What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

DavidG

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by DavidG »

AKR wrote:
OrlandoRobert wrote:Just popped another 2000 Chateau Sociando Mallet. Most excellent. While this vintage of SM has some variability - some bottles have been too green even for my Yak Chinon palate - this bottle sings. Amazingly red fruited and sandy for a solar vintage. Tastes like it was made in a made in a barn, soil-to-glass transfer. Delish.
In an affront to suave sommeliers everywhere, I had an 03 Sociando Mallet last night with spaghetti in a tomato/meat/fennel meat sauce. The wine was as good as it ever was, and I finished a half bottle in an hour and change! I love that sunny, dry year.
And in an affront to acolytes of aged Bordeaux, with a reverse-seared ribeye we had a 2014 Sociando. Drinking well, but more cellar time will make it better.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Yesterday - 2014 Ch. Labegorce. One person's description, "Yummy!"
Today - 1989 Ch. Haut Marbuzet. I'm really digging this bottle. Only one glass left for dinner.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm, Labegorce + 2014... yes, I can certainly see where that would be yummy.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

1988 La Gurgue
So good. Beautiful old-school bouquet of leather, cranberries, cedar. Classic. The palate is undeniably lean, but this is otherwise fantastic, replete with lead pencil, earthy notes, great brightness, and a long lingering finish. This wine — which I bought less than 3 years ago for $35 (with a fill into the neck) — is laughing at the 2009 Leoville Poyferre in all its ridiculousness.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The highlight of the week end was an impeccable bottle of Ch. D’Issan 1985, which was nigh on perfect, with Margaux berries in full bloom, it was so poised and complex. One of my wines of the year and as good as the bottle of Ch.Talbot 1966 I drank in May.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The 2020 wall of fame
93A2D4C3-54CC-412A-A61F-11F4CDC0B674.jpeg
93A2D4C3-54CC-412A-A61F-11F4CDC0B674.jpeg (239.61 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

2014 Ch.Meyney
Another great bottle. No sign of shutting down.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had a classic, balanced, lovely bottle of the 2001 Monsanto Il Poggio Riserva last night. It was just so comfortable being what it is, not straining nor caring about trends or points. Perhaps not quite at peak, just a nice bottle of high acid wine to go with Italian cuisine.
jckba

Post by jckba »

2005 Bertagna Les Murgers NSG 1er - nose more interesting than the palate but this was not bad but not good either and just uninspired and lacking in overall expression. 88
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2014 Ch.Meyney
Another great bottle. No sign of shutting down.
I almost pulled one of those off my shelf but I need to hold off on those 238 bottles of 2014s in my cellar until I hit my 70s.
That 2014 Malartic Lagraviere last night was borderline spectacular. Wow.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2014 is a 1988 repeat, except even better.

Fitting, because 1988 kicked off another epic three-vintage run, just like 2014-16.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just can't go crazy enough about 2014, on BOTH banks.
If you see them on the shelves or in the market, buy, buy, buy!

This is an enormously underrated vintage.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2001 Ridge Lytton Springs... Just terrific. In a great, great spot right now, open and giving, but it’s still vigorous and only just showing a secondary profile. Sweet without any sweetness, built now more around its minty freshness than its brambly fruit. Delicious scents of blackberries, lavender, and menthol. Last bottle, so wish I had more.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2001 was an excellent vintage for Ridge, but all of ours are gone.

Tonight we'll drink Burgundy with our Mystery Guests, who will stay until Monday.

(To Be Continued)
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Jadot Estournelles St Jacques 2009

Best, most floral and perfumed nose on a burg that I have had in a long time. Drank well too, open for business. My guess is that the palate will improve over 5 years, however may lose a little of this amazing nose. Great fruit, smooth and just starting to develop secondary notes.

Had this in December 2019 burg dinner courtesy of Marcs and it was almost as good as this bottle, with PNP, we decided to decant the rest. Prefer it straight out of the bottle for sure. Great with 30-60 minutes in glass.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Grand Puy Lacoste 2017: Distinctive floral, perfumed nose. Surprisingly light bodied initially but opened up and filled out in time. Long, lingering finish, cassis and cranberries(?), nicely balanced. Good, but didn't hint at being special.

Château Esperance de Trotanoy 2014: Chocolate, raisins, full bodied, rich and opulent. Stewed fruits prevalent, big and succulent with a sweet finish. Bit of a head scratcher though as it didn't seem as integrated as it could have been, and overall, not what I was expecting.

Château Castera 2015: Decent quaffer, if on the light to medium bodied side.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

1986 Ch. Talbot, with cheeseburgers on garlic toast, roasted brussels sprouts, and roasted carrots.
Double decanted a couple hours before dinner.
Excellent bottle from start to finish.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
Funny I thought 2014 was a modern 1996 with a little more fruit intensity.

Just finished a 2014 Marques Riscal Rioja Riserva.
I have had this wine several times and this was the best bottle so far.
Previous bottles were more oaky and grainy but this was like a mid level Burgundy in texture with red and black fruit, a musky slightly spicy character and old oak. Moderate tannins and acid with quite good length and balance.

