What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Nicklasss

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by Nicklasss »

Another bottle of the 2019 Félines Jourdan Picpoul-de-Pinet tonight, with mussels. Delicious.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:08 pm I drank two of my recent auction wins this weekend:

2000 Pontet Canet really hit the bullseye. I think I mentioned it earlier. Terrific wine. Some may find it modern but it has superb precision, and you know you are in Pauillac. Very glad, finally to get some of these on deck.

2005 La Conseillante. Even though I double decanted several hours in advance it is still quite cocooned but it tastes like a first growth. Blind I would have guessed Cheval Blanc or Petrus, which I know are quite different wines. Ever so refined and silky with incense and violets and other aromas. I think in a decade from now this will be magnificent. I bought this because Far Vintners, whom I trust - their track record has been very good in the 30 years I have been buying wine - reckon this is the pick of the Pomerols in 2005. I took the other 11 bottles off to my storage this afternoon. (Their ‘Latour’ like rating of 2019 Lynch Bages was why I bought silly amounts of that wine).
Sounds like I need to seek some of the 2005 Conseillante out Ian. What did you pay for it recently? Also when you mention your prices, its always in British pounds, not Euro's right?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

A couple of oldies, but goodies...

The 1986 Meyney showed wonderfully, a fresher bottle than some have been with a fill into the neck. Wonderful and complex. 93 pts.

The 1990 Louviere Rouge also was on form, not quite at the level of the Meyney, but still fresh and fruity, a very good bottle. 91-92 pts.

The 2018 Pepiere Briords Vieilles Vignes Muscadet was terrific and a great match for shrimp scampi. I wondered if the '18 would show overripe, but this vintage was delicious as always.

The 2018 Mas de Daumas Gassac Rouge was my first try of this producer, and I was very impressed. It needed a hour or two of air, and then some glorious fruit came out to play but without any heaviness or garish touches. The finish was a bit rough still, so this should be better in 5+ years.

The 2019 Pinon Nature Petillant Rose was fresh, simple and delightful. A great bargain as always.

Finally, a nice bottle of the 2002 Pol Roger Brut, which is mature and showing fine. Not a showstopper, just a solid bubbly without any hairs out of place. Drink now.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had a 2014 Malartic Lagraviere double-blind recently at a dinner... this showed terribly, guesses were all centered on modern Napa cab as this was gooey, oaky, boozy and glossy all at once. All four of us had the same reaction, and were shocked on the reveal (the person who brought it was equally shocked and appalled, and immediately sent his remaining bottles off to auction).

I’ve seen some love for the 15 and 16 of this wine, but it’s hard to imagine those show less modern and international than the 14 did. At any rate, not my cuppa at all.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

1961 Château Latour Grand Vin - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (3/12/2021)
High shoulder fill. Orange crust under a slightly bulging capsule. The cork was weak and came out in pieces but it all came out without any dropping inside the bottle.
Double decanted 3 hours before dinner with a short hold in the decanter. A small initial sample ensured it was good. Still plenty of color, not thinned out at the edge.
I think cigar box is an apt descriptor for the herbal character overlaying the reserved cherry/cassis fruit. So smooth, so balanced. Each sip a pleasure. Outstanding!

Posted from CellarTracker
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh man...
jal

Post by jal »

Chris, that is epic!!
Best

Jacques
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Racer Chris wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:44 pm 1961 Château Latour Grand Vin - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (3/12/2021)
I think cigar box is an apt descriptor for the herbal character overlaying the reserved cherry/cassis fruit. So smooth, so balanced. Each sip a pleasure. Outstanding!

