What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

JoelD

Re: What are we drinking in the Dog Days of Delta?

Post by JoelD »

stefan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:35 pm Thanks, guys.

Joel, we hope to make it to Oregon in November. When will you be there?
No set plans yet, although I am considering going up there for a few days after the SF dinner. Assuming I can make that all work. Otherwise maybe sometime over the winter for a snowboarding trip.

I'll definitely keep you posted, and maybe we can plan a get a BWE get together as I know a few others have expressed interest in an Oregon trip.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great to hear that you’re back to almost normal Bill and tumor-free!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

After work, at the shop. Karl dropped it off in spring and we never got around to opening it.
So I kept this bottle in my refrigerator all summer or it would have been cooked by the 4th of July.
I only stood it up outside the fridge yesterday.
0B0DC510-0467-43FB-9A70-755DAE580B5E.jpeg
Cedary at first. Cherries appeared after a little while.
Plenty of life left.
Pleasant. On the lighter side. Might go well with a roast chicken.
JimHow

Re: What are we drinking in the booster boon?

Post by JimHow »

Got my booster shot, flu shot, AND first shingles shot this week!
Time to celebrate with something good tonight.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Glad you finally got your shingles shot, Jim. I think I told you about the bout I had with Ramsay Hunt syndrome before I got my first one.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I've taken care of a number of patients with Zoster ophthalmicus. Ramsey Hunt as bad as it is, isn't always the worst of it. Very nasty disease which can threaten blindness, never mind the pain which can be extreme and long-lasting (months-years) in some cases. I strongly recommend the Shingrix vaccine unless you have contraindications (of which there are not many):

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingl ... tions.html
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah I had a neighbor who had shingles, she became a blind invalid.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Ch Poujeaux 2009.
PNP with a beautiful nose, intense blackcurrants and a hint of leather. Full bodied+, earthy, tannic and initially quite brawny and meaty. At 14% alcohol I thought I could detect a bit of heat (not sure)? Elected to decant the rest and this helped soften it up. Liquorice became more prominent whilst still retaining its muscular, traditional profile. Really enjoyed this but it still has a long life ahead. Will hold my remaining 2 bottles.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

This weekend I am finishing up the vertical (2014-2018) of Ch Lilian Ladouys. Started last week with 2014 and 2015. Both great wine. Black and red typical St Estephe fruit, I preferred the 2014 the fruit was a bit more complex and lively, both wines had great balance with good acidity plenty of fruit and a good backbone of tannins. Lovely wines. To me this is one of the best QPR wines from Bordeaux.
Initial thoughts on 16-18, I prefer 18 over 16 over 17. 18 is more concentrated then the other two, Darker fruit. All the wines have great fruit 18 and 16 with more complexity. I feel the 17 is lower on tannic structure, I would not age this for 10 years, but it is very tasty now. More later!
Have a great Saturday!

Best, Dan
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

So, Chateau Lilian Ladouys 5 years (2014-2018). This estate owned by Lorenzetti family, is doing great right now. All excellent wines with great structure and typical for the area. These wines are drinking really well at a very young age, but I think they most of them will develop nicely with age.
I ranked them in the following order: 2018, 2016, 2014, 2017, 2015. Splendid value!

Best, Dan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks Danny! I loved the ‘16, so I need to get some ‘18!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I think L-L offers a consistent 90 point wine that may exceed expectations in some vintages (eg. 2010).
It rivals some 5th Growth chateaux for quality and character.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

"I think L-L offers a consistent 90 point wine that may exceed expectations in some vintages (eg. 2010).
It rivals some 5th Growth chateaux for quality and character."

Totally agree Chris!

Jim, for below $30 it is a very solid buy!

Best, Dan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes fortunately NH consistently stocks it for well under $30, time to restock my stash.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

With a porchetta style roast pork shoulder, I opened a 1999 Laurent Nuits St. Georges Vaucrains. After a 2+ hour decant, it was beautiful. It has taken forever for these 1999 Laurents to come around, but they are finally becoming really really enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the few mixed bottles that remain.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

2015 Château Malartic-Lagravière
Enjoyed this. Raspberries and plums with a distinctive Pessac profile. Medium bodied with firm, grippy tannins. With a decant, opened up and became fuller bodied and tannic over time. Plenty of life left in this but also drinking beautifully now.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2020 Mouton Cadet blanc: that wine just had a Decanter Wine Award. I remember going to Bordeaux in 2004. At a dinner at Alex and Christine place, a woman attending was working at Mouton Rothschild, in the marketing branch. I remember that night that she told us that the estate was aiming at improving the quality of all it's wine, even the Mouton Cadet. From that 2020, i can just think it is well done. Light crisp mineral, citrusy and herbal wine, with a good core. Not long, good flvors of lemon, herbs and something like light bitter yellow honeyed flowers, but for less than 15$, and for the number of bottles they're probably making, very good.

