What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

SF Ed

Re: What are we drinking in the Dog Days of Delta?

Post by SF Ed »

Racer Chris wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:09 am Monday wine.
1FD310C2-9B76-4FDA-8BB2-748AA2571EA9.jpeg
Nice! Old Figeac is awesome, and I am a fan of 1970 as a vintage.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Hot weather, more Champagne - liked the $45 NV Turgy Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru a lot more than the $60 2016 Suenen extra brut Blanc de Blancs Oiry. The 2012 Vilmart Grand Cellier d’Or was better than either of the two previous but not really worth the extra bucks (I think it was around $100).

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looking forward to seeing you at the BD champagne reception on Friday, Winona, we will raise a toast!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

SF Ed wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:39 am
Racer Chris wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:09 am Monday wine.
1FD310C2-9B76-4FDA-8BB2-748AA2571EA9.jpeg
Nice! Old Figeac is awesome, and I am a fan of 1970 as a vintage.
My wife said, "I could drink thru a case of this."
jal

Post by jal »

A delicious 2017 Vougeraie Pinot Noir Terres en Famille. Perfumed, deep and complex with luscious bright fruit. A bargain and you guys can keep your Beaujolais and your Chinon, I’ll take a good Burgundy village over them any day of the week. 91

Btw, Burghound gives this an 86. I never trust this guys ratings anymore. Always rates by hierarchy. No Village would ever score higher than a certain rating, no 1er etc…. There is no room for overachievers in his book.
Sorry about the side rant
Best

Jacques
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

BTW, Jacques, I agree with your side rant about Burghound. I think he underscores village wines routinely. The trick is to figure out which ones. :)
jal

Post by jal »

In Costa Rica for a week with our son and his gf. We opened a couple of 2017 Meursault from Sylvain Bzikot négociant outfit that I bought at Grapes a year ago.

Narvaux was ripe and clunky, weird and short; cost $57

Charrons was balanced, deep and complex; great fruit and very satisfying; cost $51

Go figure.
Best

Jacques
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Yesterday Moet & Chandon mini bottle, followed by Ch Lilian Ladouys 2018, same as before this is a truly great Lilian dark berries (Black currant) slightly more Cab in the blend compared to other years. Great balance, Some oak, 90p. Drinking great now but will likely be even better in 5 years.
The occasion was to celebrate with my wife, that our daughter has finally arrived, born in the beginning of September.

Best, Dan
Last edited by Dandersson on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night in Florence (OR, not IT) Lucie and I drank 2016 Matrot Thierry et Pascale Matrot Puligny-Montrachet Les Chalumeaux 1er Cru with halibut. It was a great match for the fish, with fine citrus acid to cut through the slightly creamy sauce and an inviting bouquet.

The other night with slightly spicy smoked duck we drank a 2005 Chevillon NSG Roncieres that I bought at an auction last year. The taste was good and true, but the nose betrayed poor storage. An auction purchased 2007 Jadot Charmes-Chambertin was fine and already in its prime. The stuffing and class was there even if the wine was not designed to be served to a king. It was very good with the duck.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Congratulations, Danny, we will raise a toast to you, your wife, and daughter! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
What is her name?

How would you compare the 2018 Lilian Ladouys to the 2016?
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Hi Jim,
Thank you!

I think the 2018 is the best effort so far that I have tasted from Lilian, I have not tasted the 16 vs the 18 but my experience with 16 has been very good I would say 88-89p but the 18 (90p) is a bit better in my view partly due to that it feels a bit bigger and with darker fruits.
Last edited by Dandersson on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Tonight's wine, Ch Cantemerle 2016, Blackcurrant, great tannic structure fresh acidity, wow this is good. Classic Bordeaux flavors there is some smoky oaky cedar stuff here. I remember I preferred the 14 over the 16 awhile back. If I can find the 14 and 16 again for reasonable prices I will have to buy them for a direct comparison. Great wine 90p
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, the 14/15/16 Cantemerle trio is excellent.
Then again, this property is consistently great.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Dandersson wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:56 pm Yesterday Moet & Chandon mini bottle, followed by Ch Lilian Ladouys 2018, same as before this is a truly great Lilian dark berries (Black currant) slightly more Cab in the blend compared to other years. Great balance, Some oak, 90p. Drinking great now but will likely be even better in 5 years.
The occasion was to celebrate with my wife, that our daughter has finally arrived, born the 2 of September.

