What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

JoelD

Re: What are we drinking in the Dog Days of Delta?

Post by JoelD »

2002 Phelps Insignia- Cocktail wine, actually enjoyable but not worth anything near the price tag. A bit jammy and over extracted, but does have Some of the complexity and depth that I look for in a cab blend.

2016 Lagrange- Much lighter bodied and approachable than I would think. A decant softened too much. The PNP tastes were very good with food after about an hour open.

2005 Jadot Gevrey Chambertin village- This makes me want to buy up village burgs from great vintages. Sexy spices and depth of character. Really showing the terroir. Very excited for my 2005 CSJ and Estournelles from Jadot after trying this.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JoelD wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:55 pm 2002 Phelps Insignia- Cocktail wine, actually enjoyable but not worth anything near the price tag. A bit jammy and over extracted, but does have Some of the complexity and depth that I look for in a cab blend.
Big +1. And such a shame as Insignia and Eisele were once upon a time two of the great iconic cali cabs.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Blanquito wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:44 am
JoelD wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:55 pm 2002 Phelps Insignia- Cocktail wine, actually enjoyable but not worth anything near the price tag. A bit jammy and over extracted, but does have Some of the complexity and depth that I look for in a cab blend.
Big +1. And such a shame as Insignia and Eisele were once upon a time two of the great iconic cali cabs.
My wine buddy says this is the greatest wine ever made in any vintage from any producer from anywhere in the world.

No more Bordeaux masterpieces for him :roll: .
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2018 Le Fraghe Bardolino: excellent. Flowers, cherries, christmas cake, with very good length even with the low structure.

2020 Abbia Nova Cesanese del Piglio: very grapey, some spices. Big, taste very ripe/sweet, but completely dry (1.7 g sugar/liter). A bit like an overweighted Beaujolais.

2020 Sottimano Bric del Salto Dolcetto: light, with a great drinkability, and a light austerity with the fruit. Very good.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I've been pleasantly surprised by two Medoc CBs in a row over the past few days.
2014 Patache d'Aux - While I had mixed results, including TCA, from my first 5 bottles, this one gets a B+. One of the better $15 bottles I've had in a while.
2014 Ch. du Retout - Opened tonight to go with a calzone from the local pizza joint. Smooth tannins, earthy dark fruit profile. Not complex, but already quite pleasant. B/B+
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

On Friday night, a showdown of 2008 Champagne - Dom Perignon vs Bollinger Grande Annee. They were both fabulous but very different, Grande Annee was rich and dense and seemed more mature than the Dom which seemed younger and was sensationally electric.

These were followed by a wonderful mature 1982 Le Gay (Pomerol) and a couple more red Bordeaux that I can’t remember right now. The evening ended with 1988 Rieussec savored with a roasted pear dessert. Still enjoying the leftovers of the Rieussec which has not deteriorated in the least after being opened many days ago.

Tonight we are enjoying a bottle of Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese “Schmitt”. Wonderful stuff, lightly sweet with great fruit flavor and low alcohol. Went very nicely with sushi from my neighborhood Whole Foods.

It’s a tough life I know.

Chris Bublitz
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

September is (clearly) Pomerol month on channel BWE, slated to reach its triumphant conclusion at Black Salt, the last day of September, in our nation’s capital, in the bounteous BWE bosom of bonhomie.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Finally able to sign in again. A recent Windows update snafu was an issue. The most recent update has reversed the issue.

1996 Lagrange, drinking at peak, pleasurable but I do not see further upside.
Glenn
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Well no wine for me for a few days.
Just had my third Pfizer vax (Singapore wants everyone vaccinated now) and while the first two (March and early April) had no real effect on me, the booster is knocking me around - wondering if the virus would be as bad. Surprisingly my temperature is normal but that is about all. Ouch.
jal

Post by jal »

Claret wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:03 am Finally able to sign in again. A recent Windows update snafu was an issue. The most recent update has reversed the issue.

1996 Lagrange, drinking at peak, pleasurable but I do not see further upside.
Welcome back Glenn, sorry about the technical issues, hopefully it should all be well now.
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

Winona Chief wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:34 am
These were followed by a wonderful mature 1982 Le Gay (Pomerol) and a couple more red Bordeaux that I can’t remember right now. The evening ended with 1988 Rieussec savored with a roasted pear dessert. Still enjoying the leftovers of the Rieussec which has not deteriorated in the least after being opened many days ago.
Le Gay is definitely only for the patient!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2020 Corbières La Garnotte from Jean-Noel Bousquet. La Garnotte mean pebble.

