What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

AKR

Re: What are we drinking in lockdown?

Post by AKR »

marcs wrote:
Blanquito wrote:Nice haul, Marcus. My go-to Togni for a good stretch was the wonderful 1993, which actually showed better than the 92 for me (caveat: I've only had the 92 the one time). I used to be able to pick up the '93 on Winebid for $55 like 8 or 9 years ago, and I reloaded a few times.

I managed to get a half case of the 2010 for $89/each at auction a year ago, hopefully it is still the same wine.
The 1992 Togni is pretty high on the list of the very best wines I have ever had in my life, while I always found the 1993 to be good but not great. But bottle variation is a big deal for wines that old, plus of course peoples' palates are different.

This is a painful reminder of the days when Togni was like $70-100 for everything. Unfortunately prices seem to have inflated over the last year or so and those days are gone -- my per-bottle price to put together my collection of 2001s was probably $140-150 a bottle. Oh well, it's worth it for a top vintage of one of my favorite wines in the world.

You did well on the 2010, I heard Philip Togni say that it was perhaps his favorite post-2001 vintage and reminded him of the 2001 a lot. Not very available at all at retail these days.
I like Togni too, like a CA first growth.

I got introduced to it way back when when our local group would have blind tastings, open casting calls sorts of nights. And a lot of stuff entered my buy list from those events.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

All this talk of Ducru Beaucaillou. I've never had it before.
But this arrived around lunchtime today.
IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
AKR

Post by AKR »

I still remember the anguish of 1979 - every night Walter Cronkite updating the number of days our people had been held hostage. The grim lines at the gas stations, the fear my mom had over the car getting under a half tank of fuel. Those dirty commies taking over everything with their battle cry of "Afgahistan, Pakistan, then Hindustan".
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I first really heard about/noticed Togni on BWE, from the notes from one of those Kittle House nights many moons ago where Jacques, Ian and others had the likes of Togni, Dunn HW, Montelena, Ridge Monte Bello, etc.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote:I first really heard about/noticed Togni on BWE, from the notes from one of those Kittle House nights many moons ago where Jacques, Ian and others had the likes of Togni, Dunn HW, Montelena, Ridge Monte Bello, etc.
There is so much less Togni made compared to the other California 'First Growths' that it doesn't get as much discussion, but it impresses when people actually get to try them.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2019 Chateau Sainte-Marie Vieilles Vignes Entre-Deux-Mers (or Between-Two-Seas if you prefer).

Always satisfying, with salmon tartare. 60 sauvignon, 30 semillon 10 muscadelle, light, flowery, lemony, light minerality.

Nic
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Chris
I recall the 79 Ducru B With some fondness but not sure what it will be like in 2020.
Typical St Julien dark fruit, a rich of raspberry, anise and cedar. I swilled it down in the 90’s and it was still quite vigorous and softly fruity.
Haven’t drunk much of note last week or two.
Moet & Chandon NV was okay and quite light but a little short and lacking finesse. Maybe a bad bottle,
Frescobaldi Nippozzano Chianti Rufina 2016. Pretty good wine for the price. Nice dark fruit with some tobacco and savoury, herbal characters. Medium bodied and quite long. Great with home made pizza.
Ashbrook Margaret River Chardonnay 2017. Warm climate style with citrus and stone fruit, some caramel or toffee characters and dusty oak. Good quaffing wine.
Darenberg Dead Arm Shiraz 2006. More serious wine here. Lots of coconut and vanilla on the nose with dark fruits in abundance. Quite powerful palate and seems young for a 14 yr old McLaren Vale. Seems old viney with rich but balanced fruit, tobacco and chocolate. A bit of alcohol heat (14.5%) on the back palate with medium tannins and acidity. Very good without ever showing greatness. Wendy did not like it much saying it is too heavy and oaky. But it is a good wine if you like the style.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

First glass tasted blind.

Ch Lilian Ladouys 2017,
Good concentration, pure with dark fruits, black currant, cherry and raspberry. Nice light notes of oak. Balanced and fresh. This is a really good/great wine. Another great performance from this estate. 90.