Best, Dan
Now you'll have to start scouring the world to see what great wines are worth laying down for the decades in 2021 !

Congratulations.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Thank you AKR!
Yes I am already working on that. Have you heard anything regarding potential quality of Northern Rhone 2021, I know that they had that frost is Bordeaux. I may have to go for some wines outside of my budget. Will have to aim for wines with 15+ years potential. So I can enjoy them with her.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Tonight with jumbo lump crab cakes, gazpacho and roasted carrots - we went with Roederer Brut Premier NV Champagne. Nice entry level Champagne (about $45 for a 750) but the crab cakes and gazpacho were the stars of the meal.

Chris Bublitz
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight at the over rated Waterfront Depot Restaurant we drank 2014 Henri Gouges Les Chaignots NSG. It is a pure NSG with a tart wild strawberry taste. The nose is still shy but matches the flavor in the mouth. Enjoyable now, but it should be blanquitoed.
jal

Post by jal »

Dandersson wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:56 pm The occasion was to celebrate with my wife, that our daughter has finally arrived, born the 2 of September.

Best, Dan
Congratulations! Great news.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Congratulation Dandersson, a great news.

Your daughter birthday is the same as my godson!

All the best to your little family, and i think you need minimum a great 2021 red Bordeaux, to enjoy with your daugther in many years.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Congratulations Dan on the birth of your first child and daughter. A life changing experience, even though when my daughter was born in 1997 I had to trade in my Lotus for a Volvo. And there is still time for 2021 to be a miracle vintage.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Congrats, Dan and family! Many happy days ahead.

Our kids were born in 1985 (easy choices for birth year wines) and1987 (pretty much California, but plenty of good choices.) Of course, the 1987'er is the one who's into wine, with a real focus on Italian wines. The nuts don't fall far from the tree!
Claudius2

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by Claudius2 »

Racer Chris wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 am My consumption over the last 2 1/2 weeks, most recent at the top:
2012 Château D'Arvigny
2012 Château Talbot
2010 Bodega Dominio Buenavista / Veleta Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Merryvale Chairman's Selection
2010 Château Larose-Trintaudon
2009 Château Lalande
1978 Château La Lagune
2015 Château Fourcas Dupré
2009 Château Larose-Trintaudon
2014 Château Sénéjac
2016 Château D'Arvigny
2012 Château Garraud
1986 Château Gruaud Larose
2015 Sheridan Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Crossfork Creek
2009 Château La Cardonne
Chris
Wow you have been busy!
Cheers
Mark
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

In my case, drank 2010 Haut Bergey Pessac Leognan reviewed separately.
Other than that I’ve drunk a lot of Chardonnay.
The heat here has been oppressive with 99% humidity and storms every day. The sun then comes out and the humidity is so high that by 7pm, dew starts falling like light rain.
When we can finally be free from COVID and resultant travel restrictions, we intend to spend more time in cooler climates ( no not just to drink wine of course…) as I finding the tropical climate too much now.

A few examples:

2018 Ashbook Estate Margaret River Chardonnay.
Inexpensive and very reliable. Good citrus, stone fruit and nuts. Firm acidity and clean finish. Albeit a little coarse but very drinkable. Good to very good.

2018 Thompson Estate Margaret River.
Better than the Ashbook but also a more expensive wine. Good cool fruit with citrus, lime, peach and vanilla, some acid on the finish. Excellent wine with length and balance.

2013 Giant Steps Sexton Vineyard Yarra Valley.
Seems really young. These wines seem to last decades. Light yellow gold, nose is very fruity with lemon sherbet, pineapple and vanilla. Palate is long and cool, medium bodied and tightly wound. These wines are excellent but won’t be to everyone’s taste as they are fine boned and delicate. Excellent at least. Have 11 more.