Posted from CellarTracker
Usually ”Outstanding!” would be a highly positive adjective. But since 1961 Latour is one of the most legendary wines of the twentieth century it somehow doesn’t seem enough. It should be “ life-altering”, “ecstatic”, “ mind blowing”, “ 100+ points”, etc. While your bottle was obviously really good it doesn’t seem like it was as thrilling as it should have been. I hope I am wrong.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
jal

Post by jal »

With hanger steak, fried rice and a simple salad we had a very correct 2016 Bachelet Cote de Nuits Village. I am usually thrilled by this producer but today the wine was closed and giving very little. If this is typical, then I think 2016 Burgundies are to be put away for a while.
Best

Jacques
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

s*d*r wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:26 pm
Usually ”Outstanding!” would be a highly positive adjective. But since 1961 Latour is one of the most legendary wines of the twentieth century it somehow doesn’t seem enough. It should be “ life-altering”, “ecstatic”, “ mind blowing”, “ 100+ points”, etc. While your bottle was obviously really good it doesn’t seem like it was as thrilling as it should have been. I hope I am wrong.
I guess I didn't treat my bottle with the reverence some people expect is due. :roll: We weren't together to experience 1961 Ch. Latour. The Latour was there to enhance our enjoyment of being together on my father's 92nd birthday. It served incredibly well in that regard.
On Cellartracker, Outstanding covers 94-97 points. If pushed to provide a score I would give the wine 97 points. It was certainly the best mature Bordeaux I've ever had.
Mind-blowing, no. It didn't make me forget where I was. I did think, "why can't I have wine like this any time", though. :)
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Racer Chris wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:54 am
s*d*r wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:26 pm
I guess I didn't treat my bottle with the reverence some people expect is due. :roll: We weren't together to experience 1961 Ch. Latour. The Latour was there to enhance our enjoyment of being together on my father's 92nd birthday. It served incredibly well in that regard.
On Cellartracker, Outstanding covers 94-97 points. If pushed to provide a score I would give the wine 97 points. It was certainly the best mature Bordeaux I've ever had.
Mind-blowing, no. It didn't make me forget where I was. I did think, "why can't I have wine like this any time", though. :)
Sounds like a pretty damn good experience, but I think a 92nd birthday tops it! A saying from one of my favorite shows. If you reach 90's, "that's a helluva ride!"

Beats out the 1986 Rauzan Segla by a few hairs then? Quarter car length? :)
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

For any of the aeronautics afficionados amongst us, my dad currently owns, maintains, and flies an Ercoupe, which he purchased last year. He had a V-tail Bonanza well into his '80s. Did I mention he's like the Eveready Bunny?
I really wanted my youngest brother (52) to be at the party too but he's tied to his land and animals too tightly right now. He mostly sees Dad when he needs help with finances.

My best score of '86 R-S is 95. I really like that wine, and I have one more.
The '85 Ch. Margaux I drank last year got a 96, as did that 2000 Peby Faugeres I mentioned in the PB thread. Both of them were superlative on those occasions.
R-S, more than a car length but definitely less than a second behind. '85 Margaux, less than a car length.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That's amazing, Chris, he's like an '89 Lynch, still youthful and tannic, but with an epic core of fruit.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Racer Chris wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:23 pm For any of the aeronautics afficionados amongst us, my dad currently owns, maintains, and flies an Ercoupe, which he purchased last year. He had a V-tail Bonanza well into his '80s. Did I mention he's like the Eveready Bunny?
I really wanted my youngest brother (52) to be at the party too but he's tied to his land and animals too tightly right now. He mostly sees Dad when he needs help with finances.

My best score of '86 R-S is 95. I really like that wine, and I have one more.
The '85 Ch. Margaux I drank last year got a 96, as did that 2000 Peby Faugeres I mentioned in the PB thread. Both of them were superlative on those occasions.
R-S, more than a car length but definitely less than a second behind. '85 Margaux, less than a car length.
hmm, so you're saying I should try at least one of my two Peby Faugeres soon. I am now regretting popping the cork on the 98 recently instead. I will definitely be doing a 1986 Rausan soon though, as I just acquired 3.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Tonight, 2009 Ch. du Moulin Rouge. Maybe a little better balance in this bottle than previous ones.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight with beef Stroganoff we drank 2000 Lagrange. Some criticize Lagrange for being modern, but to me it tastes just like a St Julien in its class should. It has the St Julien elegance and balance that I prize and the taste of cassis and wild red berries is typical. The tannins are still firm and drying but not too tough for our meal. The finish is not as long as that of the 1999 Leoville-Barton we drank last night. Both Lucie and I preferred the Lagrange but are happy to drink either.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 2000 Lagrange was so good on release and cheap (I was able to reload for $45 in 2007), glad to hear it is starting to drink well.
stefan

