Zoom

JimHow

Zoom

Post by JimHow »

So about ten of my criminal defense lawyer buddies and I go out for beers once or twice a week but in the age of corona that has stopped.
So one of our buddies set up a zoom virtual happy hour the other day, I was skeptical at first but it worked pretty well!
It was kind of sad, but still it was kind of interesting to hang out for an hour or so.
I had never heard of Zoom before this week and I'm notoriously inept when it comes to computers but I just clicked the link they sent me, downloaded something, and -- zoom -- I was in a virtual meeting "having a beer" with my buddies.
With all of this down time going on, it might not be a bad vehicle for doing a BWE virtual offline at some point in the not too distant future....
Nicklasss

Re: Zoom

Post by Nicklasss »

I'm planned for next weekend with JeanFred. Don't know yet what we'll taste virtually.

Those virtual gathering are less fun than being all together, but nobody's driving so we drink more!

Nic
brodway

Post by brodway »

Zoom stock zoomed to the moon recently in spite of recent market correction
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’d be up for a BWE online offline via Zoom.
Don’t know anything about it but happy to give it a shot.
stefan

Post by stefan »

It works fine. Lucie and I had a zoom dinner with my sister and brother in law tonight.
However, having a zoom dinner with many participants may not work very well because you cannot break into smaller talking groups.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

We have used Zoom a few times with friends and family members. Generally it works pretty well. But I think in larger groups, one could easily run into bandwidth issues. We had 10 locations on over the weekend with Paula's family members, and a few people were getting a screen message about the Internet being weak, or something along those lines. Other than that, it seemed to work pretty well - except that people were talking over each other.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

In the same way DavidG and dstgolf could jump in on the coronavirus thread as experts as doctors, I can jump in on this one as a networking/technology guy (I spent many years at Cisco). Tim spent many years in this specific area (collaboration), so he knows even more.

Zoom is a great tool for informal video conferencing. It just works and its easy to use. I think it would work well for informal offlines.

Bill - Zoom does allow you to break into sub-conversations (if you have the paid version). It is still not a close match to real-world turning to the person sitting next to you, but it does allow for break out sessions. I do agree with you that Zoom is far less good for large groups than it is for small ones.

JCNorthway - The issue about multiple conversations and poor bandwidth generally isn't a Zoom problem, but rather the ability for each local connection to handle the amount of bandwidth Zoom (or any other video application) needs. When Zoom itself has technical issues, you tend to just drop. ISPs (the folks who deliver your internet connection) are having huge issues managing the bandwidth issues involved with everyone staying at home. The problem most folks have using any video conferencing software is not enough upload bandwidth (sending information from your computer to the Internet). If you are experiencing that, turn off your video and see if that helps. Better than completely dropping off or freezing.

Zoom is a great piece of technology but it doesn't look like a well-run company. Just look at all the security problems they are having (e.g. Facebook SDK unwittingly sending Zoom user information to Facebook). Their stock may keep going up based on having a great product and a great brand (video-conferencing is increasing becoming Zooming, just like Internet search is Googling), but they still have a lot of maturing to do to become a real enterprise company.

SF Ed
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We are fortunate to have so many experts on this site.
I don't usually drink on Saturday nights, Nicola, but we should experiment with a Zoom meeting.
It worked pretty well with our lawyer group when we had about seven of us in the meeting, I think it would work for a BWE virtual tasting. Now we need to try to find a wine or wines to virtually taste.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Free Zoom only allows for 30 minute sessions so the host really needs to have a paid account. We did a HH last Friday and it worked pretty well except only one conversation at a time. After a few sips, that can be difficult. EDIT: I have access to a paid account so could host.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I'm full speed ahead for a Zoom tasting, especially as I didn't get a chance to see my BWE buddies this month.

Time?

Theme?

Alex
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You’re reading my mind, Alex, I’m trying to figure out what is the best time zone window.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Since we're all staying at home, I don't see a problem with an early time on the US East and West coasts in order to accommodate Europe. Nine PM in France is noon in California and 3 PM here. I'm up for a little day-drinking!