2015 Credaro 100 Crowns Margaret River
Very interesting wine but I wonder if there were storage issues.
I have drunk five of these in recent months and the best were outstanding with everything you could ask for in Aust Chardonnay- lots of rich, complex fruit that comes in layers, vanilla, smoky oak and well balanced acidity, cleansing the palate. Quite full bodied and a sipping wine that is viscous and powerful. Yet a few were plain and almost flat. C’est la vie.

2016 Bellvale Gippsland Chardonnay
The region is southern Victoria south of the Yarra Valley. Huge area though vineyards are spread out all over the place thus wines are idiosyncratic rather than typical.
12.5% alcohol and with considerable acidity. the palate is medium bodied and with flavours of citrus and pineapple though not sweet or cloying. The acidity is quite sharp and maybe the fruit was a bit under-ripe. Pretty good wine overall but lacks a bit of balance.

2014 Remoisennet St Romain
Okay a white Burgundy not Aust Chardonnay but I love the wines of this Domaine and even more so in 2014. A modest wine in the Burgundy firmament but a really nice wine, lots of quince, honey and citrus with good viscosity and clean, almost Chablis like minerality and steely characters. This was the last bottle from the case and an absolute bargain as I imported it myself including clearance at the airport and unloading the pallet.

2017 Coldstream Hills Yarra Valley
Well known Estate though this is the regular estate wine and moderately priced. The single vineyard wines are better though twice the price. Once owned by author and critic James Halliday and his 1988 Rising and Shantell Vineyard Chardonnay remains the best Yarra Valley white I’ve ever tasted. Anyway, this was apleasant, light to medium bodied Chardonnay with minerality and citrus fruit. Not particularly complex but very good in its own right. Quite Chablis like, stony and fine acidity, befitting a cooler vintage.

Cheers
Mark
Racer Chris

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by Racer Chris »

Claudius2 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:27 pm
Racer Chris wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 am My consumption over the last 2 1/2 weeks, most recent at the top:
2012 Château D'Arvigny
2009 Château La Cardonne
Chris
Wow you have been busy!
Cheers
Mark
Its about the same every few weeks Mark. Plenty of cheap Bordeaux, with a Classed Growth thrown in occasionally. This summer I've mixed in more white wine than in the past, particularly German Riesling.

I'm going thru a selection of 2012 Bdx right now: Domaine de Chevalier, Pierre de Montignac, Potensac, GPL, Les Vieilles Pierres, d'Arvigny.
They seem to be in a nice early drinking window.
Cheers,
Chris
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night we drank a marvelous bottle of 1985 La Lagune. Tertiary notes of leather and tobacco accompanied the same fruit this wine had when it was young. This bottle had proper provenance. I hasten to add that bottles purchased at USA auctions are virtually certain to be shot and strongly recommend avoiding them no matter how attractive the price may seem to be.

We also drank a disappointing bottle of 2012 Giscours. Despite being listed at "only" 13.5%, the alcohol was noticeable and there were no Margauxberries. The structure was good, so this wine might become good in time.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:43 pm Last night we drank a marvelous bottle of 1985 La Lagune.
When on, the 85 LL can give the 78 and 82 a real run for their money. Glad you got a good one.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2019 Quintas de Simaens Borges Vinho Verde

Light yellow. Nose of lemon, honey, flowers and something of tropical fruit. Mouth is fresh, dry, with flavors of grape skin, lemoncello, citrus zest. Quite good, with light bitter fruit on the final.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Now sipping NV Champagne, Roger Coulon 1er Cru Cuvée Henri Hodie. No idea who he is but this was at the back of the wine fridge and I’d forgotten it was there.
The colour is almost Rose’ like. Nose shows high PM content with brioche, red currant and honey. The wine was disgorged in 2018 and is quite developed. Not bad at all though it has come forward rather fast and lacks freshness.
jal

Post by jal »

Mark,
What is high PM?
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

Thank you Chris
Best

Jacques
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Congratulations! Great news.
[/quote]

Thank you Jal!
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Nicklasss wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:46 pm Congratulation Dandersson, a great news.

Your daughter birthday is the same as my godson!

All the best to your little family, and i think you need minimum a great 2021 red Bordeaux, to enjoy with your daugther in many years.
Thank you Nic, Yes I need to get some of the great Second Growth from 2021, Hopefully it will be a good vintage.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Tom In DC wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:05 am Congrats, Dan and family! Many happy days ahead.

