What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Blanquito

What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Post by Blanquito »

Like Jim, I’ve been catching up on household chores, getting lots of QT with the fam, and cooking up a storm. A little wine has been opened as well.

To help weather the storm, let’s share what we’re each drinking in our respective bunkers in a low-maintenance, no-formal-notes listing style (to encourage rapid sharing).

That said, I'll start things off with some notes. Here’s what we’ve had at Martin Manor since the lockdown:
-2017 Carbonnieux Blanc— A perennial QPR rockstar in the Bordeaux Blanc firmament, this vintage does not disappoint. Quite grassy with lime and white grapefruit, with a waxy and almost savory palate. Quite light and bright with good intensity at present, this is very good and a great match for seafood (akin to Chablis or Sancerre, but still distinct from from chardonnay). Nothing profound, but delish if you like a little freshly mown lawn in your bouquet. 90-91 pts.

-1996 Duhart Milon— a very nice showing, this 96 is starting to flesh out at last with nice depth and length. Still a little lean and green by ‘15-‘16 standards, but I approve of its classic streamlining and refreshing, elegant profile. Not showing any tertiary complexity yet, but well into the How drinking zone. Still, I’m holding off on my remaining 2 bottles for a blanquito or two.

-1989 Canon— fully mature and holding nicely. This has something for everyone, fruit, body, bouquet, acids, earthy notes, and tertiary complexity. Oh, it’s on the juicy, bright, red fruited end of things to be sure, and that’s a good thing. Won’t make you forget the 86 Mouton, but still 93-94 pts. Delightful.

-2006 Produttori de Barbaresco normale— Really delicious. This vintage has really blossomed since I last tried it. Gorgeous cherry fruit framed by big bight acids and a long dry finish. Still primary overall with little complexity, but just so drinkable as is. Classic. 92+ pts.
Last edited by Blanquito on Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
brodway

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by brodway »

Like Jim, I’ve been catching up on household chores, getting lots of QT with the fam, and cooking up a storm.
Amazing opportunity to reconnect with family...lots of cooking, walking, playing catch with the dog and having human conversations with kids instead of texting

Going to go through my stash of Brunello and Barolo....thinking reloading Italian wines is going to be easy on the pocket over next 6 months
stefan

Post by stefan »

We've drunk quite a few Oregon Pinot Noir. I was pleased with 2016 St Innocent Zenith the other night--it was in a better place right now than the 2014 St Innocent Justice we drank the same evening. Yesterday afternoon, motivated by the good showing of 2000 left bank wines in DC, I cracked my case of 2000 Talbot. It was great with the bison and turkey meat loaf Lucie prepared. We'll enjoy it for the the next ten years or so. The tannins are smooth, the nose developed, and the taste slurpy good.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Talbot has always been good....never had a great one that moved me...but reliable and at $30 or so for the 2000 a superb value...Please report back on the showing for the 2000...i have a few hidden in a dark deep cabinet
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:We've drunk quite a few Oregon Pinot Noir. I was pleased with 2016 St Innocent Zenith the other night--it was in a better place right now than the 2014 St Innocent Justice we drank the same evening. Yesterday afternoon, motivated by the good showing of 2000 left bank wines in DC, I cracked my case of 2000 Talbot. It was great with the bison and turkey meat loaf Lucie prepared. We'll enjoy it for the the next ten years or so. The tannins are smooth, the nose developed, and the taste slurpy good.
In a charming, approachable style, the 2000 Talbot impressed at my first BWE offline that Arv organized in the fall of 2005 at Les Sans Culottes. HoundSong/Art, Jacques, Tim McCracken, Pappadoc, Chris Botta, Ramon, Matt Richman, and Dale were there too.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Enjoying with dinner prep, a 2004 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese #18...
Intensely aromatic nose of bruised yellow apples, honey, lime, crystallized ginger. Big sweet attack, but with decent brightness if served extra cold. This is very large-scaled, borderline heavily-honeyed on the palate and shows almost a viscous texture. Think honey drizzled apples with an incipient sherried note on the finish that helps ground things. Overall, not really my preferred style even for off-dry riesling, but I does much better with food. True to the weingut, there's great length and depth and no flaws, I am just surprised at the scale given the vintage and prädikat.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Couple of days back I had 2009 Cap de Faugeres from a split. I loved the effort from the chateau of this frequently overlooked AOC. Granted, it's from a split, but it is in the right place for my taste, singing with balanced tannins, acid and fruit. Showed notes of sweet cherries, dusty earth and a slight touch of oak and vanilla. Went down smooth...Enjoyed it, and I wish I had bought more at 9 bucks per split...
stefan

Post by stefan »

"Charming, approachable" are good adjectives for describing 2000 Talbot even now, Patrick. While it will live a long time, I do not see any reason to Blanquito it.