This is inexpensive (11$ here) but that mix of carignan, syrah and grenache is well made. Good core of meat, red berries, light spices mixture, with lot of sunny fruits and spices in mouth. This has also good light structure and light freshness. Simple but for the price, can't complaint at all.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

'86 Gruaud-Larose
Mary thought it was perfect. We fought over the last glass.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Drinking the second half of a bottle of the 89 Le Gay, and what a terrific, rustic, powerful wine. Brimming with character, this combines a firm, minerally persona with layers of lavender and plums. Big, long, authentic. 93-94 pts.
AKR

Post by AKR »

It's Shark Week / Le Gay week on the BWE Channel!
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:11 am Drinking the second half of a bottle of the 89 Le Gay, and what a terrific, rustic, powerful wine. Brimming with character, this combines a firm, minerally persona with layers of lavender and plums. Big, long, authentic. 93-94 pts.
This may be brought to Pomerol night, I'm excited to try.

Did you freeze it? Please remind me to ask you about this sometime over the weekend. I'm baffled. We were talking about this at a dinner recently and none of us could figure it out.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JoelD wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:24 am
Blanquito wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:11 am Drinking the second half of a bottle of the 89 Le Gay, and what a terrific, rustic, powerful wine. Brimming with character, this combines a firm, minerally persona with layers of lavender and plums. Big, long, authentic. 93-94 pts.
This may be brought to Pomerol night, I'm excited to try.

Did you freeze it? Please remind me to ask you about this sometime over the weekend. I'm baffled. We were talking about this at a dinner recently and none of us could figure it out.
Yes, I froze it for a good while before drinking the second half. Ever since I read about it in one of Parker’s books (where he swore it works extremely well), I’ve been freezing wine, for over 20 years now and it does work even with old wines (most of the time). Even if the wine is, say, only nearly as good as when first opened, that still works for me (and much better than the Coravin). White wines throw tartaric crystals after freezing, but that doesn’t effect the taste.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Now over the third Pfizer vax.
I will be in no hurry to get any more vaccines.....

Last night had an 2009 Alkoomi Blackbutt Cabernet Blend (63% CS, 22% Malbec, the rest Merlot and CF). Frankland River (WA).
This is the estate's top wine, with 13.9% ABV.
Very dark with medium to full body, seems very young, quite oaky and firmly tannic.
I have several more and will not be in a hurry to drink.
It is very good to excellent, not quite in the highest category despite a relatively high price (about AUD80-90).
Lots of fruit depth though not exactly in balance with the acid and oak being rather prominent now.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Last night I opened a bottle of 2014 Ch. Saint Pierre, and tonight I'm drinking the second half. Boy, I wish I had bought more than 4 bottles. I only have one left now, and I'm really liking this one.
It's very drinkable right now, and shows lots of Cabernet character. And I believe it has the stuff to go another 10-15 years or more.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Racer Chris,
Still possible to buy more...

Best, Dan
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I know, I looked. The price hasn't risen too far from where I bought either. However I'm in a bit of a buying hiatus at the moment, having overspent in the first half of the year.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Last night, after finishing the St Pierre, I popped the cork on a bottle of 2014 Ch. Marsac Seguineau and had just a glass.
Tonight I'm eating alone at home and the remainder of that bottle just wasn't enough, so I opened a bottle of 2014 Ch. Meyney which was waiting in the wings.
Tonight my wine was accompanied by a large Caprese salad using basil harvested from two pots in an east facing window downstairs (Canadian tomatoes too), followed by a (140g) Certified Angus cheeseburger (complex herb/spice blend added) and local organic radishes on the side.
Not convention level but ...
I'll stop at one glass of the Meyney tonight and put the rest under vacuvin.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Last night I had dinner out. While I was cruising down Rte9 along the CT river, getting close to my exit ramp I saw a car in the distance entering the road from the next entrance ramp that looked intriguing - so I stayed on the highway. No way I was going to catch up in my Subaru though. That car scooted up ahead so fast I only had an impression that I knew what it was. I followed and eventually caught up at the bottom of the next exit ramp, and then chased it down a couple of sidestreets to an industrial building. It was my friend Karl taking another test drive in his 914-4 after dealing with some carburetor problems.
I followed him home and while getting on the highway I looked at the tach on my own dash - 5000 rpm - :o !
I don't think I've ever sustained that rpm in that car ever before, and I still wasn't keeping up.
I was actually on my way to his house to help with the ball joints on his 914-6, eat a steak dinner on his back porch, and then look at some youtube 914 videos in the man cave upstairs in his carriage house - while sipping on a glass of 1964 Schloss Reinhartshausen Beerenauslese. I understand that wines like this are rare and valuable and have great character. I enjoy a glass now and then but they just aren't compelling to me. Only one time was I somewhat smitten by a TBA that Cranburgundy (Dennis) brought to a wine dinner.
Dinner wine was 1983 Domaine de Chevalier, which was an excellent accompaniment to the Porterhouse with grilled veggies and garlic bread. Not a blockbuster or a wine to contemplate, but it showed great poise and maturity from start to finish, without any signs of falling off after 2 hours.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Now what did I drink over the last week?

