Zoom meeting tasting notes

Comte Flaneur

Zoom meeting tasting notes

Post by Comte Flaneur »

OK I will get the ball rolling

2000 La Tour Haut Brion

Double decanted at 5pm four hours before the conference. Still taut, youthful, with smoky, scorched earth notes, tensile and not particularly generous right now; coiled and strict, holding back something in reserve. As the call progressed it began to loosen up a little, with some nice ripe plummy fruit, and a lot of minerals & schisty stuff going on, it has a smooth mouthfeel and a long finish. Alex and Jim would love it as it is, whereas stefan, David, and of course Patrick would say this needs at least one Blanquito. First of a case, you have to start somewhere. This will be really hitting its stride between now and 2040.
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: Zoom meeting tasting notes

Post by JimHow »

2000 Ducru Beaucaillou

This wine was stunning, amazing, splendiferous. I was focused on the meeting but as I sipped the wine I found myself saying, mmm, this is good, mmm, this is REALLY good, this is REALLY, REALLY good. I did the last pour just as we were wrapping up, a little bit of sediment at the end. To me it was just classic St. julien, classic seamless Ducru. I have no doubt most would consider it very young but for me, wow, it was spectacular. I have one more half bottle of the 2000 left, plus 18 bottles of the 2014 Ducru, which I also really loved. This 2000 Ducru will be a 50 year wine with a VERY long plateau. Absolutely gorgeous, what Bordeaux is all about. And it was great to drink it with my truly beloved brothers and sisters of BWE, I love you all. What an inspiring, uplifting meeting. I got a text from Julia, she had to rush off to the hospital, she got called in, she said she was inspired by how supportive everyone is of each other. Brings tears to my eyes, actually. See you all again soon! We'll get through this, folks, there will be good times ahead... Rating: 98 points.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Not surprising to me that the 2000 Ducru will be a 50 year wine. The Ducru we drank from 1976, which is an average minus vintage, is still going strong. The bouquet is lovely and the fruit is fresh. Lucie thought it tasted like a youngish wine. The tannins are completely resolved but handled her pate of bison, beef, and turkey well.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Opened 2000 Lafon Rochet in honor of BWE’s 20th Anniversary...

I decanted only half of the bottle and saved the rest for evening to go along with lamb chops over cous cous and asparagus...

I decanted for over an hour and definitely needed more time. Right out of the gate, it was slow and nose showed earth, stone and slowly presented black fruit and a bit of oak. However after half hour or so, it whiffed off hint of incense and increased its intensity of incense towards the end of the session. It also displayed leather and pencil lead as the session went by...

On the palate, it had smoke, black fruit, pepper and bitter chocolate interlaced with dusty tannins. Although tannins are not well integrated, I am expecting to go well with lamb chops slated for dinner later today...

In all, I enjoyed it well and it will benefit from another decade or so of resting...
jckba

Post by jckba »

2005 Leoville Poyferre - Soaring aromatics of blackberry, cassis, cigar box and tobacco leaf notes that I could smell all day and lead to a plush, sleek, mouthful of ripe black cherry flavors with ultra fine tannins that echoed on the long lasting finish (95 points and there is still more to go in terms of its upwards trajectory)
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well that was fun!

2014 Château Sociando-Mallet: Perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Took about 2 hours to show its best. Nice complex nose of cassis/dark fruits, pencil shavings, moist earth, tobacco, leafy greens. Medium body, crisp acidity plays well against the fresh fruit, moderate tannins. This is still young with a very promising future, but fun to drink today. Excellent.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2015 Chateau Siran is an excellent, even more than excellent fot the price. Dark color, nose of concentrated blackberries and red Margaux berries, light spices, light oak and some rasberries. In mouth, young but with that balanced power, flavored with red berries, cinnamon, spices, more red fruits. Oak well integrated in the fruit. The 14 % alcohol is just at the limited right level. Will improve easily on 10 years. Tn: 91.

