What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

stefan

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by stefan »

With pasta and tomato sauce with too much garlic I drank

2013 Ridge Lytton Springs. This is in a good spot for me as the fruit and tannins have merged nicely. Sticky and lasting on the tongue.

I am finishing the bottle now after having some with a lunch of cheese ravioli. Tastes the same as last night and it is helping me endure the boring committee work that is occupying my day. Zoom's video disconnect feature helps a lot with that, but wine is essential for numbing the pain.
stefan

Post by stefan »

With baked chicken, turnip mashed potatoes, and sugar snap peas we drank 1999 Bruno Clair Morey-Saint-Denis. This bottle did not suffer from its poor storage and shows how good a 20 year old village Burgundy can be. It has the structure one expects from a 1999 but not the tightness that makes you say, "one more blanquito".
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

2000 D'issan. Beautiful Margaux nose, right on the cork pull. Great, restrained claret. On the fence about decanting or not, so I am currently decanting about one glass worth while drinking the rest far too quickly PNP right now with some drunken goat cheese. I knew there was a reason this was in my top 3 at the Zachys tasting last year, out of approximately 75. Need to find more.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2013 Ayala Champagne Blanc de Blancs
Young and coiled, this needed quite a bit of time to unwind. At first, I wasn't that high on this, but with air it grew on me. This is a bright, intense bubbly right now, defined mostly by its acids. It also has the most distinctive note of yellow apples, even applesauce, I've noticed in a champagne before, giving it a cidery profile. There’s also some lemon oil and autolytic hints. Palate saturating with terrific length. I am not a 94-pt on this like William Kelley, but his tasting note is otherwise spot-on.

I tried this a K&L has it on sale at $50. If this ages well, $50 is a serious QPR for a bubbly of this refinement and intensity.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I'm drinking a glass of 2016 Fongaban from a bottle I opened last night. With a little Puisseguin St Emilion tasting this good, I am beginning to understand the raves about 2016 Bordeaux. It has a pleasant Merlot flavor and a grip that is uncommon in wines of this class. More oak than I like right now, but that should integrate with the fruit in time.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Giscours 2014: PNP with a stunning nose of violets, vanilla and cassis right of the bat. Medium bodied + with blackcurrant dominating, firm, grippy tannins, yet all beautifully integrated with a typical Margaux elegance. The finish lasted a minute or more. Wow!
Edit: this is one of the most memorable wines I've had all year. Stunning.
Last edited by Ianjaig on Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmmmm. Giscours + 2014.... A stunning combination.

Thanks for the report, Ianjaig.

I'm a huge fan of Giscours -- included as the last wine in my third growth category, in there with the Leoville Bartons, Calon Segurs, and Smith Haut Lafittes -- and I think 2014 is a truly stunning vintage.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Agreed, Jim. Count me as a big fan as well - both the estate and the vintage.
Must try and track down some more.
Cheers.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very well done indeed, Ian.

2014 is a modern day 1988, except even better.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

JimHow wrote:Very well done indeed, Ian.

You mean it contains some fruit:-)
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ianjaig wrote:Giscours 2014: PNP with a stunning nose of violets, vanilla and cassis right of the bat. Medium bodied + with blackcurrant dominating, firm, grippy tannins, yet all beautifully integrated with a typical Margaux elegance. The finish lasted a minute or more. Wow!
Edit: this is one of the most memorable wines I've had all year. Stunning.
Wow, I opened one of these yesterday as well! We could be drinking from the same bottle based on your note. Really nice bottle of Margaux. I bet it has even better years ahead. Finishing it this evening, still going strong.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

JimHow wrote:
Very well done indeed, Ian.

