What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Racer Chris

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by Racer Chris »

Dandersson wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:10 pm A good weekend with some wines that made me very happy.
Ch Lilian Ladouys 2018, dark dense black currant and black berry fruit, great concentration, great balance and structure. This one will likely evolve nicely for at least ten years. The biggest Lilian I have had. Now on a roll, this is the 5th year in a row that they produce wines of high quality. 90p
Ch Ormes de Pez 2018, Similar dense dark fruit, also great concentration, I give this one a slight win over Lilian just as with the 17. It appears a bit more complex. Both very St Estephey 90p+
Ch Camensac 2014, Very typical for 14, nice cold dark fruit with classic structure. This will continue to get better with a couple of more years. It could have been more complex and had longer after taste. But still a very good wine 88-89p.
Sarget de Gruaud Larose 2015, Clear classical St Julien dark fruit, good balance. It is a very good wine but somehow it did not impress as much as other wines this weekend. 87p.
I've never had a bottle of Ch. Camensac but I'm familiar with the other 3. :)

I opened a couple of older Bordeaux on Saturday and Monday: 1988 Ch. Haut-Marbuzet and 1978 Ch. Palmer.
On Sunday with friends I opened a 2012 Andrew Will Ciel du Cheval, 2012 Le Haut Medoc de Giscours, and 2012 Ch. Larose Trintaudon.
All were quite satisfying.
AKR

Post by AKR »

JoelD wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:15 am Opened an obscure 2000 Beau Soleil Pomerol turned out to be corked. Oh well, on to the next one 15 minutes later.

2000 Malartic Lagraviere. Perfect cork and bottle. Had all the same good bones of some of the younger(modern) vintages i've had recently (2005,2012). However this was much more my style. Fairly classic claret, not much modernness going on here. 13% alcohol. Very good wine. A little fruit left. I can tell this used to be a very fresh wine, although it seems to have come down from that. Not sure if it will improve with more time and tertiary notes or if it recently passed its peak. I enjoyed this very much, even at the relatively high price I paid compared to other vintages (70$ all in). 93pts if scoring it.
http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... 02&p=84980
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

AKR wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:39 pm
JoelD wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:15 am Opened an obscure 2000 Beau Soleil Pomerol turned out to be corked. Oh well, on to the next one 15 minutes later.
http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... 02&p=84980
Wish I had another to try Arv, seemed like it had good bones under that TCA. Oh well.

Last night I tried the 2000 Lanessan for the first time, on Marcus's recommendation. Another very nice, classic claret. 13% alcohol. Light and somewhat fresh, but still good tannic structure and just a small amount of fruit left. Great QPR. Almost as good as the the 2000 Malartic, but at half the price. For a 21 year old cru bourgois, I was very happy. 92pts if rating.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

An old fashioned Rioja drinking at peak, the 1995 Riojanas Monte Real Reserva. A flat out fantastic bouquet much like a mature claret except for the top note of sweet American oak which makes it smell of lavender and cherries. The palate is lighter and brighter, like a Pinot, but with terrific fruit to balance things. There are some Rhonish notes here too. Good length. Very food friendly. Overall, an A/A- bouquet and a B+ palate.

You know, we talk about the loss of traditional wine making in so many regions, but the effects may be no more complete than in Spain.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Not exactly lockdown anymore for us. Mary and I, as well as most of our friends and family, are fully vaccinated. Local mask requirements are being loosened substantially.
Anyway, Mary was at our friend Diane's mother's house for Happy Hour, which meant I would be alone for dinner. So I opened a 2014 Ch. Cantenac Brown to go with a cheeseburger tonight.
I opened one of these two or three years ago and the result was about the same. It gets better in the glass. Each glass is better than the previous one. The last glass is the best.
I had no trouble finishing the bottle over 2 1/2 hours. It went really well with dinner. My mushroom swiss burger was awesome.
:P
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Have not had the Cantenac Brown 2014, but nearly every 2014, has been a very nice experience.
I had the Chave Saint Joseph, Offerus 2018, very nice dark blackberry with peppery and bacon notes to pasta carbonara.
Enjoy your weekend!
Blanquito

Re: What are we drinking post-vaccination?

Post by Blanquito »

I changed the title of this thread, to reflect the facts on the ground.
stefan

Post by stefan »

1985 La Lagune with braised duck legs. The food was great; the wine good, but it was better ten years ago when the fruit was stronger, and will probably be better in ten more years, when the tertiary notes will be more pronounced. Lucie says that for now it should be paired with baked chicken.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Another bottle of the nice 2017 Domaine Duclaux La Germine Côte Rôtie. Very nice lightly roasted fruit, smooth smoke and meat, with a medium body and long finish. Some left for tonight too.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:06 am You know, we talk about the loss of traditional wine making in so many regions, but the effects may be no more complete than in Spain.
Sorry what do you mean by this?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I'm drinking a couple glasses of 2015 Ch. Senejac with a turkey sandwich for lunch today. Its really good.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2002 Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque Fleur de Millesime.
Lovely flavors; yeasty; long finish. Wish I had more.
Claret

Post by Claret »

2011 Rhys Skyline Syrah. Rhone like with minerality. Delicious.
Glenn
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Claret wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:26 pm 2011 Rhys Skyline Syrah. Rhone like with minerality. Delicious.
Never had their syrah. Sounds very good.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I finished the Senejac bottle at the start of dinner, and decided I deserved a treat after trimming shrubs most of the afternoon, so I opened a bottle of 2014 Domaine de Chevalier.
I grilled one of my brother's uncured ham steaks with assorted veggies, and served it with leftover roasted potatoes from breakfast.
Honestly, I don't see any reason to age this wine any further. It's offering great pleasure right now. What a perfect accompaniment to the meal.