That was another great moment of BWE.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sorry I had to miss it, gents. 2 PM local Colorado time just couldn’t work for me given the full-time domestic situation during lockdown and a six-year-old and a three-year-old loving their constant parental attention. Looks like it was a great online offline!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nicklasss wrote:2015 Chateau Siran is an excellent, even more than excellent fot the price. Dark color, nose of concentrayed blsckberries and red Margaux berries, light spices, light oak and some rasberries. In mouth, young but with that balanced power, flavored with red berries, cinnamon, spices, more red fruits. Oak well integrated in the fruit. The 14 % alcohol is just at the limited right level. Will improved easily on 10 years. Tn: 91.

Nic
Love this wine, your note captures it well. I should open another of these soon, in case it decides to shut down.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Has your six year old lost the taste for wine yet, Patrick?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote:OK I will get the ball rolling

2000 La Tour Haut Brion

Double decanted at 5pm four hours before the conference. Still taut, youthful, with smoky, scorched earth notes, tensile and not particularly generous right now; coiled and strict, holding back something in reserve. As the call progressed it began to loosen up a little, with some nice ripe plummy fruit, and a lot of minerals & schisty stuff going on, it has a smooth mouthfeel and a long finish. Alex and Jim would love it as it is, whereas stefan, David, and of course Patrick would say this needs at least one Blanquito. First of a case, you have to start somewhere. This will be really hitting its stride between now and 2040.
I had the 98 of LHB at an NYC offline with JC et al. a couple of years ago, and while very promising, it came across as real infanticide to be drinking now, especially in a line-up of wines from the 70s and 80s. Sounds like the 00 was just as primary.

But this is/was a great estate that rarely gets any attention despite commanding a very serious premium over virtually any other wine in Graves aside from the Big Two.
sdr

Post by sdr »

2000 Margaux will be a very great wine someday but it really needs a Blanquito x2 to reach its apogee. Extraordinary intensity, too much for K but not for me. Wonderfully fragrant. Very dark fruit, the blackness of the Cabernet Sauvignon tamed by the Merlot. A touch overripe perhaps but I love the underlying bit of prune. Formidable but sweet tannins. Gorgeous deep ruby color. When Margaux is on, it’s incomparable and unique. Paul Pontallier was a master.

Stu

PS: this was the bottle I intended to bring to the Convention, sorry I couldn’t share it with all of you
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Great showing by 2000 Trotanoy. The second the cork was pulled, fabulous old school aged Bordeaux aroma of tobacco and truffles. Very fresh, lively mouth feel. Very tasty but not quite as rich and powerful as the 1998. We liked it a lot. Glad to have 5 more bottles. This is the last vintage of Trotanoy that I bought - just got too expensive for me.

Chris Bublitz
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Constantly trying to get love for southern rhones, my magnum of 2005 Domaine Font de Michelle Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Etienne Gonnet was in a great place last night, drinking well on its own but a seamless integration with the grilled carne asada with mrs v's delicious golden mashed potatoes. Plenty of but not over the top fruit with a nice layer of tannins providing structure and good length. I will move the dragon and get to my stash of 2000 Bordeaux for a future zoom tasting. It was great to see new and familiar faces yesterday!
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jay, I'm familiar with that producer and the Etienne Gonnet cuvee. I had a case of the 2000 vintage of the wine, and enjoyed every bottle of it. Sadly, I drank several of them too young. It seems to be a wine that ages very well.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Wonderful to see everyone on Zoom!

1982 Lynch - Dark ruby with tints of medium brown throughout, and very fine sediment. Fresh nose of pencil lead and cherry. Clean, fresh, layered, raspberry, cherry, smoke, pencil lead, earth, integrated flavors, soft tannins, long finish, but a bit thin throughout. An elegant wine. BD said on the Zoom call, the 82s are "old school", which is just fine by me. Very enjoyable. 94

The big risk was this was a very low shoulder ullage bottle. Can't recall when (or why) I bought such a bottle but maybe it was on eBay France years ago and they did a switch on me?

Michael-P
Last edited by Michael-P on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Blanquito wrote:
Nicklasss wrote:2015 Chateau Siran is an excellent, even more than excellent fot the price. Dark color, nose of concentrayed blsckberries and red Margaux berries, light spices, light oak and some rasberries. In mouth, young but with that balanced power, flavored with red berries, cinnamon, spices, more red fruits. Oak well integrated in the fruit. The 14 % alcohol is just at the limited right level. Will improved easily on 10 years. Tn: 91.