You mean it contains some fruit:-)
Ha, yeah, after I typed that I questioned myself, Mark. What I had in mind is that it is a classic vintage. But, yes, the fruit is beautiful. What vintage(s) do you think 2014 compares to? I'm having trouble drawing comparisons. I think it is outstanding. Honestly, as I've said elsewhere, I've loved every single wine I've had from 2014, except Lynch. I've even loved GPL from 2014.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Wow, I opened one of these yesterday as well! We could be drinking from the same bottle based on your note. Really nice bottle of Margaux. I bet it has even better years ahead. Finishing it this evening, still going strong.[/quote]

Nice one, DavidG! Yes, I felt a bit guilty opening it so young, but it had been a long week and I needed something decent. Not sure how you rated it overall, but I thought it was sensational. One of those bottles you just didn't want to end.
Cheers,
Ian.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ian, I rated it excellent on my 6-point poor/fair/good/very good/excellent/outstanding scale.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

DavidG wrote:Ian, I rated it excellent on my 6-point poor/fair/good/very good/excellent/outstanding scale.
I've seen you post scores on CT without tasting notes a fair amount recently but this time you posted a note with no score. :?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I decided a while ago that Giscours is an estate that I respect and admire but do not love. An encounter with the excellent 2006 made me reconsider and I ended up with a sixpack. Now I am tempted again. Here in Blighty the 2014 Giscours is so attractively priced. But surely far too young?

I drank a 1971 Haut Brion last night I recently acquired at auction, and have a 1995 Clinet open tonight. The Clinet is improving but will never be a great wine.

Note on the 71 Haut-Brion.

A remarkable colour, aristocratic and understated with signature Haut-Brion smoke, earth and gravelly notes, played in minor key. Dark fruits, black tea, moderate intensity, seamless mid-palate and a fine, long, finish. Perfectly balanced and plenty of time in hand.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Racer Chris wrote:
DavidG wrote:Ian, I rated it excellent on my 6-point poor/fair/good/very good/excellent/outstanding scale.
I've seen you post scores on CT without tasting notes a fair amount recently but this time you posted a note with no score. :?
Hey Chris, I’m surprised if you’re responding to me. I’m dbg on CT. I put my "excellent" ranking of the 2014 Giscours into my CT TN.

I never (rarely?) post numerical scores on CT as I almost never use them. I’ll occasionally use numbers if I need to rank multiple wines at a single sitting where they’re all very good to outstanding and the event organizer requests it. Otherwise I don’t consider my palate precise or repeatable enough for numbers. Usually I post a TN which includes a non-numerical "score." The corresponding numerical ranges would be:

50-69 poor - would discreetly pour out or avoid if served at a party
70-79 fair - tolerable but no joy, would politely drink a glass at a party
80-84 good - enjoyable, unlikely to buy now, early on would be QPRs to drink while waiting on the good stuff
85-89 very good - would buy if inexpensive and room in the cellar or for a large party of non-geeks
90-94 excellent - I seek these out, they probably make up the bulk of what I cellar and drink
95-99 outstanding - I want to crawl into the glass and spend the night
100 OMFG - one of the top few wines I’ve ever had or could imagine
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes, still young Ian. Excellent now - not shut down but a bit tannic and no complexity yet. Giscours are usually in my high very good to low excellent range - 88-91 or 92 if you need numbers. It’s a bit ripe, glossy, oaky vs. staunch traditionalists but still has a Bordeaux soul. I don’t expect them to routinely age into outstanding territory.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

DavidG wrote:
Racer Chris wrote:

Now I'm intrigued. Any examples of your OMFG wines? Especially whats the most recent one you can think of and when was it tasted?
marcs

Post by marcs »

DavidG wrote:
Racer Chris wrote:
Hey Chris, I’m surprised if you’re responding to me. I’m dbg on CT. I put my "excellent" ranking of the 2014 Giscours into my CT TN.

I never (rarely?) post numerical scores on CT as I almost never use them. I’ll occasionally use numbers if I need to rank multiple wines at a single sitting where they’re all very good to outstanding and the event organizer requests it. Otherwise I don’t consider my palate precise or repeatable enough for numbers. Usually I post a TN which includes a non-numerical "score." The corresponding numerical ranges would be:

50-69 poor - would discreetly pour out or avoid if served at a party
70-79 fair - tolerable but no joy, would politely drink a glass at a party
80-84 good - enjoyable, unlikely to buy now, early on would be QPRs to drink while waiting on the good stuff
85-89 very good - would buy if inexpensive and room in the cellar or for a large party of non-geeks
90-94 excellent - I seek these out, they probably make up the bulk of what I cellar and drink
95-99 outstanding - I want to crawl into the glass and spend the night
This scoring system makes sense to me. It addresses a lot of the issues with the subjectivity and frankly incomprehensibility of the 0-100 scores if you don't know what the person "means" by them. It's an absolute ranking system which I like (i.e. it doesn't seem like you would rate something "outstanding" if it was a a muscadet that was 'outstanding for a muscadet' but not a truly great wine). It makes your subjective meanings clear -- it clarifies what you are thinking about the wine specifically as a collector in a way other collectors can understand. I also like that it has five different brackets for different types of "good to great" wines. When you collect at the level we do you need a lot of differentiation among the top 5-10% of wines in the world, if that makes sense.

I have come to feel that the 100 point/OMFG rating is tough because everything has to come together for that kind of experience, and it's unclear whether it will be replicable even with the same wine in the future. But I do seek out wines with the potential for giving that kind of experience. On CT I literally look for people to describe "wow" wines in TNs -- like if an experienced taster says "wow!" and a bunch of superlatives in a TN that carries weight for me.

P.S. David I figured out a while ago that you were "dbg" and have been following your notes :D
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes the 100-point OMFG experiences are just that - experiences. Mood, company, milieu, other wines, food all influence the subjective component of the experience. I'll rate the wine outstanding in my note but you never forget the experience. They tend not to happen at big mega-tastings where I get distracted by the number of wines. A 1959 Lafite Tom in DC opened, among other gems, around Y2K. A 1929 Pommard Rugiens brought up from the cellars at Dom. Bouchard served with dinner at the Domaine. Several events with Stu, Tom, Jim, and other BWEs: 1989 Haut Brion and Petrus in Chicago, 1982 First Growths in DC. These are wines you can close your eyes and think about and they come back to you.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

DavidG wrote:
Racer Chris wrote:
I don't know why I misremembered that Dave. I look forward to reading your notes on my wines.
There is another CT user who I've met a few times at wine dinners, who nearly always posts a score without any note. I'm often tempted to comment to give him a hard time (in fun) about it.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

With cod and tiger prawns drinking Mumm Corton Rouge NV.
Never loved this wine but I’ve stored it for 4-5 yrs and some tertiary development has occurred. Not great but showing some citrus honey and brioche.
stefan

Post by stefan »

For Mozart's Death Day (which coincides with my birthday) Lucia and I drank 1985 La Lagune with grilled quail followed by 2007 Coutet with a French apple tart while listening to Mozart's music (NOT his Requiem). We have drunk 30+ bottles of the 85 LL over the years and every bottle has been at least very good. I lucked into some perfectly stored bottles last year. This one was excellent, with tannins completely resolved and tertiary notes of tobacco and sage. The young Coutet tasted just right with the tart, adding some citrus and orange to the apples.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Sushis last night for Simone's birthday. With 2018 Gustav Lorentz Riesling. Excellent. Fruity, mineral, tasty, fresh.

Tonight, with mussels, 2018 50 degree Riesling trocken from Johannisberger Weinvertrieb. Lighter color than the Lorentz, light nose of lemon and flowers, with strong acid berries. A little bit sweeter than Lorentz, but well made.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

One of my recent K&L bojo purchases, the 2014 Stephane Aviron Cote du Py Vieilles Vignes. This my kinda Gamay, showing an earthy, minerally profile rather than the fruitiness many Beaujolais do. Bright, lean, savory, lemony palate impact with a tangy cherry-juice laced finish. Nothing profound, just a true, simple, refreshing food friendly wine.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Capture Harmonie 2015: Caught up with my Californian brother in law last night after he spent the obligatory 2 weeks quarantine. He works for Kendall Jackson and bought over some of their wines. My knowledge of US wines is very limited but I enjoyed this. Cellar Tracker says it’s from Alexander Valley. Intensely concentrated with a strong chocolate profile (and a hint of leather?). Nice wine, great company.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

It’s been wet and steamy here this week.
I sometimes want to hop on a plane to go to a cold climate but in the meantime lighter wines make sense.