Ch Les Ormes de Pez 2017,
Slightly more concentrated compared to Lilian. Black currant and Cherry, this one has more smoky oak notes. But Not over-oaked. Also balanced and fresh. Both me and my wife liked this with a slight edge better than Lilian. 90+

A good night with two 17 Estephe wines, looking forward to finishing the bottles tonight.
Last edited by Dandersson on Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

2000 Gruaud Larose
Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Opens over an hour to show really nice aromas of cassis, cherry, tobacco. Medium bodied and beautifully balanced, ripe fruit, some nice green pyrazines add a bit of complexity to mix with some early aged complexity, long finish. Hasn’t moved much since the last bottle 2 years ago. Expect even more tertiary notes and further improvement in coming years. Excellent.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Gruaud Larose is one of my favorite wines and chateaux, awesome complexity. They pay perfect attention to the gardens as well as their vines. And with a beautiful view from their tower. Looking forward to drinking more of their wines when mine mature. Glad you enjoyed it!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Foillard Morgon Cote du Py 2016. A bit too fruity on day one, drinking the 2nd half today and I like it a lot more. Still shows a bit of a candied cherry note (almost giving it a rose quality), but it’s more earthy and balanced now. Delicious.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Last night, 1983 Cos d'Estournel. Excellent, but just a bit on the tart side.
This afternoon, 1979 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Auslese. Awesome Mosel wine!
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

1994 Cos d'Estournel. Over-extracted for the vintage (I'm guessing reverse osmosis) with surprisingly round and forward fruit, with classic leafy/green notes and good balance from acid and loads of tannins. A great match for lamb and haricot vert. My last bottle from the 1994 vintage, the first vintage I bought as a collector. Not a great vintage but certainly a classic one.

I'd have to say my favorite 1994s have been Haut Brion and Angelus, with Montrose and Las Cases being very good and Pontet Canet a classic value choice.

SF Ed
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

2004 Haut Bailly. Very good, balanced, classically styled Bordeaux. consumed over 3 hours and not a ton of change. In a good window, as are most 04's right now. Not as sexy as the 2006 but a very nice wine. TN 92
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2019 Pinot blanc Aloïs Lageder : very good light apperitive wine. Well made, light alcool, charming.

2018 Bourgogne Haute Côtes-de-Beaune: light red color, very ripe pinot noir on some sweet red berries and little strawberries, light vegetal and oak. Very charming too.

2016 Chateau Haut-Peyrous Graves: second bottle in 8 days, same impression of an excellent Graves, organic, mainly made in a claret style, purple flowers and fruits, good freshness, tannins and smoky minerals. I think it is impossible to not like that wine.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

2007 Charvin Chateauneuf du Pape
Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Dark red core, a bit of lightening at the rim. Forward savory nose with cherry, spice notes. Medium-full body, ripe and lush but avoids the over-ripe cloying nature of a lot of 2007 CduP, mellow tannins, medium-long finish, showing really well now and may even improve if it gains tertiary complexity. Excellent.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm in day 7 of my 43 day wine fast but when it is over I am going to uncork... 2016 Grand Puy Lacoste....
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Last night we had a barbecue with friends, the first of the season. We had face masks and hand sanitiser judiciously and strategically positioned around the the premises. Good bottles of Niellon 1er Cru Chassagne 2014 are hard to beat and the bottle of Vergers we had was the pick of the whites, with Duplessy Chablis Mont Mains 2014 also showing well, but the Chablis austerity cannot beat the racy thrill of the Niellon. With the reds it was more difficult to choose. A Cyril Henschke 2001 was fully mature with delightful ripe eucalyptus Cabernet notes but needs drinking. Pontet Canet 1996 tastes a bit too rustic for my liking, and was a bit bretty too. I would not say an off bottle, but not a particularly great wine I have come to the conclusion (I am mid-way through a case so a clearer picture is now emerging). The Pape Clement 1998 which came off the bench in extra time was much better and a good bottle (the previous bottle was poor).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I drank through a whole case of 1998 Pape Clement, I would say about half were good and half were poor.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
I still have a few bottles of 98 Pape Clement in one of the wine fridges and it is an okay sort of wine but not one that has impressed me. It is a bit fluid in the middle suggesting over-cropping and overall it seems a bit simple. Not had one for a few yrs so should try again soon.