Our kids were born in 1985 (easy choices for birth year wines) and1987 (pretty much California, but plenty of good choices.) Of course, the 1987'er is the one who's into wine, with a real focus on Italian wines. The nuts don't fall far from the tree!
Thank you Tom! Yes it will be interesting to see if she will develop the same love for Pauillac as I have.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night we drank two Grand Cru Classe St Emilions from estates that I do not know well. I bought a 1989 La Dominique from auction mainly because I taste the wonderful 1982 at a BWE event. This beautiful wine has a bouquet of alfalfa soaked in coffee and the leather in the mouth was steeped in a red cherry syrup. I hope to come across more old bottles of this.

The 2005 Chauvin is very tannic and not completely formed. One blanquito may not be enough. The fruit is probably sufficient for the wine to be good after maturity, but I did not find enough potential to warrant buying more.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Loved the 89 La Dominique since the first time I had it at a Fabio’s dinner 11–12 years ago. Hard to backfill anymore it seems.

Tonight, another tasty, refined, umami-driven 2005 Malartic-Lagravière Blanc. I understand why this profile — citronella, caraway seed, salt cured lemons, wax and lanolin, maybe a touch sherried — isn’t for everyone but as long as these eschew overt oxidative notes, I am a big fanboy.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

A quick search turned up that Fabio’s night, click for a little memory lane action: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1890&p=12826&hilit= ... see#p12826
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

stefan wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:59 pm Last night we drank two Grand Cru Classe St Emilions from estates that I do not know well. I bought a 1989 La Dominique from auction mainly because I taste the wonderful 1982 at a BWE event. This beautiful wine has a bouquet of alfalfa soaked in coffee and the leather in the mouth was steeped in a red cherry syrup. I hope to come across more old bottles of this.

The 2005 Chauvin is very tannic and not completely formed. One blanquito may not be enough. The fruit is probably sufficient for the wine to be good after maturity, but I did not find enough potential to warrant buying more.
Glad to hear this is good, as I also bought one at auction after trying the great 82. Was this on winebid sometime in the last year?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

jal wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:06 pm Mark,
What is high PM?
Pinot Meunier
Cepage is 20% Chardonnay, 20% PN and 60% PM.
I drank the rest of a six bottle case soon on arrival and it was more fruity, with lemon, grapefruit and some nutty/toasty complexity, but given a few years in the wine fridge at 12-13C, it changed a lot.

Also drank another Cattier Brut Icone NV.
Funny, this was much better than the previous bottle though it was from a different case, picked up in an online sale.
Similar style to Moet, light to medium body, long and clean and quite fruity. Maybe a bit simple but quite pleasant.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

"Congratulations Dan on the birth of your first child and daughter. A life changing experience, even though when my daughter was born in 1997 I had to trade in my Lotus for a Volvo. And there is still time for 2021 to be a miracle vintage."

Thank you Comte, at least I don't have a Lotus that I need to give up :). Yes hoping for 2021 to be at least very good if not excellent.

Celebrations continued with
2014 Ch Phelan Segur, seemed dry and uninspiring at first, came around with more air, wow a wall of dark Cab based fruit, this has a lot of structure and the fruit to support it. Very good balance, dark tea like flavors are present. Great wine! 90p
2015 Ch Lalande St Julien, Starts of rather thin and a bit metallic, but no worries, air also changes this wine great fruit is growing with aeration. Lush dark silky St Julien. Great QPR 88-89p
2016 Ch Lafon Rochet, This has a great smoky oaky character with a lot of fruit, nice tannins and acid, great balance and power, still very young, will need several years to show its full potential. 90p
2016 Lacoste Borie, This is a great effort, the Pauillac fruit (Cab based black currant/cassis) is very pure not as complex as the bigger names but so much enjoyment in the glass. good balance, not powerful but so tasty. Might become better with some more age but love it as is. 90p+
2003 Ch Les Ormes de Pez, WOW! The flavor bomb, I was worried it would be over the hill. So many aromatic mature flavors, a truly amazing fully mature Bordeaux. This was from a half bottle, Ready to drink, don't wait 90-91p.