Last night had a very nice Bertault GC Cazetiers 1er Cru 2010.
This wine is GC quality and has lots of power and complexity without heaviness. Nice.

Now drinking a lower priced white Burgundy. Hautes Cotes de Beaune En Vallerot 2018 from Nuiton Beauroy (Blanc).
Never had anything from this producer before. A nice wine lacking complexity but not short on flavour. Pear, stone fruit and honey with some sweetness and acidity. A little sweet/sour. Changed considerably with air, becoming richer but a bit cloying.
If I’d tasted it blind I’d guess it’s from NZ not Burgundy. Okay for the price but not compelling.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

2015 La Gurgue Margaux was a last minute substitution for a corked 1996 Lynch Bages. The La Gurgue was obviously young and tannic, but it opened up nicely after a couple of hours in the decanter. Dark and opaque appearance, and lots of nice dark fruits on both the nose and the palate. Though way too young, it was quite enjoyable. I think it could be called a JimHow kind of wine at this stage in its life.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Last night with spaghetti and meatballs, and finished at lunch today with a hot turkey grinder: 2017 Fattoria di Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico.
After 3 bottles consumed this year I think this is the best ($25) Chianti I've ever had.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

OMG Chris, I TOTALLY agree.
I have drunk three bottles from the 12 I bought at Zachy's, I got it there on sale for like $21.
I'm going to buy another case. It is one of the best, if not THE best, QPRs I've ever had.
It is really a beautiful wine, so balanced and smooth.

I'm going to look for La Gurgue, Jon, I don't think I've ever tried it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm ordering another case of the 2017 Felsina from Zachy's at $21.99 per bottle.
HIGHLY recommended.

https://www.zachys.com/chianti-classico ... 750ml.html
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I don't keep much Sangiovese on hand but this wine has me all gaga. I have 3 left and plan on buying another 6 at least.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I drank through most of a case of the 89 La Gurgue in the late 90’s, and it was a great QPR.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow, there's an extra 15% discount right now on the 2017 Felsina if you buy a dozen at Zachy's, it comes to $18.69 plus tax. That's a no brainer.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

That 2017 Felsina Chianti Classico is a not be missed wine if you like Sangiovese at all. After opening the first two bottles of a case, I've subsequently picked up two more cases. I hope to be drinking this for the next 5-10 years. My next goal is to get a second case of the Riserva, which vinous scored 3 points better than the regular (93 vs. 90). And if you miss out on the 2017 regular, buy the 2018, which is purported to be better than the 2017.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

1964 Avondo Gattinara Riserva Speciale. Interesting wine. Almost no tannic structure. But great floral nose, light bodied. Roses, Violets. I'm no florist. But I like this wine. Was recommended not to decant it like you would most old Barolo, especially from this vintage. It did not need it. Good value and fun to try for sure.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2008 Moutard Cuvée des 6 Cepages
Crisp with biscuits, dry and long with linseed and lemon, a touch acrid. Highly expressive nose of lacquer and caraway. Austere yet layered, needs food to shine. Surprisingly good, nice QPR.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2018 Riesling Domaine Weinbach : good but as their basic cuvée, less interesting than their more complex other cuvées (Théo, Collette, Grand Cru Schlossberg). Ripe fruit, good amount of sugar, a bit flabby for an Alsarian Riesling. Tn: 87-88. I'm used to better Riesling wine from Weinbach.

Charles Heidsieck Brut Réserve: very nice Champagne, with good amouth of fruits (pears, pinneaple), ginger and yeasty breadcrust. Good body, medium intensity, lots of bubbles. Excellent. Drank as a digestive, after the riesling and a copious meal of meen masal mussels and creamy smoked salmon fettucini. Just help to clear out the system!
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

1996 Calon Segur with a meal of slow roasted lamb leg, sauteed chanterelles and melted leeks. I've always been a little disappointed with the 1996 Calon Segur, as while it is good, doesn't reach the heights I'd expect from it. The fruit is very dark, very St. Estephe, with mostly resolved tannins but not the level of extract or complexity I would expect from this wine.

Certainly more than worth the $35 I paid for it on release, but I expect more complexity from Calon Segur in a very good vintage.

SF Ed