Nic
Love this wine, your note captures it well. I should open another of these soon, in case it decides to shut down.
I agree with you both. Patrick turned me on to this wine and I keep Howing them. Had one just last week.
tim

Post by tim »

1970 Ducru Beaucaillou

I had pulled this wine for the BWE France dinner at Alex's, mostly due to an earlier thread that Stuart had started following his 1970 retrospective tasting. I haven't been a fan of the 1970 vintage, but was challenged on that a bit with a couple of wines in particular, including the 1970 Ducru. I happened to have purchased one awhile back at an auction, so thought it would be fun to open when we all got together.

Unfortunately, the BWE trip was not meant to be, so what better opportunity than on the first BWE zoom virtual tasting. I opened about four hours earlier, and didn't pour until the conference started so as to keep my palate fresh. The color was a crimson red with a touch of rust, typical of a 50 year old wine. On the nose I immediately had some green pepper (which I'm not actually a fan of), but surrounded by red and black berries. There was a touch of cedar but not too pronounced. The tannins were soft, and were definitely showing their presence the longer the wine was swishing around on the palate. It had a medium length. I wouldn't call the wine light, nor would I call it a powerhouse. More like an elegant St. Julien that has kept her form into her 50's, though might not be the same as her former self. A pleasure to behold and classy, but lacking the greatness of so many of her peers, both younger and older.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

DavidG wrote:
Blanquito wrote:

Nic
I agree with you both. Patrick turned me on to this wine and I keep Howing them. Had one just last week.
I got a couple at Costco, probably should have bought more. Now I'm too afraid to return.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

2001 Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey Sauternes Gold color. Nose of sweet pear, vanilla, pineapple. Taste was a wonderful balance of sweet/acid/flavor. Delish, but for the 4 hours opened there was no noted change, suggesting it could go on many years. 95
tim

Post by tim »

I need to drink more Sauternes
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Harry C. wrote:2001 Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey Sauternes Gold color. Nose of sweet pear, vanilla, pineapple. Taste was a wonderful balance of sweet/acid/flavor. Delish, but for the 4 hours opened there was no noted change, suggesting it could go on many years. 95
Harry would you rate it higher than the Peter Michael Chardonnay? The one that knocked it out of the park?

I was so buzzed last night that I opened a half of 1990 Yquem close to midnight.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Comparing apples to horses. This Sauternes was very good, but I suspect there are better in my cellar-all from 2001. PM Chards are a dry option better with fish, cream sauces. My present favorites in the PM barn is Cuvee Indigene-more consistent year in/out. Point Rouge, the one we had in Bordeaux, showed very well, but-as you found out- are not everyone's cup of tea. (but as words I live by-More for me!) I find I now like them (the Cali Chards) best with some age-7-10 years and decanted for 1-2 hours. I brought this to Bordeaux as you guys don't likely have the opportunity to try things like this.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Ian:
I opened two 90 Yquem's in Jan+Feb 2019 and both were disappointing compared to what I remember some +10 years ago. These were flat and less sweet than I recall. Seems statistically unlikely but could they have both been slightly corked?
Michael-P
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Mike P-didn't get a chance to say Hey to U and H. I've always liked the 88 over its stable-mates 89/90 because of the better acidity. I found the next 2 "flabby"-perhaps a bit of a tough word to use as I like them all, but the 88 IMO have held up the best.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

That’s been my experience with the 88/89/90 Yquem triumvirate too, Harry.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Here's my tasting note on the 2009 Chateau Talbot from Saturday. It was my third bottle from this vintage.

Decanted at 1pm and waited 3 hours to start tasting.
Was fully open by 4:30. Modest blackfruit nose. On the palate, rich black cherry and cassis with a sweet core, just a hint of briar, smooth tannins, and enough acidity to carry the elegant finish. Very well put together.
spikegrhm

Post by spikegrhm »

2005 Domains De L'Eglise (Pomerol). This wine is fully mature. Big blueberry nose. Beef blood, mineral and blueberries on the palate. Tannins are resolved with moderate acidity and a medium finish. Not a big wine, but a really pleasant mature 2005.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hey Spike, pleased to "meet" you the other day.
Mr. Vino says he going to be in the panhandle this summer, I'm going to try to coordinate a trip down there when he's there.

