What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

JoelD

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by JoelD »

Happy anniversary Sf Ed, that 02 Dom was singing last year when I brought it to a dinner after la Paulee tastings in Ny, 1 more bottle I'm waiting on.

Opened some fun ones for a last minute belated bday tasting with one of my good friends.
NV Gaston Chiquet Brut Tradition- Awesome, perfectly aged and balanced. Rich and creamy but good acid and fruit. Jan 2017 dis out of 375ml- TN 93
1987 Dominus (birth year wine)- Came out with lots of pepper and cedar on the nose, but balanced over a few hours and went from being too light to putting on some weight. TN 92
1990 Dominus- Dark and big and brooding, but tertiary, probably the better of the two Dominus, however the 87 fits my preference for old Napa more. TN 92
1994 Insignia- Ripe, but balanced and lovely. Note of prune, on the nose at first, palate later. But maybe in a good way. TN 93
1990 Trimbach Cuvee Emile Riesling- Fantastic nose, tons of complexity and richness, minimal sweetness. I'd pick good aged germans over this generally, but it was fun. TN 92

Fun night, Nothing absolutely wowed, but everything was very good. Now back to Bordeaux or Burgundy for the next tasting.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Insignia 1994 is such a polarizing wine. I think Phelps had been gradually modernizing their wines from around 1990, and took a huge leap in 1994. The critics seemed to love it, I found it far too sweet on the backend especially, and not surprised that you mention prune in the tasting note.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Musigny 151 wrote:Insignia 1994 is such a polarizing wine. I think Phelps had been gradually modernizing their wines from around 1990, and took a huge leap in 1994. The critics seemed to love it, I found it far too sweet on the backend especially, and not surprised that you mention prune in the tasting note.
I totally agree that it was too sweet, but I liked the rest of it and ignored that part. It would Never be confused with Bordeaux. Whereas the 87 dominus might have been able to be confused with a riper bordeaux vintage.

As with most US consumers, I started my wine journey with those types of ripe, sweet california wines. So its possible that I was a bit nostalgic in liking it. I haven't fully come over to the light yet. I sit somewhere in the middle of most BDX palates on here (between liking the old school style with low alcohol and the new styles/higher alcohol). Will be interested to see how that changes over the next few years as I taste more older wines.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Love the 2000 Magdelaine. Grabbed some based on your praise for it and glad I did. Holding on to a few to see what additional magic might develop.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote:Love the 2000 Magdelaine. Grabbed some based on your praise for it and glad I did. Holding on to a few to see what additional magic might develop.

Big +1, I've got a baker's dozen I'm sitting on.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2009 de Sales with grilled sirloin. About as good as one can expect from this inexpensive Pomerol. It lacks typicity and concentration, but the flavor is good and the bouquet is attractive. Too soft for steak, though.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Leoville Las Cases 1978
Opened an hour before our Zoom, it was quite lovely. Archetypal old Bordeaux, but it took only minutes in the decanter before it began to fade. From a 95 point wine, it slipped to a 90 point one, quite drinkable but lacking the freshness and wow factor it originally showed. Stayed on this plateau until we finished the wine.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Musigny 151 wrote:Leoville Las Cases 1978
Opened an hour before our Zoom, it was quite lovely. Archetypal old Bordeaux, but it took only minutes in the decanter before it began to fade. From a 95 point wine, it slipped to a 90 point one, quite drinkable but lacking the freshness and wow factor it originally showed. Stayed on this plateau until we finished the wine.
Hi Musigny151.

I had the 1978 LLC a few times in the past and always liked it for it "oldish style", with kind of dusty tasty tannin with complex red fruits, leather and soil minerals.