I was thinking of cracking open my case of 2000 Grand Puy Lacoste to drink tonight when Lucie and I have a zoom dinner with our kids (one in Eugene and the other in Berkeley), but I was too lazy to move other cases to get to the GPL. I set up a 1998 Beausejour, although we might decide to drink whatever stefanJr opens if we have a match.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2004 Malescot uncorked as Orange takes the podium.
This wine has been a disappointment as it has put on age.
Nice nose upon the uncorking.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

That 2004 Selbach-Oster sounds great Blanquito.

My friend drove up from Atlanta to Dc area for her 30th bday, since our NYC trip(including Eleven Madison Park) obviously got canceled. So have opened some fun wines to celebrate birth year.

-1990 fritz haag bjs auslese out of a half. Seepage and not far from perfect fill. Plus lots of mold. Turned out to be a decent wine, albeit a small lack of oomph. but far from bad- 91pts
-1990 D'issan- took a little time in glass to come around but ended up with a lot of complexity at the end. For the price, would definitely drink again($75) - 93pts
-1990 Rausan-Segla- amazingly intoxicating nose, very clearly margaux.. couldn't help but take a few sniffs per sip, on the palate it still showed some fruit, and some complexity, although just slightly disjointed. Not as subtle as the D'issan, but that nose was amazing. -94pts

Neither Quite lived up to some of the 90's at the 3/7 20th anniversary dinner(90 Ausone, 90 Pichon Baron, 90 LLC) were some of my WOTN's, but these could have held their own for sure.

also had a few aged whites
2004 Setzer Gruner Veltliner- Ill be damned if this doesn't smell exactly like apple juice, tastes like it too. Solid QPR($25)- 91pts

Will probably do 1990 Dominus either tonight or tomorrow. Really looking forward to it as well. Will update
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The 1996 Duhart Milon looks good. White Caronnieux is alwYs good, but i bought 6 bottles of the 2001 in the past and half were corked...

Never had the 2000 Talbot, but i'm also a Talbot fan. I recommend the 2017 if you can find it at a good price.

No wines for me tonight, i will destroy 6 hot-dogs...

Nic
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

We had a beautiful 1998 Canon La Gaffeliiere this weekend with lamb shanks. All of the 1998 Right Bank ripeness of fruit balanced with decent acidity and rounded tannins. Unfortunately it was my last one.

SF Ed
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Towards the end of last week we snuck for a little jolly before everything shut down, see separate post.

Over the weekend a disappointing 96 La Mission versus expectations

Working from home I have been drinking more than normal but also counterbalancing that by cycling every day on a step hilly circuit around Highgate Cemetery where I can pay homage to Karl Marx.

I have been drinking modest stuff but in the process stumbled on a humble gem from Piedmont: De Forville Langhe Nebbiolo or Barbaresco.

Will ramp it up toward the end of the week.

Right now we would be just arriving back from an amazing day out on the right bank...
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

My consumption over the last 2 1/2 weeks, most recent at the top:
2012 Château D'Arvigny
2012 Château Talbot
2010 Bodega Dominio Buenavista / Veleta Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Merryvale Chairman's Selection
2010 Château Larose-Trintaudon
2009 Château Lalande
1978 Château La Lagune
2015 Château Fourcas Dupré
2009 Château Larose-Trintaudon
2014 Château Sénéjac
2016 Château D'Arvigny
2012 Château Garraud
1986 Château Gruaud Larose
2015 Sheridan Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Crossfork Creek
2009 Château La Cardonne
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The "essential" liquor store businesses up here in Maine are going wild, there are much longer lines there than Corona patients at the local ER.

How did you like the '86 Gruaud, Chris?

The 2004 Malescot ended up being quite nice, one of the better bottles I've had.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Towards the end of last week we snuck for a little jolly before everything shut down, see separate post.

Working from home I have been drinking more than normal but also counterbalancing that by cycling every day on a step hilly circuit around Highgate Cemetery where I can pay homage to Karl Marx.

I have been drinking modest stuff but in the process stumbled on a humble gem from Piedmont: De Forville Langhe Nebbiolo or Barbaresco.

Right now we would be just arriving back from an amazing day out on the right bank...
I’ll keep a look out for the de Forville, thanks.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:How did you like the '86 Gruaud, Chris?
I was hoping to be wowed by it but I was not. However it was an excellent bottle nonetheless.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Drinking more, cooking more, eating more. At least I’m also exercising more. Recent bottles:
1991 Ch. Montelena Estate Cab
1996 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses
2017 Jacques Carillon Puligny Montrachet
2009 Clos Fourtet
2010 Pierre Usseglio mon Aïeul
2007 Del Dotto David Cab
1996 Pride Reserve Cab
2005 Marcassin Three Sisters Chard
stefan

Post by stefan »

How was the 2009 Clos Fourtet, David?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

stefan wrote:How was the 2009 Clos Fourtet, David?
Excellent but on the modern/glossy side and still young.