Jim, maybe you could post a poll asking what time works for people, allowing multiple answers so we can see what time works for the most people?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

sounds like a plan
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

Hi
I haven't written for a while ...

I really like the idea of ​​having a virtual tasting. this would allow me to see several members of BWE, especially since I missed the last convention. Hope to see you again and enjoy with you all ... from a distance!

JeanFred
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Do I have to worry about getting a computer virus?
brodway

Post by brodway »

David...

no worries...feed the computer a bunch of Vitamin D, Vitamin C and inject it with a shot of chloroquine before turning it on...
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

For what it's worth, here's an article about Zoom - which I had never heard of until last week:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... s-outbreak

Alex R.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

DavidG wrote:Do I have to worry about getting a computer virus?
Covid-19 the new reign: from animals to humans, from humans to computers, from computers to robots, from robots to metals, from metals to rocks, from rocks to vegetals, from vegetals to animals...

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Whenever you guys decide to do it I'm in, absent an (unlikely) conflict with a work call or scheduled grocery pickup time.
jal

Post by jal »

Nicklasss wrote:
Covid-19 the new reign: from animals to humans, from humans to computers, from computers to robots, from robots to metals, from metals to rocks, from rocks to vegetals, from vegetals to animals...

Nic
The 2020 Circle of Life (that's what happens when you're stuck at home with a Disney + subscription)
DavidG wrote:Whenever you guys decide to do it I'm in, absent an (unlikely) conflict with a work call or scheduled grocery pickup time.
What David said
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

This COVID deal has made me realize how much I cherish the relationships with all of you and how precious our time together is, both online and in real life.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Amen, David.

I can join in almost any time.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I decree that we do it this Saturday, April 4th if the following conditions are met, as it will dictate the timing of it. (If not this weekend we could shoot for the following weekend.). Participation by US pacific time and France/UK/Europe are the most important considerations as those bookends will most significantly impact our timing. Of course, Singapore, Australia, and anyplace else are welcome as well!

1. Mr. Vino sets it up as he is the only one with a paid account. Don't ask me to do it as I have the computer skills of a 2 year old.

2. One or more participants are from the US west coast (Ed, Lisa, Arv, Peter, Julia, etc.)

3. We need representation from Denver.

4. And central time, Texas, midwest, etc.

5. Our biggest critical mass is on the US east coast.

6. We need participation from London, France, and anyplace else!

7. I'd like to see some BWEers whom we've never met participate in this!

8. I don't see this as a real lengthy thing, maybe an hour to hour and a half.

So....

Assuming participation in US west coast and France/Europe, it looks like this might be a possible time that works:

1pm: US pacific time.

2pm: US mountain time.

3pm: US central time.

4pm: US eastern time.

9pm: London

10pm: France/Europe

Somebody should double check to make sure I have my times right.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I'm in. I also have a paid Zoom account, so I can do the meeting setup.

SF Ed
jckba

Post by jckba »

A little late to the party, but sounds like a fun idea. And did we vote on a wine theme?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Guess I'm spare for that first one.

I suggest the last vintage Mouton Cadet for you guys. Normally easily available everywhere and at a reasonnable price in the economical context.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I doubt we're going to be able to get everyone to do the same wine from the same vintage, but maybe something like "2016 Medoc" or some such thing....
Unless everyone has like the 2016 Sociando....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Or "any vintage of Sociando," etc.
I don't really care...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't know how long it would take for people to access 2016 Tour Saint Christophe....
jal

Post by jal »

How about something with age?
I suggest 2010: Checking in on the vintage at age 10. I bet we all have at least a bottle of 2010 something or other.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Not a bad idea, Jacques.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I now live in a virtual Bordeaux wine wasteland (except one store that carries "name brand" wines at high prices). So a more generic theme - like 2016 Medoc - would be more practical for me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

As soon as we hear from London and Paris we'll nail down those times.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Gail will be working but I'm in.