hills is well made, which is not surprising given who is in charge. This is attractive for current drinking, but I hope to keep a few bottles to see if it gains complexity. The label's claim, "Arthur shows great freshness and balance" is accurate, and I hope the continuation "and has considerable aging potential" is also.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I opened a 1995 Grand Puy Lacoste last night, and it was fantastic. Beauty, savory, cool-fruited cabernet, but in no way austere. Tannins resolved, leafy aromatics, smooth and delicious. This has improved a lot since my last bottle ~4 years ago and today it is brilliant stuff, the quintessence of old school cabernet. Already terrific, but if more bottle age unleashes further depth here, this wine could become a legend.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight 1990 Haut-Batailley reminded me why I love Pauillac so much. By BWE standards H-B is a little wine, and this one would not win any votes at a tasting, but it is what Pauillac is all about—pencil lead in the cassis, some licorice and coffee, tannins that stand up to steak (although we had grilled lamb chops), ... I should have bought multiple cases of this on release, when it was cheap enough to drink as a house wine. In case you have some, there is no need to Blanquito it.
AKR

Post by AKR »

stefan wrote:Tonight 1990 Haut-Batailley reminded me why I love Pauillac so much. By BWE standards H-B is a little wine, and this one would not win any votes at a tasting, but it is what Pauillac is all about—pencil lead in the cassis, some licorice and coffee, tannins that stand up to steak (although we had grilled lamb chops), ... I should have bought multiple cases of this on release, when it was cheap enough to drink as a house wine. In case you have some, there is no need to Blanquito it.
I used to enjoy various vintages of H-B during the 90s, especially the lighter 97's, which was more joyful than its modest score. I haven't caught up to their wines in a long time though. Great to hear about the older ones.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 1989 Haut Batailley was also a winner and a great QPR, I recall.
Last edited by Blanquito on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I agree, Patrick. I used to drink Haut-Batailley and D'Armailhac often. My preference was for D'Armailhac, but both were reliable in decent vintages and pleasurable earlier than other good classified Pauillac. The longevity of Haut-Batailley is an added plus, not that I have drunk many that were 30 years old.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

After a long run, I think the 1982 Haut Batailley is starting a down hill slide. Still drinkable but fading away. Not bad for a dirt cheap Bordeaux.

Chris Bublitz
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I order some 2019 GPL today. And some La Lagune as well.

Maybe i should add some Haut Batailley...

Dinner with JeanFred tonight, we had fun with... Bourgogne!

Nic
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Just finished Marc Morey Beaune 1er Cru Teurons 2005.
I just love this vintage. Very dark color like a Cab Sav rather than PN.
Exotic nose with dark fruits, tobacco, rhubarb and French oak.
Palate is full and round with good mouthfeel and viscosity. There is lots of cassis, dark cherry and redcurrant fruit meshed with good acidity and rather firm oak. On the back palate there are savory, herbal characters and spicy oak.
The wine had a long aftertaste and really fills the mouth. Quite delicious.
So far I’d rate 2005 as the best Burgundy vintage of my life. Okay there are plenty of other good vintages but 2005 was great across the region - though 07 and 08 were better for whites.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night with grilled flat iron we drank 1999 Leoville-Barton. It has reached maturity and is typical for L-B in a decent vintage, which is to say it is very good, with a solid core of licorice soaked fruit and well balanced.

This morning with healthful eggs Benedict we drank 2008 Bollinger. Like many other houses, Bollinger did a great job in 2008, although Cristal and Dom Perignon are better, and it drinks very well already.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

stefan wrote: This morning with healthful eggs Benedict we drank 2008 Bollinger. Like many other houses, Bollinger did a great job in 2008, although Cristal and Dom Perignon are better, and it drinks very well already.
Stefan and lucie: our own BWE international heroes!

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Yesterday with friends on as splendid a summer evening as I can recall, we enjoyed a pitch-perfect 2014 Neillon Vergers (merci, Jacques!), a delicious and ready-to-go 2007 Taittinger Comtes Bdb, an enchanting old wine 1966 red burgundy (I didn't note the producer), a wonderful 1990 Figeac, and a few others.

Terrific food, wine and company... almost made the world seem whole again.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had a split of 03 Branaire Ducru with meatloaf + mushroom gravy, broccoli, and boiled rigatoni. This bottle was a touch underwhelming compared to another a few months ago. I have not observed all that much bottle variation with Branaire personally. More sediment that expected too.

Midweek meatloaf is always a good time to use up half bottles for us.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

A 2010 Beychevelle a few nights ago and a 2009 Meyney tonight. Both excellent, solid Bdx in early maturity
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2018 Chateau Sainte-Marie vieilles vignes Entre-Deux-Mers, very satisfying sauvignon, mineral, light, fruity, a song.

2018 Chavy-Chouet Bourgogne aligoté, i think this has more character and personnality than their white Bourgogne. Excellent.

2018 Domaine d'Aupilhac Cocalières white, fat, aromatic, complex, light bitterness, white flesh fruit, almonds, mint, with some classicism like Hermitage, but it is a Languedoc...

Michel Couvreur Cap a Pie, young and violet, xeres nut, apricots, caramel, long warm final with (believe it or not) some serenity. To try back in a few days.

Nic
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

2016 Ch. Haura, Graves.
A Denis Dubordieu wine.
Blanquito

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?0

Post by Blanquito »

Had a excellent bottle of the 1970 La Lagune last night. This bottle had an incredible fill into the neck and it showed very fresh for a 50 year old wine. There was a lovely bouquet of smoke, funk, lead pencil, leather and earthy cherries. Totally smooth and resolved, but with great persistence and length. Surprising levels of fruit, body and sweetness. Came across more like a Pauillac than anything else. I’ve got one more from the same lot, I’ll save for our next convention.