And now I'm drunk....
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Racer Chris wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:40 pm
And now I'm drunk....
:lol:

The 2014 Domaine de Chevalier is a very nice wine, I agree. I hope the 2016 and 2018 will deliver too, as I bought some.

Count me in the red Pessac Léognan fan club. The 2005 Chateau Haut Bailly last night with JeanFred was excellent, starting it drinkability plateau (my wine storage is at a higher temperature. The 1996 Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou was even better, but two very great classical Bordeaux.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nicklasss wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:10 am
Count me in the red Pessac Léognan fan club. The 2005 Chateau Haut Bailly last night with JeanFred was excellent, starting it drinkability plateau (my wine storage is at a higher temperature. The 1996 Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou was even better, but two very great classical Bordeaux.
Wow, nice line up! Is the 05 Haut Bailly in the How Zone or is it still in Blanquito purgatory?

I think many 96s are in the mythical Howquito happy place.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've gotta believe the 2005 Haut Bailly needs at least another blanquito, probably two.
I have five 2006s left, I'm going to give those another good blanquito.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

JimHow wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:29 am I've gotta believe the 2005 Haut Bailly needs at least another blanquito, probably two.
I have five 2006s left, I'm going to give those another good blanquito.
Have you had an 06 recently Jim? I'm going to crack one soon. The one I had in Oct 2019 was in an amazing spot. I personally think 06 Bordeaux is drinking better than 05 in general right now.

Nice lineup Nicola, did you decant any? I had the 96 Ducru a year or two ago and it was young but in a good spot with a lot of air. A serious but still floral wine. Curious to hear more about the 05 Haut Bailly. I think i'll leave my one bottle for a Blanquito and a half.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It has been probably a decade since I last had the 2006, Joel, but I agree it is an excellent wine and I would definitely see it as more ready than the 2005.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Lately, opened a few red Bourgogne. All excellent in a prodigious way.

2018 Albert Bichot Morey Saint-Denis 1er Cru Sorbets : young, complex, very Morey, delicious, long, perfect for the price. A wine to rebuilt an incredibly great relationship with red Bourgogne...

2018 Glantenay Volnay: same description than from the Morey, except less complex and very Volnay.

2014 Domain d'Ardhuy Corton Renardes: the Corton hill complex, strange, fascinating fruit, with the long rock minerals finish. Drinks already niçely. Why we're not drinking more Corton? Marcus proved us we should drink more of it.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Les Hauts du Tertre 2012.
Day one: stunning nose of leather, soft tannins, medium to light bodied. Elegant, refined, fantastic value. Beautiful savoury notes.
Day two: leather even more pronounced and more tannic, chewy. Outstanding value.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2007 La Lagune with baked chicken, fennel, and leeks. The L-L is mature and goes well with the meal. Pretty nose and more solid in the mid palate than one expects from a 2007. Try one if you own it, but I advise not buying it as it will likely fall apart within the next year.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Just gobbled down some home made Thai red curry with tiger prawns.
Drinking a Yarra Valley Chardonnay- 2018 Soumah Hexham Vineyard.
Lovely wine that has lots of citrus, stone fruit and nutty oak characters aligned to decent minerality that gives a long, cool after taste. Enough power to cope with the Chili and coconut in the curry.

I did a zoom based tasting of these wines a few months ago and the Chardonnays were all very good and the Pinots pretty good in a modern, oaky style. Yarra Valey is going from strength to strength and is making excellent wines with balance and complexity as well as a lot of site specific characteristics.

Yesterday had an 2012 Amiot Morey St Denis which is very tasty without pretensions of greatness. I generally don’t bother with village Burgundy but the high prices of 1er Crus and GCs are forcing the issue somewhat.

Also drank a 2005 Terte Duguay St Emilion GCC which is starting to fall apart as the fruit is being beaten by the oak and tannins. It improves with air but simply lacks balance and I doubt it will ever improve. This estate no longer exists.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2015 Tous les Jours Syrah from Andrew Murray was again quite good last night. A bit more warm than the first time, but still a nice medicinal smooky cherry character, with medium density.

Was a good match with beef tenderloin on gas bbq.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

We opened a 2006 Ridge Geyserville to accompany a marinated, grilled pork tenderloin. It has been a number of years since my last bottle, and this was a very nicely developed and aged Geyserville. The tannins are pretty well resolved, the acidity has receded, and the fruit was really fragrant and flavorful. At this stage in its life, it almost resembled a nice red Burgundy. Perfect match for the pork tenderloin (and my last bottle).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I love Geyserville upon release with its voluptuous upfront fruit bomb fruit, I struggle to imagine it with so much age on it like you guys often drink it, but, you are honourable men... so are you all, all honourable men.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:33 pm I love Geyserville upon release with its voluptuous upfront fruit bomb fruit, I struggle to imagine it with so much age on it like you guys often drink it, but, you are honourable men... so are you all, all honourable men.
Two words for you, Big Jimbo:

American. Oak.