Tonight drank a 2013 Dassault St Emilion.
Not bad for a lesser vintage. Some decent plummy fruit, dusty oak and green tobacco on the nose. Palate is medium bodied but lacks a bit of mid palate depth. There is some herbal and savoury notes that are not unpleasant but show the character of the vintage. I’d like more fruit but okay with food.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Agreed, Claudius. I think the last bottle of the case was very nice.
But I expected a lot more from that estate during that vintage.
I know SF Ed liked the bottle I brought to one of our recent conventions.
jal

Post by jal »

With some tacos and guacamole we had yet another 2017 Louis Michel Chablis, screw cap and all. This has turned out to be our go to white wine this summer, very clean, crisp, focused with medium acidity and lovely white stone fruit. The structure is fine and the finish is decent and makes you reach for more. Delicious now and no need to wait any longer.90
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2015 Saint-Rouans Le Parc Chinon, medium body, with that nice complexity of Loire cab franc. Rasberries, vegetals, red berries, light earthy mushrooms, some cherry, good tannins. Well made and balanced, without trying to push too much the machine.

Nic
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jacques, I'm in agreement with you on the 2017 Louis Michel Chablis. It is well made, and drinks very easily (and opens easily). I may try to get another case before it transitions to 2018.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I bought a half case of 2018 Louis Michel 1er Cru Butteaux - a distressing change of style to easy which I put down to a vintage I think may turn out worse than 2015 - too round and ripe and not enough focus
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

With a roast chicken, 2005 Pape Clement - on the modern side with lush ripe fruit, good balance, still young. I loved it.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Just popped another 2000 Chateau Sociando Mallet. Most excellent. While this vintage of SM has some variability - some bottles have been too green even for my Yak Chinon palate - this bottle sings. Amazingly red fruited and sandy for a solar vintage. Tastes like it was made in a made in a barn, soil-to-glass transfer. Delish.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, that about describes my experience with the first 11 bottles of my case of 2000 Sociando. I have one bottle left, which I will double blanquito.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Ian
I historically have been a fan of Chablis but with few exceptions, the style no longer appeals to me.
2014 and 2017 are more typical, but the warmer vintages and possibly changing winemaking practices mean that they don't have much character that says "Chablis" to me.

So in any case, my recent quaffing has been as follows:

2017 Cape Mentelle Chardonnay Margaret River.
For a reasonable price, this is a delicious wine.
2017 was a little cooler than surrounding vintages and this suits the wine - long, cool, minerally, with a solid core of fruit.
As it warmed (like everything else in Singapore...) the fruit opened up to show honey, citrus, nuts, stone fruit and quince.

2012 Dujardin Beaune Les Beaux Fougets.
Now drank it six times this year. Seems muted and each bottle was similar.
Okay but I have had simple Bourgogne Rouge that is a lot better. Oh well.
I still have 12 more of these (an auction buy at measly price) and may send it back to them.

2014 Devil's Lair Chardonnay Margaret River.
Not as good as the CM above, but still very good.
Softer, riper, rounder style with moderate acidity and minerality.
I like this producer but the Chardy can be a little variable. 2013 was much better.

