IMPORTANT: ZOOM MEETING: SAT. APRIL 4, 4pm U.S. EASTERN TIME

JimHow

IMPORTANT: ZOOM MEETING: SAT. APRIL 4, 4pm U.S. EASTERN TIME

Post by JimHow »

I just spoke with Mr. Vino, there are two Zoom threads so I'm going to put all details into this one.
I'm going to delete the two other Zoom threads.

Here is the URL for the Zoom meeting that Ed created for us - https://zoom.us/j/383626244

It is IMPORTANT to read this message VERY CAREFULLY.

1. We have currently scheduled the meeting for 4pm U.S. Eastern time.
This assumes that Alex, Ian, Timmy, and/or anyone else from UK/Europe joins us.
If we do not get participation from UK/Europe, then we will move the meeting to later.
Thus, the various times for the meeting, if I am accurate, are as follows:

1pm: U.S. Pacific Time.
2pm: U.S. Mountain Time.
3pm: U.S. Central Time.
4pm: U.S. Eastern Time.
9pm: London Time.
10pm: France/Europe Time.

Again, if UK/France/Europe is NOT involved, we'll move it back a little later.
But we WANT Europe to be involved, so hopefully this is the time we will be going with.
I would appreciate it greatly if somebody would double-check to make sure I have my times right.

2. I just had a spirited discussion with Jay about the number of people who will be participating.
As you all know, it has always been my philosophy to let EVERYONE participate.
So... There will be no limitations on this meeting.
Anyone who wants to join in will be allowed to do so.
Having said that...
I share Jay's concerns that there will be a lot of talking over each other.
We've been doing this recently with a group of about ten lawyers here in Maine and it tends to get more chaotic the more people who participate. But that's okay. This meeting will be far from perfect but it will be good just to see everyone up on screen. If we want to do more limited groups later on that's fine, but for this meeting on Saturday we will let EVERYONE participate. I am TOTALLY OPPOSED to meeting in separate rooms, etc., that is not the BWE way. If you want to set up separate meetings with smaller groups of BWEers like the mid-Atlantic chapter did last night that's perfectly fine by me, but official BWE-sanctioned events will be INclusive, not EXclusive. If you want EXclusive go to Berserkers or some other such fancy place. We can work out the details of any protocol for the meeting to make sure we don't end up talking over each other. (I think the max is 100, I am expecting 12-15 but the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, and I would like to see some BWEers prticipate who have never participated before. In fact, I order it. So I'm guessing it will be pretty early out there in Asia but it would be fun to see some of our far eastern BWEers pop in.)

3. SF Ed has offered to set this up, as he has a paid account. There is a link that will be created, I'll leave it up to Ed to set up how people can approach him to access the link. He can either post it here on the site, or can email it to each of you upon request. We have a PM function here on the site, perhaps members can communicate with him through that. In any event, I will leave this up to Eddie.

4. THEME: I just think the theme will be what the group did last night in their test run: BORDEAUX.
It will be impossible to get a more specific theme.

5. I anticipate this meeting will last an hour and a half.

So... The only thing we need is to hear from one or more of the Europeans.
This will dictate whether we stick with the 4pm US eastern time start of the meeting.

I am going to delete the two other Zoom threads as it is creating confusion.
All discussions about this meeting on Saturday, April 4th, 4pm US eastern time should occur HERE in this thread.

BD
JimHow

Re: IMPORTANT: ZOOM MEETING: SAT. APRIL 4, 4pm U.S. EASTERN TIME

Post by JimHow »

Eddie, a question:

As I mentioned above, I've done this a couple times with my lawyer buddies here in Maine.
The first time everything went smoothly.
The second time I could see everyone but there was no sound, I couldn't hear anybody and nobody could hear me.
So I don't know why it worked the first time from the free account but not the second time from a paid account.
We are doing it again this afternoon, I'll see if i can figure it out.

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to do a test run with two or three other BWEers between now and Saturday.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Good idea to consolidate this BD. Does anyone know if you can slideshow your background in Zoom? We have some BWE shots that might be fun to use.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Jim - Happy to work any tech issue out with you. Things like sound are almost certainly on your end (rather than being a Zoom issue).

Jay - it is possible to add a static image or a video as your background in Zoom. Within the app, go to Settings, then Virtual Background, then click on the + icon to choose an image or video from your computer.

I'll post a Zoom link once we lock down our start time.