But I understand it is not now, what it was before. I guess i drank my last bottle around 2008 and it was still an excellent very interesting wine then.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

... Which leads to smoore's question in a separate thread, Musigny151, should the 1978 LLC be decanted, or is it best just popped and poured?
jal

Post by jal »

We had a 1978 Leoville LasCases in Sarasota two years ago with Jim and DavidG and it showed beautifully. Actually David was surprised to drink and open LLC for a change lol.
Best

Jacques
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

There were seven bottles opened at the Zoom. The fills were into the neck, the colors crimson. Others felt their bottles were in great shape, but everybody noted that same falling off.
Next week we are doing 1978 Ducru, and I will open decant and pour.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

1998 Muga Seleccion Especial... lovely, lifted, heavily perfumed nose with sour cherry and integrated scents of American oak. Quite bright on the palate, but with enough body and depth to stand up to all the acid. Long, tart, bright finish with a touch of oak tannin. Just terrific.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jal wrote:We had a 1978 Leoville LasCases in Sarasota two years ago with Jim and DavidG and it showed beautifully. Actually David was surprised to drink and open LLC for a change lol.
That was a fun evening, and yes it was a treat to have an LLC that was open for business. We’re still too chicken to travel, but wish we could do it again.
stefan

Post by stefan »

With duck legs we drank 1986 La Lagune for dinner tonight. The tannin is gone, but the fruit is fresh and there is enough cassis. No tertiary characteristics at all. Lucie complained about the lack of leather.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Had a zoom based tasting last night with Turkey Flat (Barossa Valley) owner and winemaker.
These wines were not at all the turbo charged, oaky, tarry monsters that are often associated with the Barossa.
I will post notes separately.

Now drinking a Mumm Cordon Rouge NV.
It is an okay champagne but really needs some more fruit intensity and complexity.
Comes across as rather simple and bland.
Oh well.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A 2018 Ricasoli IGT Toscana last night was delicious with a vegetarian chickpeas dish with tomatoes.

80 % Sangiovese tempered by 10 % of Cabernet Sauvignon, and 10 % Merlot.

Nic
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Had 2016 split of Patricia green... not complex, but a bit light and easy drinking...
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie and I each had a glass of 2005 Trimbach Frederic Emile with a lunch of salmon patties over leaf lettuce. It has been a while since we drank a Riesling, and the FE hit the spot. The petrol scents and green grape flavors were a nice change of pace.
jal

Post by jal »

stefan wrote:Lucie and I each had a glass of 2005 Trimbach Frederic Emile with a lunch of salmon patties over leaf lettuce. It has been a while since we drank a Riesling, and the FE hit the spot. The petrol scents and green grape flavors were a nice change of pace.
The first time I met you and Lucie, at a Bordeaux tasting that Arv organized in midtown NYC, one guy in true AFWE fashion picked the 1997 Trimbach Frederic Emile we had as aperitif as his wine of the night. That guy no longer posts on BWE :D
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

A terrific 2017 Jacques Carillon Puligny Montrachet Village. My last bottle, sadly.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A perfect night.

2018 Ostertag Riesling Les Jardins, quite riche fruit, but that dry Alsatian Riesling finish. So, good, so easy and satisfying to drink. Can't understand why some would prefer dry white Pessac Léognan.

2016 Chateau Haut Peyrous, Graves, from the fame vintage. Organic, my 4th or 5th bottle in a short time. Soooo claret. Uncomplicated, just the fix you need. Smoke, minerals, blackcurrants, violets flowers, light vegetal. I will buy more. Sappy. Classy. Miss me already.

Nic
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Tonight an Aussie Riesling. 2015 Vickery Watervale.
Very nice wine. Some kerosene on the nose plus soft honey and citrus. Palate was a little closed at first though opened to reveal more floral notes and acid. Wendy found it a little sweet but I liked the balance of the wine.
I have always loved Aust Riesling and this is a good example and will age for decades.
stefan

Post by stefan »

1998 Beausejour with mushrooms and left over sirloin on a baked potato. This St Emilion is in a good spot. It is soft without being flabby, has solid core of fruit, and a proper bouquet.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, dinner with colleague while keeping distant.