2009 Doisy Daene-Barsac
Quite rich gold colour, slightly orange.
Nose has masses of ripe apricot, marmalade and tropical fruit.
Similar palate with good acidity and a fair bit of vanilla oak.
I had one glass on three separate nights with very consistent notes, though we need to consume the rest soon.
It is a very good sweet wine but one smallish glass is enough for me.

2015 Remoissenet Givry (Blanc) La Preffiere' du Roi Henri IV
I consumed a 12 bottle case of the 2014 over the last year or two (no, not all at once), along with the 2014 St Romain (the latter is considerable better).
Light gold colour, nose of yellow fruit, slightly floral, no evident oak and a nice stony/minerally note.
Palate was light to medium bodied, and pleasant and round without being compelling.
Fruit reminds me of apples, quince and green pineapple (without the overt sweetness of a ripe one).
I'd happily drink it but would not buy again, and the 2014 was a few steps up.
The 2015 has some mineral/stony characters but it is too simple for more than a good+ rating.
My palate says that 2014 and 2017 are the vintages to buy for White Burgundy.

Charles Cazanove Brut Tradition NV "Tete du Cuvee".
Cazanove has lots of different labels and names, so what this means in relation to his releases, I have no idea.
It has been in the wine fridge for 2-3 years. Nice burnished gold, with persistent bead.
Nose is powerful, with brioche, honey, citrus and baked apple.
Palate is similarly firm and intense. There is a touch of sweetness but it is balanced by the pithy intensity of the fruit.
Very good Champagne without being in the top class.

Veuve Fourny Brut 1er Cru.
Well I found this at the back of a wine fridge and it has been stuck there for at least five years.
I bought it in 2015 or 2016.
Anyway, I should have drunk it a few years ago. It was very citrussy, but this bottle lacks fruit and was a bit dull.
There is some lemon sherbet and honey, a touch of toastiness and minerality but is a bit hollow in the middle and seems rather tired.
Okay but rather disappointing as I have always liked this wine.

2015 Grosset Piccadilly (Adelaide Hills) Chardonnay.
Grosset is renowned as one of the very best Riesling makers in Australia, though his other wines are just as good.
This wine was served a bit too cold, muting the fruit, and as it warmed, various flavours came to the fore - citrus, white peach, green apple and nutty oak. There is considerable mineral/acid characters to refresh the palate.
Medium bodied with good length, it is a personal favourite though this was not a good as previous bottles.
Very good at least - prior bottles I rated as excellent.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2019 Maias Dao.

Dark, very portuguese with flowers, dark chocolate and acidic red berries. That acidity gives lot of nerve and length to the wine. Tasty, red berries, good tannins, minerals. Simple, affordable, friendly, good.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Last nite, 2018 Etna rosso Tornatore. Nero mascalese. Light red color, lot of berries, violet flowers, spices, something gamey, black licorice. Very nice with pizza.

Tonite, 2016 Chateau la Tour de By. Dark, nice, young, that nice 2016 fresh fruit, with minerals and spices. Rich and severe at the same time. Very good now and promising. Is 2016 the new 198x?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2019 Thivin Reverdon Brouilly Beaujolais
A fresh, fruity, (slightly) herbal bowl of perfectly ripe strawberries. Zesty red zinger palate, sappy and long, but light and airy. Per usual, this shows much better after a freeze-thaw cycle. Maybe a tad simple, but simply delicious.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Blanquito wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:33 am 2019 Thivin Reverdon Brouilly Beaujolais
A fresh, fruity, (slightly) herbal bowl of perfectly ripe strawberries. Zesty red zinger palate, sappy and long, but light and airy. Per usual, this shows much better after a freeze-thaw cycle. Maybe a tad simple, but simply delicious.
I felt the same tonight with a 2019 Foillard Beaujolais.