SF Ed
tim

Post by tim »

As a European, I'm in. Sorry to make people start drinking so early (although I've never heard complaints before on that subject...)
tim

Post by tim »

By the way, I am excited, this gives me an excuse to pull out a good bottle as I will not be drinking alone (at least in spirit).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Excellent, Timmy!

Ed, with at least one European now in, I think we can confirm the start at 4pm US eastern time.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Here is the URL for the Zoom meeting I created for us - https://zoom.us/j/383626244
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great, Ed, I'll put it in the top message of this thread as well.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I am up for it!! 9pm my time, I might have a head start...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Excellent Ian, shaping up nicely!
jckba had some good ideas for protocol for the meeting, we'll definitely touch base in the next day or two Ed.
I'm excited! It's going to be crowded, I'm sure there will be a glitch or two, but I'm sure it'll be fun nonetheless!

Let's get Alex notified... And we have others in Europe as well.... And I'm fully expecting/ordering somebody to make an appearance from Asia....
tim

Post by tim »

By the way, I have selected my wine for Saturday: 1970 Ducru. I had pulled this for the BWE dinner at Alex's, but since this was cancelled, no better time to experience it than at a BWE virtual tasting!

I have been quite critical of the 1970 vintage, with lots of disappointments. Someone on BWE recommended Ducru from 70. We'll see if this exceeds expectations.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

1970...or 2000? 50th vs 20th anniversary of BWE. Spoilt for choice!
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Tim,

Glad you can join in. Been quite a while but I have found 1970 Ducru to be very enjoyable. Recently (this January) 1970 Domaine de Chevalier with Olivier Bernard in DC (Embassy of France) was just outstanding. Last bottle of 1970 Palmer was starting to fade a bit. In general, I am a fan of the 1970 vintage in Bordeaux but they are showing their age.

Chris Bublitz
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I've pulled a 2002 Lynch Bages. BD's favorite producer and favorite vintage. Not nearly as good as Lynch Bages from a great vintage, like 1989, 1990, 1996 or 2000, but still pretty darn good.

SF Ed
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

We're all in with wine cheese/paté before dinner. something to look forward to in this lockdown.
Danny
tim

Post by tim »

I like it! will open some Foie Gras and other goodies for the occasion!
stefan

Post by stefan »

My closest match to Tim's is 1976 Ducru. I can match Ed's 2002 Lynch-Bages. Which to open? Maybe both...

I like a lot of 1970s, though now they are hit or miss. 1970 Ducru was very good at one time, but it has been a long time since I drank one. The last 1970 Palmer I drank was also fading, Chris.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I'll talk to JeanFred and i guess we'll do everything to be there. Minimum just say hello to everyone.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Really looking forward to this!

I think I’ve got a Jim How kind of wine lined up for this: Sociando Mallet.
From a Jim How kind of vintage: 2014.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Krebs knows what he's talking abouthttps://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/04/war ... -problems/
EDIT: This is not an attempt to dissuade anyone from joining the the truly historic ZOOM meeting the BD and Ed have planned. Again, whatever Ed says should be our policy.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I have been looking into options and the wines that made the short list were:

Sociando Mallet 1970
Sociando Mallet 1996
Pontet Canet 2003
Leoville Barton 2002
Leoville Barton 2004
Beausejour Duffau Lagarrosse 1982
La Lagune 1985
La Tour Haut Brion 2000

I am erring to the LTHB because it is from BWE’s birth year. Any views?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Those are all outstanding, Ian, looking forward to hanging out with you on Saturday!

I do want to temper expectations a little bit. I think we could have upwards of 20 participants, which is great from my perspective. The more the merrier. This probably works best when there is a smaller group but I'm nonetheless excited to have as big a group as possible in this historic meeting, a showing of global BWE love and camaraderie in this time of trouble.

So, in my capacity as the kind, loving, and benevolent dictator of BWE, I am hereby ordering all BWEers from around the globe to participate.

We have now done three of these meetings with our local defense bar here in Androscoggin County, Maine (yes, this ugly bunch below are all criminal defense lawyers). Yesterday there were 11 of us, I expect our BWE meeting to be bigger. I'm glad I did these meetings because it gave me an idea of the pros and cons of Zoom. Generally speaking, I think it is excellent. On the other hand, it is very easy for everyone to talk at the same time, which kind of makes it difficult to communicate. So we'll need to be organized to make sure only one person/couple speaks at a time.

Jckba came up with a good plan on how to moderate the meeting in a more rational manner, I'll post more details soon. It will be important that we let everyone speak one at a time in an orderly way, without interruptions.