2009 Clos Fourtet Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Dark fruits, berries, smoke, tar, tiny hint of VA at first. Full body, ripe fruit, a bit sweet but sweetness seems to recede as it develops more interest with an hour of air. Good balance, a bit on the low acid side, long finish. Modern style. Early in its aging curve. Excellent.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Great idea on this thread Patrick and I opened a 2006 Frescobaldi Castelgiocondo BdM tonight and it was decanted for a couple of hours as working from home for the immediate future does have certain advantages; this starts off with a soaring nose of black cherries, leather, tobacco and truffle that lead way to a plush, mouthful of sweet cherry fruit that turns to cedar and spice on the slightly drying finish. Quite good even if a little modern leaning (92 points)
Last edited by jckba on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoahR

Post by NoahR »

Great, classic cab. Only Bordeaux I have in the house is too old and too good to drink by myself...

We should do a virtual tasting
Attachments
40FA382E-6DB5-42FA-B748-0A59C88A11B4.jpeg
40FA382E-6DB5-42FA-B748-0A59C88A11B4.jpeg (156.18 KiB) Viewed 24915 times
F4FA7037-68A2-42F2-85A1-3676126B3E30.jpeg
F4FA7037-68A2-42F2-85A1-3676126B3E30.jpeg (103.65 KiB) Viewed 24918 times
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Great stuff, gang... Damn DavidG, I didn’t know the G stood for gangsta! You’re drinking extremely well, I need to step up my game.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote:Towards the end of last week we snuck for a little jolly before everything shut down, see separate post.

I’ll keep a look out for the de Forville, thanks.
Some years ago DaleW poured us a 79 de Forville Barabaresco out of mag which was pretty differentiated. I bought a couple of some recent vintages after trying that.

The big thing around our house after the national emergency started is that there is pretty much always an open bottle of wine in the fridge now. This week was was Barolo and Bordeaux 'btg'. I can't wait to get back to our normal life, assuming it can be done safely. I had really not realized how much the regularity of my office work meant.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Racer Chris wrote:My consumption over the last 2 1/2 weeks, most recent at the top:
2012 Château D'Arvigny
2012 Château Talbot
2010 Bodega Dominio Buenavista / Veleta Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Merryvale Chairman's Selection
2009 Château Lalande
1978 Château La Lagune
2015 Château Fourcas Dupré
2014 Château Sénéjac
2016 Château D'Arvigny
2012 Château Garraud
1986 Château Gruaud Larose
2015 Sheridan Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Crossfork Creek
2009 Château La Cardonne
That is most impressive! How were the Larose Trintaudon's? I've always had a soft spot for the estate although its been a long time since I've had any or seen it locally. Any preference on which vintage was better?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks
I have mainly drunk French wines over the last few weeks, other than a NZ PN (Nuedorf Moutere, reviewed earlier) and one Aust shiraz.
That includes a few nice NV Champagnes (Cattier 1er Cru, Lanson and Cazanove) and a rather plain supermarket Champagne, Chateau de Bligny. NV Champagne has in this balmy place become a house wine.

It has been very hot and often wet here over the last week or two, so I have drunk Burgundy rather than Bordeaux or cabs.
One strange experience. With Wendy and one friend, I drank an Australian Shiraz en magnum - Wild Duck Creek Springflat vineyard (Victoria), 2005.
This estate is well regarded in Australia (their flagship wine is called Duck Muck) but what an odd wine. The nose was full of menthol, mint and mocha oak.
What happened to the fruit? Well on the palate it was drinkable with antipasto and Hungarian goulash, but there was too much alcohol, too much oak, rather spiky acidity and not much fruit of any kind.
The minty/menthol character was not as evident on the palate but it was a very disappointing wine. Should of just had more NV Champagne. The Champagnes were miles nicer.
A few Burgundies:

The 2010 Berthaut Fixin Arvelets 1er Cru tasted a lot better than the previous bottle - more fruit, more length. Not great, just a decent Burgundy.
2012 Jaffelin NSG Coteaux du Bois (lieu dit) was okay - a bit simple but pleasant fruit and quite round.
2005 Marc Morey Beaune Greves 1er cru was nice and round, mature and supple, red and dark fruits. Seems young for a 15 yo Beaune.
2006 Anne Gros Pommard Pezerrolles - soft, with smoky, floral, musky nose. Like rose metals and old spices. Medium bodied, lovely soft red and black fruits, moderate acidity and gentle tannins. Last bottle of the case. Very pleasant drinking and more like a Volnay than Pommard.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

So far this month:

2014 Château Tour Saint-Christophe
2016 Viberti Giovanni Nebbiolo Langhe
2015 Carpineto Rosso di Montalcino
2005 Château Duhart-Milon
2015 Walter Hansel Winery Pinot Noir Cuvée Alyce
1978 Château Haut-Brion
1990 Château Figeac
1990 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron
1970 Domaine de Chevalier
1986 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain
2018 Saint Cosme Côtes du Rhône
2017 Poggio Amorelli Chianti Classico
NV Taittinger Champagne La Française
2014 Peter Michael Chardonnay La Carrière
2015 Walter Hansel Winery Chardonnay Estate
2013 Walter Hansel Winery Chardonnay Cuvée Alyce
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

AKR wrote:
Racer Chris wrote:My consumption over the last 2 1/2 weeks, most recent at the top:
e
That is most impressive! How were the Larose Trintaudon's? I've always had a soft spot for the estate although its been a long time since I've had any or seen it locally. Any preference on which vintage was better?
That list is more or less like any 18 day stretch for me, except for the two well aged examples which are a rarity.
To me Trintaudon (as my wife likes to call it) is one of the most consistent daily drinker level Bordeaux available. At around $18 I'm happy to make it my house red. It displays good vintage typicity and is always true to its house style. Bottles generally benefit from 10 years or more of cellaring.
For some reason there was never any widespread availability of the 2014 vintage which I had planned to buy a couple cases of. It seemed like the '15 was released late.
Not surprisingly the 2010 is the best wine I've had from this chateau, but not by a large margin. The 2012 is a close second.
In the last 4 years I've enjoyed bottles from '06, '07, 09, '10, '11, 12, and '15.
Tonight I'll probably open the 2011 L-T that's already in my kitchen wine fridge, as I expect to finish the open 2010 Senejac before I finish dinner.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I agree with Chris on Larose-Trintaudon. This estate consistently produces a solid wine at a modest price. The 2010 is a best buy.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

DavidG wrote:Drinking more, cooking more, eating more. At least I’m also exercising more. Recent bottles:
2009 Clos Fourtet
2007 Del Dotto David Cab
1996 Pride Reserve Cab
Great well rounded lineup David, how was the 2010 Usegglio? I have been off rhone lately as we discussed, however the 2000 mon Aieul was amazing recently..
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Had a session with some friends before shut down. Here is what we went through:

2010 Marquis de Calon
2009 Château d'Arsac Margaux
2011 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes
2010 Xavier Vignon Vacqueyras

In addition, opened up the 2010 Château Sociando-Mallet last night.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Gerry M. wrote:So far this month:

1978 Château Haut-Brion
1990 Château Figeac
Gerry I would like to recommend you to the BD for an outstanding achievement award - how were the:

1978 Château Haut-Brion
1990 Château Figeac

?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JoelD wrote:
DavidG wrote:Drinking more, cooking more, eating more. At least I’m also exercising more. Recent bottles:
2009 Clos Fourtet
2007 Del Dotto David Cab
1996 Pride Reserve Cab
Great well rounded lineup David, how was the 2010 Usegglio? I have been off rhone lately as we discussed, however the 2000 mon Aieul was amazing recently..
The 2010 Usseglio mon Aïeul is in a good spot. Very short note: Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Deep purple to rim. Rich, ripe, full-bodied but not too sweet like the 2007, good balance, long finish. Excellent.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Gerry M. wrote:So far this month:

1978 Château Haut-Brion
1990 Château Figeac
To hell with social distancing. I wanna drink with Gerry!
gco1133

Post by gco1133 »

Since I went into lockdown last Monday

1995 Troplong Mondot
1996 Calon Segur
2001 De Malle

this evening cracked a case of Branaire 2000

Still a deep colour, some black cherries on the nose, and a touch of chocolate.
Ripe fruit and still some tannic backbone, plenty of life left in this one.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm I have loved all four of those wines, gco1133, although it's been a long time since I had the '95 Troplong Mondot, which I recall as quite tannic.
How is it showing at the 25 year mark?
Welcome to BWE!
dhp

Post by dhp »

I bought nearly a case of Krug halves back when wine.com had those coupons. We're plowing through it pretty quickly now. Wife wants to drink good stuff after working in the ER, and frankly, I'm all in if we're both going to be hooked up to vents in a month.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha yeah dhp well done indeed.
Wishing your wife and you the best, stay safe, she is a hero.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Although I've enjoyed several daily drinkers, the highlights for me have been -

2002 Bouchard Volnay Caillerets
2016 Penner Ash Pinot Noir Zena Crown Vineyards
2007 Mont Olivet Chateauneuf du Pape
NV Coutier Brut Rose
1996 Pontet Canet
2001 Elio Grasso Barolo Gavarini

We've decided there is no reason not to enjoy a few good bottles in times like this.
brodway

Post by brodway »

David....

you've always had a soft spot for Rhone wines....the Pierre Usseglio mon Aïeul is always a treat...i don't think i've ever had a bad version of that bottling