Post by stefan »

No need to hurry, Patrick.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Had a 2010 Chateau Melin Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux last night. My curiosity was to know how a small wine from the 2010 vintage would taste 10 years down the road.

Color was light, more light Bourgogne red with light brown rim than darker red Bordeaux. Simple nose of red berries, roasted nuts, light oak and cherries. In mouth, not very concentrated, was probably better 2-3 years ago, but still enjoyable for it ripe cherries, roasted vanilla oak, and sweet merlot berry flavors. Light tannin, not that long, but ok for the price. Limited now. Rating : 222C
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Somehow was away from the BWE forum for awhile, but from memory, I have been testing some of the 2017 lately.
Ch Pibran 2017, very typical Pauillac fruit dark berries, black currant, very good flavors but lacks the tannic grip 88+

Ch Gloria 2017, actually a bit disappointed, clear dark fruit and oak nothing really bad, but a bit disjointed and just did not do it for me. 86

Ch Pedesclaux 2017, Dark fruit nice grip this was my first encounter with this wine, it will be an interesting estate to keep coming back to. Not fully up to the d'Armailhac standard for me. 89-90

Ch Haut Bages Liberal 2017, Very good wine but it was not as concentrated as I had hoped for, dark Pauillac fruit with good balance. 88-89

Ch La Lagune, 2017 WOW what a wine, this is awesome so typical Bordeaux, Dark fruits, black currant, classic cedar, very good structure this will improve with age. Clearly the best of these wines. 92+
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the report, Dandersson, for some reason NH doesn’t carry La Lagune, I gotta get some in my cellar.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Yes Jim, Caroline Frey certainly knows what she is doing. I am definitely going to start adding Ch La Lagune to my cellar. This was my first experience with La Lagune, and I am very impressed. If I remember it correctly I think Izak was a big fan of their 2017 also.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

JoelD wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:55 pm
Comte Flaneur wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:08 pm I drank two of my recent auction wins this weekend:

2000 Pontet Canet really hit the bullseye. I think I mentioned it earlier. Terrific wine. Some may find it modern but it has superb precision, and you know you are in Pauillac. Very glad, finally to get some of these on deck.

2005 La Conseillante. Even though I double decanted several hours in advance it is still quite cocooned but it tastes like a first growth. Blind I would have guessed Cheval Blanc or Petrus, which I know are quite different wines. Ever so refined and silky with incense and violets and other aromas. I think in a decade from now this will be magnificent. I bought this because Far Vintners, whom I trust - their track record has been very good in the 30 years I have been buying wine - reckon this is the pick of the Pomerols in 2005. I took the other 11 bottles off to my storage this afternoon. (Their ‘Latour’ like rating of 2019 Lynch Bages was why I bought silly amounts of that wine).
Sounds like I need to seek some of the 2005 Conseillante out Ian. What did you pay for it recently? Also when you mention your prices, its always in British pounds, not Euro's right?
Sorry Joel I missed this when I mention prices it is in British pounds - the Conseillante I paid £1800 for the case ex-taxes, which is a big hit but I think worth it. I hope to share a bottle with you one day bearing in mind you have plenty of years in hand over me. It is pretty good.