2017 Domaine Pierre Adam Gewurztraminer Kaefferkopf: this was excellent, with strong perfumes of geranium and roses, litchis, ripe melon, and lot of spices (muscad and lighr cinnamon). Mouth was sweet but with a nice intensity and balance.

2018 La Scolca Valentino: a second bottle in the last weeks, and this Gavi is very good. Weed and honey, with yellow apples. Good acidity and minerals in mouth, with that flowery honey fruit flavors.

2013 Sangioveto Di Toscana, Badia Coltibuono: what a nice wine from a Sangiovese clone. Medium concentration, complex, superb balance. Flowery with violet flowers, light cherries, red berries, rasberries, with this earthy spices. Full of elegance in mouth, spicy, fruity, long, without any negative impact from the very integrated 14.5 % alcohol. Geez it was good.

2014 Terre Rouge Syrah: smoky, with concentrated sligthly candied red fruits. Generous, but not overdone. Improved well with air, adding some light leather notes to the rich fruit. Satisfying for the price. No default.

Nic
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

1986 Gruaud Larose. I have a NY strip waiting for the grill to get hot. In the meantime, the wine is quite nice.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Omg... A BWE classic.
One of my favorite wines ever.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote:Omg... A BWE classic.
One of my favorite wines ever.
This. Definitely one of my faves ever outside some incredible bottles of the perennial superstars like Mouton, Petrus, Ausone, Latour, Lafite, et al.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 1983 Gruaud Larose and Talbot last night with local wine buddies, both in great form with red fruits, great intensity from brightness but enough layered fruit to be wonderfully balanced, totally resolved and silky, complex and just the right amount of funky. The Talbot was a little wilder and energetic while the Gruaud was deeper and a touch more balanced. Both 94+ pt wines in my book.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

2012 Ch. d"Arvigny. Drank over two nights alongside burritos made using leftover strip steak from Sunday with onions, peppers, mushrooms and zucchini.
The fruit is round and full, spices from the 60% Cabernet and the well integrated oak add interest. The tannins are well resolved. A very enjoyable $15 Haut Medoc that will drink well for the next 5+ years.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Racer Chris wrote:1986 Gruaud Larose. I have a NY strip waiting for the grill to get hot. In the meantime, the wine is quite nice.
One of my favorite faceoffs is 86' Gruaud vs 86' Talbot, always a slugfest of two heavyweights and a joy to drink.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Blanquito wrote:1986 Joël Taluau Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil Vieilles Vignes
Gosh, my palate sure has changed through the years. I probably wouldn’t have liked this even 5 years ago, but tonight with a steak, I am digging this (the low price doesn’t hurt). Super green, capsicum-filled bouquet redolent with green bell pepper, black peppercorns, unsweetened cranberries, celery stalk, and woodsmoke. The palate is light and bright, but avoids dilution and is super intense and grippy from the pyrazines and bight acids. Despite the light color and fruit, there is enough glycerin to give this a layered mouthfeel and the finish is drying and medium-long. So food friendly. Too one-note to really go crazy over and the green-phobic would detest this wine, but I very much enjoy.
Finishing the second half of this tonight (which has been frozen in the interim), and it’s just as good and the bouquet is probably even better showing a much smokier, Gravesy profile today.

This is a Robert Goulet-Orlando Bobby kinda wine if there ever was one. I’m gonna buy more (K&L has a bunch of back vintages at reasonable prices).
stefan

Post by stefan »

2003 Giscours with a chicken soufflé. By the the second taste the Margauxberries were in full bloom. More concentrated and darker and sweeter than old style Margaux, but very good nonetheless.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote:
Blanquito wrote:1986 Joël Taluau Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil Vieilles Vignes
Gosh, my palate sure has changed through the years. I probably wouldn’t have liked this even 5 years ago, but tonight with a steak, I am digging this (the low price doesn’t hurt). Super green, capsicum-filled bouquet redolent with green bell pepper, black peppercorns, unsweetened cranberries, celery stalk, and woodsmoke. The palate is light and bright, but avoids dilution and is super intense and grippy from the pyrazines and bight acids. Despite the light color and fruit, there is enough glycerin to give this a layered mouthfeel and the finish is drying and medium-long. So food friendly. Too one-note to really go crazy over and the green-phobic would detest this wine, but I very much enjoy.
Finishing the second half of this tonight (which has been frozen in the interim), and it’s just as good and the bouquet is probably even better showing a much smokier, Gravesy profile today.