Look great that Thivin. We're due : a B n B night, Bordeaux n Beaujolais.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

This Les Saint Georges was simply complex, long and excellent, bot no Grand Cru level.
Attachments
Sometimes, it is good to turn the World around
Sometimes, it is good to turn the World around
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

:cry: iI know, i know, wonk I.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Fire Gully Chardonnay 2019, Margaret River, Western Australia (you have been warned, this is not a wine for drinking, it is one for laying down…and avoiding…) that was what I thought when I saw the name: fire in your gully, fire in your belly? A week day quaffer - apparently this is the owner’s house white - from the Pierro stable it has that recognisable racy Margaret River Chardonnay signature, but I think it would be even better if they toned down the oak a bit. They have given it too much a nudge. The 14% abv is less of a problem IMO. This is a wine that can easily last for a week or more in your fridge door and is probably showing its best from day three. I am hopeful this will settle down a bit after a couple of years. At the discounted price of £16.95, reduced from £19.95, I really have no complaints though.

Andre Perret St-Jo 2014…I love this wine and in the 2014 it is verging on being skinny and narrow. It certainly lacks generosity. But it is the essence of Northern Rhone Syrah. It is cheap too, but it is difficult to track down older vintages but last week I ordered a case of 2017. I will probably start drinking them in 2024 or 2025.

Lukas Van Loggerenberg Chenin Blanc Trust Your Gut, 2017, South Africa. The first bottle of LVL that left me a little bit disappointed. It lacked the freshness and vibrancy of earlier bottles. Is this already starting to decline? May be just an untypical bottle.

Ch. Gruaud Larose, 2005. Purchased after our 2005 dinner. Matched with rack of lamb. Black pastille and leafy notes, medium bodied, racy and elegant. Effortlessly classy. Nothing forced. Not even the merest suggestion of Brett. It is already well into its drinking window and is an absolute delight. It is so fleet-footed, especially in the context of quite a hot vintage with wines characterised by denseness and power rather than elegance. I dearly wish I had a case of this rather than two more bottles because this is going to be fabulous over the next 15 years while the bigger 2005s come around.

Domaine Lafouge Meursault Les Cases Tetes, 2017. Delicious and great value. Iirc it was about £300ib. Not the last word in Cotes de Beaune complexity, however. But still enjoyable and quaffable.

Hermitage La Chapelle 2007. Matched with beef on the bone. Double decanted three hours in advance. Initially brooding, tannic and bitey, but it mellowed well over the evening. It is not as profound as the 78 or 90 but it is a beautiful expression of Hermitage and HLC. Blue and red fruits, autumnal notes, leafy and forest floor, with licorice and menthol, cinder ash, tobacco and dabbed cigarette; an absolute pleasure.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nicklasss wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:09 am
Blanquito wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:33 am 2019 Thivin Reverdon Brouilly Beaujolais
I felt the same tonight with a 2019 Foillard Beaujolais.

Look great that Thivin. We're due : a B n B night, Bordeaux n Beaujolais.
Count me in!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I mentioned in another thread that I've been drinking a fair number of 2014s. Here's the list of ten I consumed and enjoyed since August 1st:
Château Lilian Ladouys
Château La Tonnelle Haut-Médoc
2014 Château Meyney
Château Marsac Séguineau
Château Saint-Pierre
Château du Retout
Château Patache d'Aux Médoc
Château d'Arcins
Château Grand-Puy Ducasse
Château Meyney
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night with hanger steak I drank a glass of 2002 Leoville Poyferre. The sweet fruit is a match for the strong tannins in this concentrated St Julien, and the black currant and boysenberry smell and taste is good. This wine will live for a long time, but it is an attractive choice for drinking now with heavy beef.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm a BWE wine of the year, the 2002 Leoville Poyferre.
Sounds like you’re feeling better Stefan?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Much, Jim; 80-90% of normal. I'll probably resume full time work tomorrow. Today a cystoscopy confirmed that I have no recurrence of the bladder cancer. My innards will rest until I start maintenance BCT therapy in three months. Cipro seems to have taken care of the post kidney operation UTI that contributed to much of my suffering this past month.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh man that’s good news!
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

stefan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 pm Much, Jim; 80-90% of normal. I'll probably resume full time work tomorrow. Today a cystoscopy confirmed that I have no recurrence of the bladder cancer. My innards will rest until I start maintenance BCT therapy in three months. Cipro seems to have taken care of the post kidney operation UTI that contributed to much of my suffering this past month.
Great to hear, Bill! I hope to see you and Jan soon to make up for the missed convention
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, guys.

Joel, we hope to make it to Oregon in November. When will you be there?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

stefan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 pm Much, Jim; 80-90% of normal. I'll probably resume full time work tomorrow. Today a cystoscopy confirmed that I have no recurrence of the bladder cancer. My innards will rest until I start maintenance BCT therapy in three months. Cipro seems to have taken care of the post kidney operation UTI that contributed to much of my suffering this past month.
Good to read that Bill. Hoping to see Jan and you sooner than later.