Meanwhile

Ch. Pontet Canet 2001, Pauillac

Bright laser sharp red berry and cherry fruits with reassuring gravel, mineral overtones with spicey, peppery and orange peel notes. You could accuse this of being clinical, but it exudes class. It has the stamp of modern winemaking but it is recognisably Pauillac, and similar to the outstanding 2000. Very happy to own the best part of a case of this and five bottles of the 2000. In my opinion these are a significant step up from the more rustic wines made in the mid-90s at this estate.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:00 am
JoelD wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:55 pm

Sorry Joel I missed this when I mention prices it is in British pounds - the Conseillante I paid £1800 for the case ex-taxes, which is a big hit but I think worth it. I hope to share a bottle with you one day bearing in mind you have plenty of years in hand over me. It is pretty good.

Meanwhile

Ch. Pontet Canet 2001, Pauillac

Bright laser sharp red berry and cherry fruits with reassuring gravel, mineral overtones with spicey, peppery and orange peel notes. You could accuse this of being clinical, but it exudes class. It has the stamp of modern winemaking but it is recognisably Pauillac, and similar to the outstanding 2000. Very happy to own the best part of a case of this and five bottles of the 2000. In my opinion these are a significant step up from the more rustic wines made in the mid-90s at this estate.
I think this is a good example of how modern red Bordeaux will age. Like people from today, they hold their youth for a longer time, keeping class and their origins. It should convince blanquito to buy a few 2016, even if he is not buying any wines in 2021. Personally, i'm looking forward to try my 2016 at age 20, they should be like... "Instand karma" from John Lennon with Plastic Ono Band.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A glass of the 2010 Chateau Guiraud. Delicious, midway between Sauternes and Barsac. Lot of botrytis, roasted oak, apricots, peaches, acacia flowers, quince, in a semi thick style. Long, citrus finish.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

1995 Cabreo Il Borgo Toscana
Super spicy, chocolatey nose, like a Mexican hot chocolate (without the cinnamon). A little typical VA, nice acids, mostly resolved finish with some drying wood tannin still lingering. For me, this is a lovely combo of predominantly Sangiovese with Cabernet in a supporting role. Fully ready, and starting to lose some tension, so drink now and enjoy. 90 pts
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

2018 Ch.de Camarsac, Bordeaux Superieur. I drank half the bottle Thursday, and was going to finish it last night. Mary took a sip and declared that it wasn't even drinkable, that it was something other than wine. While I hadn't been impressed with the flavor profile, I didn't think it was all that bad, maybe 83-84 points.
So I went to the kitchen and poured the remainder of my glass down the drain, and opened the next bottle in line - 2016 Ch. Lalande Borie, which was a bit more to Mary's liking and she even poured a glass for herself.
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

2010 Haut Bergey. More or less by chance I have had it twice in a row. It used to be tied for my lowest scoring Bordeaux and for its year my only "5th growth", but both times I had it I gave it 91 at least, so it is now promoted to a "4th growth." There are few bottles left (there never were many). rthomaspaull
AKR

Post by AKR »

Dandersson wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:52 pm Yes Jim, Caroline Frey certainly knows what she is doing. I am definitely going to start adding Ch La Lagune to my cellar. This was my first experience with La Lagune, and I am very impressed. If I remember it correctly I think Izak was a big fan of their 2017 also.
I've had a small cluster of her Jaboulet wines too in the last several months, and, for the first time in many years, the wines are good. That house is back on my 'buy' list. There was a long period of suckiness, where they lived off their name and distribution.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Opened a 2010 Uccelliera Brunello di Montalcino to go along with a sausage, tomato and pecorino risotto. The risotto dish is one of our favorites from a risotto book - that page actually has broken loose from the backing by now. The wine was my first bottle of Brunello from the 2010 vintage. Decanted for two plus hours before dinner, this wine is a bruiser in a very good way. It is a big shouldered wine with concentrated dark fruit flavors balanced with good structure to make it uplifting. The finish in quite long. I expected this to be a good bottle, but it was a grand bottle. I would give this wine 95 points, and it should be very good at least another 5-10 years if stored properly.
jal