That shit gotta be tamed, man!

;)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2020 Chateau de Ripaille Vin de Savoie : white from Chasselas grape. Crisp, light, fresh, apples, mineral and lemon. Simple but good as Evian water.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

2002 Roumier Clos de la Bussiere with duck breast and roasted figs. Just outstanding. The force of Morey St. Denis with the perfume of Chambolle Musigny. Will last for years but already drinking extremely well. Gotta drink the good stuff!
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Opened a 1989 Ch Pichon Baron on Fathers Day. Another great bottle. This will drink great for at least another 10 years, maybe longer.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

SF Ed wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:43 am 2002 Roumier Clos de la Bussiere with duck breast and roasted figs. Just outstanding. The force of Morey St. Denis with the perfume of Chambolle Musigny. Will last for years but already drinking extremely well. Gotta drink the good stuff!
Totally agree.
Now sipping a 2008 Remoissenet Beaune Marconnets 1er Cru.
A very powerful Burgundy which belies the view that Beaune makes lightish wine. Very dark colour more like Pauillac. Slight mahogany rim. Nose is smoky with lots of red and dark fruit, slight plummy character and cassis. Yet with that autumnal character of Burgundy.

Palate is firmly oaky with cassis, red currant and cherry plus vanilla and undergrowth. Quite powerful with sweet fruit and quite drying oak. A big and powerful Burgundy that disproves any theory that Burgundy is light to medium bodied.

These Remoissenet reds are not for the faint hearted and will last for decades to come. By the way I import my own but do not sell them commercially.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2019 Carpineto Chianti Classico.

Very good for the low price, and very Chianti in style. Rasberries, cherries, violet flowers, fruity, acidity, slightly old school, yum with the simple cherry tomatoes/parsley/parmesan cheese pasta.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Nic
Sounds like a good combination.
One of my favs in Chianti Classico.
Cheers
Mark
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I finished another bottle of 2015 Larose Trintaudon last night which Mary had me open for her on Sunday night. Those last two glasses were excellent.
A $20 wine, that vintage L-T is already firing on all cylinders.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Yesterday, bbq with colleagues for Québec National Day, after all these months seeing them only on camera...

2 bottles of Henriot Brut Souverain : very good, classic half-rich and creamy Champagne. Yeasty and fruity.
1 bottle Drappier Brut Nature Champagne: more acidity, fresh, dry, bigger bubbles. Disappeared in two songs!
1 bottle of 2013 Muscadet that was highly good. Can't remember the producer. Flowery, minreal, salty, fresh, under the sun, as good as the Champagne.

And 3 Bordeaux:

2017 Chateau le Puy Cuvée Émilien: was very good when a little bit cold, with tons of red and blackfruits, but when warm lost almost everything.

2019 Chateau le Rey les Argileuses: everyone preferred that to the le Puy. Dense dark fruit, grey cardamom, mineral, great texture and length. Only bizarre thing, bottle in a Bourgognr type bottle...

2010 Chateau Gloria: the favorite. A good step up in quality and complexity. Great mix of fruit (red and black), integrated oak, tobacco, light coffee' soft spices. Rich and structured in mouth, with a great length. My best bottle of this and starting drinking nicely, and for the next 10-15 years.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

2010 Sociando-Mallet
Way not ready. Not even close.
stefan

Post by stefan »

With BBQ chicken, potato salad, and baked beans on the deck of our house on Lake Mercer we drank 2017 St Innocent Zenith and 2011 Ridge Buchignani Ranch Zinfandel. I expected the Zin to pair better with the BBZ, but the brightness, darker and deeper than usual Zenith fruit, and high acidity made the SI a better match. The Ridge showed some signs of age, some fruit having morphed into grass, and the tannins were soft. My guess is that it should be reversed blanquitoed, but I have not drunk it previously.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

In the last days, a very primary 2018 Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf-du-Pape with a rare roast of moose. Delicious.

A medium body excellent 2018 Matrot Meursault-Charmes 1er Cru with lobster rolls. It was the first time i cooked a 3.5 lbs lobster (normally i buy 2 smaller one) but the big one, cooked perfectly was as good as the smaller version.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nicklasss wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:26 am 2019 Carpineto Chianti Classico.

Very good for the low price, and very Chianti in style. Rasberries, cherries, violet flowers, fruity, acidity, slightly old school, yum with the simple cherry tomatoes/parsley/parmesan cheese pasta.
2007 Carpineto Fontalpino 'Do ut Des'
2007 Carpineto Fontalpino 'Do ut Des'
I had another bottling from Carpineto a week or two ago. They blend some French varietals to the Sangiovese in this one. For me, it doesn't taste very Tuscan, although its a good wine, but kind of heavy for summer drinking.