Also been drinking more NV Champagne to help save the industry.
Lanson NV is better these days than it used to be, though not top flight. A nice drink in any case. Citrus, brioche and a touch of herbs. Better than the last Moet.
Billecart Salmon NV never disappoints - more density and power though still dances lightly on the tongue.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Currently sipping 2005 Ch Tertre Dugay St Emilion GCC.
I first open one 3-4 years ago. This is not a typical St E by any means and it is not fruity. It is very dark in color and shows little ageing but the tannins and acid are too powerful and if anything the fruit is fading and the structure is more obvious than ever.
Frankly a fruit bomb St Emilion would at least be more enjoyable and I may just use the remaining bottles in cooking. A few years ago at least there was some red and dark fruits.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Claudius2 wrote:Currently sipping 2005 Ch Tertre Dugay St Emilion GCC.
I first open one 3-4 years ago. This is not a typical St E by any means and it is not fruity. It is very dark in color and shows little ageing but the tannins and acid are too powerful and if anything the fruit is fading and the structure is more obvious than ever.
Frankly a fruit bomb St Emilion would at least be more enjoyable and I may just use the remaining bottles in cooking. A few years ago at least there was some red and dark fruits.
This estate is now gone, absorbed into some others
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2009 Vieux Telegraph La Crau CdP... Had this last night from half bottle. Straight-forward, fruity with only a touch of garrigue, finishes with some heat. Not bad, simple and a little ponderous, but certainly drinkable. Kind of a B- wine for me, which isn't too bad given how I feel about most CDP post-2001.

This is the sort of wine I used to think might benefit from more time, but learned the hard way that it's unlikely to get any better than it is now (and is even likely to decline).
stefan

Post by stefan »

With grilled salmon we drank 1999 Jadot Clos de la Roche. This is a '99 that was worth waiting for. Wonderful flowers to smell and a taste to match; Asian spice, coffee, red berries; good length.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:With grilled salmon we drank 1999 Jadot Clos de la Roche. This is a '99 that was worth waiting for. Wonderful flowers to smell and a taste to match; Asian spice, coffee, red berries; good length.
Waiting for Jadot?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Very good

Talking of waiting for Jadot I am still waiting on my haul of 97 and 98 Clos De Ursules and 98 Corton Pougeots which should be arriving with some 2010 Glatenay 1er Cru Volnays
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote:2009 Vieux Telegraph La Crau CdP... Had this last night from half bottle. Straight-forward, fruity with only a touch of garrigue, finishes with some heat. Not bad, simple and a little ponderous, but certainly drinkable. Kind of a B- wine for me, which isn't too bad given how I feel about most CDP post-2001.

This is the sort of wine I used to think might benefit from more time, but learned the hard way that it's unlikely to get any better than it is now (and is even likely to decline).
I'd be surprised if they have really changed much, they never changed their style despite all the various fashions of the years. And its one of the most ageworthy of the CNDPs. I think the only 'innovation' they did over the last couple of decades was to cull some barrels and sell those lesser ones as 'Telegramme' mostly in their local/supermarkets.

Nowadays I find the gap between a good Cotes du Rhone and the typical CNDP to be much smaller than it was a generation ago.
AKR

Post by AKR »

OrlandoRobert wrote:Just popped another 2000 Chateau Sociando Mallet. Most excellent. While this vintage of SM has some variability - some bottles have been too green even for my Yak Chinon palate - this bottle sings. Amazingly red fruited and sandy for a solar vintage. Tastes like it was made in a made in a barn, soil-to-glass transfer. Delish.
In an affront to suave sommeliers everywhere, I had an 03 Sociando Mallet last night with spaghetti in a tomato/meat/fennel meat sauce. The wine was as good as it ever was, and I finished a half bottle in an hour and change! I love that sunny, dry year.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2010 Ridge Estate Chardonnay
Beautiful blanc, tertiary, with white ginger, baked lemon rind, and some nutty sherried notes. Still fresh and balanced despite the age and richness, very nice. This is unmistakably California but speaks with a french accent. Drink now.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks
Now drinking 2008 Meursault Blagny 1er Cru Les Piece Sous Le Bois, Domaine Sylvain Laungeureau, En Magnum.
With a name that long it better be good.
Excellent light gold colour. Nose of honey, toast, quince, poached pear and apple.
Similar flavors with soft acid and medium intensity. Richly flavored with good ripe fruit though I’d like more minerality and length. Not sure this is the best bottle as the cork was leaking a little but still very good. A round mature wine with heaps of honey and quince but little evident oak.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Mommessin Beaujolais Villages 2017

Enjoyed this. Red currants, luscious and smooth, with a beautiful long finish.
Will buy more and look to learn more about this region. At $25 (NZ) this is great value.