Post by jal »

Passover Seder yesterday and with chopped liver on matzah we opened a 2008 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame, excellent Champagne from a great vintage and the little sweetness that is a characteristic of all Veuve Clicquot worked beautifully with the chopped liver.
With meatballs, lamb shanks and stuffed zucchini we had a 1968 Marqués de Murrieta "Castillo Ygay" Gran Reserva Especial Rioja. Fully resolved and delicious, this is deep with great complexity and went as well with the tamarind sauce of the zucchini as with the roasted lamb shanks.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Wow, a 68 Rioja from Murrieta! Those are borderline legendary wines at this point.
jal

Post by jal »

Blanquito wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:09 pm Wow, a 68 Rioja from Murrieta! Those are borderline legendary wines at this point.
Yes, our friends brought that. Just a wow wine! Descriptions cannot do it justice.
Best

Jacques
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

After tasting to be soon 500 bottles of Bordeaux 2018, I had a well-deserved break the previous Saturday, with an awesome treat of Petit Village 1929 (96p) , Cheval Blanc 1964 (96p) and Cheval Blanc 1983 (95p). It all happened at my friend's flat, a guy who finds so many great bottles in Europe. He's fully responsible for treating me recently with Petit Village 1950, Corbin 1945, 1959 and 1964! 8-) :D :ugeek:
Attachments
20210320_212906.jpg
20210320_200145.jpg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Not too shabby, Izak, I just bought even more 2015 and 2016 Corbin, looking forward to getting a case each of the 2018 and 2019.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Jim,

Great!

Don't forget Petit Village since the 2015 vintage! More expensive than Corbin (2-2.5 times) but equally impressive. Don't forget La Lagune!

Same Saturday I was treated with Corbin 2010 which tasted like 2-3 years old wine and was an unusually big bang and Beausejour Duffau 2014 and Cheval Blanc 2014 which both were in a baby fat package!
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

greatbxfreak wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:34 pm After tasting to be soon 500 bottles of Bordeaux 2018, I had a well-deserved break the previous Saturday, with an awesome treat of Petit Village 1929 (96p) , Cheval Blanc 1964 (96p) and Cheval Blanc 1983 (95p). It all happened at my friend's flat, a guy who finds so many great bottles in Europe. He's fully responsible for treating me recently with Petit Village 1950, Corbin 1945, 1959 and 1964! 8-) :D :ugeek:
Fantastic tasting Izak, quite jealous. Was 1929 a great vintage in Pomerol? I know you think highly of Petit Village, but for it to hold up that long and match or beat multiple vintages of Cheval. Very interesting.
stefan

Post by stefan »

We had some pretty good Bordeaux Friday and Saturday with stefanJr and Irena.
1986 Gruaud-Larose. This long time BWE favorite is still going strong. Even Patrick might agree that no more Blanquitoing is needed.
1985 La Lagune. Decent, but not up to many bottles of this we have drunk over the years.
1996 Lynch-Bages. I think stefanJr preferred this to the Gruaud. In this vintage L-B deserves a higher ranking than it got in 1855.
1983 La Lagune. corked.
1983 La Lagune. Fortunately, I had a backup bottle, which came from the same source as the corked bottle. It still has sweet fruit and, of course, the La Lagune finesse.
1995 Larmande. Not as good as some previous bottles we have drunk, but still better than its modest classification suggests.
2001 Ducru-Beaucaillou. Really inviting nose and has that D-C class. But it lacks the intensity that Ducru has in better vintages.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

2018 Labegorce - heady stuff, I like.
2014 d'Arcins - pretty good but felt a bit thin. A decent luncheon claret at $25, but a little pricey at $32.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I got a lone bottle of 2016 Larose Trintaudon, Chris, hold off on yours, perhaps we can do an online tasting. I’m going to be relatively alcohol free the next two weeks, as I have a couple big court events coming up.