What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

stefan

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by stefan »

>>
I googled that and it looks delicious but I think I chipped a tooth trying to pronounce the word.
>>

I learned long ago that there are only two rules for pronouncing a word in Danish.

1. Swallow your tongue.
2. If you follow #1, nothing else matters.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nicklasss wrote:
jal wrote:Great story and a fantastic note Ian, I only had Noel Verset's Cornas once and the earth moved, the angels sang and I saw a rainbow in the night sky. Thank you for sharing the experience with us
Jacques, instead of asking the traditionnal "what did you ate with the Versas?", "what did you smoke with the Versas?" Seems more appropriate.

Nice report Ian. A Northern Rhône red wine as interesting and great than a 1982 Pichon Lalande? I can buy that. Unfortunately, i think i never saw a Verset wine here.

Nic
Thanks Jacques and also for the heads up on the Grasso, and yes indeed Nic.

I bought a batch of 1998 and 1999 Noel Versets from an Oxford College for £29 a bottle in 2012. I also missed out on a Wine Society allocation of the 1998 vintage 12 years earlier for £12.50 a bottle. I guess better late than never. Another reason to come to London Nic...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Wow, that Verset sounds incredible Ian! I can't believe how little those cost you! I see Verset going for $400 a bottle on auction these days.

And yes Jacques, great tip on the Elio Grasso, that bottle is typically quite an inexpensive.

Keep on toking, guys!
Last edited by Blanquito on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

2010 La Dame de Montrose. Just checking in. Wow, that's as good as I remember it, and I drank the whole bottle. burp.
Now that I've had my wine, what I'll be smoking is labeled "Jolly Green Giant".
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Racer Chris wrote:2010 La Dame de Montrose. Just checking in. Wow, that's as good as I remember it, and I drank the whole bottle. burp.
Now that I've had my wine, what I'll be smoking is labeled "Jolly Green Giant".
Jealous of this Chris, I keep missing out on bottles of this. Hopefully the 16's I finally got are just as tasty.

I don't know what it is, but I have fantastic luck with 1990 wines from all over the world.

1990 Veuve Clicquot Reserve. Wonderful aged champagne. Great dark golden. Bit of butterscotch, but subtle. Very balanced. A few bubbles left. 94

1990 Piazzo Comm. Armando Barolo Poderi D'Mugiot. Random, great value Barolo. Came out not needing much decant, but didnt fall apart at all in 1.5 hours in decanter. Very enjoyable. Touch of cherry notes, nice weight. Not super complex, but just a great 30 year old wine. 93-94
jal

Post by jal »

Blanquito wrote: And yes Jacques, great tip on the Elio Grasso, that bottle is typically quite an inexpensive.
It's not exactly cheap here, Patrick, about $40 at least 30% more than in the US. But definitely worth it. I have done a bit more homework and while the Rüncot Riserva sees 100% new French oak for at least 18 months, the Langhe is aged only in stainless steel and without any oak. I always liked Elio Grasso but this was off the charts good.
Best

Jacques
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I'm starting the party early.
This '82 Potensac from 375 is just the thing to go with today's lunch of various leftovers from the fridge.
Now back to work for a few more hours.
stefan

Post by stefan »

For lunch I am drinking a glass of 2014 Ridge Geyserville with spaghetti marinara. There is no real complexity yet in this Geyserville, but it has calmed down and now is well balanced. I like it.
stefan

Post by stefan »

With leftover rib roast, mushrooms, and broccoli I am drinking 2000 Grand-Puy-Lacoste. This bottle, stored at 64F since release, is an almost mature and a proper Pauillac. I think it is somewhat better than the 2000 Haut-Bages-Liberal and perhaps a step behind the 2000 D'Armailhac. For my taste it will probably improve for another 5 or 10 years.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

A nice, leathery, fully resolved bottle of 1989 Chasse Spleen. Definitely not a show stopper and a little quiet at first, this bottle grew on me over dinner. Reminded me of some 86s in its lean, leathery austerity.

For NYE, a bottle of the 2002 Lenoble Blanc de Blancs Chouilly, which is very nice. Pretty much fully mature with a super toasty, brioche-laden nose, a very rich mouthfeel yet completely dry with big acids. Perhaps too big for elegance, this packs a punch and is fairly dramatic.
Last edited by Blanquito on Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Post by stefan »

For New Years Day dinner Lucie fixed a delicious meal of braised duck legs over cabbage, turnip mashed potatoes, and green beans for color. This is not exactly a meal that calls for Bordeaux, but Lucie wanted a good Bordeaux to start off the year right. I thought that Graves would match best and opened 1996 La Mission Haut Brion. This was a good choice as the smoky chocolate covered blackberry taste complemented the duck and Napa cabbage. The balance is perfect and the the finish is long. I like this wine more than most critics do. It is in its plateau of maturity.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