Yesterday a 2009 Domaine Maltroye Chassagne Montrachet Rouge 1er Cru Clos St Jean.
Lovely fragrant and minerally red. More developed than I have tasted (drank 9 already) with a smoky red fruit nose and long palate with redcurrants and cherry meshed with crisp acidity and fine tannins. Long and cool with medium intensity. Excellent wine.
marcs

Post by marcs »

JoelD wrote:Jadot Estournelles St Jacques 2009

Best, most floral and perfumed nose on a burg that I have had in a long time. Drank well too, open for business. My guess is that the palate will improve over 5 years, however may lose a little of this amazing nose. Great fruit, smooth and just starting to develop secondary notes.

Had this in December 2019 burg dinner courtesy of Marcs and it was almost as good as this bottle, with PNP, we decided to decant the rest. Prefer it straight out of the bottle for sure. Great with 30-60 minutes in glass.
Definitely remember that dinner! The 2009 Jadot Estournelles was a real standout. Here is the writeup of the dinner:

https://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com ... 64&p=77669

And here is my note on that wine:
1999 and 2009 Jadot Estournelles St Jacques -- the 1999 was rather pedestrian in a "generic aged Burgundy" kind of way, some dirty/moldy flavors but reasonable fruit still present. The 2009 on the other hand was full of kinky exotic fruit right from the first pour, 2009 all over and generally fantastic. It got more "civilized" as the evening went on but always had great density and texture. One of those wines where you don't know whether to drink it today for the fruit or age it more to see what happens
The 2009 was quite a surprise for staid old Jadot, wild and terrific. I have two more bottles left, not sure when to drink them. Also have four bottles left of 2009 Jadot Suchots which, while somewhat less exotic, also had that gorgeous 2009 fruit combined with good Burgundy structure. Going to be an interesting dilemma when to drink the 2009s, at 10-15 years old on the fruit or what to see what happens at 20+ years.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

1986 Joël Taluau Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil Vieilles Vignes
Gosh, my palate sure has changed through the years. I probably wouldn’t have liked this even 5 years ago, but tonight with a steak, I am digging this (the low price doesn’t hurt). Super green, capsicum-filled bouquet redolent with green bell pepper, black peppercorns, unsweetened cranberries, celery stalk, and woodsmoke. The palate is light and bright, but avoids dilution and is super intense and grippy from the pyrazines and bight acids. Despite the light color and fruit, there is enough glycerin to give this a layered mouthfeel and the finish is drying and medium-long. So food friendly. Too one-note to really go crazy over and the green-phobic would detest this wine, but I very much enjoy.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

marcs wrote:
JoelD wrote:Jadot Estournelles St Jacques 2009

Definitely remember that dinner! The 2009 Jadot Estournelles was a real standout. Here is the writeup of the dinner:

https://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com ... 64&p=77669

And here is my note on that wine:
1999 and 2009 Jadot Estournelles St Jacques -- the 1999 was rather pedestrian in a "generic aged Burgundy" kind of way, some dirty/moldy flavors but reasonable fruit still present. The 2009 on the other hand was full of kinky exotic fruit right from the first pour, 2009 all over and generally fantastic. It got more "civilized" as the evening went on but always had great density and texture. One of those wines where you don't know whether to drink it today for the fruit or age it more to see what happens
The 2009 was quite a surprise for staid old Jadot, wild and terrific. I have two more bottles left, not sure when to drink them. Also have four bottles left of 2009 Jadot Suchots which, while somewhat less exotic, also had that gorgeous 2009 fruit combined with good Burgundy structure. Going to be an interesting dilemma when to drink the 2009s, at 10-15 years old on the fruit or what to see what happens at 20+ years.
Such a great wine. Considering that I thought it lost a step with a decant, I wouldn't save bottles for more than 3-5 years since it is so beautiful now. I have one more bottle that I will probably wait a couple years on unless I get lucky and find more at a good price. Got these for about $113 all in.

That was a great night, great wines and great company. Hopefully we can all do something again soon, I will send out an email/post on bwe for one.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

2015 Delas Les Launes Crozes-Hermitage
A nice wine but needs food. Nose is savoury and dry showing tobacco, a touch of spice and white pepper and dark fruits. Old French oak evident but in the background. Medium bodied with moderate acidity and a little attenuated. Good but not as good as expected. The nose is better than the palate which is too short and finishes slightly bitter.
AKR

Post by AKR »

d
Last edited by AKR on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Claudius2 wrote:2015 Delas Les Launes Crozes-Hermitage
A nice wine but needs food. Nose is savoury and dry showing tobacco, a touch of spice and white pepper and dark fruits. Old French oak evident but in the background. Medium bodied with moderate acidity and a little attenuated. Good but not as good as expected. The nose is better than the palate which is too short and finishes slightly bitter.
hmmm. monster vintage for crozes in 2015 sounds like should have been better.

although I didn't get excited by Les Launes in either 06 or 09
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Enjoying the second half of an 01 Monsanto Il Poggio Riserva. Bright, mentholated, layered, long, well balanced, ready. Very good.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2015 St Innocent Momtazi. I was afraid that it would be closed, but no, the berry nose is there and the fruit is good. No Momtazi dustiness yet.
Last edited by stefan on Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Arv
Yeah this was one of those wines that is nothing special but at least tastes like a Rhône. I don’t think it will improve much so it looks more impressive than it tastes. Nice package just an okay wine. I have had it a few times before and I thought it was better previously.