Harry: I brought four bottles of 1990 d'Yquem to NYC '03. I thought it was a major disappointment, flabby, even back then.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

1996 Pontet Canet

I was just starting to develop my interest in Bordeaux wines about the time that the 95's and 96's were in the market. I bought a case of the 1996 Pontet Canet, but had not tasted it until a few months ago. I opened this bottle 3 hours before our Zoom meeting. The wine needs time to open up; it still seems pretty young to me at age 23+. It had concentrated dark berry flavors, noticeable but not hard tannins, still a very "fresh" nose and flavors; it has a nice long finish. I saved about one glass in the bottle (after Paula took her share on Saturday), and finished it last night; it was every bit as tasty as on Saturday. I look forward to enjoying my remaining bottles of this wine over the next 10+ years.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow you did well to hold off on that case, Jon, Nicola and I had the last one from my case in DC a couple years ago.
It's a great wine.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JCNorthway wrote:...The wine needs time to open up; it still seems pretty young to me at age 23+...
Now this is my kinda tasting note.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Two years ago Nicola and I thought the last bottle from my case was right on point.

Two years later Jon and Patrick think the first bottle from his case needs more time.

Ah, the beauty of BWE.

(Myself, I can't imagine how this wine gets better than what it is at the 24 year mark...)
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 96 Pontet Canet is close to Howquito, I think...

Controversial d’Yquem comment for the day: the 95, 96, 97 and 98 vintages are as essentially as good and certainly more consistent than the more famous 88, 89 and 90 trio. Discuss.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Like my brother said one day at Jal's place : "Yquem is Yquem!".

Yquem is always glorious (except the oxydized dead 1986 Yquem I opened in January with dstgolf and JeanFred).

In the nice streak that blanquito is identifying, i think just the 1988 i never had, but all others are glorious.

Maybe another question: have you ever taste an Yquem that you would rate below 90 points? Or below 91-92 points is more right?

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

One of the best d'Yquems I've ever had was the 2011 we tasted at the estate itself in 2015.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ve definitely been underwhelmed by the 89 d’Yquem and I’ve outright poor bottles of the 90. But d’Yquem is a victim of its own brilliance - we hold it to a very high standard.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Blanquito wrote:I’ve definitely been underwhelmed by the 89 d’Yquem and I’ve outright poor bottles of the 90. But d’Yquem is a victim of its own brilliance - we hold it to a very high standard.
Blanquito, so you had some 1989 and 1990 Yquem that you would rate below 91 points?

And yes the 2011 we had at the Chateau in 2015, was a delightfull and clearly near perfect young Yquem.

Personnally I had the 2003 twice, one was amazing, the other was excellent. Both >91 points easily.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Blanquito wrote:Controversial d’Yquem comment for the day: the 95, 96, 97 and 98 vintages are as essentially as good and certainly more consistent than the more famous 88, 89 and 90 trio. Discuss.
I’ve had 1988 and 1989 Yquem multiple times. The '88 was consistently killer. The '89 was also consistently great but a step behind the '88 - not quite as crisp. Most purchased on release but a couple of '88s were aftermarket and in good shape. I haven’t had the 1990, 1995, 1996, or 1997 often enough to comment on consistency and don’t recall if I’ve had the 1998. I’d like to say I preferred the 1988 but can’t really answer Patrick’s question as I’ve never had them side by side. Sure would be a fun exercise. I’d put the 2001 in as strong contender for best living Yquem, though it’s still too young.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’d rate even the subpar bottles of d’Yquem at least 91 pts, for sure Nic. I think it’s more that I consider 91 pts a disappointment... for a d’Yquem. I’ve rated the 95, 96 and 98 d’Yquem all 94-95 pts or higher.

I’ve only had the 88 (consistently terrific) and 89 a few times each, and all bottles were purchased secondhand via auctions, so there’s that.