2019 Poderi Colla Langhe Riesling: yes, you read that well. A nice expression of that grape, and the Langhe terroir is giving a nice very ripe apple, light spicy pears and light cilantro nose. Mouth is dry and minerality is the dominant flavor, but supported by starfruit and good freshness. Simplicity, unexpected good match of grape and terroir, but very good.

I jusy slightly preferred the Mouton Cadet, but both are showing good quality for their prices.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jckba

Post by jckba »

2019 Laurent Tribut Chablis; aromas of oyster shell, apples and a slight reductive hint that lead to a citrusy, saline palate that turns minerally on the finish. 92
Attachments
1CEC89B3-9BC7-45BD-8877-AE63BCE52FB7.jpeg
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

Ianjaig wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:30 am 2015 Château Malartic-Lagravière
Enjoyed this. Raspberries and plums with a distinctive Pessac profile. Medium bodied with firm, grippy tannins. With a decant, opened up and became fuller bodied and tannic over time. Plenty of life left in this but also drinking beautifully now.
This was the wine that really got me interested in Bordeaux's last year. Seems a great value.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah that 2015 Malartic Lagraviere is a beauty.
I had an absolutely stunning 2016 Sociando Mallet the other night, I'm glad I've got 19 more bottles in my cellar.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Popped a 2011 Chateau La Providence last night. Classic Pomerol from an unheralded vintage. Delish.
jckba

Post by jckba »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:50 pm Popped a 2011 Chateau La Providence last night. Classic Pomerol from an unheralded vintage. Delish.
Lol I recently received a pair of the same that I had bought from Envoyer on close out last year.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

jckba wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:53 pm
OrlandoRobert wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:50 pm Popped a 2011 Chateau La Providence last night. Classic Pomerol from an unheralded vintage. Delish.
Lol I recently received a pair of the same that I had bought from Envoyer on close out last year.
I bought three as well. Wish I had grabbed a case. I have a few 2008 as well. Lovely stuff.
gene m.

Post by gene m. »

After a long hiatus, our Sac Wine group has gotten back together. We started this week with Italian night at:
Piatti w/ Arv, Lou, Stan, Michael and G Mon Oct 25
2001 Marchesato Degli Aleramici [Brunello di Montalcino]
2010 Marchesi di Barolo 'Cannubi' [Barolo]
2016 Renieri [Brunello di Montalicino]
2012 Robert Biale 'Nonnas Vyd' Sangiovese [Oak Knoll]
2010 Quintarelli [Valpolicella]
pics and notes from Arv

Since we all missed DC BWE we did a mini Pomerol night w/ Arv, Glenn, Bill, Linda and G on Fri Oct 30
1989 Latour A Pomerol
1995 Ch Grave A Pomeol
1998 Ch Trotanoy
2000 Ch La Croix St George Pomerol
2006 Le Moulin Pomerol
notes taken by Arv, tons of pics and it was nice to spend about 4 hours with these wines in a small group at Bill's house,

This was a tune-up week for me as I'm packing and getting ready for out annual Charleston Off-line-orama Wed-Mon next week
THE DECLARED WINES So far...

For Wed Nov 3rd
67, 82 and 96 Barolo w/ Truffled Rissoto, welcome dinner w/ Franlkin, Scott, G and whomever shows up.
misc bonus bottles, probably Napa cab and Syrah

The official off-line goes from Thurs-Sunday w/
A long standing tradition of Burgundy Thurs. Oct 5th 2001 PC and GC 2001 vintage @ Mason's
2009 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut (magnum)
Faiveley Corton Clos des Corton
Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Goulots Vieille Vigne
Domaine des Lambrays Grand Cru Clos des Lambrays
Hubert Lignier Grand Cru Clos de la Roche
Christophe Roumier Grand Cru Ruchottes-Chambertin
Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos de La Bussière
Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Bonnes Mares
Domaine Dujac Grand Cru Charmes-Chambertin
Domaine Francois Lamarche Grand Cru La Grande Rue
Louis Jadot Chambertin-Clos de Bèze
2001 Château d'Yquem

SESSION TWO--Bordeaux Smack down Friday Oct 5th , Left Bank at Age 25. 1996 Left Bank Super Seconds and Firsts at our VRBO on Isle of Palms
1996 Dom Perignon x2
Cos (Magnum)
LLC (Magnum)
Margaux x 2
Haut-Brion x2
Lafite Rothschild (Magnum)
Pichon Lalande x 2
Montrose x 2
Palmer x 2
Pichon Baron x 2
and a ringer from Napa 1974 Charles Krug Winery (Peter Mondavi Family) Cabernet Sauvignon Vintage Selection (Magnum)
1970 Taylor Fladgate Port x 2

A Sat brunch of undeclared champagne and surprises: I'm packing Salon or Selose and something else...