Tonight drank 2017 Oakridge Yarra Valley Vineyard Series Cab Sav.
Another okay wine getting bored with them. A lighter wetter vintage and 13% alc. nose showed savory herby notes, some cassis, red currant and mint. Oak in the background. Lightish palate that offers medium acid and soft tannins but just comes across as rather plain and lacking persistence and intensity. I need to open something more intriguing as the wines over the last week or two have been no more than okay. Or maybe I’ve just lost my palate after too many medical treatments, anaesthetics and pills lately.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Pooped a 2009 Dominus and enjoyed over a several hour long dinner. A beautiful Napa Cab, while a big wine for sure, it was certainly balanced, with its 14.5 ABV totally in check.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

OrlandoRobert wrote: :lol: Pooped :lol: a 2009 Dominus and enjoyed over a several hour long dinner.
I hope you drank it first. Probably tastes even better than Miralax.

Stu
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Lol! Oops, rhymes with . . .
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

OrlandoRobert wrote:Pooped a 2009 Dominus and enjoyed over a several hour long dinner. A beautiful Napa Cab, while a big wine for sure, it was certainly balanced, with its 14.5 ABV totally in check.
LOL, I’ll quote this too, but not for the typo. Because it’s the perfect description of the 2005 Larcis Ducasse I popped last night: "A beautiful Napa Cab, while a big wine for sure, it was certainly balanced, with its 14.5 ABV totally in check."
jckba

Post by jckba »

2018 Pascal Cotat Sancerre ‘Les Monts Damnés’; a fragrant nose with white florals, peach, lemon zest and a stony minerality that lead to a similarly flavored palate that is rich and expansive with a long, creamy, saline finish. 93+
AKR

Post by AKR »

OrlandoRobert wrote:Pooped a 2009 Dominus and enjoyed over a several hour long dinner. A beautiful Napa Cab, while a big wine for sure, it was certainly balanced, with its 14.5 ABV totally in check.
I had its baby brother the 09 Napanook some years ago, and it also was very good.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

1980 Figeac:

Ash, cinders tobacco, compost, forest floor, undergrowth and wet soil, mushroom with some residual berry fruit - goji berries (MEK). The middle part of the bottle has more ash, but with coal, schist, granite and gravelly notes. It has a fabulous texture and decent length on the palate. The bottom third had saline and ultra marine notes. A beautiful, terroir-expressive, complex, ever evolving and enthralling wine, and a fully mature Figeac, which is a rare commodity.
242A2BDE-1680-4B78-B7B8-5E209D8DCCDC.jpeg
242A2BDE-1680-4B78-B7B8-5E209D8DCCDC.jpeg (76.19 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had a stellar 2004 Delamotte BdB last night. As good as any bubbly I’ve had this year, with the exception of the 02 Rare.

Plus a wonderful, pitch perfect 1983 Lynch Bages and a young but excellent 2000 Gaja Sperss.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Had a 2010 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d'Abruzzo on Friday night. When we are in Umbria, we have a wine guy in Spello who always has Pepe at goofy low prices. Lisa wanted one here so we had to pay a little more. Spectacularly good if you like that sort of thing. Loads of red fruits, complex and long, super tasty, will be better 10 years from now. A treat.

Tonight, a 2002 Jadot Clos des Ursules. Very good, very straightforward. Not complex but complete. Satisfying.

Tomorrow, for our wedding anniversary, a 2002 Dom. We have a lot of very nice 2002s ;)

SF Ed
Last edited by SF Ed on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Happy Anniversary Ed!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Happy anniversary, Lisa and Ed. I am sure that you will enjoy the 2002 Dom.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote:1980 Figeac:

Ash, cinders tobacco, compost, forest floor, undergrowth and wet soil, mushroom with some residual berry fruit - goji berries (MEK). The middle part of the bottle has more ash, but with coal, schist, granite and gravelly notes. It has a fabulous texture and decent length on the palate. The bottom third had saline and ultra marine notes. A beautiful, terroir-expressive, complex, ever evolving and enthralling wine, and a fully mature Figeac, which is a rare commodity.
Sounds wonderful, Ian. My kinda wine for sure. I had a 1970 Figeac a few years ago with the NYC crowd that was a truly magical, transcendent wine and your 1980 sounds quite similar.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Well not really in lockdown - Bobby Goulet and I were at a Tour de France party (well, just five us us cyclists) - and we knocked down a handful of bottles, including:

2000 Chateau Magdelaine
2001 Chateau d’Issan

The Magdelaine was excellent, but I still feel like it needs more time, still a tad tight. The d’Issan was wide open for business, really good.