For NYE dinner with steak au poivre, we opened a 1983 Gruaud Larose (one of two that came into my possession by chance). As I've done recently with older wines, I decanted for a short time (no more than an hour). The wine was lovely with the steak. It is fully mature, but not over the hill. We savored it for a good part of the evening. Looking forward to my one remaining bottle with hopes it is as good as this one.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

New year, new wine: 2018 Lilian Ladouys - with leftover grilled salmon and roasted vegetables.
I shouldn't open another bottle of this until I'm in my '70s. (maybe just one more)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

How did you like it, Chris? Hoe does it compare to the 2016?
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Chianti Classico Cecchi 2017, Cherry! nice balance on the fresh/acid side as a chianti should be. I like this wine, it is complex enough to enjoy, clean fruity and will go well with the Chicken cordon blue. A nice wine 85-87?

Yes, Chris please let us know more about Ch Lilian Ladouys 2018, I am waiting for 6 bottles and might pick one up just to taste now.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

A lovely bottle of the 1996 Grand Puy Lacoste. This is wide open and texturally so easy to drink, but it’s showing only secondary development still at age 24. The profile is quite leafy, but eschews any bell pepper, and the body is at most medium. This bottle was in the low 90’s point-wise, and I think we can (finally) say this is what it is. Maybe some more age brings out a bit more depth (doubtful) or complexity (probable) that makes this a little better. But even as is, a delicious and friendly and true Medoc that I throughly enjoyed over 2 days.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Dandersson wrote: Yes, Chris please let us know more about Ch Lilian Ladouys 2018, I am waiting for 6 bottles and might pick one up just to taste now.
Its definitely worth cracking one for fun at this stage. Rather enjoyable considering that its been in bottle for just 6 months or so. Quite juicy, with strong but not harsh tannins and no excessive new oak. Lower acidity.
It reminds me somewhat of the 2009.
59% Cabernet, 37% Merlot, 4% Petit Verdot. 14.5% abv
Definitely has a good foundation for development of some complexity.
At under $25 its a real good value.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Thanks Chris, looking forward to trying it soon. Sounds like it will be able to develop for sometime. Hopefully I will be able to not drink them all young.

Best, Dan
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2017 Monterustico, Varja.

The name says it all! Oh la la! Lot of acidity, on the nose and mouth. Small red berries, light cinnamon. With the lasagna, was ok to melt everything... very very acidic. Unbalanced a bit.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Opened up one of my last 2002 Ch Leoville Poyferre. Definately more tertiary notes but kind of in a transition phase. Ill try to hang 9n to my last bottle another 3 to 5 years to open my last bottle.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Having MichaelP and Nalan over tomorrow.

Michael said that since we were doing all the cooking, he'd bring all the wines. What do I do with the 1964 Barolo I had standing up? Open it a day in advance and drink it tonight!

Just opened to slow ox through the day - smells really good.

Last edited by SF Ed on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Had a wonderful 2017 Chapelle St Theodoric ‘Le Grand Pin’ CdP that was aromatic, flavorful and long. 95
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

SF Ed wrote:Having MichaelP and Nalan over tomorrow.

Michael said that since we were doing all the cooking, he'd bring all the wines. What do I do with the 1964 Barolo I had standing up? Open it a day in advance and drink it tonight!

Just opened to slow ox through the day - smells really good.

What Barolo did you open Ed? I've been doing a lot of oldies lately. How'd it turn out?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A simple 2019 Brigaldara Valpolicella that was good and convenient with the aragula pesto linguini.

Thursday night, a Natural italian wine, made from Nerello Mascalese, called Vino di Anna, without any vintage, was even better with pizza.

Nic
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

What Barolo did you open Ed? I've been doing a lot of oldies lately. How'd it turn out?
1964 Prunotto Barolo. Still vibrant with lots of acid and tannin, classic rose petal and tar. Good fruit and color for an old Barolo, but probably would have been better 10 years ago. Highly enjoyable.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Just had 1989 and 1990 Angelus courtesy of MichaelP. 1990 is very good, full and round and young. 1989 is profound, deep, complex and haunting. Pas mal. A 1975 Climens was corked, so we had to settle for a 2001 Lafaurie-Peyraguey, which was excellent. Non-top 2001 Sauternes are ready for their closeups. The sugar is getting eaten, the color is darkening, and the wines are getting very complex. Great stuff.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, a Médoc that some know here, the Chateau la Tour Saint-Bonnet, in the 2015 vintage. Let say that for less than 24 $cad, this is excellent, made in a classic way. Delightful now and for 7-10 years.

I like that producer. Located between Chateau Rollan de By and Chateau les Ormes Sorbet, next to the water, easy to understand the terroir and conditions are among the best in aoc Médoc.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

1996 Grand Puy Lacoste. Good fruit core, but corked. I drank a couple of ounces since this was our only bottle. Lucie, much less sensitive than I to TCA, liked it despite the taint.