SESSION THREE—A formal dinner @ Restaurant Circa 1886, Sat Oct 7th in Old Charleston 2 Wines per course
2006 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut Rosé x2
2012 Louis Roederer Cristal Brut x2
2011 Clos Rougeard Blanc “Brèze” x2
1985 Vietti Barolo Brunate x 2
1997 Biondi-Santi Brunello Riserva x2
2008 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage x 2
1975 Château d'Yquem x1

SESSION FOUR—Sunday—Light Lunch on a boat
A Vertical of Ridge Monte Bello
1978 1985 1988 1989 1997 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2011 2012 and a MB component of the rare'ish Torres Petit Verdot

*notes on the Italian wines are posted by Arv Rao on WineBerserkers, the Fri Pomerol notes might be forthcoming from Bill P, Glenn, Arv

notes from Charelston are likely to be posted daily on CellarTracker.
Last edited by gene m. on Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKR

Post by AKR »

wow, when you were mentioning what a 'drinking season' you had coming up, I didn't grasp the full extent!
gene m.

Post by gene m. »

AKR wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:32 am wow, when you were mentioning what a 'drinking season' you had coming up, I didn't grasp the full extent!
I've been trying progressive light work outs to be ready for the marathon next week. Thank you for being my training partner!
I've almost dialed in my pacing, palate and recovery intervals. After cancelling many events from Mar 2020 till now, I hope we can get back into a groove.

When i get back I have a week with my wife and her twin and family to celebrate thier 60th, 1961 birth year!
Then I think I'll fast and ease up till the holidays.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Saturday - 2009 Reserve de la Comtesse - elegant, with pure dark fruit and well integrated oak, but a bit flat on the finish.
Sunday - 2010 La Dame de Montrose - ripe, bold, youthful, with redcurrant, cassis, blackberry, and a slightly puckery finish.
Both wines felt like they would benefit from further cellaring.

Last night I opened a 2014 Ch. Lanessan, which was quite enjoyable, almost seductive even. Already a great weeknight drinker.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Cool to hear about the check-in with Lanessan. It’s been a while since I popped one, but just ordered another case and some 09s. Those two vintages of this wine are cracking! The 2014, along with Sociando, are the values of the vintage.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

We saw a 2014 Lanessan in Bordeaux for what seemed like a ridiculously low price. I can’t remember how much but Patrick may.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm telling you, the 2014 vintage in general just like never disappoints.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’m still recovering from that extraordinary bottle of the 2014 VCC we had at the chateau..
stefan

Post by stefan »

Blanquito goes ga-ga over a Burgundy and finds an extraordinary Bdx that is seven (sic) years old!

Padre stefan may have to do an exorcism on him.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

stefan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:49 pm Blanquito goes ga-ga over a Burgundy and finds an extraordinary Bdx that is seven (sic) years old!

Padre stefan may have to do an exorcism on him.
Come on stefan, for blanquito this is a huge improvement in his wine appreciation. :-o
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Pomerol, I see now, tastes great at any age.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:36 pm Pomerol, I see now, tastes great at any age.
Welcome to the Club! And many makers in Pomerol seem to do well in so-called off-years, think 2011
jal

Post by jal »

1998 Montelena Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, after decanting for 30 minutes or so, the wine was fully resolved with nice mouthfeel and tertiary flavors, a little puckering acidity but perfect balance. To everyone's surprise it worked great with a homemade beef and vegetables in a Thai green curry sauce. What next? Chateauneuf du Pape with oysters??
Best

Jacques
Claret

Post by Claret »

jal wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:09 pm 1998 Montelena Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, after decanting for 30 minutes or so, the wine was fully resolved with nice mouthfeel and tertiary flavors, a little puckering acidity but perfect balance. To everyone's surprise it worked great with a homemade beef and vegetables in a Thai green curry sauce. What next? Chateauneuf du Pape with oysters??
My favorite 98 Cab.
Glenn
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had a somewhat disappointing 2009 Lanessan to break my mini-fast. I say disappointing mainly because I was wowed by this 3-4 years ago, but this bottle lacked tension and was a little hot.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Last weekend: St Joseph Les Cotes A Voge 2018, Dark violet lots of blackberries and classic Syrah (NRhone) fruit. Rather complex already with pepper, smoked meat, bacon fat, Great balance and could likely evolve but not really needed. Only wish they were better priced.

Ch Haut Batailley Pauillac 2014, my first experience with this Chateau, Dark cassis and other dark fruits, the classic Pauillac purity in the fruit. This is a great wine even though I am not as impressed as with the d'Armailhac. Better day 2, I would wait another 5 years if I had more.

This weekend Ch Lynch Moussas and Grand Puy Ducasse 2018 also firsts, more about that later