Looking forward to see everyone on Saturday/Sunday (depending where you are)!
Attachments
IMG_3726.jpg
IMG_3726.jpg (96.62 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

By the way, Nicola, the jckba plan calls for each BWEer introducing themselves at the beginning one at a time, no interruptions, and then we come back around and talk a little bit more as everyone sips their wines.
I can't emphasize enough, it is VERY easy to have multiple people talking at the same time in Zoom, which basically diminishes the experience.
So, the kind and benevolent dictator will consider it rude to just "pop in to say hi."
I'm sure you and JeanFred had a video chat planned but you and JeanFred see each other all the time, you can change your plans.
I'm considering this a "BWE EVENT OF SPECIAL SIGNIFICANCE."
So, big man from Quebec... Nobody is just "popping in to say hi."
It's not a situation of everyone else gets the honor of your presence and then the rest trudge on with the meeting after you have graced us with your appearance.
I want everyone in within two minutes past the hour, and then we are going to lock the doors.
Everybody should expect to hear what everybody else has to say, not just pop in to say hi and then leave.
I'm going to limit this event to 90 minutes. So this is not going to be some marathon that extends on.
So if you do the math and factor getting settled in and the occasional raucous quips from Danny and Mr. Vino, that is like about 5 minutes of talking per each participant.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm contemplating moderating this meeting, with the assistance of DavidG.

David and Ed, I'll be in contact with you guys tomorrow (Friday) to plan out the logistics.
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

Hi

For sure I’m IN

As I said, this meeting is a excellent idea and I can't wait to see the BWE members around a glass of Bordeaux.

Still don’t kwon what i will open

JeanFred
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Here is the URL for the Zoom meeting that Ed created for us -

https://zoom.us/j/383626244
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

As some have eluded to security issues are being questioned about zoom and saw a piece on the morning news making suggestions on what to do to minimize everyones risk and especially having the meeting highjacked by zoombombers who get links on social media like this. Something consider and I defer to Ed and others who are more tech savvy to try and keep everyone as protected as possible. Needless to say our partnership has had multiple zoom meetings now with no issues but details posted through email and limited to attendees. Our medical association townhall links are only distributed through personal email as well. It might not be the best to post the link openly on this site??

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4877597
Danny
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I downloaded the Zoom app onto my laptop and tested the camera and microphone this morning.
Now to select a bottle of wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, Chris.
By my count from those I've heard rom here and off line, I'm estimating upward of 20 participants.
A historic event!
The more the merrier.
I'll be posting some guidelines for participation by tomorrow morning (my time).
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I am hoping to join. Still pondering which wine to open.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Maybe add a password and send it via PM to everyone who says they're attending?

But it's not like we're talking about intellectual property, business strategy, protected health records, etc.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I was at a Zoom seminar this morning at which there were 61 participants from around the world. There was no ZoomBombing, not that I expected any Bomber to be interested in a seminar titled

Closed ideals of operators on the Tsirelson and Schreier spaces.

It was an excellent seminar, BTW.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I am hoping to join virtually and meet the BWE crowd to raise a glass or two...Although I would let it rest for a blanquito or two, in honor of BWE’s 20th anniversary, I have 2000 lafon rochet ready to go with some cheese and crackers...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Excellent, CV!

Speaking of blanquito, I think we've only heard from Tommy from the mountain zone.

I count us at 17 right now but I expect to see more!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I will be there. Not sure what I will open.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I decided not to add more complexity with a password since we aren't going to be discussing anything that needs to be secure. Zoom doesn't have enterprise-grade security yet, but we're not an enterprise, so I'm not too worried.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Nalan and I plan to join the BWE Zoom tasting on 4 April.

The C19 count reported on the local news the morning of 3 April for the San Jose area was around 1000, and 20 in Napa.
So we are staying in Napa.

We have a baguette, prosciutto, duck dried sausage, various cheeses.
I think something with age sounds like it fits that menu.

I'll head to the cellar later today to see what might be interesting. At the moment I'm thinking 66 Haut Brion. Or should I find something 70?

Michael-P
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I haven't seen how this is supposed to run, nor have I done a Zoom yet, but imagine something like this moderation might be an approach:

1 - Intro by BD

2 - 20 secs each person to say:
who they are
where they are
what wine they have opened
any food they are eating

3 - then cycle through each person every 15 secs for tasting notes

Just a thought.

Michael-P