1986 La Lagune. Still good with fruit and just beginning to show secondary characteristics. Slightly corked, which ruined the smell for me, but the taste was good enough that I drank my share.

1998 St Innocent 7 Springs Pinot Noir. The bottle and cork look perfect, but the taste of the wine is pruny and somewhat dirty. I suspect storage well above 70F for an extended period.

I have encountered very few defective wines during the Covid period prior to this past week. I hope that this is not a sign that, wine wise, 2021 will be worse than 2020 for me.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Nicklasss wrote:Last night, a Médoc that some know here, the Chateau la Tour Saint-Bonnet, in the 2015 vintage. Let say that for less than 24 $cad, this is excellent, made in a classic way. Delightful now and for 7-10 years.

I like that producer. Located between Chateau Rollan de By and Chateau les Ormes Sorbet, next to the water, easy to understand the terroir and conditions are among the best in aoc Médoc.

Nic
Nice one. I got hold of a case of the 2016 Tour St Bonnet just before Xmas. Have had a couple over the holidays. Outstanding QPR IMO.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Ianjaig wrote:Nice one. I got hold of a case of the 2016 Tour St Bonnet just before Xmas. Have had a couple over the holidays. Outstanding QPR IMO.
I felt exactly the same for the 2015 Ianjaig, and twice now, outstanding QPR.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2019 Mâcon-Lugny Les Crays.

Nice clean Chardonnay from Mâconnais. Light butter, oak, yellow flesh fruit (pears, quince). Mouth is medium body, with good ripe fruit, light mandarines, yellow apples, light bitter minerals. Stays simple and enjoyable.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nicklasss wrote:Last night, a Médoc that some know here, the Chateau la Tour Saint-Bonnet, in the 2015 vintage. Let say that for less than 24 $cad, this is excellent, made in a classic way. Delightful now and for 7-10 years.
Awesome. Haven’t had this chateau since the 2010, but I could see it excelling in 2015 and 2016.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

On my last day before 30 days without wine and on Whole30. I have now gone 7 days strong. Longest in years

1986 Prieure Lichine.

Perfect fill, well into the neck. Very enjoyable wine. Tannins fully integrated. But still great color and structure. I would say its still in its drinking window. Just towards the end. Nice subtle, sexy Margaux. Great complexity, loses just a tad after 30 minutes in the glass. But the open bottle held up well for 3+ hours. 94pts.

I have been having great luck with some of these value older bottles purchased in the last year or two. Very enjoyable.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nice call Joel. I really like Prieure-Lichine from the 1980s. On the whole they were very early drinkers so not surprised that even the 1986 needs drinking up.

Not an estate we talk much about and overtly commercial when you visit. We dropped in there in 2016 or 2017 and we had a nice tour and tasting, but parted with 15 euros for the pleasure.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Popped a 2013 Poggio Antico Madre Toscana last night with eggplant and sausage parm. I bought on closeout for $25/btl. Nice round nose with nice balance on the palate between fruit and tannin. I'm trying to add more Italian wines like this to the cellar that are a joy to drink and won't break the bank, very food friendly.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Over two nights with beef goulash I drank

2009 Fonplegade. I did not realize that Fonplegade had been Rollandize until I took my first sip. Anyway, this Fonplegade is certainly a good wine even if it is rather generic. It does have grainy tannins that overshadow the fruit; maybe they will smooth out with blanquitization. I personally prefer the old Fonplegade, which rarely garnered praise from critics.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

SF Ed wrote:
1964 Prunotto Barolo. Still vibrant with lots of acid and tannin, classic rose petal and tar. Good fruit and color for an old Barolo, but probably would have been better 10 years ago. Highly enjoyable.
Fun stuff Ed. We had a 67 Prunotto Riserva in August. Although good, the wine had some of the weirdest notes I've ever tasted. Orange creamsicle, is what came to mind for me. I kid you not.

Sucks about the Yquem, but glad the 2001 LP turned out well. Just picked up one of those myself
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

1982 Sociando Mallet
Karl wanted me to weld something for him this afternoon so he came up to my shop with a bottle of wine, which we drank most of over the last 1.5 hours.
OMG this was fantastic.
One big glass left for me to drink with dinner.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

82 Sociando - wow, that sounds special.

Saint Pierre 2012: Lovely nose of leather, cassis, mocha, earth, somewhat vegetal with a long, distinctive finish of sweet (almost stewed) plums. There’s a lot going on here but not in unintegrated way. It’s all beautifully balanced. I often couldn’t understand SP being described as modern by others, but on reflection, I can understand why it’s sometimes viewed that way. That said, it’s still a beautiful wine IMO, and one that I will continue to seek out.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2017 Chateau Haut-Vigneau

Still excellent, complex, fresh, with that very Graves claret feeling. Yum.