This is a Robert Goulet-Orlando Bobby kinda wine if there ever was one. I’m gonna buy more (K&L has a bunch of back vintages at reasonable prices).
And surprisingly, I’ve never tried this estate! Need to remedy that.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

With the caveat that I’ve only tried vintages from the 80’s from this producer, I think you’d really love these wines, Robert. I’m going to try a vintage from the 90’s soon, I’ll report back.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2010 Riffault Boucards Sancerre... bright, crisp, long, refreshing, the perfect foil to baked char and blackened Brussel sprouts. Straight forward and simply delicious.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2015 Beaudry brothers Saint Louans le Parc

Like blanquito or Orlando Bobby, i'm sensitive to the Cabernet Franc from Loire. Medium color, with the dark red berries, cardamom, grape, light vegetals and cherries nose. Mouth is medium body, with that great mixture of vine wood, fresh cherries and berries fruit, some medium tannins, and a ripe vegetal, fresh finish. Very good.

Leaving tomorrow for moose hunting. I'm bringing a few bottles of wine but nothing fancy. But, I'm looking forward for the 2016 Chateau des Graves in the middle of the forrest.

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Nicklasss wrote: Leaving tomorrow for moose hunting. I'm bringing a few bottles of wine but nothing fancy. But, I'm looking forward for the 2016 Chateau des Graves in the middle of the forrest.

Nic
#lame

Should be drinking this . . . .

192FC8F2-E1FD-4E74-971C-4466E22696E7.jpeg
192FC8F2-E1FD-4E74-971C-4466E22696E7.jpeg (58.58 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

8-)
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Currently drinking 2008 Chateau Rouget Pomerol.
Decanted s few hours before drinking this wine kept changing in the glass.
Initially very oaky on the nose with lots of sawn wood, nuts and sweet spices. Fruit was quite savoury and too stalky for me. The flavour was typical of cab franc rather than merlot showing through.
After some time soft merlot fruit started to emerge. Yet the fruit is somewhat overpowered by the spicy oak and while it is good oak in its own right, I’d prefer some fruit intensity. The acid and tannins are well balanced but please give me some nice plummy merlot fruit to match the oak.
Wendy commented that the oak was rather off putting but the lack of fruit was the essential shortcoming. I am not sure that longer ageing will help as this seems less fruity than the last bottle.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Claudius2 wrote:Currently drinking 2008 Chateau Rouget Pomerol.
Decanted s few hours before drinking this wine kept changing in the glass.
Initially very oaky on the nose with lots of sawn wood, nuts and sweet spices. Fruit was quite savoury and too stalky for me. The flavour was typical of cab franc rather than merlot showing through.
After some time soft merlot fruit started to emerge. Yet the fruit is somewhat overpowered by the spicy oak and while it is good oak in its own right, I’d prefer some fruit intensity. The acid and tannins are well balanced but please give me some nice plummy merlot fruit to match the oak.
Wendy commented that the oak was rather off putting but the lack of fruit was the essential shortcoming. I am not sure that longer ageing will help as this seems less fruity than the last bottle.
Ahhh. I had one of those right when lockdown started here

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... 008#p80241
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
Nicklasss wrote: Leaving tomorrow for moose hunting. I'm bringing a few bottles of wine but nothing fancy. But, I'm looking forward for the 2016 Chateau des Graves in the middle of the forrest.

Nic
#lame

Should be drinking this . . . .

192FC8F2-E1FD-4E74-971C-4466E22696E7.jpeg

8-)
If Nic gets the Moose, he plans to put it in the Graves.